Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Why Ballista?
Why Ballista?
 Carbuncle.Evviva
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-16 17:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The live stream from earlier~
There is an annoying echo that I don't know what to do about, so I recommend muting the video.
YouTube Video Placeholder

Also, Teska uploaded his own vid~
 Phoenix.Warusha
Server: Phoenix
user: Serithus
By Phoenix.Warusha 2013-10-16 17:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Urteil would have had a fit if someone slid like that against him. Check out the 5-6 minute mark haha.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-16 18:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Warusha said: »
Urteil would have had a fit if someone slid like that against him. Check out the 5-6 minute mark haha.

Sprint + provoke + quarry, at the same time, looks fluid from another person's screen.
Try it with flee + sneak attack + sit at the same time and the result will be the same.

Or.. you know, just watch my live stream and play detective.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-10-16 18:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

An anonymous army intelligence officer has confirmed that the dirt particle emission present in this video is not possible without alien interference.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-18 20:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll be streaming a few official matches tomorrow, starting around 9:30'ish am est~

http://www.twitch.tv/evviva
By Cassini 2013-10-18 21:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Evv and everyone, idk if you remember me, :) glad to know you all are keeping the ballistas alive... about me im playing FFXIV ARR at the moment,on Midgardsomr Server, its awesome but cant compare it to FFXI at all its a totally different game.

PVP content is coming soon, i will confirm it to you if its great or not.

Have a great time!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-19 08:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Live~

Match starts in 15 minutes.
Clicky~
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-19 08:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Match starting~
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-19 10:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Jugner concluded, down time between matches.

30 mins roughly until Pashow~
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-19 10:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Pashow marshlands starting~
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-19 12:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks to everyone who watched the stream!

It got a little wacky and weird at times but it was a good time :3

Official matches are either a big hit or a big miss, I'll make sure to stream some diorama reservations for a little more structure~
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-21 08:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Streaming a diorama reservation~

Clicky~
By Ophannus 2013-10-21 08:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

60 cap was my favorite. It always seemed the most balanced, until SAM got Sekkanoki, Hasso and Seigan. Then SAM/RNG dominated everything. I use to love going RDM/BLU and spamming Bind/Blastbomb too. Man I wonder if 60 cap has changed at all since 2007, probably not since the gear is still the same and not many JAs have changed either.
 Fenrir.Minibuddha
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Minibuddha 2013-10-21 13:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
60 cap was my favorite. It always seemed the most balanced, until SAM got Sekkanoki, Hasso and Seigan. Then SAM/RNG dominated everything. I use to love going RDM/BLU and spamming Bind/Blastbomb too. Man I wonder if 60 cap has changed at all since 2007, probably not since the gear is still the same and not many JAs have changed either.

I think it has changed. More or less its SAM/WAR, RNG/SAM and DRG/SAM. also a lot of BLMs haha. DNC, SCH, RUN and GEO are very scarce really. Still it is just as fun as 2007 :D
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-21 18:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

My connection went poof during the stream, but Teska uploaded a vid of one of the games.

Lots and lots of changes, especially equipment changes since the introduction of level sync.
Check out our LS blog, no longer active but a good source of info for anyone interested in staying up to date.
By Ophannus 2013-10-21 19:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sam/war? Really? Hard to believe that trumps a sam/rng with soboro though. I remember drg/sam sucking at 60 cuz seigen is 35 so /sam gives nothing and /rdm was better for diaga cuz every war dual weilded and used shadows and rampage even drks subbed nin and uses axes so drg/rdm would own them by diagaing shadows and healing breath too. I remeber rdm/blu with earth staff and def food using cocoon would run around baiting people towards a blm which would aoe them or sch/nins rnning around bindga and graviging people. Guess ***changed
 Fenrir.Deno
Server: Fenrir
user: deno
By Fenrir.Deno 2013-10-21 20:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Good to see you're back to Ballista :P
[+]
 Shiva.Cziella
Server: Shiva
user: Rumors
By Shiva.Cziella 2013-10-21 21:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

/WAR is good vs any job with self-healing, provoke won't let you cast cure on yourself or self buff, and DA/berserk/Defender are always useful. You'd be surprised at how good people get with one SINGLE 3rd eye proc vs WSs, and the primary use of /sam is meditate, a lot of people like hiding/picking up medicines/pebbles while they get 100TP to go out and fight.

A lot of lvl 60 job/sj combos are pretty much dependent on the style of the person and not at full job's potential.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-22 03:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sam/war? Really? Hard to believe that trumps a sam/rng with soboro though. I remember drg/sam sucking at 60 cuz seigen is 35 so /sam gives nothing and /rdm was better for diaga cuz every war dual weilded and used shadows and rampage even drks subbed nin and uses axes so drg/rdm would own them by diagaing shadows and healing breath too. I remeber rdm/blu with earth staff and def food using cocoon would run around baiting people towards a blm which would aoe them or sch/nins rnning around bindga and graviging people. Guess ***changed

Essentially, mainstream jobs have shifted towards a more in-your-face oriented versatility. Old tactics of hit, run, hide, repeat are no longer; melee jobs are expected to maintain a presence on the battlefield.

I'm singling out SAM/WAR vs SAM/RNG here as I feel it is one of the jobs people relate to easily. The same logic could be applied to various other instances.

It's important to consider the versatility and functionality of the support job. SAM/RNG is most definitely a powerhouse, but at the expense of a few central elements. The main objective to consider is one of team play, regardless of an individual's job selection and or style.

Official matches were always chaotic; they do not account for skill based match-ups. In a more organized diorama setting, SAM/WAR is always used.
Vyi's easy to use diorama/hako guide.

Level 60+ equipment is level synced accordingly, for an addendum of individual equipment syncs, click here.

This is my current SAM/RNG setup:
ItemSet 314637
Not pictured augments:
- War Bow +1 - DMG +1, MND+1.
- Merman's gorget - Evasion +4, Darkness resistance +12.
- Pallas's Bracelets - Ranged accuracy +3.
- Victory ring +1 - Darkness resistance +9, Fire resistance +8.
- Behemoth mantle +1 - Ranged accuracy +3.
- Dex path Mikinaak cuisses(adds 2 dex).
- Abtal boots - Accuracy +2.

This is my current SAM/WAR setup:
ItemSet 314639
Not pictured augments:
- Couse +1 - Accuracy +4 MND +1
- Merman's gorget - Evasion +4, Darkness resistance +12.
- Byrnie +1 - DEX +4.
- Ochiudo's kote - STR +1.
- Victory ring +1 - Darkness resistance +9, Fire resistance +8.
- Victory ring +1 - Fire resistance +3.
- Behemoth mantle +1 - Accuracy +3.
- Swordbelt +1 - VIT +1.
- Dex path Mikinaak cuisses(adds 2 dex).
- Abtal boots - Accuracy +2.

In power, they are similar. In versatility, they are miles apart.
- Provoke, just as Cziella said, is great to have versus any self casting job (or any job really, it comes in handy in a lot of situations), not to mention another, if needed, rook guarding option.
- Lamian kaman +1, ideal rook guarding weapon, compared to the war bow +1; it's low delay allows it to interrupt a scoring attempt(and quarry attempt!) effortlessly; whereas it's simple to score(or quarry!) between shots if using a war bow +1.
- Defender is always welcome, not to mention berserk for obvious reasons. A skilled user can make good use of these tools, whereas SAM/RNG has lower defense by default.
- Equipment selection favors the SAM/WAR once again, it's simple to slap on a soboro along with some haste equip or max str, or turtle up with defensive equip/hp+ equip. I feel SAM/RNG is restricted to a ranged accuracy heavy set(unless you're using accuracy food, in which case the SAM/WAR is not restricted to this and can use all the rabbit pies he/she can eat).

Shiva.Cziella said: »
A lot of lvl 60 job/sj combos are pretty much dependent on the style of the person and not at full job's potential.
This statement is absolute.

In conclusion, no job really "trumps" another, as Ballista is an evolving battlefield based around rooks and petras. There is hardly a time where participants stand their ground and exchange blows in turn-based combat! It's important to be aware of a job's strength and weaknesses, but more importantly how they adapt within a team environment.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-22 08:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Streaming a diorama reservation, DRK/SAM PoV~
Clicky~
 Siren.Phelios
Server: Siren
user: Phelios
By Siren.Phelios 2013-10-27 09:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Thx for the nice read, I always played an in your face style when I did official ballista matches, I always was a heavy melee say SAM WAR DRK however like you said, since official matches back then were chaotic, specially in 3 rook matches taking the in your face approach wasn't very effective sometimes.

I always enjoyed small matches, play style changes, Temadian, Andreos and myself would team up and gang up any Petra GB holder, while letting others score for our team.

Oh the memories, btw thank you for the lvl sync link. and nice Merman against Drains!
[+]