New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » iiPunch - Monk Guide
iiPunch - Monk Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 234 235 236 ... 363 364 365
By SimonSes 2019-01-02 08:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Topace said: »
Been gone since September is monk any better or am I coming back tot he same ***? Has the WSD bug been patched?

Its worse than with WSD bug (its a guess, I don't really know real numbers about MNK DPS during WSD bug and have no intention to emulate it now), but it's relatively better compared to other DDs than before, because of recent accuracy fix for h2h.

Now accuracy caps at 99% for both fists, making Impetus far better than before (you dont lose stacks that often and builds them faster too). This indirectly buffs Victory Smite under Impetus and in general (higher chance for landing all hits).

You will see a very big drop in DPS with Impetus down tho. According to sheet with augmented Veret it's a drop from ~8100 DPS with Impetus up (~8860 with both Impetus and Footwork up, if you decide to use them together) to 6050 with impetus down (6700 with Impetus down, but Footwork up, if you decide to split them).

Also with Impetus up, nothing comes close to augmented Veret, but with Impetus down, it's a closer call, especially if you split Footwork and Impetus and you overtping (Veret still wins tho)
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-01-02 08:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
SimonSes said: »
Also AFAIK Kick Attack damage doesn't work for Tornado kick outside of Footwork up, so using AF+3 feet for Tornado outside of Footwork up is bad.

I don't know if this is true. In fact, it isn't. But even if it was true and you didn't get any bonuses from using af3 feet without the use of footwork, you wouldn't be using tornado kicks anyways unless it is active since impetus smite is just better anyways. The point of tornado kick = use it while buffed with footwork. When it wears off, who cares what gear does or doesn't buff it, stop using it.

Don't say it isn't true like it's a fact when it probably isn't. Kick attack damage working for kick attacks during TP without Footwork is whole other story than WS using a kick attack damage instead of weapon damage.

Under Tornado Kick on bgwiki, you can see this:
"During Footwork, Tornado Kick uses Foot base damage instead of Hand base damage.

This includes "Kick Attacks" attack+ armor like Shukuyu Sune-Ate."

Since bgwiki is not enough of evidence I went in and tested it. 10012 dmg with normal shoes, 9766 with +100 kick attack damage shoes (same STR and VIT and only first hit landing on very low lvl enemy).
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-02 09:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a moot point even if it is true, is what I'm saying. Why would you bother using Dragon/Tornado kick if you didn't have footwork up? Whether the bonus conversion to kick damage occurs without FW (and subsequent argument of using AF+3 feet while FW is down) is irrelevant, there isn't a scenario you'd use it outside of other WS if Footwork is not active.
 Phoenix.Amarok
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amarok 2019-01-02 09:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

High attack buffed Vere MNK (couple of ranks added to the 119 III version) has been monster in this months Ambu Vol. 1.

Seeing white dmg of 74k crits (maybe even higher, I just eyeballed a few) on the boss with AM3 up.

So far we couldn't find another job that even came close on overall parse. I would put counterstance up from the start to help with the oh-***moments with shadows down, since it will be facing you a lot.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-02 09:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have an upgraded Verethragna yet, but I do have a R10 Spharai, and yes the damage is pretty insane on Monk, with counters and punch damage. Hit 24k DPS on parse and it was a monster.

BUT....

Losing 1-2 songs/rolls during that shitty Gen'yei 5-hit move is absurd, and slows you down. And it is unavoidable with 3 shadows up: you will lose songs/rolls. Bard has to resing or whatever, and you have to waste time re-applying shadows to not lose all your haste buffs. You still come out ahead of other jobs, but I have noticed a lot of people who are saying how good MNK is for this month's ambuscade are ignoring this very important detail. You deal insane damage from 100-60, but then you have to play defensive a bit so as to not get hit with AE (in FULL COUNTER SET I still died after an Unblest > AE attack while getting caught in WS animation. Counter != Utsusemi. I have a near-perfect counter set, minus R15 weapon). After one run of having to deal with 3 shadows in a counter defensive set praying I didn't get AE, I switched back to NIN. But if you can stand losing a song or roll or two, or possibly living on the edge with an AE proc, power to you. *hat tip*

Now, if you could counter through shadows like how NIN can do it when getting a Tactical Parry proc, Monk would be unstoppable. You'd literally never get hit. I wish that was one small change the would make, but shadow = miss, hence no counter activation.
By SimonSes 2019-01-02 09:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a moot point even if it is true, is what I'm saying. Why would you bother using Dragon/Tornado kick if you didn't have footwork up? Whether the bonus conversion to kick damage occurs without FW (and subsequent argument of using AF+3 feet while FW is down) is irrelevant, there isn't a scenario you'd use it outside of other WS if Footwork is not active.

To make 3 step double light with Dragon > Final > Final
or 4 step with Tornado > Shijin > Final > Final

for example.

Also what you are saying is.. It doesn't matter if Kick attack damage on Tornado only works under Footwork, because Kick attack damage on Tornado only works under Footwork (because the bonus under footwork you are talking about is EXACTLY that)
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-02 09:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Also what you are saying is.. It doesn't matter if Kick attack damage on Tornado only works under Footwork, because there is no reason to use TK unless FW is up to begin with

FTFW. Also, your examples...There's several ways to make great skillchains. If you're looking for some superb damage, Godhands is the way to go, especially for Kick WS. You can activate FW for that first/second kick and push out some crazy numbers if going for a Radiance, and then switch to Smite/RF after. Why do you need to not have FW active for the purpose of doing those multisteps? You can do some good multisteps without kick WS after FW wears, nearly nothing is lost (smite is better anyways when FW is down, impetus). Again:

there isn't a [practical] scenario you'd use it outside of other WS if Footwork is not active.
By SimonSes 2019-01-02 10:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Also what you are saying is.. It doesn't matter if Kick attack damage on Tornado only works under Footwork, because there is no reason to use TK unless FW is up to begin with

FTFW. Also, your examples...There's several ways to make great skillchains. If you're looking for some superb damage, Godhands is the way to go, especially for Kick WS. You can activate FW for that first/second kick and push out some crazy numbers if going for a Radiance, and then switch to Smite/RF after. Why do you need to not have FW active for the purpose of doing those multisteps? You can do some good multisteps without kick WS after FW wears, nearly nothing is lost (smite is better anyways when FW is down, impetus). Again:

there isn't a [practical] scenario you'd use it outside of other WS if Footwork is not active.

Your FTFW is just funny.

I think you don't exactly understand what are you saying. The bonus on Footwork for Tornado is EXACTLY THAT KICK ATTACK DAMAGE WORKS TO BOOST IT, so you can equip foot attack damage for Tornado under Footwork. This is exactly the bonus you are talking about all this time. So it's quite important that this mechanic only works under Footwork, because otherwise it would be beneficial to use Tornado Kick outside of FW.

I don't know if this is true. In fact, it isn't. But even if it was true and you didn't get any bonuses from using af3 feet without the use of footwork, you wouldn't be using tornado kicks anyways unless it is active

What you said here is pretty much, that Kick Attack damage working only under Footwork is not true, but it doesn't matter because you would use Tornado only during Footwork because it gets bonus of.. kick attack damage working to boost it only during Footwork lol
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-02 10:23:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I was speaking of the increase in attack% to kicks during Footwork, not necessarily the conversion to kick damage. Without that Attack bonus to kicks from FW, the WS aren't worth using. If BG is correct in that the base kick damage is not applying to non FW kick WS, then my apologies. I always assumed Tornado and Dragon Kick would logically use Kick Damage formula, hence the reason to always use the Feet. But if it doesn't, kind of silly. Even more reason to never use it without the applicable JA. But my argument was from the Attack bonus increase itself, not the converted damage calculation.
By SimonSes 2019-01-02 10:33:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I was speaking of the increase in attack% to kicks during Footwork, not necessarily the conversion to kick damage. Without that Attack bonus to kicks from FW, the WS aren't worth using. If BG is correct in that the base kick damage is not applying to non FW kick WS, then my apologies. I always assumed Tornado and Dragon Kick would logically use Kick Damage formula, hence the reason to always use the Feet. But if it doesn't, kind of silly. Even more reason to never use it without the applicable JA. But my argument was from the Attack bonus increase itself, not the converted damage calculation.

Ok I get you. Still that would mean that with capped attack, FW would do nothing to TK and DK.

The biggest bonus of FW for those WSes is not attack boost, but Kick Attack damage being added as base damage.

+25% attack bonus is cool but it pales in comparison to +185 base damage you get under Footwork with right gear.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-02 10:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

*mini rant* I just cringe at the thought of having to create MORE JA/WS Up/Down/High Att/Acc/Low etc sets. At this point, for a vanilla non-lua player, it is literally impossible to maximize sets in this fashion. They create too many pieces of gear that augment or adjust a certain JA or WS, that you have to create too many macros to keep up with it. You need a set that swaps out your normal NIN tp seki shuriken for a throwable one during sange. You need a set where you use KA gear for Footwork, to maximize the potential of kicks. You need a set to swap into Bhikku Cyclas +1 in order to make use of that Impetus bonus. You need a macro for when you're high on attack, low on accuracy, and vice versa, or somewhere in between. You need a set for DT, or a hybrid DT, or a Hybrid DT/high meva high attack high MND set, a set for when you have amnesia, or a set for when you're slowed, or unhasted, or.... hundreds of other scenarios. But the ordinary game in vanilla mode doesn't even give the average player the tools to do accomplish this maximization. Unless you want to double your macro palette. Game practically begs you to use a bot to automate the game, else you risk falling behind.

Much of the reason behind why I just "play" the game and I don't care about all these spreadsheet scenarios. They are impossible for a non lua player to accomplish, and near unlikely for a lua player to meet those numbers. It's all one gigantic "it depends" scenario. Just sick of hearing about more up/down/etc sets for more situations. I preferred gear when it gave you the bonus entirely when you simply activated the JA and had the item worn at the same time.

/end
 Asura.Akaden
Server: Asura
By Asura.Akaden 2019-01-02 12:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The game has always been about gearing for the situation. Any game that has accuracy and varying tiers of enemies' evasion will have the same "problem". Back in the day wasn't any different. There was just less available usable space and gear.
But frankly, that's not a problem with the game. And framing it as such makes you seem bitter because you can't cope with the challenge the game provides.
It seems long ago, SE embraced the 3rd party systems built around the game as long as it doesn't hurt others' enjoyment (such as botting, hacking, etc.). That's not a bad thing. It's growing with your community. And honestly, it's helped me enjoy this aging game more and more every day.
As a response to this, SE also introduced a new game that was aggressively designed around *not requiring* this depth of gameplay and the seemingly required level of automation. The title is not spoken here often for fear of being accused of treachery. But it's 3 titles ahead of everyone else's favorite game.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-01-02 13:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need that many sets with non-lua setup. You just need to share some of it. I have a standard, DT, WSD, Smite and JA activate sets.

I might have 1 high acc and high acc wsd in case where I really need accuracy but I would probably use something else if my mnk can't hit stuff with sushi and standard gear.

I just swap in kick feet for kick WS. No need to pay attention to whether I have FW up or not.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-01-02 13:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
You don't need that many sets with non-lua setup. You just need to share some of it. I have a standard, DT, WSD, Smite and JA activate sets.

I might have 1 high acc and high acc wsd in case where I really need accuracy but I would probably use something else if my mnk can't hit stuff with sushi and standard gear.

I just swap in kick feet for kick WS. No need to pay attention to whether I have FW up or not.

Shun(and/or shame) this man for he plays un-optimally!
 Asura.Akaden
By Asura.Akaden 2019-01-02 13:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kusaregedo said: »
it is overwhelming at times, but also the thing i like most about this game. i've managed to reach a happy medium between perfect optimization and ease of use on most jobs, sacrificing a few things here and there.
In fact, that's what most people do. The amount of detail you can get into in a gearswap lua depends entirely on how far you want to go (and how much of your wardrobes you want to use for that job).
And most people forget when they're arguing about BiS back and forth for days at a time, it's usually 1-2%. The person behind the screen playing at optimum efficiency, reacting to gameplay mechanics is going to contribute far more than that. Having the best gear and lua in the world won't mean you're top parse. But, at least for me, it means I can prepare for a situation before I get into it. Then I can worry about what happens on the field instead of fumbling with gear. Every fight has 2 fronts. The first is preparation.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-01-02 13:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

1% is gamebreaking. 2% is lifechanging. You can finish events literally seconds faster. That's years of time saved dood.
By Afania 2019-01-02 13:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
1% is gamebreaking. 2% is lifechanging. You can finish events literally seconds faster. That's years of time saved dood.

Min maxing in ffxi is mostly just personal pleasure. It doesnt serve much purpose otherwise.

I min max a lot on cor, and I consider myself a parse fanatic and "1% matters!!!!111" crowd. But Im not going to pretend it actually has real game changing benefit to the pt outside of myself having fun with it, lol.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-01-02 14:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kusaregedo said: »
it is overwhelming at times, but also the thing i like most about this game. i've managed to reach a happy medium between perfect optimization and ease of use on most jobs, sacrificing a few things here and there.
I share the feeling.
Sometimes I hate the too nichey options and my lack of inventory/patience, but then again it's one of the things I love most about this game.

I too eventually found my compromise somewhere in between and I'm satisfied with it.
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2019-01-03 04:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

what fastcast sets are people using for utsusemi?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-03 08:13:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I use with the exception of enchanters. I use the vagary one instead.

ItemSet 364220
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-01-03 08:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

That's my set exactely, except I have no FC cape and I use weatherspoon+1.
Also Rahab in place of Kishar because MNK can't equip the latter lol.

Also I midcast with Mujin Mantle. I wonder if that's worth anymore.
When is the -seconds of delay calculated? Before FC/Haste? After? How?

Edit:
While I don't suggest going for it because of the cost, HQ Adhemar path D is better than 5% FC augment Taeon body.
HQ Adhemar is quite useful for a job like RUN. Getting for RUN and then re-using it for other jobs makes sense.
Getting it just for MNK sounds like a waste of gil, if you ask me. Or at least not something I'd do before you're BiS in every other single slot.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-03 09:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I have it in my set for monk, because I use the same equipset for all light DDs, and then swap where necessary. I think I use Lebeche instead of Kishar in the actual equip line, but this is what my set shows. Would have to check in game. Might be prolix
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-01-03 09:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop being lazy and start using Gearswap, you big guy! /slap
Or Ashitacast if you don't wanna use the former.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-03 09:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm at the point where I'm so stuck on my ways and I'm fine getting by with my casual ***, I have little care this far xD.

No but really, I'm about to wipe this whole computer and reinstall ffxi very soon anyways, Cuz it occasionally freezes for no reason. Might be a good time to get into the gearswap thing. I have no idea where to start. And I'm not about to read a long winded readme file written by some tech Geek and pretend to understand it. Link me to a YouTube video that explains it and I'll take a look.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-01-03 09:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

If you ever messed with hypertext languages at school when you were a kid and/or if you liked them, Lua is pretty simple to learn in its basics. Basics are honestly all you need for most jobs/situations.
You can also start from an incredibly simple barebone Lua file and then improve step by step from there.
It's what I did for Spellcast. Started to automatize things slowly, while keeping some stuff in my macros, then slowly I moved to Spellcast completely.

Otherwise you can just use pre-made files and simply swap the gear and/or comment parts that you don't need.
I'm too OCD to do that and I built all my Luas from scratch, but I see a lot of people who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about lua or xml that sort of lanaguage definers and they still managed to succesfully use pre-made Luas.
If they managed to do that, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do the same.

I think MNK in particular is a good starting point. It's a pretty straightforward job that doesn't really require anything fancy, at least for starting.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-03 09:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know of any scripting languages in detail, only query language. I could probably figure it out. I have been saying this for a few years now, so maybe when they release that expansion to the Far East, I'll be ready...
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2019-01-03 09:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lua is incredibly simple. It feels like logic with common human language.

Check the "get_sets" function. It's the initial part of every job Lua, it's where you define the different sets and the relationships among them (if any).
I'm 100% confident you're gonna understand everything from the first read.

There are other functions/parts which are a bit more complex to understand, but you slowly get it. Everything makes absolutely sense.

Then there are other things which are really more complex, but they get used only to do really fancy stuff, it's not really things you'll see in your everyday lua.

Not sure about Ashitacast, I think that too is very similar and more similar to Spellcast (which used XML but wasn't really that different from Lua, from a logical point of view).
Problem with Ashitacast is that less people use it so you'll find less pre-made stuff and less support, probably?
They're not really worlds part in terms of difference though.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-03 10:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

copacetic
By SimonSes 2019-01-03 12:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK can be very complex actually.
It has crit WS so in theory you can make tons of functions to change you Smite set depends on own and outside crit buffs. You have footwork that use different set for tp and in theory you should drop some kick attack if you use footwork and have Spharai AM up. Thats really only a few examples. You can make very complex lua for every job and very simple for even jobs like blu.
First Page 2 3 ... 234 235 236 ... 363 364 365