CA Min Wage Increase Signed Into Law

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » CA Min Wage Increase Signed Into Law
CA Min Wage Increase Signed Into Law
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-03 10:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
If you are super rich then you can go international. Create an international company, then move yourself out of the country without actually moving and earn your salary from your own company there, deposit them into an off shore account without having such salary in your original country. You will only transfer enough funds for expenses when you need it and you can avoid most of the high income taxes as you don't tell the IRS or such about income you earn outside of the country.
That is not correct. If you fail to report any foreign bank accounts, you can have those accounts seized/levied and have to pay a penalty up to 50% of what is in those bank accounts.

Also, if you fail to report income from all sources you are accessed a penalty on top of that.

But there is a foreign income exclusion that those who earn income outside of the US can take. Problem is, you have to be physically present in that country (and attest to being in that country for the amount of time, under penalty of perjury), and there are criminal penalties assessed if you fail to properly report that correctly (and knew about it).

So, yeah, part of your post is correct (to a point) but this stood out as being vastly incorrect.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-10-04 12:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

My friend did a @Kara last night over drinks pulling out his cell calculator to show the impact of $8 to 10. I kinda have to retract my opinion :/

Even with the 2 dollar increase over the next 3 years, as he pointed out one still fringes on housing assistance, Healthcare, and utility discount waiting list.
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-10-04 17:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Man this thread went from intellectual discussion, to intellectual debate, to intellectual pissing contest to life coaching lessons.

<3 FFXIAH.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-04 18:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
My friend did a @Kara last night over drinks pulling out his cell calculator to show the impact of $8 to 10. I kinda have to retract my opinion :/

Even with the 2 dollar increase over the next 3 years, as he pointed out one still fringes on housing assistance, Healthcare, and utility discount waiting list.
Well, those caps will increase, so there would still be no net effect.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-10-04 22:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
But there is a foreign income exclusion that those who earn income outside of the US can take. Problem is, you have to be physically present in that country (and attest to being in that country for the amount of time, under penalty of perjury), and there are criminal penalties assessed if you fail to properly report that correctly (and knew about it).

You can not be in the USA for more then 30 days per year and the exclusion only works on the first 92K of income. Your allowed to claim a deduction for housing costs based on the cost of living where your at and your claimed income level, usually in the 15~16K range. I gotta be really careful how many days I spend in the USA during a calendar year. Also when you claim it you get to specify the starting and stoping months so be very careful otherwise you can screw yourself pretty badly.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-05 08:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Quote:

You can not be in the USA for more then 30 days per year and the exclusion only works on the first 92K of income. Your allowed to claim a deduction for housing costs based on the cost of living where your at and your claimed income level, usually in the 15~16K range. I gotta be really careful how many days I spend in the USA during a calendar year. Also when you claim it you get to specify the starting and stoping months so be very careful otherwise you can screw yourself pretty badly.
Well, it's 95,100 in 2012, but that is splitting hairs.

Also, if your employer helps pay for more than 50% of your housing, you lose that deduction (the housing assistance deduction, I mean).

And if you take multiple trips to the US for business, you have to show each time you did. Miss a day? Lose the entire exemption. There is no Revenue Procedures or Rulings that would allow for a mistake to be "forgiven."

You can come to the USA for personal reasons and have it not count against you, but you can't stay for more than 2 weeks or that counts as moving back into the country.
By Jetackuu 2013-10-05 11:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I make $15 an hour, and still struggling on student debt, personal debt (used credit to supplement living for awhile due to losing job combined with school) and supporting 2 others...

Granted the rent in this area is also artificially inflated due to the local colleges, I will be doing fine here soon though as the baby momma finally got a job, and I'll soon have my cc's under control.

Only problem is my job is temporary, and IT jobs in this area are scarce.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-05 11:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

I make $15 an hour, and still struggling on student debt, personal debt (used credit to supplement living for awhile due to losing job combined with school) and supporting 2 others...

Granted the rent in this area is also artificially inflated due to the local colleges, I will be doing fine here soon though as the baby momma finally got a job, and I'll soon have my cc's under control.

So you're saying that the only reason people could be in a difficult situation is because they're lazy and want a handout...

Kudos for taking responsibility for the things you DO have control of. That's honestly the biggest distinction between the people that neo-con's complain about and the people who legitimately get a bad hand from time to time.
By Jetackuu 2013-10-05 11:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

So you're saying that the only reason people could be in a difficult situation is because they're lazy and want a handout...

Kudos for taking responsibility for the things you DO have control of. That's honestly the biggest distinction between the people that neo-con's complain about and the people who legitimately get a bad hand from time to time.

I didn't say any such thing.

I am lazy, and I'd love a handout, but I don't expect it.

Personally I think as a society/race that with the technology we do have, it's disgusting that there's people who still starve and that are homeless. There are things that people need to survive in today's society, and to function. People still believe in the bootstrap myth, and that's part of the problem in society.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of problems with social programs as well, but we should improve upon them, not destroy them because there's some abuse.

That's like saying we should shut down all the schools because there's a lot of problems with them...

edit: not saying the solution is to just throw more money at things either. But nothing will improve as long as the battle still exists to erect programs that help society, and to keep them alive, instead of how to improve them.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2013-10-05 11:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Examples:

minimum wage

health care reform
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-10-05 11:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Examples:

minimum wage

health care reform

Neither of those are well implemented. Even this supposedly radical health care reform is about 30 years behind international trends.

Social programs are really poorly adjusted to modern metrics. They need to be trimmed to a level that is sustainable and reasonable. Temporary assistance is a good way to smooth out volatile economic trends, but long term assistance is a crutch. Many of the systems have an architecture that keeps people in them. A lot of people fall into a category in the welfare system that encourages them not to work. If they make over a certain amount they are no longer eligible for assistance, but that amount is significantly less than what they get from the government or doesn't even cover the childcare costs they incur by not being at home. Even if it were the same, why would anyone work a full-time job to make the same income they could make sitting on their ***?

Raising the minimum wage could have an adverse effect on them, as the baselines for assistance have never kept pace with cost of living or average unskilled income.

Some social programs are worse than not having anything, my student loans were bought by the government twice from sally mae and sold back during the student loan reform, and even though I qualified for the assistance because I was not employed in my field, I opted not to take it. I actually ended up having to pay more than I would have if there wasn't a reform.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-10-06 03:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Quote:

Also, if your employer helps pay for more than 50% of your housing, you lose that deduction (the housing assistance deduction, I mean).

And if you take multiple trips to the US for business, you have to show each time you did. Miss a day? Lose the entire exemption. There is no Revenue Procedures or Rulings that would allow for a mistake to be "forgiven."

You can come to the USA for personal reasons and have it not count against you, but you can't stay for more than 2 weeks or that counts as moving back into the country.

For one it's 30 days maximum in CONUS not 14 days including business trips. If your on government business then it doesn't count. Also companies just give you a housing stipend and report it on your W-2 as compensation. Means you gotta pay taxes on it but it also allows you to claim the full deduction. Same thing if your company is paying for you to send your kids to an international school vs a local school, the amount has to be reported as compensation.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-10-06 10:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Quote:

For one it's 30 days maximum in CONUS not 14 days including business trips. If your on government business then it doesn't count. Also companies just give you a housing stipend and report it on your W-2 as compensation. Means you gotta pay taxes on it but it also allows you to claim the full deduction. Same thing if your company is paying for you to send your kids to an international school vs a local school, the amount has to be reported as compensation.
Well hell, I know there is a Rev Ruling that allows 14 days to not be included in the physical presence test, due to vacation (only for visiting family and such), but I can't seem to find it for the life of me.

Also, it is 35 days maximum, btw. Again, splitting hairs. That includes business trips and such (except the above exception, which I can't seem to find it -.-)

I know about this exception because I made a footnote on one of my client's returns for this.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2013-10-06 11:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Foreign income has something to do with tax treaties between 2 countries. It has something to do with jurisdiction over the money that can be taxes so to avoid getting a person double taxed. A person can't be taxed too much by both countries. Different type of income has different jurisdictions. Essentially, US can't tax your income if you falls under the other country's income tax.

It boils down to how strong a connection of your income is between the 2 countries. The one with a stronger ties to your money will be the one getting the tax income.

For example, if you are US citizen and you work in Canada and have a home/business in Canada but nothing in the US then you're most likely going to have to pay Canada your tax and US can't really poke its finger into that until you start moving your money into the US. Another example would be if you are a Canadian with US citizenship and is working in the US but have a home in Canada and your family still lives in Canada then you are going to pay Canadian income taxes.

There are times when these tax will overlap but you will most likely get a tax return or exempt from the country with the least ties to your income.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-10-06 18:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

We might be talking about the same thing here. The 14 day government business is mostly for DoD contractors though our rule of thumb has always been to keep total time in the USA to under 30 days, just to be safe.

@Andret

It's really just a huge incentive to take positions outside the USA. Please understand this isn't working for a foreign company, your still working for a US company and paying US taxes while following US labor laws. If your net is over the cap you still end up paying taxes on whatever amount's left, so it's really just a huge a$$ deduction. It's pretty much required because in some countries the housing & school expense is astronomical. Seoul South Korea has an annual state department housing rate of $55,900 USD. That city is expensive to live in, Japan's is really stupid. School ends up being something like $16,000 ~ $24,000 USD per year per kid. Those get added to your base salary and act as a form of taxable compensation on your W-2.

On the other hand you can still make a ton more money then in the USA by taking advantage of local products and not having kids.
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12