CA Min Wage Increase Signed Into Law

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » CA Min Wage Increase Signed Into Law
CA Min Wage Increase Signed Into Law
First Page 2 ... 10 11 12
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-09-26 00:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) on Wednesday signed a bill approving a $2 minimum wage increase to be rolled out over the next three years. Unless another state passes a larger increase, the bump will make California's minimum wage the highest in the country.

The governor joined legislators, business owners and workers at a signing ceremony in Los Angeles on Wednesday morning, with plans to fly to another ceremony in Oakland that afternoon.

“For millions of California’s hardworking minimum wage employees, a few extra dollars a week can make a huge difference to help them provide for their families,” said state Senate President pro tem Darrell Steinberg in a release. "They deserve a modest boost and after six years, an increase in California’s minimum wage is the right thing to do.”

The minimum wage will go up in two separate $1 increments. The first will bump the rate from $8 to $9 in July 2014, and the second increase, to $10, will come in January 2016. According to the Economic Policy Institute, about 3 million Californians are currently working for minimum wage.

Many low-wage workers across the state hailed the news.

Anthony Goytia, who works the overnight shift at a Walmart store in Duarte, currently lives in a garage with his wife and two children, while a third is on the way.

“If I had a higher wage, we would be able to rent an apartment,” he told The Huffington Post. “[Right now] we’re living in poverty. I have to live check to check.”

He detailed the struggles of living off a low wage, especially with a family. “I want to be able to buy my kids shoes if they need them and not wait for our income tax [return] to do it,” he said. “I want to give my wife money for maternity pants and underwear. She needs bras. It’s just ridiculous.”

Goytia said his family cannot afford Walmart’s health insurance plan and must depend on Medi-Cal, the state's Medicare program, instead. They also frequently receive food stamps.

“I really don’t want to depend on food stamps,” he told HuffPost. “I’m a hardworking person; I want to be a proud, working American that’s not on public assistance."

Maria Cristobal works seasonally in a packinghouse or in the lettuce and chile fields near where she lives with her two children in Fresno.

“Two more dollars would impact me a lot,” she told HuffPost. “I would definitely like to have more money for the house, for food, for rent, utilities.”

But she worries that a minimum wage hike might equal a price hike as well.

“When they raise wages, they raise prices of things," she said. "I think companies will cut back on hiring people, and it’s hard to find work sometimes.”

Brown, however, argued the reverse, saying wages in California have stagnated while consumer prices have continued to rise.

“The minimum wage has not kept pace with rising costs,” the governor said in a release. “This legislation is overdue and will help families that are struggling in this harsh economy.”

But by the time the $10 minimum takes effect, it will probably still be outpaced by inflation. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, $10 per hour in 2016 is equivalent to roughly $9.36 in today's dollars.

Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez (D-Los Angeles) also disputed the idea that the minimum wage increase would put a drag on the economy.

“A $10 hour minimum wage boosts earnings by $4,000 a year and will put $2.6 billion dollars back into the hands of workers,” he said. “This is money that will be spent at grocery stores, on school supplies and invested in education, and that ultimately strengthens the recovery and ensures California’s job market continues growing faster than the rest of the nation.”

I know many democrats will disagree with me, but this is supporting "unskilled labor" at best. I understand the concept of helping bring a large chunk of working-class Americans out of the poverty bracket but this doesn't really remedy the problem. It's just a temporary fix for a particular demographic, that ultimately will have severe ramifications on the state economy.

The democrats in CA might have civil rights down, but their views on how to fix the economy is bullsh#t. Earlier this year they decided to invest more money into CA prisons rather than K-12 education...
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-09-26 00:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

While I'm all for wages keeping up with cost of living, raising minimum wages tends to just decrease labor hours. People are expected to make up for the increase in hourly wage by covering duties that would be assigned to a part-time or additional worker. Minimum wages are somewhat outdated, the only thing that will unilaterally increase wages of low skill and unskilled labor is a shortage of workers. Right now so many are out of work, they're undercutting each other for employment and businesses are more than happy to pay someone less than they're worth.

Poverty is unthinkable in a country as rich as the US, but does anyone see the irony in the guy saying he works his butt off at minimum wage to support his wife (who's employment isn't mentioned) and 2 kids and another on the way... When you can only afford to buy your kids shoes once a year, WHY ARE YOU HAVING MORE?!
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-09-26 00:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Poverty is unthinkable in a country as rich as the US, but does anyone see the irony in the guy saying he works his butt off at minimum wage to support his wife (who's employment isn't mentioned) and 2 kids and another on the way... When you can only afford to buy your kids shoes once a year, WHY ARE YOU HAVING MORE?!

Because in states like CA it's so easy to claim unemployment, while working and still get food-stamps. Oh yeah you can also exchange your food-stamps for cash at most liquor stores(illegally of course). The well-fare and unemployment system in CA really babies lower-income people here.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-09-26 00:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

Because in states like CA it's so easy to claim unemployment, while working and still get food-stamps. Oh yeah you can also exchange your food-stamps for cash at most liquor stores(illegally of course). The well-fare and unemployment system in CA really babies lower-income people here.

There's a more important conversation here than people abusing the system.

There is a real problem and many possible solutions. I live in a state that is vastly different than CA with regards to public assistance and workers rights. Until the Federal min wage was increased a few years ago, we still had the old Federal min of 5.15/hour.

On a side note, did anyone ever see that internal memo Mcdonald's made to help their employees budget their pathetic income? I'll do some digging...

Quote:
McDonald's decided to teach its employees how to create one (budget). But in doing so, the company may have inadvertently done something else: Shown that it’s nearly impossible to make a living off the minimum wage.

Forbes article about a sample budget that Mcdonald's offered to it's employees to prove that their wages were sufficient and it was that their employees weren't able to manage a budget.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-09-26 00:57:51
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a more important conversation here than people abusing the system.
Correct, I fully understand that, I was simply answering your question "When you can only afford to buy your kids shoes once a year, WHY ARE YOU HAVING MORE?!"

Quote:
McDonald's decided to teach its employees how to create one (budget). But in doing so, the company may have inadvertently done something else: Shown that it’s nearly impossible to make a living off the minimum wage.

Forbes article about a sample budget that Mcdonald's offered to it's employees to prove that their wages were sufficient and it was that their employees weren't able to manage a budget.
EDIT: I don't think mininum wage alone is sufficient to support a average cost of living. However, Minimum wage is typically for entry-level positions that require little or no skill. Entry level position salary isn't meant to support the average cost of living. If it is meant to do so- then what does that say about individuals who have pursued formal education or training?

It's very disheartening to the 2- or 4-year graduate of today who is making 13/hr, working their *** off, when an individual who has invested almost nothing into formal training/education is making almost as much as you...

EDIT: Lucy wasn't meant to support Ricky and Little Ricky, by herself, on her minimum-wage entry-level chocolate factory salary, let alone in Upper East Side Manhattan.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-09-26 01:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that/s a great point that gets lost in the "think of the children" rhetoric. There is a massive amount of people who are underemployed and a large number of semi-skilled or vocational jobs that go unfilled because so many people are unwilling to get the minimal education required for them. Mike Rowe is heading a campaign based on that "skills gap". And the DoL has some really interesting information on underemployment.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-09-26 01:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

"When you can only afford to buy your kids shoes once a year, WHY ARE YOU HAVING MORE?!"
This is an entire different conversation or at least it should be. Why aren't we educating people on birth control? Why do we keep trying to defund clinics that offer free or reduced birth control? Why do we have free day care centers at high schools?

Quote:
I don't think mininum wage alone is sufficient to support a average cost of living. However, minimum wage is typically for entry-level positions that require little or no skill. Entry level position salary isn't meant to support the average cost of living. If it is meant to do so- then what does that say about individuals who have pursued formal education or training?

It's very disheartening to the 2- or 4-year graduate of today who is making 13/hr, working their *** off, when an individual who has invested almost nothing into formal training/education is making almost as much as you...

If you don't think minimum wage alone is supposed to support the average cost of living then what is?

Most retail, food service, janitorial, etc jobs are minimum wage or less (servers/bartenders usually make less than 30% of minimum wage and the rest is made up in tips....hopefully). That is a lot of people. Millions of people have to survive on minimum wage in the US. Almost everyone working in a mall is making minimum wage. If they aren't supposed to be able to support themselves on this, exactly how are they supposed to do this?

It is disheartening to get paid $13 an hour on average after getting a higher education degree.....but a) not every degree is created equal (or univeristy for that matter) and b) not everyone works their *** off. Then to have student loans on top of that, it sucks.

I'm not that big a fan of minimum wage but I'm also not a fan of companies creating their own payment policies for lower level employees. Both sides historically don't work out well. The goal of a company is to pay as little as possible for a resource. The goal of politicians is to get re-elected.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-09-26 02:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
"When you can only afford to buy your kids shoes once a year, WHY ARE YOU HAVING MORE?!"
This is an entire different conversation or at least it should be. Why aren't we educating people on birth control? Why do we keep trying to defund clinics that offer free or reduced birth control? Why do we have free day care centers at high schools?

This was actually my statement. I said it to make the point that this one line almost invalidates an otherwise admirable article.

But, those are also very good points. I have been repeatedly shocked by the level of misinformation people have about reproduction and contraception in this day and age.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-09-26 02:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't think minimum wage alone is supposed to support the average cost of living then what is?
I should have worded that better, my bad.

Most retail, food service, janitorial, etc jobs are minimum wage or less (servers/bartenders usually make less than 30% of minimum wage and the rest is made up in tips....hopefully). That is a lot of people. Millions of people have to survive on minimum wage in the US. Almost everyone working in a mall is making minimum wage. If they aren't supposed to be able to support themselves on this, exactly how are they supposed to do this?
Like I said before minimum wage isn't supposed to equate living wage, at least in certain areas.

Going back to my I Love Lucy analogy: Lucy got a minimum-wage/entry-level/no-skills job at the chocolate factory as a hobby, and that's what minimum wage positions should be- for hobby. They are designed for high-school students, retired people etc... They aren't meant to support a household in e.g. Upper East Side Manhattan. To say Lucy should be able to support her household in Upper East Side Manhattan on her chocolate factory is communism...
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-09-26 02:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said before minimum wage isn't supposed to equate living wage, at least in certain areas.

Going back to my I Love Lucy analogy: Lucy got a minimum-wage/entry-level/no-skills job at the chocolate factory as a hobby, and that's what minimum wage positions should be- for hobby. They are designed for high-school students. maybe retired people etc... They aren't meant to support a household in e.g. Upper East Side Manhattan. To say Lucy should be able to support her household in Upper East Side Manhattan on her chocolate factory is communism...

Yeah, this is the problem with having a minimum wage. Companies don't use it just for part-timers or just for really low skilled jobs.....they use it for any low level position, even those that require previous experience, or carry some responsiblity (handling cash registers, customer service, etc).

I'm not sure how companies have been handling the scaling of wages as minimum wage has increased. When I worked at cafes we made $1.50 more than minimum wage, but is that still happening as the minimum increases?
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2013-09-26 02:27:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This was actually my statement. I said it to make the point that this one line almost invalidates an otherwise admirable article.

But, those are also very good points. I have been repeatedly shocked by the level of misinformation people have about reproduction and contraception in this day and age.

Pulling out is an effective means of birth control.

Edit - I forget how to sarcasmtag
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-09-26 02:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Going back to my I Love Lucy analogy: Lucy got a minimum-wage/entry-level/no-skills job at the chocolate factory as a hobby, and that's what minimum wage positions should be- for hobby. They are designed for high-school students. maybe retired people etc... They aren't meant to support a household in e.g. Upper East Side Manhattan. To say Lucy should be able to support her household in Upper East Side Manhattan on her chocolate factory is communism...

Yeah, this is the problem with having a minimum wage. Companies don't use it just for part-timers or just for really low skilled jobs.....they use it for any low level position, even those that require previous experience, or carry some responsiblity (handling cash registers, customer service, etc).

I'm not sure how companies have been handling the scaling of wages as minimum wage has increased. When I worked at cafes we made $1.50 more than minimum wage, but is that still happening as the minimum increases?

Yes and no. While fast food style jobs tend to have starting wages somewhere in the dollar above the minimum wage, they also tend to have relatively low wage caps. So while an entry level person my be making 7.75/h, a shift manager or assistant manager will probably only make 8.50/h. It's the ceiling that doesn't keep up with inflation in those "dead end" jobs.

Edit: a quick search showed that said jobs are also the most likely to have hard wage caps and the least likely to have any provisions for cost of living increases or annual raises. I.E. no matter how long you work for a company or how much cost of living increases, you will likely never make more than the set value of that position.
 Siren.Siccmade
Server: Siren
By Siren.Siccmade 2013-09-26 03:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Baconwrap, I think you're overestimating the job market in the USA as a whole, what you're saying sounds good and all but it's just not the case.

So many careers reach a bottleneck and foregoing your family and whatever responsibilities you may have in an effort to pursue something better isn't always an option.

The I Love Lucy analogy is just plain silly and kind of shows that you most likely haven't had to struggle and I possibly don't really understand what you're talking about. If you think single mothers and the like are pulling time at Taco Bell as a hobby, I can't... I shouldn't even be responding to this.

Hopefully nobody is saying you should be able to live well (Upper East Side Manhattan? wtf...) off a low skill minimum wage job, what you should be able to do is at least come close to making ends meet.

I'm not very much disagreeing with you in the general sense that everyone should work on bettering themselves before complaining about not being handed what they want but I think you're off base on the points you're trying to make. While I was in school I worked two 6-8 hour shifts, five days a week peeking at sixteen hours in a day in two far apart parts of the city to support myself, I promise you that was not because it was a hobby of mine.

It will be a shame if salaries and hourly don't go up across the board to accommodate these changes but it's a ways off from completion not to mention what Obama Care has and will do to the job market.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-09-26 03:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Going back to my I Love Lucy analogy: Lucy got a minimum-wage/entry-level/no-skills job at the chocolate factory as a hobby, and that's what minimum wage positions should be- for hobby. They are designed for high-school students, retired people etc... They aren't meant to support a household in e.g. Upper East Side Manhattan. To say Lucy should be able to support her household in Upper East Side Manhattan on her chocolate factory is communism...

Batter down the hatches, a fallacystorm is a brewin'

First, no one equates a livable wage with living on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. At best it means having enough money to sustain oneself without resorting to welfare payments in a subpar part of town surrounded by structural poverty. At best you'll be able to throw some pocket change back into the economy propping up some mom 'n pops around your neighborhood and put subpar food on the table without worrying if the lights are going to get cut off come months end.

Pretty far from the Russian Tea Room I'd say.

Second, average min wage earners are split pretty evenly between 16-24 year olds and those persons over the age of 25. Most of the glut are persons 25-34 years old aka people in their prime. I assure you, they aren't taking these jobs as hobbies, nor would they consider being in an economic deathspiral anything less than quicksand. Once you get in, it's a *** to get out.

These are hardly retirees looking to bag your groceries between SS checks. Persons 65+ make up a paltry 2.8% of people being paid at the min wage.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-09-26 04:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

One reason I made the Lucy Upper East Side analogy was because the minimum wage increase is taking place in CA, one of the highest costs of living in the country. Do I believe other states deserve a minimum wage increase? Yes. Do I believe certain counties/cities minimum wage mandates? Yes, but not statewide.

The Upper East Side portion of my analogy aside, I stand by my opinion that a minimum wage position should never be expected to sustain a household period. There are always options: vocational training, a better resume, advance in one's particular industry etc.

Also never did I say Taco Bell single mothers are doing it for hobby. What I'm saying is those particular positions are entry level/no skills job. So people shouldn't expect such positions to support a household, effectively.
[+]
By Tymoris 2013-09-26 04:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Imo that's kind of circle logic though.

Personally speaking I see it a bit differently.I don't believe there are always options. Most young people don't have a family to support them and all these options you mentioned cost money and in the US at least a lot of it.

Hence to my eyes the issue is more that the working class is basically being excluded from being able to advance.

I don't believe also the whole "They are designed for" thing. Because according to that and from my experience in the US the designing seems to just be "hire low cost immigrants that would accept below min wage".
Corporations have a tendecy to promote the whole "design" only when they are being pointed out of their own lies.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-09-26 07:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

CA is a perfect example of why increasing minimum wage will not work, and will lower the standards of living every time it is increased.

Lets come back in a few years and see how CA is doing...oh wait, nvm, we could just come back next week and it will already be worse off.

...because CA.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-09-26 08:11:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Raising the min wage is an awful idea on the most fundamental of levels. Some people and positions simply aren't worth that much money. Forcing employers to meet a certain pay threshold for the lowest required work only prevents them from filling positions until they have enough work to rationalize the additional cost.

Besides, when did we as a society decide people who aim for the lowest level of achievement should be given more incentive to stay there? Entry level positions are suppose to suck. Sucking is suppose to motivate you to work smarter and harder, so that you're life will benefit from it.

Back in the late 90s I was a teenager and got one of three 5/hr summer jobs to work a cashier at a snack bar on a beach during the summer. Looking back, the work I actually did back then was probably not worth that amount because it was my first job, and I didn't know anything about anything. But I learned the ropes and found ways to apply myself and become more valuable to the small business. 3 summer sessions later I was paid their highest pay level and was "in-charge" when the boss wasn't there. I got there because the mim wage was crap and being valuable was the way I could earn more money.

If life had been more comfortable on min wage I probably wouldn't have tried so hard, but it wouldn't have mattered because they likely wouldn't have be able to hire all 3 people that first year to begin with.
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
Server: Siren
user: Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-09-26 09:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

We have free daycare centers in highschools? Though some Highschools are more like daycare centers for teens lol...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2013-09-26 09:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Increasing minimum wage is just chasing one's tail. As the costs of running things increases so do prices. Raising minimum wage devalues jobs above it. I'm in a single income household atm with 2 kids. My wife is doing online schooling to get out of the minimum wage/entry level positions. I make a decent salary and have good benefits, but I often bust my rear end 60 hours a week and sometimes am only home 1 out of 4 weeks. After taxes and the amount of work I do, I think I bring home not even 10 bucks an hour. When I hear things like DC trying to pass things like 15 bucks an hour it makes me mad. I could take a slight pay cut, slight decrease in living quality, and have a job where I'm home every night and my work doesn't follow me home.

Minimum wage will always be minimum wage, it will never allow you to pay all the bills. I'm happy single moms are out there working crappy jobs instead of taking hand outs, that takes courage and integrity. But you have to keep plugging away at trying to find something else. Life is HARD. You can't expect help from anyone, you have to rely on yourself. No one wants to hear this when they are struggling financially and despise it. But it is the truth.

Listen to Clark Howard or Dave Ramsey on the radio. They have financial shows which give all types of advice. One if not both have stories of being backrupt/down and out. They busted their rear ends and got out of their pit. They didn't wait for uncle sam to come along and help them out. TBH if I followed more of their advice I'd be better off financially, but that is another topic all together lol.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-09-26 10:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Flavin said: »
We have free daycare centers in highschools? Though some Highschools are more like daycare centers for teens lol...

Yes. Each state/district has different rules surrounding it but there have been daycares at high schools since the 1980's.

High School Day Cares: Helping Teen Moms Graduate
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-09-26 10:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

My point, and perhaps slanted because I lived all my life in CA, min wage was fine all these years. You can live in a variety of places easily because CA provides so much housing assistance and county/municipal aid.

The only thing a 10/hr wage in ca will do is allow poverty bracket individuals to move into better areas. Which was kinda my point.

Statewide numerous apartments reserve low income units, this is different than section 8. My rent is 1700 my neighbors is 650 because he's "poor." Counties issue out free health care far before the advent of Obama.

So when I used the Upper East Side analogy it a partially correct. They can already live in DTLA, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Miracle Mile. .. premiere areas of LA County. If housing assistance or section 8 are not available then South LA, Compton, Lynnwood, South gate, east La...

Job placement? CA provides free 2 year degrees at any junior College or full reimbursement for certain fields e.g. nursing. ROP and JobCorps are free. You can get Cisco certified free. It's not the best job placement education, but honestly Brown should have invested the energy on JC's, ROP and there's another job assistance placement program I can't think off right now.

Health Care prior to Obamacare? ORSA program solely requires proof of state residency. Medical, and numerous cities provide free health care. Saban Clinic, AltaMed and Bienstar provides basic primary care even specialist urology and dermatology at each of their facilities all FREE.

EDIT: check out this link CA household median income

SF and LA which boast the highest poverty rates in the state have some of the highest median. Because our "poor" aren't really poor compared to the rest of the nation. Those 40k and less counties are very low cost of living in talking 400 to 600/mo for a 1 bedroom.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2013-09-26 10:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems most things that could be said here have already been said.

I do wonder what this would hold for the future. Like Bacon mentioned, it is unsettling that newly grads have been having a rough go in the past half-decade or so. Will this encourage more to by-pass further education leading a further dissolved middle-class and an even greater wage-gap a decade from now?

My neighbors, who attended the University of Ohio, both came to Texas when the bottom fell out. The husband, who holds a BS in Business, is basically their saving grace. The wife holds a degree in Social Work (iffy degree already, I'm aware) but has said many times that, would she have known, she would have foregone the bachelors because she makes more as a server/bartender than using her degree.

I know that CA most likely compensates their teachers better and in spades, taking into consideration the difference in cost of living too, but it's really sad that teachers here can start out making only $28K. Cringworthy, yes. I know a couple who used to supplement their income during the summers with retail and/or serving/hostessing/bartending. (Also, 2009 kind of shook a lot of newly-grad teachers here, but that was a state exclusive problem that made some people reevaluate their choice in teaching.)

It's strange that people who seek degrees that they know aren't the most lucrative, but that they would personally find fulfilling, could be put in the same earning potential as a "student job". It's strange that traditional student jobs are now considered a legitimate career.

I don't know anymore.

What?!? They don't shove them in a separate school with all the ones that are going the GED route anymore?
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-09-26 10:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes. Each state/district has different rules surrounding it but there have been daycares at high schools since the 1980's.

High School Day Cares: Helping Teen Moms Graduate

Daycare or specialized higschools for teen mom's has been standard statewide for a long time. Maybe 2 decades at least. LA, SD, SF, IE, OC, which compose the majority of the state have special highschools for teen mom's.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-09-26 12:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

My point, and perhaps slanted because I lived all my life in CA, min wage was fine all these years. You can live in a variety of places easily because CA provides so much housing assistance and county/municipal aid....

This is government subsidizing low wage paying businesses.

So are well over 1/2 the food stamps given out.

The money to do this comes from YOUR taxes.

By raising the minimum wage CA increases its tax revenue and reduces its, and the federal government's, expenditures to keep the working poor afloat.

Looks like a win / win / win to me.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-09-26 12:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

in theory, but i doubt tax revenues will increase because of it. it won't create any wealth that didn't exist already. the working poor will probably not make any more as a whole because labor hours will decrease
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-09-26 12:23:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

By raising the minimum wage CA increases its tax revenue and reduces its, and the federal government's, expenditures to keep the working poor afloat.

Only if prices stay stagnate.

Which they won't. I doubt you need me to explain why it won't. You probably ignored it from other people too.

Nominal effects =/= real effects.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2013-09-26 12:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

My point, and perhaps slanted because I lived all my life in CA, min wage was fine all these years. You can live in a variety of places easily because CA provides so much housing assistance and county/municipal aid....

Public Health agencies receive funding from state taxes and federal agencies/funds like HHS, CDC, NIH. I'm not sure the exact percentages.

Housing Assistance recurrences funding from I'm not sure where, I'm now knowledgeable in that area of state assistance.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-09-26 12:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll take that bait. You have no idea what you're talking about.

If minimum wage is so great, how come it's not 50/hr?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2013-09-26 13:03:18
Link | Quote | Reply

SF and LA which boast the highest poverty rates in the state have some of the highest median. Because our "poor" aren't really poor compared to the rest of the nation. Those 40k and less counties are very low cost of living in talking 400 to 600/mo for a 1 bedroom.

I'm actually really curious about this now. Granted, this is just word-of-mouth that I picked up, but some acquaintances who moved back to Texas from the San Jose area complained that taxes state and local income tax, and property tax (which seems somewhat reasonable but compounded with with the assessed value...ehhh...) was enough for them to do a hasty "about face, forward march" as soon as they possible could. They said that it was somewhere between 40 and 50% of their combined earnings. Any truth to that?

This was an interesting read about the underbelly of the grand utopia of Silicon Valley.
First Page 2 ... 10 11 12