For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 240 241 242 ... 261 262 263
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-04-08 07:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
If a thief is being brought and they're not getting attack buffs, they're not being brought for damage.

I think the term "BiS" changes with the SE's implementation of endgame content restrictions.

Odyssey/Gaol is the only content worth adjusting gearsets for anymore.

Any content that a THF is brought that can afford a slot for just TH (and not DPS) the dagger choice doesnt matter because the content is lol.

It is timed (15/30) minutes and restricted to 6man.

THF is a perfectly viable DPS in there on certain fights, and all farm runs. There isn't enough time on the clock for a death.

Varja/Cento and malignance are superior there.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-04-08 07:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
THF is a perfectly viable DPS in there on certain fights, and all farm runs.

For most people its not tho. Why would you go THF, when you can use better DD job for Odyssey farming? Nothing that THF brings is worth in C runs. Sneak and Trick attack is just damage amplifiers, still not enough to close the gap to other DD jobs. DPSing in glass gear is risky and dpsing in Malignance push you even further behind other DD jobs.

I also would question Vajra being better in C runs. Fist of all you will lose time/dps to activate AM3, then you will lose a lot of AM3 time while running from camp to camp. You will also lose AM3 completely if you need to switch to Naegling for piercing resistant monsters. You also wont kill the mob with single Mandalic and while single Mandalic might be minimally better than Rudra in uncapped attack, 2x Mandalic wont be better than 2 Rudras, because Mandalic wont self SC, while Rudra will.

Im not sure about THF situation for Gaol NMs, but I feel there are better choice for almost every NM too. I dont think hate manipulation that THF brings is required or very helpful for any NM in Gaol.
By Foxfire 2021-04-08 08:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

anyway, what's the landscape like in terms of ws gear, has much changed over the past year and change or is it still largely similar

i saw some discussion about gleti's for evisceration, but wuhbout RS/manstab, any noticeable upgrades since like, unity augments

maybe odr earring i guess

edit: and gere ring but i haven't done alexander yet
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-04-08 09:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
THF is a perfectly viable DPS in there on certain fights, and all farm runs.

For most people its not tho. Why would you go THF, when you can use better DD job for Odyssey farming? Nothing that THF brings is worth in C runs. Sneak and Trick attack is just damage amplifiers, still not enough to close the gap to other DD jobs. DPSing in glass gear is risky and dpsing in Malignance push you even further behind other DD jobs.

I also would question Vajra being better in C runs. Fist of all you will lose time/dps to activate AM3, then you will lose a lot of AM3 time while running from camp to camp. You will also lose AM3 completely if you need to switch to Naegling for piercing resistant monsters. You also wont kill the mob with single Mandalic and while single Mandalic might be minimally better than Rudra in uncapped attack, 2x Mandalic wont be better than 2 Rudras, because Mandalic wont self SC, while Rudra will.

Im not sure about THF situation for Gaol NMs, but I feel there are better choice for almost every NM too. I dont think hate manipulation that THF brings is required or very helpful for any NM in Gaol.

Sure, if you require the best jobs only.

Sure, if you want to main hand twashtar in a 5/5 malignance build that works just fine.

I use both twash/cento and vajra/cento quite abit.

The situation I see is which dagger setup is optimal for two situation. 1) dark skillchain vs light skillchain. 2) 5/5 malignance.

No crit build. It's a surivability mindset for me.

This same problem used to exist for darks in dynamis D wearing ratri+1. Sure the DPS is better, but you are dead most of the time.
[+]
By Crossbones 2021-04-08 09:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

In that wave 3 run I was talking about I was able to do 15-21k AE using 5/5 nyame and my mandalic / rudra were doing 20-30k unstacked and about 60k stacked while not at pdif and with gandring offhand (rp). My ws avg was over 30k in that run. I think that's pretty decent for a "weak / light" dps job. The only dps we had in alliance was me as thf (also multiboxing geo and whm), a dp cor who was multiboxing brd, and a rdm (who is a top tier rdm). We were able to kill every NM in wave 2 and all mobs except the main boss in wave 3. Just 3 people on those 3 jobs as damage. Sure a drk could do more damage or dnc could add more debuffs but the point is the requirements aren't that high, thf can still do really well, and the run was great.

The main problem thf has is that if your gear isn't bis or close to bis the job simply isn't that strong. But when properly geared its still a great dps. I can totally see why people wouldn't roll the dice on getting a thf for a pug group or why people think thf isn't very strong though.

I didn't try using naegling that run because I was scared it would end up being better than both vajra and twash lol.

Anyways I haven't had the opportunity to play thf in a while but I just finished my vajra and had a chance to do a couple dyna runs recently so I wanted to share my thoughts on R15 vajra. A couple years ago I would have said skip it but with the gear and content landscape now I think it's worth working on for career thfs.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-04-08 10:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Crossbones said: »
A couple years ago I would have said skip it but with the gear and content landscape now I think it's worth working on for career thfs.

This is exactly what I was talking about in my answer to what Taint asked. If you are career THF and just use THF, even if its not optimal job, because it still does the job, then you will run into situations where Vajra will be better. If you are not a career THF and dont mind switching jobs, then you probably shouldnt make Vajra (assuming you have limited resources) and invest in jobs that are optimal in scenarios where THF isnt.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-04-08 10:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Crossbones said: »
A couple years ago I would have said skip it but with the gear and content landscape now I think it's worth working on for career thfs.

This is exactly what I was talking about in my answer to what Taint asked. If you are career THF and just use THF, even if its not optimal job, because it still does the job, then you will run into situations where Vajra will be better. If you are not a career THF and dont mind switching jobs, then you probably shouldnt make Vajra (assuming you have limited resources) and invest in jobs that are optimal in scenarios where THF isnt.

I must have misread that part. But I agree with your statement sir.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-08 11:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing that THF brings is worth in C runs.

Not entirely true. THF will help you finish your Aurum Strongbox/Coffer rank ups faster to cap Moogle Mastery.
By SimonSes 2021-04-08 11:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Nothing that THF brings is worth in C runs.

Not entirely true. THF will help you finish your Aurum Strongbox/Coffer rank ups faster to cap Moogle Mastery.

Thats true, but thats assuming farming segments is not priority, because every mimic will take time and you will get less segments.
By Veydal1 2021-04-08 11:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
Veydal1 said: »
The point is there's plenty of scenarios / content where you will not be attack capped, even if the intent is to have the THF deal damage.

Plenty? Or magic based set ups where you are there for TH mainly and extra DPS?

Not arguing, I just can't think of plenty.

Definitely a fair question. I touched on it a little earlier in the thread -

Veydal1 said: »
...Think of content like Wave 1/2 farming. You're rarely going to have the appropriate buffs / debuffs on mobs to see yourself at attack cap. Vajra and Tauret work well here.

Wave 3, you're more likely to have the appropriate buffs / debuffs available and so you can expect to be at attack cap. Twashtar is great for this. However, Vajra still performs well, based on how many people you go in with, because you might not be getting off more than a handful of WS + the downtime between pulls, so your increased stacked WS damage is welcomed.

HELMs and higher tier Aeonic NMs, Twashtar is king. Especially when you get to run the TP bonus dagger offhand.

Omen can go either way. You can find yourself in an alliance of 18 with the LS and be at attack cap no problem. But with low-man, that might not be the case.

Ambuscade is a toss-up depending on the month. This month is pretty nice since GEO debuff bubbles work without any penalty.

Odyssey is neat because you definitely can cap your acc and run tp bonus offhand. Running Twashtar / Naegling depending on weakness with TP offhand is stupid fun...

There's qualifiers for all scenarios mentioned, among others I'm sure I'm overlooking. And while they aren't absolutes, it's worth considering. It was pointed out that you should find yourself at cap in Wave 1 & 2, and that certainly might be the case. Moreso in Wave 1 than 2 in my experience. Especially when you consider if you're farming wave 1 / 2, you likely have people running around on jobs that might not be optimally geared / proficient with since they're there for RP.

I think if you can expect to be able to use WAR sub for berserk (debatable if you want to use WAR sub over something like DRG or DNC or even NIN in certain scenarios), a -25% defense down (armor break / ageha / blu stuff / BST (even better) / etc.), Fury, Chaos - you should be good to go on most contetnt. Unfortunately, as mentioned previously, that's not always a luxury we can expect, regardless if the THF is being brought to DD.
By Veydal1 2021-04-08 12:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

That discussion actually make me wonder. Does anyone ever tested how attack bonus on WS works with buffs? Is it +75% of base attack or +75% attack of total attack after buffs? Because the difference is huge.

Not sure to be honest. But I'd be happy to test if someone has suggestions.

If I had to guess though, I'd imagine it's similar to most attack +x% JAs like Berserk / Chaos / etc., which is calculated after all + attack gear & buffs is considered. The other +x% JAs / buffs is added together and then multiplied against your final attack after +attack gear & buffs.
For example if you have 1000 base attack, and +100 attack in gear and let's use an easy number of +100 attack from a minuet, you're left with 1200 attack. Then if you use berserk for +25% attack, you've got 1200 attack * 1.25 for 1500 total attack.

If you added another +x% attack buff, say another 25% for example, it'd be 1200 attack * 1.5 for 1800 total attack.

I don't think the attack modifier displays itself in the equipment menu, but if there's any suggestions on how to determine how it's calculated, I'm open to test.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2021-04-19 12:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 379402

Finally finished the AF3 I needed to +3, and got my first Odyssey win. Picked up a couple pieces for my Evisceration set. So, I have some decent pieces for it now. Kind of curious if I'm going in the right direction for Evisceration now?

I think next month I'm going to try to farm up a crit cape from Ambuscade for Evisceration,(no more materials left this month). Anything else I should set my eyes at for Evisceration, or is everything in place?
 Ragnarok.Punisha
Server: Ragnarok
user: Altwight
By Ragnarok.Punisha 2021-04-24 09:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the general consensus to just use your SA set for TA when using WS?

FOllowing the community thf guide and don't see any TA sets.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-24 09:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

General consensus is use SA and TA only on ws, yeah. Something to be said about getting a first hit with SA before you have tp, depending on your level of tryhard.

SA set is identical to TA set
[+]
 Ragnarok.Punisha
By Ragnarok.Punisha 2021-04-24 10:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
General consensus is use SA and TA only on ws, yeah. Something to be said about getting a first hit with SA before you have tp, depending on your level of tryhard.

SA set is identical to TA set

TY. send me some gil.
 Ragnarok.Punisha
By Ragnarok.Punisha 2021-04-30 07:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Best offhand for Aeneas without Twashtar?
 Shiva.Mutih
Server: Shiva
user: mutih
By Shiva.Mutih 2021-04-30 08:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Punisha said: »
Best offhand for Aeneas without Twashtar?
R15 Ternion +1 most of the time. If you're spamming Evis use Gleti's
 Asura.Buffyslyph
By Asura.Buffyslyph 2021-05-07 07:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

How much +TH in gear do I need to hit for the TH14?

Sorry that's the wrong question. BG treasure hunter guide (https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Treasure_Hunter) says:

"With THF as a main job, the effect of equipment, atma, and job ability bonuses on Treasure Hunter is limited to a base of Treasure Hunter +8. This can be raised to a maximum of +12 (or +14, see below) through procs during battle."

So two questions:

1. Assuming I have a mastered thf and the TH3 job trait, does that mean I need +5 in gear for the initial +8?

2. Do I need to have +11 in gear to eventually proc up to TH14 or can I do it in my +5 in gear? From reading the thread there is quite a lot of discourse on this question, and I'm not trying to troll. Asked another way, if I'm +5 in gear can I get TH procs that go up to TH14 or will I cap at TH8?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-07 07:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Buffyslyph said: »

It doesn't work that way. You can wear +5. You can obtain 14 with attacks, not gear.
 Asura.Buffyslyph
By Asura.Buffyslyph 2021-05-07 07:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

It doesn't work that way. You can wear +5. You can obtain 14 with attacks, not gear.

I was rewriting the question when you answered, thank you.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-07 07:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

The first re-edit is indeed +5 in gear, to hit initial 8 (situationally 9)

Second re-edit still isn't 100% answerable.

+5 can and will get you to 14... whether or not wearing +"more than 5" does anything to increase the speed in which it happens is still contentious.
By DaneBlood 2021-05-07 11:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

[s]
1. Assuming I have a mastered thf and the TH3 job trait, does that mean I need +5 in gear for the initial +8?

2. Do I need to have +11 in gear to eventually proc up to TH14 or can I do it in my +5 in gear? From reading the thread there is quite a lot of discourse on this question, and I'm not trying to troll. Asked another way, if I'm +5 in gear can I get TH procs that go up to TH14 or will I cap at TH8?

1: yes, 3 + 5 = 8

2: No, yes, yes no

There are two parts of the TH application procedures
1: is what you have 100% chance of landing on the mob on swings or enmity generating mob targeted action..
That caps at 8. you can not apply more than TH8 on a mob with the 100% probabilty. this is what we reffer to as Taggin the mob with TH. cause you just need to do one single action to apply it

2: the second part is upgrding the TH on the mob. or Proccing it.
THis is not a 100% chance. Tha chance to get an upgrade is according to SE tied to how much TH you have on you. high is better. Higher chance of making these procs
Howver the debate is whatever they mean you just need to have more on you thna on the mob and any extra beyong that does not help, or if any and each TH level above the mob will give bonues to this upgrade chance.

There is not a debate on how it works in the 2 mechanics. there is a debate on what is determined to be enough to archived max potential for upgrading TH beyong the base tag.

Recent testing show minuscule to no benefits from having TH14 vs TH8 in gear in regards to these upgrades (from TH8 and up on the mob).
however the test was meet with some valid criticisme that since the swings was hitting on mobs with a genera higher TH ( due to more swings on a mob) that this might have offset some of the benefits from applying more TH

This argument is logical and valid and follows what we know about TH. it does NOT invalidate the test that was done it just questions it.

We have had no newer good testing that I am aware off

IN short: TH8 cap is for landing the BASE TH on the mob. NOT for the upgrade part.
 Fenrir.Melphina
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-05-07 12:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Correct. The easiest way to achieve this is to equip Plunderer's armlets +1 and the perfect lucky egg.

Numbers and discussions have been had on whether adding more TH in gear increases the rate TH levels faster, but people will never be in total agreement. What we do seem agree on is that even if wearing TH + 22 does affect the rate TH levels up at, it's not much of increase. Testing with +5 in gear and + far more than 5 has shown results to be very close, so at most you're gimping your damage for a very tiny gain.

When I look up what those drop rate increases actually DO on the treasure hunter chart here for items based on their rarity levels I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth it. I recommend just sticking with our relic hands and the egg and being done with it.
[+]
 Asura.Buffyslyph
By Asura.Buffyslyph 2021-05-07 15:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Tauret a decent off-hand for Twashtar? Let's assume Gleti knife is a no for now.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2021-05-07 16:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Tp bonus or R15 Ternion +1
[+]
 Asura.Buffyslyph
By Asura.Buffyslyph 2021-05-07 16:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I just assumed twashtar was BiS for mainhand, is it?
By Crossbones 2021-05-07 18:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on buffs and the situation. Evisceration with tauret is really good at low tp even with minimal buffs. Twash can be the strongest but rudras is really weak at 1k tp and if you aren't using the glass cannon build you won't be taking full advantage of the weapon, which is most of the time in endgame content. I like vajra if I'm in malignance gear, plus mandalic had a built in attack bonus which is nice for high def mobs or when using a lot of gleti gear. Thf has a lot of great weapons so it's all situational imo.
[+]
 Asura.Buffyslyph
By Asura.Buffyslyph 2021-05-07 20:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Tauret is more quickly achievable...Tauret + Ternion +1 a decent combo spamming evisceration?
By drakefs 2021-05-08 01:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not bad but I believe Tauret + Gleti's Knife is BiS for Evisceration spam.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Punisha
By Ragnarok.Punisha 2021-05-14 01:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

What are yall doing to handle weaponskills when you're fully buffed (atk capped) vs not? I'm not enjoying the mode switch that I fiddled with.
First Page 2 3 ... 240 241 242 ... 261 262 263