Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » DRG guide where
DRG guide where
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2013-04-22 14:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that I have DRG levelled, but it should totally be "Pole Dancing With The Pointy End" :D

/endofftopichijack.
 Sylph.Feary
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2013-04-22 14:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

what should i do with my stp polearm?

a. drop it
b. stop being lazy and find stp builds for it
c. you have rhongomiant feary. stfu and drop both and get a oat.

Also i would be willing to do research (with help on corrections), formatting and write a guide. however i havent looked at drg seriously since a colibri pts. i dont want criticism that comes with making a guide. ppl tend to help at a cost of attacking a person character. when trolling. For example, Malazia did the thf guide and she was flamed because it was bad/incomplete when it was orignally posted..
 Cerberus.Sephrin
Server: Cerberus
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2013-04-22 14:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Feary said: »
For example, Malazia did the thf guide and she was flamed because it was bad/incomplete when it was orignally posted..
Maybe so but look at it now. It's a pretty good guide. It's the internet. You're gonna get flamed no matter what.
 Sylph.Feary
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2013-04-22 14:31:49
Link | Quote | Reply

on another note.

as for the the title. i vote for

this macdaddy will make you jump. A guide to Drg,

i.e this guide will make you wanna play drg.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-22 14:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I do find it sad that without mythic and stardiver drg is basically dead in the water. I guess I'll just hang it up then, because it's not as important to me as my other jobs despite keeping it decently geared (polearm aside).
By Ophannus 2013-04-22 14:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to make a mythic but also the thing preventing me from doing it is also getting Huginn Gambieras which go for about 75% the cost of another mythic on my server. I don't fish bot, so stuff like that is really out of reach for me. There's a LS on my server with like 3 Ryuno DRGs and they all have Huginn too... /jealous
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-22 14:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
I want to make a mythic but also the thing preventing me from doing it is also getting Huginn Gambieras which go for about 75% the cost of another mythic on my server. I don't fish bot, so stuff like that is really out of reach for me. There's a LS on my server with like 3 Ryuno DRGs and they all have Huginn too... /jealous

Yeah I've seen all 3 of them too. One or two of them have regain moonshades too though >_<.
By Ophannus 2013-04-22 14:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm talking mostly about the NA ones. At least they can gear and play well.

The JP Ryuno wielders are god-awful.

He never swapped gear, and he was TPing and WSing in all of this. That's a Rancorous Mantle, Dark Ring, Speed Belt and Nefarious collar. His TP set didn't make much sense but w/e.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-04-22 15:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-22 15:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm talking mostly about the NA ones. The JP Ryuno wielders are god-awful.

He never swapped gear, and he was TPing and WSing in all of this. That's a Rancorous Mantle, Dark Ring, Speed Belt and Nefarious collar. His TP set didn't make much sense but w/e.

I was talking about the NAs too, but yeah some mythic holders on Odin are geared god-awfully >_<.
By Ophannus 2013-04-22 15:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh I can't talk smack about them, I'm cool with them, they're good dude. Rich as hell, most have 4 relics, 1-2 Lv99 emps and a mythic and huginn feet. All that together is like ~ 1-2 billion gil.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-22 15:07:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I'm not smack talking ALL of them by any means. I'm just sayin' I've seen a few regain moonshades on mythic holders lol. The Ryu holders on our server are pretty chill for the most part.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
Server: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2013-04-22 15:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Wyvern accessories would be (I think) a great way to bring more depth to the job.
Ie. A harness that vastly enhances offensive breaths, but limits the effectiveness of healing breaths or slows it's attack speed, or another item that adds an enfeebling effect to offensive breaths. Maybe another that adds a 5% JA haste effect to restoring breaths for 60-120 seconds (Deep breathing increases effect duration? lol), or my personal favourite: a muzzle that prevents all breaths, but provides an attack boost to the dragoon for 20 sec or so after the wyvern would have used a breath.

Just some way to gain more control over what the wyvern is doing.
I also HATE not having a "Stay" command.
By Ophannus 2013-04-22 15:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

*shrug* maybe it makes them feel like they can maintain AM3 more easily I dunno :/
By Ophannus 2013-04-22 15:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't mind a "Soothing Breath" would be nice, its like Smiting/Healing Breath but removes an Ailment(would be awesome to Remove Paralyze or Remove Curse on myself as DRG/SAM evey 60 seconds). Either it could activate one of the already existing "Remove -Ailment" breaths or it could be its own breath that removes a single ailment(like Healing Waltz) so it could cover all things that -na's remove as well as things erase removes. Could use it for Poison/Blind/Dia/Attack Down/Slow etc..
 Sylph.Wardeniii
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2013-04-22 15:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Add the ability to turn off offensive breath use when you weapon skill; that would be nice.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-22 15:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What's everybody's beef with a wyvern using offensive breathes?
 Sylph.Wardeniii
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2013-04-22 15:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have mythic AM3 up, your wyvern will do more damage with melee hits than it would have with the time it takes to execute the breath. The wyvern using a breath also reduces its TP to zero.

When you use spirit link, half of your wyvern's TP is transferred to you -- so if your wyvern is never using offensive breaths, then it will likely be holding a nice chunk of TP every time you spirit link, essentially giving you a free weapon skill for an action you would've likely conducted anyway (spirit link).

Being able to turn off offensive breaths would essentially be like adding an ability that gives you 100-150 instant TP every 90 seconds. So you can spirit link 90 seconds after you use a 300 TP drakes for a free weapon skill, and then 90 seconds after that, your AM3 will be wearing off, and you can grab an easy chunk of TP to refresh AM3.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-04-22 15:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The incredibly long charge up delay, the waste of potentially used TP, and the often heavily resisted damage.

It's kind of obvious >_>
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2013-04-22 15:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

They use up all your wyvern's TP right after you WS, so it's extremely difficult to syphon their TP and breaths are lucky to break 30 damage on anything that matters. They would do more damage if they just attacked instead. (Look at the screenshot above of the wyvern doing a 19... Edit: 18 damage breath at the cost of all its TP).

It's not impossible to WS > link before they actually complete their breath, but once you start WSing rapidly, they never have time to build tp back up to make spirit link worth using for TP. It's something that could have been a nice boost to the job, that is crippled by the wyverns AI.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-22 15:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
The incredibly long charge up delay, the waste of potentially used TP, and the often heavily resisted damage.

It's kind of obvious >_>

Since Drg isn't top DPS anyways (or really even close), I never saw this as THAT big a deal. But way to be kind of obnoxious about it, mate -_-.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2013-04-22 15:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Not being a top tier DD makes it a much bigger deal, surely.
By VioDjango 2013-04-22 15:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm talking mostly about the NA ones. At least they can gear and play well.

The JP Ryuno wielders are god-awful.

I don't gear swap myself... but wow.

At least having a generalized set that makes sense is something I strive for.
 Asura.Thannatos
Server: Asura
user: Thannatos
By Asura.Thannatos 2013-04-22 15:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2013-04-22 15:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

A fitting LS name!
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-22 15:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Thorbean said: »
Not being a top tier DD makes it a much bigger deal, surely.

Like, I get what you're saying. I understand, it's just drg is more of a utility DD/support DD with wyvern breaths, and angon, so I don't always stress my personal DPS (meaning I don't spam spirit link during combat) on drg. I do have angon 5/5 with the AF2+2 hands though.
By Ophannus 2013-04-22 15:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like SE would rather DRG be a support DD than a top DD(let SAM DRK WAR handle that). It would make sense if you over analyze why Stardiver has a Crit Evasion Down bonus and Angon. Angon could have been a self +20% attack but I suppose -20% def on the target is essentially a better ability. Of course people just look at the top DDs parsing and they laugh at DRG when in reality that -20% defense is basically a +33% attack boost for the alliance and the crit eva down from Stardiver is the same as +5% crit for the alliance as well.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-22 15:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like SE would rather DRG be a support DD than a top DD(let SAM DRK WAR handle that). It would make sense if you over analyze why Stardiver has a Crit Evasion Down bonus and Angon. Angon could have been a self +20% attack but I suppose -20% def on the target is essentially a better ability. Of course people just look at the top DDs parsing and they laugh at DRG when in reality that -20% defense is basically a +33% attack boost for the alliance and the crit eva down from Stardiver is the same as +5% crit for the alliance as well.

Yeah, that's the mindset I've adopted for drg.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2013-04-22 15:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Offensive breaths are just a waste of the wyverns TP though, as are status removing breaths, considering TP does nothing for them in the slightest, but I digress.

If we could prevent automatic breaths (so you only use them when you actually need them, via JA), the ability would become alot more useful to /notmage.

You go as /notmage when you want to deal more damage, but by doing so, you (mostly) destroy any offensive utility the ability held in the first place.

Edit: If SAM lost the ability to use Sekkanoki if they chose /WAR as a sub, they'd be pretty pissed. If a war lost 15% of the attack boost from berserk for choosing /SAM, there would be outrage.
DRG is the only job who has a useful offensive ability gimped by choosing a more offensive sub.
By Ophannus 2013-04-22 15:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Puts us in an awkward position since Polearms are the 2nd highest base damage weapons. I guess that's balance.