Lakshmi.Darkdoom
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: DarkdoomG
By Lakshmi.Darkdoom 2019-09-26 11:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Outlawbruce said: »
Asura.Shiraj said: »
Monk's damage is fine imo, of course it could be improved, but so could every job.
It's not supposed to be a zerg dps job. You're completely misunderstanding why Monk is good.

Monk is lacking behind all DD jobs. It only becomes good when impetus is up. One way to give it a little boost when impetus is down is to have triple damage proc on all hits of the main hand.

Or let boost work with weapon skills and have no delay. Lol

Its really not that far behind if you're actually geared, boost being useful again and a small overall bump on monk WS damage would put it right in line with other DDs.
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2019-09-26 11:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Make Kick Attacks be 3 hits with that do ~5.3x damage, 15% of STR and INT as extra base damage, extra crit hit rate scaling with your current TP, and an additional effect stun.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-09-26 11:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Boost is really useless, I totally forgot it was an ability and left it off of my list entirely. Pretty much anything they do to the ability would improve it, since nearly nobody bothers using it.

I would adjust impetus job points, to be an extra 3 seconds per rank. This would be 60 seconds capped, and you'd only have 1 minute of downtime with it. The extra attack bonus is nearly useless if you miss before reaching that cap. The Whole missing part is where the ability gets dealt a bad hand. You will always reset even on incredibly weak monsters, eventually. If they made impetus full time, or at the least the adjustment mentioned above, it would improve their DPS a bit longer for when it wears off

That one minute down time can be used with footwork, so you will always have a sound rotation of buffs
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-09-26 11:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes I wonder if you even think for two seconds about the things you guys suggest.

Do you have any concept of how imbalanced that could potentially be. It's already 3 minute mighty strikes every 5 minutes. with +50% crit damage. It's already pretty ridiculous that impetus even gets to be a thing. yet you're always looking for ways to make it even stronger.
[+]
By Nariont 2019-09-26 11:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Outside of maybe extending footwork duration and making boost remotely useful in some way i think the offensive side of mnks jas is fine, impetus is the last thing id buff outside of making the miss penalty as severe as it is.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-09-26 11:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Any buff to Impetus would be beyond HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, c'mon let's be serious about this.
Making the penalty a bit less severe maybe, ok, but buffing it in any other way... c'mon!

There's plenty of space to work on all other JAs though.
Make the AF augment extend Focus/Dodge duration instead of increasing the already pretty high potency would be nice, for instance. But realistically they can stay as they are.

They really need to do something about boost though, whatever I don't care, but do something about it!
What people proposed a long time ago is probably the best course. Turn boost into a WS booster that doesn't affect normal attacks and doesn't have all the shitty delay penalty of the current version. You just use it every time it's ready and it's gonna boost the damage of your next WS at the cost of a JA use delay, period.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2019-09-26 12:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Monk is lacking behind all DD jobs.

I would like to see the evidence of this. I've heard it said for years before the recent updates. I've heard the rationalizations that its about WS damage and zerg fights.

What I haven't seen is actual numbers to support this claim that mnk is worst dd.

frankly I think mnk should be fantastic for the divergence wave 2 and wave 3 bosses.

They are longer fights where subtle blow should help alot.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-09-26 12:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

As soon as a second dd starts hitting a mob all subtle blow is pointless realistically.

"Monk is the worst dd" is because it's not a dd. It's not a war no matter how bad you want it to be. It's used for different scenarios.

This is the part you get wrong. Mnk blu thf cor aren't supposed to be on equal ground with war sam drk drg. I know that square does a poor job balancing however.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-09-26 12:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
I've heard the rationalizations that its about WS damage and zerg fights.

That's because the people comparing Monk to other jobs are only looking at it in the context of a zerg fight and nothing else. It certainly falls behind in a zerg when being compared directly vs other high tier DDs. It's kind of hard to see where Monk is really useful in that kind of setting when you have several DDs negating the very thing Monk shines on, which is low TP feed killing.

People do not compare PUP tanking to PLD/RUN, because there is no comparison. But there are unique situations where PUP tanking is extremely useful, and even better than a standard tank strategy. It doesn't need to be better than standard tanks because it has a role of its own. Monk is much of the same. The key is to keep everything in its proper context and not try to justify racing to deplete the monster's life bar, just to save 20 seconds, and ignore anything else it has going for it.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2019-09-26 12:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
Ah i thought it was triple proc off any hit of the main hand fist, though i also recall in the past it was really wonky and am effects only procced off the off-hand fist, but yes h2h is a funny one
that’s just a chat log/visual thing. the first hit is the only one capable of having double or triple damage. verified myself somewhere in this thread with all the weapons
[+]
 Asura.Outlawbruce
user: Cronnus
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2019-09-26 12:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Darkdoom said: »
Monk's damage is fine imo, of course it could be improved, but so could every job.
It's not supposed to be a zerg dps job. You're completely misunderstanding why Monk is good.

Monk is lacking behind all DD jobs. It only becomes good when impetus is up. One way to give it a little boost when impetus is down is to have triple damage proc on all hits of the main hand.

Or let boost work with weapon skills and have no delay. Lol

Its really not that far behind if you're actually geared, boost being useful again and a small overall bump on monk WS damage would put it right in line with other DDs.

I have all things monk. It lags behind WHEN impetus is down. And whoever is saying Mnk isn't a DD up there. .....lol. anything after that just isn't read. Impetus up mnk fairs close with r15 masamune. How is that not a DD? LOL. All DPS was written pages ago and it keeps up with all jobs, but for 3 mins. The only thing that could close the gap more would be to proc triple damage on all hits of your main hand.

Or possibly do something with boost. But god knows we were get arcana circle equivalent to beating up saplings.
 Bahamut.Eternallight
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Eternallight 2019-09-26 13:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I though the issue with monk was that its WS were not really worth using once you got to a point in gear.

It was better to just do white damage rather than WS due to the attack delay after WSing.

Mind you, I don't play monk at all, it was just the common complaint I have heard.
By SimonSes 2019-09-26 13:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Boost would be great with simple change. Just remove added delay and make it 60sec recast, 60 sec duration with same maximum potency as it is now and it wears off on first hit or WS (similar to Sneak Attack for example).
 Odin.Mrgamm
Server: Odin
user: MRGAMMV
By Odin.Mrgamm 2019-09-26 13:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

In all honesty, I explain this to a lot of people returning to the game, SE kinda broke the game when Abyssea came out and for a good reason. So many people are thirsty for the "Meta" type feeling certain jobs and play styles offer. More bluntly put, Yes there are still jobs in the current game state that require more upkeep and personal experience. I find it absolutely counter intuitive to base a jobs use off of group events, as well the effort which most players apply to said events and situations. Hence why SE does not buff or nerf certain jobs given the games state currently, they dont get paid to read NA Forums. If everyone was playing monk, as much as they read about why not to, then the "Meta" around its use would be helpful. I can attest to talking to multiple people who have and play monk willfully... its the same job its always been, there is just a much higher skill cap(More Gear).

P.S. I was the one of the few players at the time to ChiBlast KB back in the HNM era, and it was only because i wanted/needed Black Belt. Monk was my only job at the time and it was what "I" wanted to offer to the game, which has always been the point of my monthly payment to SE.
By SimonSes 2019-09-26 13:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Eternallight said: »
I though the issue with monk was that its WS were not really worth using once you got to a point in gear.

It was better to just do white damage rather than WS due to the attack delay after WSing.

Mind you, I don't play monk at all, it was just the common complaint I have heard.

Not really, but outside of few cases (mostly R15 Veret with Impetus up spaming Vsmite) white damage on monk is so strong and WS damage scales so well, that you have similar dps WSing at 1300TP and Wsing at 2300TP.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-09-26 13:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

that's only really true with shijin and asuran. Everything else is reasonably usable. No other job has as many "good" ws.

You get howling raging tk smite fh all being worth using.

Issues being sc properties, and no replicating f t p.
 Bahamut.Eternallight
By Bahamut.Eternallight 2019-09-26 13:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like Asuran could be legit good if it had replicating TP and a bit higher of stat ratios. (especially thanks to the +50% damage ambu weapon if you didnt have RMEA).
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2019-09-26 13:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Even Shijin has the use of applying plague. Not great for damage compared to the other options but when you want to minimize TP usage by mobs...
By SimonSes 2019-09-26 13:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Zeto said: »
Even Shijin has the use of applying plague. Not great for damage compared to the other options but when you want to minimize TP usage by mobs...

Speaking of that, I changed my Shijin set to 4/5 Malignance (dont have last piece). Malignance has quite a lot of DEX and 50macc on each piece, which helps landing that plague. Shijin also has small attack boost, so it's a little easier to take advantage of that PDL on Malignance.
[+]
 Bahamut.Eternallight
By Bahamut.Eternallight 2019-09-26 13:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

With plague and how much SB/SBII monk gets, can it near TP 0 something?
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2019-09-26 13:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Pandemonium.Zeto said: »

Speaking of that, I changed my Shijin set to 4/5 Malignance (dont have last piece). Malignance has quite a lot of DEX and 50macc on each piece, which helps landing that plague. Shijin also has small attack boost, so it's a little easier to take advantage of that PDL on Malignance.

That's awesome. Thank you for sharing!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-09-26 13:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm fine with a simple Boost update, that greatly enhances Chi Blast Damage, Melee or WS Damage. I wouldn't even mind going back to a full MND build for Chi if the damage was worth it xD
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-09-26 13:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

With plague and how much SB/SBII monk gets, can it near TP 0 something?

No, and this is something that needs to change. Ability to give zero TP needs to happen. and plague from spiral needs to be more potent. Even with penance plague 75SB and 100% counter a mob will eventually still get tp.

SB cap is 75

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I'm fine with a simple Boost update, that greatly enhances Chi Blast Damage, Melee or WS Damage. I wouldn't even mind going back to a full MND build for Chi if the damage was worth it xD

I said it like 2 years ago last time we talked about how to make mnk "good"... pretty much just making boost into a sneak attack analog does it. (wsd instead of crit)
[+]
 Bahamut.Eternallight
By Bahamut.Eternallight 2019-09-26 13:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess im staying with rdm enspell cheese ;) lol
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-09-26 17:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally got myself the Gin solo on Monk, this was actually very hard compared to RUN or RDM, got 75% of the video uploading....

My recording software crashed when I started it, but managed to catch it at 75% and re-start it from there.
This was a real challenge, I played it very safe cos I was struggling a lot compared to other jobs.
Went to Gin with 41 minutes left lmao. Killed Glassy Thinker in 7 minutes.

Thanks to those who gave me advice, you the real ones!

Edit: Here is the video for anyone interested.
[+]
By ryukin182 2019-09-26 21:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Now i'm not trying to ***on you, but is this where the line is drawn at "solo"? Trusts being solo but alts not? I get a lot of ***for things like this and I guess I dont understand
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-09-26 21:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Define solo as whatever the *** you feel like.

You can be the "solo player" regardless of what you're in control of.
You can be the "solo character" using trusts.
You can be "literally solo" no trust.
You can be "true solo" with no trust, and no outside buffs.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-09-26 21:37:10
Link | Quote | Reply

ryukin182 said: »
Now i'm not trying to ***on you, but is this where the line is drawn at "solo"? Trusts being solo but alts not? I get a lot of ***for things like this and I guess I dont understand

My guy, I answered this a lot. Trusts are dumb. They are literally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. This ***what I do with trusts is not always as easy as people would like to think it is, if you think otherwise, be my guest and try it.

If I soloed it with 2-3 alts and still classed it as Soloing, then sure you can call me on that, but trusts do count as actual soloes because it's still very hard to pull this stuff off.

If I had even 1 alt it would be better than having 10 trusts because I have control of that. I took an 840 skill GEO to omen once and cleared the whole thing in like 35 minutes on RUN with 0 difficulty at all.
Now with trusts, difficulty is always going to be there.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2019-09-26 21:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2019-09-26 22:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

ryukin182 said: »

My guy, I answered this a lot. Trusts are dumb. They are literally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. This ***what I do with trusts is not always as easy as people would like to think it is, if you think otherwise, be my guest and try it.

If I soloed it with 2-3 alts and still classed it as Soloing, then sure you can call me on that, but trusts do count as actual soloes because it's still very hard to pull this stuff off.

If I had even 1 alt it would be better than having 10 trusts because I have control of that. I took an 840 skill GEO to omen once and cleared the whole thing in like 35 minutes on RUN with 0 difficulty at all.
Now with trusts, difficulty is always going to be there.

I'm confused as to how it is hard? You just tp in mostly magic evasion gear and DT and weapon skill. Is it the chakra timing that's hard? Lol. Theres nothing hard about the monk job. It's all about the trusts keeping you alive.
If trusts are so HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Then just do it without them. You've picked specifically certain trusts to cater to what's needed for the fight. Yoran stands out of range from petrify. The rest of them buff and cure and keep you alive while not feeding tp.
First Page 2 3 ... 260 261 262 ... 363 364 365