Man Robs Gamestop And Slits Employees Throat

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Man robs Gamestop and slits employees throat
Man robs Gamestop and slits employees throat
By Blazed1979 2015-01-16 20:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
The Banana peel slip myth has been debunked though.

However, it's still a cheap running gag in many cartoons.

Also what we used 20 years ago, before fleshlights.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-01-16 20:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

goddamnit... here we go... /sigh

Both arguments, are pretty stupid, but pleebo was using the same logic used to bolster yours - because it can be, and often is, applied to both sides.

Pleebo was not using the same logic as 'me', because i wasnt trying to present a logical argument to a situation. I was merely pointing out that the original statement
Valefor.Endoq said: »
More proof that banning guns does not stop violent crimes.
was in fact true. With or without - violent crimes still happen. - Thats not logic. Thats fact.
And to add to that, this case rly shows that because it wasnt an 'accident', not a stray bullet, not a situation that escalated, nothing. He just flat out went over there and slit her throat. No cause, no justification. He just did because he could. Again, with or without, it still happens.

More guns isn't the answer, otherwise the police would be all we need.

A tool alone today is completely incapable of being a solution all on its own.
And if ppl only worried about the police only because they are armed, then they would fear many private residents the exact same as the police. - They dont. A cop has the system behind him. One that can land there a** in prison. Thats usually the fear.

Guns are a serious danger - not because of police of wild police going vigilante, but because of irresponsible gun owners, and "accidents" that could have been prevented by being responsible.

Usually not a fan of deflection defenses but it rly works here. First, by your own statement, the gun is not the danger. The dumb a** wielding it is. If i were wielding a battle axe in public and 'accidentally' hit someone in the chest and killed them.. aint noone going to be screaming to ban battle axes, battle axes are sooo horrible, there wont be no battle axe marches. They would be doing what they should be doing and looking at me asking 'wtf is wrong with you?!'

And while 'accidents' and intentional deaths are a legitimate concern, it goes all the way back to my very first post showing that violent crims happen with or without guns.
Odin.Godofgods said: »
A massive amount has going to creating the evil perception of guns along with the idea that no violent crimes would happen if the government took them all from us. - Stuff like this does prove that it doesnt change a thing ultimately. Its the person/people, not the tool.
Because while its a legitimate concern, its one sided. Its only because of ppls fear of guns.
According to the CDC (1 year):
Firearm homicides: Number of deaths: 11,068
Motor vehicle traffic deaths: Number of deaths: 33,783

A car is just a tool as well. Without external help (people) it pretty much has the same threat level. In fact you can see accidental car deaths is triple that of guns. But there are no ban car arguments being brought to the public. They both can lead to death. They both can lead to death of innocent ppl. Both require a persons involvement to achieve such outcomes. - They are both tools with the same issues. But these fear campaigns makes ppl more afraid of them.

Now just because there are bigger killers out there does not negate the problem of accidents and unintentionals from firearms, but it gets mind-numbingly annoying when ppl use that as the big argument and at the same time ignore everything else falling under that category.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-01-16 20:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
bananas are dangerous to irresponsible banana holders too.

A) can be used as a tool for suffocation

B) can accidentally be swallowed and cause injury

C) can slip on peel and break neck, back, or skull upon contact with a hard surface
The Banana peel slip myth has been debunked though.

However, it's still a cheap running gag in many cartoons.

they may not be as effective as a red shell, but you still have to watch out for them bananas!
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-01-16 20:42:35
Link | Quote | Reply

now back to seeing if i can find a damn place worth renting or buying...
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-01-16 20:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess there's no point in continuing if even you don't understand your own statements.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-01-16 20:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

a car might be more dangerous, but you can't ride your gun to work

the benefits are pretty minimal

it's just escalation, if guns weren't so widespread then owning one wouldn't be so appealing, but deescalating is never as easy as escalating was
 Bahamut.Protectorchrono
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Protectorchrono 2015-01-16 22:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

And just when I thought going back to gamestop in person instead of ordering from their online website was safe... /sigh /facepalm

Back on topic: This is horrible. The "D-Bag" already got the damn money/games/whatever, why the need to slit the employee's throat? If you already got your s*** you wanted to steal, then GTFO and hope you don't run into the cops on the way down the street (I don't condone stealing, murder, etc just saying) but don't attempt to murder the person that gave you what you wanted, it's just senseless violence.

Now that I think about it...most criminals would follow this set pattern...>>> I'm sure the reason he slit the employee's throat was to kill her and ensure his escape, probably so she wouldn't call the cops on him. That's how most criminals would probably operate. But even still it's just sad...it's sad and it's senseless.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-16 23:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
It's not proof of anything lol. Other than maybe that violent crime exists?

rly dont want to get into that argument in this thread, but it actually does prove it. A massive amount has going to creating the evil perception of guns along with the idea that no violent crimes would happen if the government took them all from us. - Stuff like this does prove that it doesnt change a thing ultimately. Its the person/people, not the tool.
Haha ok then. Let me borrow that logic.

Thousands of people go to Gamestop on a daily basis. Only 1 of them has slit an employee's throat. Proof that gun control must be working as it has prevented hundreds of throats from being slit.
Obviously we should get better knife controls, I mean, people die from being stabbed all the time, we need to ban all knives in the world so we can prevent stabbing.

Sporks too while we are at it.

Heck, lets just ban anything that has a point on it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-01-16 23:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-16 23:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, was the sarcasm not obvious to you?

I figured that the spork part would have been pretty obvious.

I guess you have to be cognizant of reality to understand it....

I'll write it in crayons next time for you, so you can understand it, ok?
 Shiva.Eboneezer
Server: Shiva
user: Eboneezer
By Shiva.Eboneezer 2015-01-16 23:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious as to what she could have done to prevent the attack. Hop across the counter and run? Not likely. Mace? Not likely. Taser? Maybe but she has to still get hands on with an assailant. Compliance didn't work. If you were in her shoes when the knife was presented, what would you be wishing you had in your hand? A phone to call the police? The police didn't prevent the attack from happening.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-16 23:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eboneezer said: »
Just curious as to what she could have done to prevent the attack. Hop across the counter and run? Not likely. Mace? Not likely. Taser? Maybe but she has to still get hands on with an assailant. Compliance didn't work. If you were in her shoes when the knife was presented, what would you be wishing you had in your hand? A phone to call the police? The police didn't prevent the attack from happening.
She probably couldn't do anything, most likely she was caught by surprise, which does just as much damage to her as the knife did.

My question is: Why does Gamestop allow her to work by herself? I don't know about you, but there's usually more than one employee in the store at any time I visit there.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-01-16 23:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Its retail and its January, deadest time of the year, everyone is cutting hours, 1 person can man the store during the week. I walked into Gamestop yesterday and there was only one employee.
 Shiva.Eboneezer
user: Eboneezer
By Shiva.Eboneezer 2015-01-16 23:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
She probably couldn't do anything, most likely she was caught by surprise, which does just as much damage to her as the knife did.

My question is: Why does Gamestop allow her to work by herself? I don't know about you, but there's usually more than one employee in the store at any time I visit there.

They usually say some kind of greeting the minute you walk in the store around here. They ask if you need something. I'm sure she was aware of him being in there, and more than likely would have had time to do something before he got to her across the counter. I know you're talking about the moment he's standing there and the moment he pulls the knife out...but there's a counter. I have to believe she had some kind of time to react if she would have had a way to defend herself.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-17 14:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, I've not once heard anyone postulate that to reduce the number of crimes committed by, with, in, or on cars, we should have more cars.

You'd probably get more return by addressing the social problems leading to the crime (addressing a core problem), then just being more prolific with guns (attempting to prevent expression of the problem).

But hey, that's just me.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-01-17 14:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy crap!

You know, I don't really like Gamestop but not for the reasons most dislike them. I was talking to a Gamestop employee who told me that for all that pestering for console insurance, replacement policies, reward cards, and magazine subscriptions they don't make a commission, not in money anyway. I was told that they usually have manager administrated competitions between employees for stuff from bragging rights to a slightly better employee discount.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-17 14:47:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Holy crap!

You know, I don't really like Gamestop but not for the reasons most dislike them. I was talking to a Gamestop employee who told me that for all that pestering for console insurance, replacement policies, reward cards, and magazine subscriptions they don't make a commission, not in money anyway. I was told that they usually have manager administrated competitions between employees for stuff from bragging rights to a slightly better employee discount.
That's a fairly common practice in retail nowadays. I believe most places that aren't high-end have moved away from a commission concept.

Something along the lines of employees being fungible.

*Edit*
I should at least say was; have no real idea how much that has potentially changed over years.
I would be surpised if it had moved more back towards commissions; nonbinding promises of payment are almost always cheaper than actual contractual obligations towards payment.