~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 99 100 101 ... 137 138 139
 Asura.Nuance
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2020-11-12 16:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m pretty sure that he’ll spam shell occasionally but it’s cool to know bash will take it off np if needed
 Gilgamesh.Daviant
Server: Gilgamesh
user: daviant
By Gilgamesh.Daviant 2020-11-26 12:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

For a new pld, would you guys recommend nixxer or malignance sword.
By Seraphpdh 2020-11-26 12:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Daviant said: »
Personally I used Malignance over Nixxer except in a few very niche situations. The only real time I used Nixxer was if I really needed the extra PDT- to cap at 50% for whatever reason. I preferred the higher base damage, better overall melee stats, fast cast, status ailment resist, and auto refresh on pretty much everything that mattered.

I was never able to get a good roll on Brilliance, so I used Malignance Sword until I made a Burtgang.
[+]
By zixxer 2020-11-27 23:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I did all endgame events with Nixxer. This was before Malig came out. It took care of me through engame. I eventually completed my Burt and it made all of the above easier.

If you had to choose between Malig sword and Nixxer, based on the stats I would recommend Malig.

Edit: I'm assuming you're using this for tanking in a group and not DDing.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2020-11-28 06:16:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Gonna go with a third recommend for Malignance for a newbie.
It's actually a pretty decent sword overall... but also just sorta weird.
You'll miss that refresh and 45 MP when you stop using it... and that "locked" FC...
And while the resist status effect might as well not exist, that 25 INT and MND really help with resists (and reducing magical damage if you haven't finished Aegis).
People also tend to sleep on MDB too, but it's a stupidly powerful effect that I earnestly wish Shell was instead of MDT...
Malignance is just an really weirdly decend sword that "doesn't really do anything" but does a lot at the same time.

Only problem is that it could be a *** and a half to get your hands on it as a newbie.
Brilliance and Nixxer might be easier to get real "first" swords.
I used Anahera Sword for years with good results, it's much easier to get than Malignance, has a bit of the enfeeble resistance and has shield skill increasing block rate.
Deacon is a good one too. But, like Malignance, it might be problematic for a new person to get.

Between the ones I mentioned I'd rate them:
Brilliance <<< Nixer < Anahera << Deacon < Malignance
By HyperKTM 2020-11-28 06:54:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Flyssa
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-11-28 07:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If only Nixxer got enmity on one of its paths it would be a decent tanking sword.

HyperKTM said: »
Flyssa

Just no. It might bring a lot of acc/macc when at rank 15 but thats really all it brings. The PDT and DT are wasted with current tanking sets as its stupidly easy to cap with the +1 Souveran set and accessories. Like Nixxer if it had enmity or reduces enmity loss instead of the DT it would be worth using.

most fights ill use Brilliance, since i dont have Burtgang, for the enmity+14 all the other things it has are just a bonus. I keep Malig Sword on me though just in case i need the extra resists or the refresh.
[+]
 Asura.Jinbe
By Asura.Jinbe 2020-11-30 03:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

would be nice if ppl share some tanking sets "Turtle Set" there is alot of options out there and can make some idea
By Felgarr 2020-11-30 03:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my Turtle set where I use 2 slots for Damage->MP. All Souveran pieces are Path C for HP+/Enmity:
Code
<main>Burtgang</main>
<sub>Aegis</sub>
<ammo>Staunch Tathlum +1</ammo>
<head augment="D15938765744130">Souv. Schaller +1</head>
<body augment="D15938765744130">Souv. Cuirass +1</body>
<hands augment="D15938765744130">Souv. Handsch. +1</hands>
<legs augment="D15938765744130">Souv. Diechlings +1</legs>
<feet augment="D15938765744130">Souveran Schuhs +1</feet>
<neck>Kgt. Beads +2</neck>
<waist>Flume Belt +1</waist>
<ear1>Etiolation Earring</ear1>
<ear2>Ethereal Earring</ear2>
<ring1>Moonlight Ring</ring1>
<ring2>Defending Ring</ring2>
<back>Moonlight Cape</back>
 Asura.Akivatoo
user: Akivatoo
By Asura.Akivatoo 2020-11-30 03:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The one i use :
Code
    ammo="Staunch Tathlum +1",
    head={ name="Souv. Schaller +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    body={ name="Souv. Cuirass +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    hands={ name="Souv. Handsch. +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    legs={ name="Souv. Diechlings +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    feet={ name="Souveran Schuhs +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    neck="Kgt. Beads +2",
    waist="Gold Mog. Belt",
    right_ear="Tuisto Earring",
    left_ear="Odnowa Earring +1",
    left_ring="Moonlight Ring",
    right_ring="Moonlight Ring",
    back={ name="Rudianos's Mantle", augments={'VIT+20','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','VIT+10','Enmity+10','Mag. Evasion+15',}},
By zixxer 2020-12-01 05:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's mine
Code
ammo="Staunch Tathlum",
    head={ name="Souv. Schaller +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    body={ name="Souv. Cuirass +1", augments={'VIT+12','Attack+25','"Refresh"+3',}},
    hands={ name="Souv. Handsch. +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    legs={ name="Souv. Diechlings +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    feet={ name="Souveran Schuhs +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    --neck="Loricate Torque +1",
	neck={ name="Kgt. Beads +2", augments={'Path: A',}},
    waist="Asklepian Belt",
    left_ear={ name="Odnowa Earring +1", augments={'Path: A',},priority=1},
    right_ear={ name="Odnowa Earring",priority=1},
    left_ring={ name="Gelatinous Ring +1", augments={'Path: A',}},
    right_ring="Defending Ring",
    back={ name="Rudianos's Mantle", augments={'HP+60','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','HP+20','Enmity+10','Phys. dmg. taken-10%',}},
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2020-12-01 08:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gotenn said: »
I'm going to put this out there so people don't have to search, here are the current sets I'm using. There are plenty of upgrades but to give people and idea of what to look for:

ItemSet 361825

ItemSet 361826

ItemSet 361827
Note: I have Weatherspoon ring for RNG.

ItemSet 361828

ItemSet 361830
This set should cast on top of your precast enmity set. If your worried that you'll be missing enmity in the open slots, you can fill it in fully with your enmity gear.

ItemSet 361831
Dualism collar to offset the loss of HP from mantle.

All of these sets are designed to keep you at or above 3000 hp, the only of which is Phalanx that drops me the most (2999 hp no food), all others are only ~100 loss. My engaged/supertank hp is 3141.
(edit: typo)

still mostly current sets that I use, once I got it dialed in I havent bothered too much with changing things, this will at least give you an idea of a starting point, Also good if you want to see how to use gear priority in your gearswap to allow higher HP peices to go on first so that your HP doesn't tank then recover.

Edit: May make a few changes to my tank/supertank set, to include AF feet +3 and Ethereal earring, if MP becomes more important for self curing.
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2020-12-01 08:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit Phalanx set has changed, heres the updated code:
Code
    sets.midcast.Phalanx = set_combine(sets.midcast.FastRecast, {
        head={ name="Yorium Barbuta", augments={'Spell interruption rate down -8%','Phalanx +3',}},
        body={ name="Yorium Cuirass", augments={'Spell interruption rate down -8%','Phalanx +3',}},
        hands={ name="Souv. Handsch. +1", augments={'HP+65','Shield skill +15','Phys. dmg. taken -4',}},
        legs={ name="Yorium Cuisses", augments={'Spell interruption rate down -9%','Phalanx +3',}},
        waist={ name="Creed Baudrier", priority=15},
        left_ear={ name="Odnowa Earring +1", priority=15},
        right_ear={ name="Tuisto Earring", priority=15},
        left_ring={ name="Moonbeam Ring", priority=15},
        back={ name="Weard Mantle", augments={'VIT+2','DEX+2','Enmity+5','Phalanx +4',}},
		neck={ name="Dualism Collar +1", priority=15},})
 Asura.Akivatoo
By Asura.Akivatoo 2020-12-01 10:16:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Code
        head={ name="Yorium Barbuta", augments={'Spell interruption rate down -8%','Phalanx +3',}},
        body={ name="Yorium Cuirass", augments={'Spell interruption rate down -8%','Phalanx +3',}},
        hands={ name="Souv. Handsch. +1", augments={'HP+65','Shield skill +15','Phys. dmg. taken -4',}},
        legs={ name="Yorium Cuisses", augments={'Spell interruption rate down -9%','Phalanx +3',}},
        back={ name="Weard Mantle", augments={'VIT+2','DEX+2','Enmity+5','Phalanx +4',}},
		neck={ name="Dualism Collar +1", priori[s][/s]ty=15},})

here is my set (phalanx +67):
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-12-01 12:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Akivatoo said: »
Code
		neck={ name="Dualism Collar +1", priori[s][/s]ty=15},})

here is my set (phalanx +67):

How much HP does that put down to I doubt its over 3k? Seem like a massive drop to me for a few gains in Phalanx with enhancing skill.
By Aricomfy 2020-12-01 14:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm, I'm seeing a lack of Spell Interruption Rate Down in the sets above. During my testing, even with a decked out Precast set that included SIRD, I'd still get interrupted casting Phalanx while pulling 10+ mobs pretty reliably. My assumption was that Precast AND Midcast need 105% SIRD in order to function properly with 100% success rate.

Here's essentially what I came up with as """the best""" Phalanx set in terms of potency and SIRD.

ItemSet 374955

Having Phalanx +5 on Odyssean Feet is absolutely essential for this set to work at all, which is a shame, but if we're capping SIRD as well as Phalanx Potency, this would be the most ideal set. Your HP would be seeing a drop, no doubt about it, but there's really no other way to approach Phalanx perfection unless I'm missing something about the lack of SIRD in the sets posted above me?
 Asura.Akivatoo
By Asura.Akivatoo 2020-12-01 14:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Aricomfy said: »
Hmmm, I'm seeing a lack of Spell Interruption Rate Down in the sets above. During my testing, even with a decked out Precast set that included SIRD, I'd still get interrupted casting Phalanx while pulling 10+ mobs pretty reliably. My assumption was that Precast AND Midcast need 105% SIRD in order to function properly with 100% success rate.

Here's essentially what I came up with as """the best""" Phalanx set in terms of potency and SIRD.

ItemSet 374955

Having Phalanx +5 on Odyssean Feet is absolutely essential for this set to work at all, which is a shame, but if we're capping SIRD as well as Phalanx Potency, this would be the most ideal set. Your HP would be seeing a drop, no doubt about it, but there's really no other way to approach Phalanx perfection unless I'm missing something about the lack of SIRD in the sets posted above me?

About 1k HP lost during the switch, so just have to keep reprisal up full time and I cure just after to hate improvement.
By Aricomfy 2020-12-01 14:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Akivatoo said: »
About 1k HP lost during the switch, so just have to keep reprisal up full time and I cure just after to hate improvement.

I can see the argument for this. I mean, it would work, absolutely. Just slipped my mind since I've been unsubbed for a while now, I've forgotten a few things. Interesting. With Priwen though, Reprisal may not be your savior 99.99% of the time unlike Ochain. Idk, I just made the set under the scenario of just getting Phalanx up at all cost and nothing else. Pretty massive balls relying on having Reprisal up at all times though in order to refresh Phalanx. I'll have to give that approach a go when ever the stars align and I get a pair of Regal Gauntlets for Reprisal.
By FaeQueenCory 2020-12-01 15:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

My assumption was that Precast AND Midcast need 105% SIRD in order to function properly with 100% success rate.
I'm pretty sure that SIR is "midcast" only. e.g. that it doesn't do anything for precast. (though I suppose there's gonna be that window between swapping where there could be a hit and thus an interrupt)

There's also Audumbla sash that gives you more PDT... Though I think that would only bump you up to -26%?
I think other people are stacking more DT since, iirc, getting hit for 0 won't cause an interrupt.
By Aricomfy 2020-12-01 15:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
(though I suppose there's gonna be that window between swapping where there could be a hit and thus an interrupt)

There's also Audumbla sash that gives you more PDT... Though I think that would only bump you up to -26%?
I think other people are stacking more DT since, iirc, getting hit for 0 won't cause an interrupt.

That window between Precast and Midcast is so small, you wouldn't think it would be the culprit for interrupts, but it absolutely is the biggest troublemaker on large pulls, or hell, even single pulls. That's why I put SIRD in both my Precast and Midcast because without it, I was getting interrupted around 15-20% of the time on large pulls and once or twice during an ambuscade fight as an example. I also don't have a full time Reprisal set yet, so that also went into creating that set because I personally can't rely on Reprisal while others might be able to. So I guess the set I posted is good when 100% uptime Reprisal isn't an option yet for somebody.

Also, thanks for reminding me about the Sash, I added it to the gearset, I keep forgetting about Domain Invasion gear.
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-12-01 15:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 374955

I cant remember the last time i really had a problem getting phalanx up and i only have around 50% SIRD in my phalanx set. That being said i dont normally swap in Priwen and just cast it with Ochain on and i also reapply phalanx before it wears off.

My Phalanx set.
Code
ammo="Staunch Tathlum",
    head={ name="Valorous Mask", augments={'Accuracy+1 Attack+1','DEX+3','Phalanx +4','Mag. Acc.+12 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+12',}},
    body={ name="Yorium Cuirass", augments={'Accuracy+20','Spell interruption rate down -9%','Phalanx +3',}},
    hands={ name="Souv. Handsch. +1",priority=5, augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    legs={ name="Yorium Cuisses", augments={'Evasion+16','Spell interruption rate down -9%','Phalanx +3',}},
    feet={ name="Souveran Schuhs +1",priority=6, augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    neck="Incanter's Torque",
    waist="Audumbla Sash",
    left_ear="Tuisto Earring",priority=2,
    right_ear={ name="Odnowa Earring +1", augments={'Path: A',}},priority=3,
    left_ring={ name="Gelatinous Ring +1",priority=1, augments={'Path: A',}},
    right_ring="Moonbeam Ring",
    back={ name="Weard Mantle", augments={'VIT+1','DEX+1','Phalanx +5',}},}
By Aricomfy 2020-12-01 16:01:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
I cant remember the last time i really had a problem getting phalanx up and i only have around 50% SIRD in my phalanx set. That being said i dont normally swap in Priwen and just cast it with Ochain on and i also reapply phalanx before it wears off.

My Phalanx set.
Code
ammo="Staunch Tathlum",
    head={ name="Valorous Mask", augments={'Accuracy+1 Attack+1','DEX+3','Phalanx +4','Mag. Acc.+12 "Mag.Atk.Bns."+12',}},
    body={ name="Yorium Cuirass", augments={'Accuracy+20','Spell interruption rate down -9%','Phalanx +3',}},
    hands={ name="Souv. Handsch. +1",priority=5, augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    legs={ name="Yorium Cuisses", augments={'Evasion+16','Spell interruption rate down -9%','Phalanx +3',}},
    feet={ name="Souveran Schuhs +1",priority=6, augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
    neck="Incanter's Torque",
    waist="Audumbla Sash",
    left_ear="Tuisto Earring",priority=2,
    right_ear={ name="Odnowa Earring +1", augments={'Path: A',}},priority=3,
    left_ring={ name="Gelatinous Ring +1",priority=1, augments={'Path: A',}},
    right_ring="Moonbeam Ring",
    back={ name="Weard Mantle", augments={'VIT+1','DEX+1','Phalanx +5',}},}

Well, having Ochain on would definitely help prevent interruptions and you may also have Reprisal up to boot. It's really interesting to me seeing so many sets without SIRD in them as if a whole new world just opened up for possibilities. I have no idea why I never thought about keeping Phalanx up along with the ability to full-time Reprisal. Completely changes a lot of things like having room now for much higher HP and more DT. This was enlightening for me, I appreciate everyone posting their sets and making this click in my head. Gonna start thinking about a revised Phalanx set now.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-12-01 16:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
(though I suppose there's gonna be that window between swapping where there could be a hit and thus an interrupt)

That window between Precast and Midcast is so small, you wouldn't think it would be the culprit for interrupts, but it absolutely is the biggest troublemaker on large pulls, or hell, even single pulls. That's why I put SIRD in both my Precast and Midcast because without it, I was getting interrupted around 15-20% of the time on large pulls and once or twice during an ambuscade fight as an example. I also don't have a full time Reprisal set yet, so that also went into creating that set because I personally can't rely on Reprisal while others might be able to. So I guess the set I posted is good when 100% uptime Reprisal isn't an option yet for somebody.

Also, thanks for reminding me about the Sash, I added it to the gearset, I keep forgetting about Domain Invasion gear.
If you aren't using gearswap, carry on. There will be a gap.

If you are using gear swap, though, there is literally no gap between pre and midcast. They go out in the same chunk, and the server will equip precast gear, initiate the cast, and change to midcast with no gap that you can possibly be hit during.

I've never used SIRD in precast, and I have mass pulled waves and waves of mobs for everything from dynamis D wave 2 cleave, to cleaving job points before I was mastered. And the only time I ever had interruption issues was when I discovered my SIRD set wasn't actually capped.
My assumption was that Precast AND Midcast need 105% SIRD in order to function properly with 100% success rate.
In this post I initially had a 101% SIRD set going, and was getting interrupted, if at a low rate. I then added 1% more to hit 102% and the interrupts stopped entirely. So 101% was insufficient, and 102% can cap you. I also did not Precast SIRD in either test, as usual.
[+]
By Aricomfy 2020-12-01 16:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that you mention it, I myself may have had a flawed Midcast set for Phalanx. I'm only getting 93% from the set I was using during that time frame. For some reason, when I first did the math for that set, I added in an extra 10% somewhere and thought I was rolling with 103% the whole time. Welp.

And about the no SIRD in Precast, I can see now why it wouldn't be needed, all I had to do was count properly. Feel like an idiot, but it wouldn't be normal if I wasn't one.

On the note of adjusting my sets to account for Reprisal being up full time, I've come up with two variations. You can swap the neck pieces for both sets and you'd still be perfectly fine, I just thought I'd add them both just for show. Can use a second Moonlight Ring if you want to level out the gap between PDT and MDT.

Set 1 focuses on keeping HP at 3K as well as high -DT.
ItemSet 376853

Set 2 focuses on keeping HP above 3K and decent -DT.
ItemSet 376854

EDIT: Adjusted set 2 to be more in line with set 1. If you have Phalanx + 4-5 through Dark Matter augments, then obviously that would replace Yorium.
 Bismarck.Amancalledhero
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Amancalledhero 2020-12-04 14:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, been tanking for dyna group for a few months and I've been working on a decent magevasion set for pld and I've been able to survive ninja volte / Shinobi Volte Mijin Gakure. Damage has been around 400-800, tho I've also taken full 99,999 dmg by shinobi as well lol. Tested a few other times with screenshots but this was on last night's run.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-12-04 16:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been doing much the same since I finished my Volte set.(I got the pieces I needed most last, of course, legs then feet.)

I dualbox my WHM too, so I can abuse cureskin.

Been using this set specifically when there's a NIN present, with pretty good results. Swap back to regular set+Ochain after Mijin.
ItemSet 375860
Should be +711 Magic Evasion.

This puts my HP around ~3200 with food, so with rampart up, you can survive even an unresisted Mijin, if just barely. But most don't hit that hard.
 Bismarck.Amancalledhero
By Bismarck.Amancalledhero 2020-12-04 17:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
I've been doing much the same since I finished my Volte set.(I got the pieces I needed most last, of course, legs then feet.)

I dualbox my WHM too, so I can abuse cureskin.

Been using this set specifically when there's a NIN present, with pretty good results. Swap back to regular set+Ochain after Mijin.
ItemSet 375860
Should be +711 Magic Evasion.

This puts my HP around ~3200 with food, so with rampart up, you can survive even an unresisted Mijin, if just barely. But most don't hit that hard.

Nice! yeah thats pretty much the set i have on it, just different accessories. I got a Moralltach couple weeks ago and messing around/lvling it up right now. Gives a great HP boost and refresh, but i feel tanking wave3, Burtgang definitely takes the crown on tanking.
 Bismarck.Amancalledhero
By Bismarck.Amancalledhero 2020-12-04 17:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Setup works on Ambuscade last month on NM nin's mijin II. Well this was the only time i survived it. Might be a fluke? Usually die to it haha
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-12-04 19:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow. Were you wearing Aegis for that? Assuming Mijin II isn't the *** ignores MDT sort... Actually, MDT has to have applied. There's no other way that could have been survived.

Assuming 99,999 base dmg, a full resist would put it at 12,499 dmg. Dead. Apply Rampart to get 9,374. Still deeead. But if MDT works, and Aegis+capped MDT then 99k*0.125*0.125=1,562. Survivable without even using Rampart. Although it hit you a bit harder than that... slightly uncapped MDT? Or the base dmg is actually higher than 99k. A base dmg of 120k reduced by a 1/8 resist then aegis+capped MDT would be 1,875 which is close but still a bit too low.

And anything less than a full resist and boom. Still, neat to see it happen at all. lol
First Page 2 3 ... 99 100 101 ... 137 138 139