Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Mandau /wristing
Mandau /wristing
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2013-03-27 11:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I admit a mild discomfort with this. Not because this weapon replaces Mandau or out damages it.. but because its the tip of the iceberg, the out-of-the-box weapons. I imagine they'll get better from here.

They did mention they didnt want to upgrade relics through Magians or any other means, but they might just flat out buff them. Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it... Unless the relic really sucked from the beginning (Gungnir), chances of them outdating it are pretty low.

What they're doing here is closing the gap in power between R/M/E and normal weapons, I'm assuming so that shouts dont go "R/M/E DD Only", or at least do that less than they are now.

With how much easier Relics are to get these days, I can see why they feel the gap can be lessened now...
 Quetzalcoatl.Hepatitis
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Hepatitis 2013-03-27 11:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Appears to be some very bored people in this thread.
By mattyc 2013-03-27 11:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

why are people QQ'n over the dagger? really not holding into account the fact it still isnt going to be better anyways, mandau's xdmg multiplier is still there...on top of poison AND MOST OF ALL mercy stroke is alot better than your choices of ws's on your list on top of it. blah blah blah. people cry too much over stupid ***.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
Server: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2013-03-27 11:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

mattyc said: »
why are people QQ'n over the dagger? really not holding into account the fact it still isnt going to be better anyways, mandau's xdmg multiplier is still there...on top of poison AND MOST OF ALL mercy stroke is alot better than your choices of ws's on your list on top of it. blah blah blah. people cry too much over stupid ***.

Carbuncle.Anesthesia said: »
It may not be, but if this is the "out of the gate" new gear, it doesn't bode well for the weapon down the road.

Asura.Karbuncle said: »
I admit a mild discomfort with this. Not because this weapon replaces Mandau or out damages it.. but because its the tip of the iceberg, the out-of-the-box weapons. I imagine they'll get better from here.

Some of you are having a really tough time grasping this, huh
 Carbuncle.Sambb
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2013-03-27 11:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Mordra said: »
Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
People like you need to get over themselves and get a life. I worked my *** off for 10 years to get where I am on this game. And that's just it... it's a game.
Congrats on your relic dagger as 10 year achievement plan. btw im a dad. worked full time until recently. but yet you think i have no life outside the game because i get more done in shorter time ? i always love it when ppl use "get a life" as a excuse for beeing... well bad in getting stuff done. lacking skill <> having a better/more life
I don't think that at all. GJ on what you have in the time you've had it. The "get a life" part was not in reference to the game, or achievements in it, at all, or reflecting that "you have no life because you play FFXI". It's for "get a life instead of going around blasting people on a public forum". I'm a dad, too, of 4. I work 50+hrs/wk. I've had to adopt a more lax playing style because of life changes. It's not that I am lacking in skill or have a better/more life. I wanted Mandau YEARS ago, but didn't have time to spend farming/crafting/whatever else I could do to have it done in a matter of months. It sat in "stage 3 done" form for about 7 years while I worked through other crap. I get blasted on here by people who really don't care at all whether or not I was being sarcastic, but rather just like ripping people apart. I find it even more silly that some of it is from people who didn't even play FFXI prior to Abyssea and the burn-it style of leveling that is what we know it to be now. Not saying the people on this particular thread are bad players or don't know anything. But there are plenty of those out there in the FFXI world who have burned their job 30 to 99 with no skills remotely capped, and going around thinking they're "elite veterans" at the jobs.

If its one thing ive learned on the damn interwebz... is try not to set yourself up for a blasting...

You sir left yourself well and truely open to blasting of the highest nature...

you keep refering to being sarcastic.. I saw your original post before you ninja edited it... and you sir in my mind was not being sarcastic.

Stop trying to justify your reasons for not having a mandau for 7yrs infact stop trying to justify anything..

Also why are you quoting people who abyssea burned their jobs suddenly not having the right to blast you for posting something stupid?

Am I pro because I did colibiri merit parties in bhaf all those years ago? *** no. Those pts sucked the xp was lame and it took ages to even get 1 lousy lvl. Where the parties funny though? absolutely some people were hilarious and made the time pass well. Was getting really high chains on pink birdies funny to screenshot? yep.

Did any of that ***prepare me for being totally *** slapped by pandy warden the first time i fought it? ..... nope... no it didn't...

Just suck it up and take it like a man, ive been abused for (supposedly) posting something stupid on this forum and believe you me ive tried my best not to let that situation happen again.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2013-03-27 11:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be a pretty terrible expansion if it didn't shake up the power structure a bit. Even if relics etc continue to be the top weapons, they should require subsequent upgrades to maintain superiority.
[+]
By mattyc 2013-03-27 11:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

i understand what your saying Ane, but they said that in future there going to allow us to upgrade relics/EMP/mythics. for people who dont know about this, no reason to shed gypsy tears switching to another weapon just yet. and it really cant get all that much crazier were already 99, and not seeing level 100.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2013-03-27 11:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Mercy stroke is actually just a real power Stacked WS, So unstacked nonR owners have Exenterator which is smashing. Also I just wanted to mention Mandaus Additional effect is a pile of D*cks, its 10hp/tic, Laughable, and in worst cases prevents mobs from being slept, actually becoming a detriment.

Though carry on anywho, I think the real thing anyone should be focusing on are those new Augmented weapons.

DMG:52 Delay:183
DMG:+3 STR+3 DEX+4

Implies these could have potential as an offhand if those stats are just some of what it could be augmented with :Q
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2013-03-27 11:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

it's got what plants crave
[+]
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2013-03-27 11:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said: »
It would be a pretty terrible expansion if it didn't shake up the power structure a bit. Even if relics etc continue to be the top weapons, they should require subsequent upgrades to maintain superiority.

Siren.Kalilla said: »
03-26-2013 12:42 PM
[source]
Akihiko Matsui
Dev Team

Hello,

Matsui here.

We've been receiving some questions in regards to what we will be doing with relic, mythic, and empyrean weapons moving forward, so I would like to address what I can at the moment.

We are not planning to enhance relic, mythic, or empyrean weapons via Trial of the Magians or through other methods.

However, in regards to these weapons that you have enhanced up to level 99, we are formulating plans so that they do not go to waste. (Including the weapons that do not yet have their afterglows.)

In regards to the shields and instruments, even in light of the growth that will take place for characters with Adoulin equipment, these in particular are still at the highest caliber and will not be addressed in the plans mentioned above.

While I'm unable to talk about the specifics at this point in time, as soon as the time comes where I can, I will be sure to let you all know.
Subscribe

I'd be only too glad to continue to upgrade my 99 Emp. Unfortunately, they appear to be explicitly saying that they don't have plans for that to happen.

I'm aware that he says that R/M/E "won't go to waste," but I read "won't go to waste" as "well you can sort of salvage them with evoliths or something as one of our afterthoughts"

"Will still have the potential to reign supreme" or "Will continue to be among the top options" would have been closer to the words I was hoping for.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2013-03-27 11:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

i understand what your saying Ane, but they said that in future there going to allow us to upgrade relics/EMP/mythics. for people who dont know about this, no reason to shed gypsy tears switching to another weapon just yet. and it really cant get all that much crazier were already 99, and not seeing level 100.

Matsui said: »
[source]
Akihiko Matsui
Dev Team

We are not planning to enhance relic, mythic, or empyrean weapons via Trial of the Magians or through other methods.

No. While it's admittedly somewhat cryptic/equivocal, they said the opposite.
 Siren.Taruina
Server: Siren
user: zerich
By Siren.Taruina 2013-03-27 11:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

We should all take five seconds and look at how shitty the OP's THF is and admire his lack of priorities.
By mattyc 2013-03-27 11:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

However, in regards to these weapons that you have enhanced up to level 99, we are formulating plans so that they do not go to waste. (Including the weapons that do not yet have their afterglows.)

either way i'm not biting my nails over this topic.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2013-03-27 11:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

either way i'm not biting my nails over this topic.

Phoenix.Morier said: »
Might want to try quoting the other parts. I just don't know how people miss this?!! omg!

Cerberus.Kodaijin said: »
But they are planning something... we just dont know what

Don't go to waste sounds like a pretty *** weak endorsement to me.

"Will continue to reign supreme" would have been great, "will remain among the top options" would have been disheartening but somewhat acceptable, "won't go to waste" is pretty *** weak, and incidentally, smells suspiciously like Evoliths.
 Carbuncle.Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2013-03-27 11:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

[source]
Akihiko Matsui
Dev Team

Do you seriously think that if there was a 165base dmg GA they are suddenly going to be out dotting a lvl 90-99 ukon... because frankly in my mind it aint happenin... and upheaval is still garbage unless stacked with mightystrikes... sure ive seen it put out some respectable numbers unstacked... but its nothin on ukkos.

Until I see reliable math info on these new weapons to prove they are better,then they are just weps to use if you didnt have a relic or high lvl empy to keep you on a reasonable par with said relic or empy users.

People need to stop shitting their pants when they see a higher lvl base dmg weapon and instantly thinking its the best....because you know... it might very well not be.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2013-03-27 11:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sambb said: »
[source]
Akihiko Matsui
Dev Team

Do you seriously think that if there was a 165base dmg GA they are suddenly going to be out dotting a lvl 90-99 ukon... because frankly in my mind it aint happenin... and upheaval is still garbage unless stacked with mightystrikes... sure ive seen it put out some respectable numbers unstacked... but its nothin on ukkos.

Until I see reliable math info on these new weapons to prove they are better,then they are just weps to use if you didnt have a relic or high lvl empy to keep you on a reasonable par with said relic or empy users.

People need to stop shitting their pants when they see a higher lvl base dmg weapon and instantly thinking its the best....because you know... it might very well not be.

It may not be, but if this is the "out of the gate" new gear, it doesn't bode well for the weapon down the road.

Some of you are having a really tough time grasping this, huh

If you guys would read the thread before posting, I wouldn't have to keep quoting previous posts :(
By mattyc 2013-03-27 11:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

stop trolling, jesus, just let it go, and see what happens, im not gonna trip over all of this, a relic is a relic, not hard to make um.
and i didnt see your evolith post, that's a theory, or synergy using the fragments "scrap fragments for 8-12" and maybe get some cool additional stats? who knows? who cares?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2013-03-27 11:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be only too glad to continue to upgrade my 99 Emp. Unfortunately, they appear to be explicitly saying that they don't have plans for that to happen.

I'm aware that he says that R/M/E "won't go to waste," but I read "won't go to waste" as "well you can sort of salvage them with evoliths or something as one of our afterthoughts"

"Will still have the potential to reign supreme" or "Will continue to be among the top options" would have been closer to the words I was hoping for.

That is really disappointing :| why even make these peerless weapons which are supposed to dominate everything ("supposed to" ... look at Gungnir/Claustrum etc) if you're not going to offer them more power in an expansion which hopefully offers everyone more power?
 Sylph.Mordra
Server: Sylph
user: Mordra
By Sylph.Mordra 2013-03-27 11:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Taruina said: »
We should all take five seconds and look at how shitty the OP's THF is and admire his lack of priorities.

What's truly wrong with it during the "current" data capture of gear I was running around in at that point in time? Again, please forgive me for being gone a long time and coming back to many changes. I have focused the last 4 months solely on getting Mandau from stage 3 to lv 90, and not much else. I am TOTALLY open to constructive criticism that would improve my "shitty THF". I don't use Fajin Boots for anything other than running around in. I have 5/5 Raider's +2. I do run around in Love Torque, Twilight Belt, and yes, the crappy *** Twilight Dagger (until I finish my STR Thokcha). I have a DEX Thokcha, which I used for main hand until I got Mandau. I know my gear is sub-par. Please, give me some advice, not rip me apart.

As for "ninja-editting" the first post, I was not aware that this forum doesn't put a "last edit" timestamp, as it was my very first post in this site's forums. I truly was being sarcastic, whether you believe it or not, and apparently left myself wide open for bashing. I don't go around bragging about myself, my LOLTHF, or anything else for that matter. I also don't parade around that I'm a know-it-all or know everything there is to know about this game. I came back because of those lol-moments in 6 man parties that made the game fun.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2013-03-27 11:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

If they added an Augmentation with Scraps to Relics... I think I'd be okay with this.

Mandau's Primary augment would be Treasure Hunter +1, cause fk you thats why -Love SE.

Siren.Taruina said: »

What's truly wrong with it during the "current" data capture of gear I was running around in at that point in time? Again, please forgive me for being gone a long time and coming back to many changes. I have focused the last 4 months solely on getting Mandau from stage 3 to lv 90, and not much else. I am TOTALLY open to constructive criticism that would improve my "shitty THF". I don't use Fajin Boots for anything other than running around in. I have 5/5 Raider's +2. I do run around in Love Torque, Twilight Belt, and yes, the crappy *** Twilight Dagger (until I finish my STR Thokcha). I have a DEX Thokcha, which I used for main hand until I got Mandau. I know my gear is sub-par. Please, give me some advice, not rip me apart.

You can start by picking up a Suppoanomimi... Theres a lot of other selections, but you're about on Par with a "Abyssea veteran", Emp+2 gear, etc.

Only obvs upgrades i can think of are NNI and Salv2 related.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-03-27 11:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This is about as close to a valid concern as anybody's going to get, but the gap between the what-are-obviously-rare-Naakual-weapons and everything else is still pretty big, so it seems likely these drops are intended to stay top dog among Adoulin loot for a while.

Fire, wind, and water-resist weapons are the only ones released so far, which leads me to believe we're only going to have access to three Naakuals from launch via colonization.
By mattyc 2013-03-27 11:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL KARBUNCLE!
 Carbuncle.Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2013-03-27 11:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive already read that and I stick by my statement because its based on general application.
By mattyc 2013-03-27 11:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

my point is this...dont QQ until you have a real reason to QQ.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2013-03-27 11:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

because its based on general application.

what.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2013-03-27 11:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually quite like the idea of that for some reason....
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2013-03-27 11:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont get this. Did you read this topic at all before posting because I didnt see any QQ's(besides the OP).
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2013-03-27 11:57:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It was meant as a general sweeping statment regarding whats being discussed.

People always QQ about when something which appears to be better will beat their shiney.. then.. they realise.. oh wait it doesnt...
By mattyc 2013-03-27 11:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

no Pwnzone it wasn't directed at everyone, it was directed at whoever is QQ'n in general.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2013-03-27 12:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It was meant as a general sweeping statment regarding whats being discussed.

People always QQ about when something which appears to be better will beat their shiney.. then.. they realise.. oh wait it doesnt...

There appears to be nothing in this update that touches Ukon, which would be the only thing I personally have reason to worry about. That said, the weapons that DID get released are enough of an indicator of future content that it's pretty obvious which way the wind is blowing. If you're not capable of extrapolating a future power curve based on initial offerings, I'm not really sure what to say to you.

It's roughly analogous to the 80 cap, a lot of 75 gear was still relevant then, but you could pretty easily deduce your 75 gear was on the way out, as 80 was the tip of the iceberg.

The difference is, they gave relic owners a chance to keep up then.

This is not a difficult concept to grasp.