Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Tips for Red Mage Maat
Tips for Red Mage Maat
First Page 2
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-08-19 16:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just curious if anyone had any tips on the Shattering Stars Red Mage Maat fight? I've heard some horror stories and personally seen a friend of mine go 0/13 before finally beating him a few years back. I tried him once a year or so ago just for kicks and it didn't work out so well. Was considering trying again sometime and was wondering if anyone had any pointers?
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-08-19 16:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

This is how I did it:
RDM69

Stoneskin/Blink/Refresh
Chainspell
Diaga (Wipe any shadows Maat has)
Aero III x3
Vile Elixar (+1)
Aero III x2

He only hit me once I think and the fight was over in 1m20s including me buffing myself.

I tried doing this to start with as RDM66 and dispelling/sleeping/blah blah blah. At RDM66 he resists everything and its just not worth the time.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-19 17:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it years ago... first time I lost cause I forgot they had just made it so blink sometimes misses so when I went to dia down his shadows 1 got thru...

Went in at 69. Full enfeebling/int gear for sleeps and full int/MAB for nukes. Basically landed sleep about 80-90% of the time so with sleep1 as backup to sleep2 was fine. Just slepted dispelled and nuked. Keeping stoneskin refresh and haste on myself. Let him sleep longer on his chainspell and kept at it. Didnt take any dmg. Didnt use any meds and didnt use chainspell. Even had a good 400-500 mp left... though I did convert once.
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-08-19 17:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sweet. Like I said, I'd tried him once a long time ago and had my *** handed to me basically lol. Eventually I'm going to be trying for a Maat's Cap (maybe) and was thinking about going ahead and giving him a shot with some of my 75's that I haven't beaten him with, Red Mage being one of them.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-08-19 17:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Really easy way to do it (Easier than any other option, if you have the gil to waste on Elixirs) would be to

Chainspell
Aero III
Stoneskin
Aero III
Blink
Aero III
Stoneskin
Lather
Rinse
Repeat
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-08-19 18:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I went 1/11

lol..3 of those tries were my younger brother though because I got so frustrated I asked him to do it then I criticized him the whole time telling him he's doing it wrong..for never playing rdm he actually gave maat a run for his money through the standard sleep+nuke method.

When I won, I woke up at like 6am and was half asleep...which was good for me because I freak out in boss fights, or atleast back then I was because I wasnt used to relying on myself that much. If I was lvl69 again I could probably do it no problem.

I went in on windsday, buffed up in everything.
Chainspell
Diaga'd him
aero3 spamage
use vile elixir
continue aero3 spamage
vile elixir+1

and he was dead.

his blink continuously killed me in previous attempts. His blink is actually utsusemi and it absorbs everything.
 Lakshmi.Lianua
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lianua
By Lakshmi.Lianua 2009-08-19 18:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

My first try was the nonstop chainspell nuke nuke nuke stoneskin nuke nuke.. etc method.

I lost.

Second try was the standard sleep nuke buff and repeat method. Won first try, Was an EASY fight, imo. vile elixer was a must though.
 Fairy.Blackmist
Server: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-08-19 19:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Took me 4 times, mainly cause i was Goofing around, (66,67,69,70)

I whent in w/ Af, Vermys, enlighten chain, Red cape +1 anti-Venom earring, wind, dark, light staff buggard +1 grip, phantom Tathlum, Moldy earring, a Hmp belt and Rajas/ unyealing ring,

* Like i said, goofing around *

I ran up to maat, used a Cream puff, Casted Sleep on him, it stuck, then i hit Dispel, then stoneskin, dispel, Refresh, dispel, blink, dispel, by now, he had no more buffs,

i threw on my vermys rested up, waited for full Mp, then hit him with Aero III, re-slept, Aero III, untell he hit his 2hr, Then i slept him once more. hit convert, and healed my self to full, hit chain spell, and started casting Aero III, Failed to notice his 2hr was still up so he hit me w a nuke, got blink off, and put bio II on me, i managed to re sleep him with 20Mp left and rested with Stoneskin ~ got 150 Mp casted off one last nuke, and hoped for the best~ and i won, 20Hp, 0Mp left XD

Edit: I didn't use a Vile Elixer or any meds other then a few muslems (instant 10 Mp) only 3 of them, extra 30mp saved me, was able to cast Stoneskin cause if it =D
 Carbuncle.Deadlymidget
user:
By Carbuncle.Deadlymidget 2009-08-19 19:07:40
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Don't let him Asuran Fist you....
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-19 19:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lianua said:
My first try was the nonstop chainspell nuke nuke nuke stoneskin nuke nuke.. etc method.

I lost.

Second try was the standard sleep nuke buff and repeat method. Won first try, Was an EASY fight, imo. vile elixer was a must though.

Not really I did it without any meds using that method no resting and still had a good 400mp...
 Fairy.Blackmist
Server: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-08-19 19:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

This is how i lost my 3rd try i woke him up well his 2hr was up an i woak him up >.< he got blink up - he hit me w Asuan fist SS blink & phanx an it keeld me
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-08-19 19:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's my most recent attempt.

I don't like buffing myself at the start as this also gives maat time to buff himself too.

You don't want him putting up blink or shell really. You can dispel them but getting there before he even can put them up is even better.

Start out with sleep I. If it resists use tier II sleep.

Next step is to dispel him. Like I said Shell on him will gimp your damage and to a degree make him resist magic more.

Stoneskin and blink are very important and shouldn't be neglected if you have time to cast them.

Once you got them up, it's time to start doing damage to him.

Aero III to maat and then use sleep I or II until he is slept again.

At this point one or both of your shadows could be gone. Reapply blink and use Aero III again.

You can likely repeat this cycle one more time before he starts to resist.

This next attempt be ready to go on the defensive. He will likely resist both sleeps. You could move a few steps and then stop. Immediately use bind and get some distance from him. It's important to try to cast bind between him hitting you because his interruption rate is pretty high. You will likely have no stoneskin or blink.

At this point reapply stoneskin only and rush him for another Aero III. If your damage is typical this should trigger his chainspell.

At this point his resistance to sleep should have lessened. Once he's sleeping get some distance. By now your mp is pretty low. Pretty much time to go for his balls here.

Use chainspell, Convert, Cure IV, Stoneskin Cure II, Blink, Aero III Aero III, Aero III, Aero II and that should force him to quit.
 Caitsith.Xiong
Server: Caitsith
user: Xiong
By Caitsith.Xiong 2009-08-19 21:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

#1 rule, to use the CS Aero III method properly, skill up your elemental magic. Lvling as a RDM you don't get to nuke much past 4O.
 Hades.Lisamarie
Server: Hades
user: Lisamarie
By Hades.Lisamarie 2009-08-19 21:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

- Moldavite Earring is something u should get if you don't got.
- Vile Elixirs saved my life. I would bring at least 2 to be safe and use it when u feel you can win the fight. - if you see you gonna die just die like a man, and dont waste more money lol.
- Cap your enfeebling and elemental (Assault PSC Excavation Duty is the best way to cap elemental magic imo, not to mention Besieged).
- Practice on Ruby Quadav, although he is not as hard as Maat, it's a nice way to practice your nuke/sleeping skills and farming a testimony.
- Enter fight on a Darksday.
- Some ppl told me if you enter naked it's gonna be easier, cause maat reflects your status. I don't know if this is true, but guess what? The one time I entered naked I won.
 Valefor.Woodman
Server: Valefor
user: Woodman
By Valefor.Woodman 2009-08-19 21:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I did this long ago for my Sister-in-Law. I forget what level she was but the trick I used was keeping her like 100 TNL and getting an XP scroll, and using it mid fight since they are fairly quick to use. Full HP and MP ftw.
 Seraph.Tarstark
Server: Seraph
user: Tarstark
By Seraph.Tarstark 2009-08-19 22:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it as 66 rdm. The most important thing you need is mac. acc. If your enfeebs don't stick, your toast(macro those in just for the enfeebs..). Also, take some yag drinks. yes, your a rdm. But popping a drink does 2 things. 1: Saves you 40 mp. 2. Is a faster than casting.
Another very important tip. Get the HQ staves. If you don't have them, borrow them. HQ ice/wind/ w/e can be the difference between an enfeeb sticking and it not
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-08-19 22:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess it would have been helpful to add that my Rdm is 75 and has been for some time lol. Dunno if it would affect anyone's post, but thought I'd throw it out there.
 Caitsith.Ryder
user: ryder75
By Caitsith.Ryder 2009-08-19 22:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I went 0-10 before I went 1-1 on DRK.. my advice, level another job to kill him with.
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-08-19 23:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ryder said:
I went 0-10 before I went 1-1 on DRK.. my advice, level another job to kill him with.

/sigh does no one really read previous posts anymore?
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-08-19 23:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

For me it was win it on RDM or hang it up.

Just remember when your in there and you get 2 resists from sleep in a row Bind him. Get some distance, put stoneskin back up and rush him again for aero III.

Contain him quickly and finish him off.
 Caitsith.Xiong
user: Xiong
By Caitsith.Xiong 2009-08-20 00:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

LMFAO Ryder you couldn't beat him w/ a DRK. That's just *** sad. Flame all you want, all melees have the same strat, and is 100% win.
 Carbuncle.Deadlymidget
user:
By Carbuncle.Deadlymidget 2009-08-20 00:45:56

Xiong said:
LMFAO Ryder you couldn't beat him w/ a DRK. That's just *** sad. Flame all you want, all melees have the same strat, and is 100% win.

DRK NEEDS KC TO BEAT MAAT THESE DAYS RAWR!
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-08-20 00:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Deadlymidget said:
Xiong said:

Lol, I seen someone shouting selling one for 50M in WG earlier, maybe if any Drk's on our server have KC they can buy theirs :D
 Carbuncle.Deadlymidget
user:
By Carbuncle.Deadlymidget 2009-08-20 00:55:24

Taintedone said:
Deadlymidget said:
Xiong said:

Lol, I seen someone shouting selling one for 50M in WG earlier, maybe if any Drk's on our server have KC they can buy theirs :D

Lol ya maybe we can get some of these drks to beat maat!
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-08-20 01:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

lol DRK Maat was stupid easy =) Standard sleep 100% tp, blink band, souleater, last resort, blood weapon, guillotine -> vile elixar -> guillotine -> maybe one more melee hit.
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-08-20 01:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny story....I leveled Ninja, went to fight Maat for the first time right? I'm nervous, buy some vile elixirs before I head up there, make sure I have all my Ninja enfeeb tools, etc. etc. Go in, went to hit macro for Jubaku starting out, accidentally hit the Mijin macro I had created earlier screwing around, blew myself up, fight was over in like 6 seconds. Maat's still laughing at my dumb *** to this day......

/fail :/
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-08-20 02:38:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Taintedone said:
Guess it would have been helpful to add that my Rdm is 75 and has been for some time lol. Dunno if it would affect anyone's post, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Then it will be easy.

Do the CS nuke method, but @ 75 you will have access to a decent nuking set up and should do nearly double the damage you do @ 70 with Areo III.

You shouldn't need too many meds as you will have a lot more MP too.

I did it at lvl 70 1/2 (first attempt was @ 66 with no food) following the:
Buff
Diaga
CS
Aero III lots
Stonesking
Aero III lots
Vile Elixir (as I didn't have enough MP, not to do with HP)
Aero III lots
Win
 Unicorn.Dulcinea
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Dulcinea 2009-08-20 03:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

My advice for the RDM Maat fight is to do the fight how it feels right for YOU to do it. I went in at 70 and lost to Maat three times when I fought him how other RDMs were suggesting that I do it (go in naked, buff up, et cetera). I also spent a LOT of gil because they were saying I needed Vile Elixer and +1, as well as Crimson Jelly. I DID need the elixers when I fought Maat the way friends suggested, and I still lost.

This was my first Maat fight ever, so at first I relied heavily on advice from other RDMs.

But when I went in and played it how I thought made sense MYSELF, I beat him so easily that I was shocked. I mean it was truly cake. And I spent barely any gil. I only took in Potions (the small ones) and ate some cheap mp food. Oh, and one Persikos au Lait.

I didn't even change my nuking staff to sleep him, and he stayed slept until I woke him up again. Both times that I slept him, it was with Sleep I, and it stuck.

I won the fight with lots of mp because I only had to nuke him once after I converted. I beat the record, too, and it wasn't because there'd been any maintenance recently that reset the record. It wasn't much over 1 minute.

So try not to put TOO much into how everyone else does it, and look at your own fighting style and your own gear options to see what makes sense.

Also, cap your skills. And go to Qulun Dome and clear the Ruby room a few times. It's good practice.
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-08-20 04:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Taintedone said:
Funny story....I leveled Ninja, went to fight Maat for the first time right? I'm nervous, buy some vile elixirs before I head up there, make sure I have all my Ninja enfeeb tools, etc. etc. Go in, went to hit macro for Jubaku starting out, accidentally hit the Mijin macro I had created earlier screwing around, blew myself up, fight was over in like 6 seconds. Maat's still laughing at my dumb *** to this day......

/fail :/

sorry, but lol.

I'm amazed people have so much trouble with this fight, but I'll drop my own tips like I usually do. Although, they have already been said.

1.) Get to 70.
2.) Cap your Enfeebling and Elemental. I used Steelshells.
3.) If you can try to borrow Elemental Torque, Enfeebling Torque, Enfeebling Earring, and Elemental Earring.
4.) Moldavite, P.rope, and anything else that boosts your INT.
5.) Ice/Wind/Dark staves.

Enter, full buff, rest full, diaga, bind, grav, dispel any buffs, and proceed to nuke+sleep+bind him. Wait for bind timer to cool down a bit before risking breaking it.
I am always amazed when I still hear people having so much trouble with this fight. I had good gear when I did it 1/1, but oh lord 0/13? I didn't even have to 2hr or use meds.
Just saw that your RDM is 75. If you lose at 75 I'm sorry but you need to retire RDM.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-08-20 04:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This is how I did RDM maat:

Step 1: Level BLM to 70

Step 2: Beat his *** as blm

Step 3: level RDM to 75 and gear and merit him out hardcore.

Step 4: Go back to maat and pwn his face in with your joyeuse for some revenge.

Seriously it works^^ 75 rdm can melee his *** quite easily.
First Page 2