Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Why Ballista?
Why Ballista?
 Fenrir.Ixn
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: unknown
By Fenrir.Ixn 2012-11-25 21:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

After having the same delicious taste of killing the same mob over and over again gets pretty boring, ballista becomes delicious enough to sink my teeth into.
Very nice change, now where's mah yellow hat and pants. And we need to mix it up!
Moogle monks only!
Yar.

Now where's mah dinner?
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-11-25 21:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mystina said: »
Fenrir.Deno said: »
When i play COD (i don't, i hate it) i don't expect a Mars bar to pop out of my PS3 every time i get a headshot... It's not about rewards, it's about having fun.

Yes, there is an unfortunate lack of people interested in the event, that's why threads like this are made, to try and increase awareness/interest.

I'm failing to understand why Ballista isn't "real PvP"? It's harder to play than most of the PvE in FFXI.

Because ballista caters to mainly caster or caster/meele hybrid being the most "optimal" specificly dark knight since they not only have spells such as drain/aspir 1 and 2 to constantly cast on your opponent untill they die while restoring there own but highest attack boost in job traits to melee, and rdm who has fast cast and stronger attack spells.

It is horribly unbalanced, in other words, it's only hard if you don't play those 2 jobs for it. so it's not a surprise if someone gets impressed by a rdm or drk winning alot because they are using the easiest jobs for ballista and winning.

so if you don't use rdm or drk it will definitely be "harder then PVE" because all the drk or rdm has to be is somewhat skilled knowing the basic job learning curve to mow down most people. rdm is a bit harder since it dosn't have a massive attack boost and strong weapon to back up on like drk however.

It's a joke. seriously. fun? that is all up to you. nothing wrong with enjoying it. but skill wise?, not even close.

You're a retard.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-11-26 13:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Morier said: »
Eh, tried to give this a serious read but lost me in the first couple of paragraphs. Devolves quickly into the rant of a 12 year old that just discovered bad words and hit puberty.
I thought the exact same thing lol. Although I did try to be fair and read more than just a couple paragraph. I'm a very patient person so I got about half way through before I gave up lol.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-11-26 19:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Phoenix.Morier said: »
Eh, tried to give this a serious read but lost me in the first couple of paragraphs. Devolves quickly into the rant of a 12 year old that just discovered bad words and hit puberty.
I thought the exact same thing lol. Although I did try to be fair and read more than just a couple paragraph. I'm a very patient person so I got about half way through before I gave up lol.

Whether your reasoning is directed at the tone of the post, or the context, I do appreciate someone taking the time to even glance at the thread. I value criticism if it's backed by proper reason.

I do realize that the tone of the post is quite abrasive. My decision for this writing style is to circumvent the monotony and appease to something we all might relate to; Humor. If you don't agree with the context, or rather, if you came into this thread thinking I will convince you as to "Why Ballista?"... I feel you were doomed to disagree with anything I wrote.

I open the post as such:
"Disclaimer: I realize that this may not apply to everyone, as FFXI has many things to offer.

I had a lot of fun writing this post; likewise, my wish is for you, as the reader, to have fun with it, as well, and hopefully be able to relate to it."

Thanks for stopping by, don't let the door hit you on your way out.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-11-26 19:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
My results if OP is still collecting them

Cheers~

Thanks for posting your results :D
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-11-26 19:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-11-26 19:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Urteil said: »

Thank you sir.
By deshi 2012-11-26 20:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

so much immersion! let's role play evv!
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-11-26 20:53:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I got like 10% on the Roleplay bar.
By deshi 2012-11-26 21:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

but you have /say macros in your spells :(
[+]
 Fenrir.Ayerro
user: Ayerro
By Fenrir.Ayerro 2012-11-26 21:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Urteil said: »
Cerberus.Mystina said: »
Fenrir.Deno said: »
When i play COD (i don't, i hate it) i don't expect a Mars bar to pop out of my PS3 every time i get a headshot... It's not about rewards, it's about having fun.

Yes, there is an unfortunate lack of people interested in the event, that's why threads like this are made, to try and increase awareness/interest.

I'm failing to understand why Ballista isn't "real PvP"? It's harder to play than most of the PvE in FFXI.

Because ballista caters to mainly caster or caster/meele hybrid being the most "optimal" specificly dark knight since they not only have spells such as drain/aspir 1 and 2 to constantly cast on your opponent untill they die while restoring there own but highest attack boost in job traits to melee, and rdm who has fast cast and stronger attack spells.

It is horribly unbalanced, in other words, it's only hard if you don't play those 2 jobs for it. so it's not a surprise if someone gets impressed by a rdm or drk winning alot because they are using the easiest jobs for ballista and winning.

so if you don't use rdm or drk it will definitely be "harder then PVE" because all the drk or rdm has to be is somewhat skilled knowing the basic job learning curve to mow down most people. rdm is a bit harder since it dosn't have a massive attack boost and strong weapon to back up on like drk however.

It's a joke. seriously. fun? that is all up to you. nothing wrong with enjoying it. but skill wise?, not even close.

You're a retard.

^ Summed up your analysis of ballista in one sentence. :< Sosad.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-12-02 06:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

deshi said: »

so much immersion! let's role play evv!

oO I didn't expect that lol.

Mithra night out, make it happen!
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-02 06:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You can clearly see why I don't pvp lol.

And here shows how much of a social person I am! Awesome. Teamwork is in the middle cause things that require a group are usually the most fun to do, but I hate being in a group.

I spend literally hours creating my characters..I like my game to be unique, I like exploring..not sure why RP is so high, I like roleplaying but not so much on a mmo.

I'm a horrible person.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-12-02 06:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »

You can clearly see why I don't pvp lol.

And here shows how much of a social person I am! Awesome. Teamwork is in the middle cause things that require a group are usually the most fun to do, but I hate being in a group.

I spend literally hours creating my characters..I like my game to be unique, I like exploring..not sure why RP is so high, I like roleplaying but not so much on a mmo.

I'm a horrible person.

Haha awesome!

Thanks for taking the time :)
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2012-12-02 06:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It'd be great of there were a dash stun move that would make melees more effective than relying on the old bait with melee bringing victims to range of casters. I believe this would level the playing field.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-12-02 08:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting.

I struggle to engage in PvP, mostly because I don't want to hurt others :x if that sounds strange I agree.

I just can't get into the thrill, and mostly get destroyed in the process very quickly. I'm only really able to with close friends, I guess I don't like all the trash talk that goes on during a pvp battle. I usually avoid almost all conflict, and prefer peace between each other.

I've been branching out as a gamer trying new things recently, that includes PvP. I still find it to be a struggle, and usually lose all motivation when someone sends me a you fail comment.

I'd love to be able to engage in battle with others, but it feels greatly against my nature, and I have to force myself to.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-12-02 09:04:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Interesting.

I struggle to engage in PvP, mostly because I don't want to hurt others :x if that sounds strange I agree.

I just can't get into the thrill, and mostly get destroyed in the process very quickly. I'm only really able to with close friends, I guess I don't like all the trash talk that goes on during a pvp battle. I usually avoid almost all conflict, and prefer peace between each other.

I've been branching out as a gamer trying new things recently, that includes PvP. I still find it to be a struggle, and usually lose all motivation when someone sends me a you fail comment.

I'd love to be able to engage in battle with others, but it feels greatly against my nature, and I have to force myself to.

Thanks for taking the time to visit the thread and do the test!

I agree with you, PvP is best done with close friends; or rather, individuals mature enough to be worthy of your presence as a person... i.e: you won't get silly tells like you mentioned lol.

Personally, I would not be playing Ballista if it was just mindless, obscene killing. The entire allure is the deep strategical aspect of the game introduced by petras and rooks.

Ballista, the team game, requires incredible synergy with your teammates; thus, it builds an incredible camaraderie, despite the obstacle.

Something like WHM might be more your style~ (only whm'esque vids I could find at the moment lol)

Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-12-02 18:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Evviva said: »
Something like WHM might be more your style~
I absolutely love WHM melee, and was even building a Mjollnir before I took a break.

I need more of a reason to play than that though, and it was impossible for me to find one. I'm hoping this new content gets me interested so I can finish my goal that I've had since I first learned about relics. If I was finally able to complete my Mjollnir... I still can't imagine it at this point.

I hope I find interest in the game again soon. *crosses fingers*
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [317 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-15 11:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Apologies for the necro bump! ('-'*)オヒサ♪
Instead of creating a new thread, I ciphered an epic bump would suffice :3

Thanks to a few ever-convincing friends, I am back on the Carbuncle Ballista scene. Disdain aside; I will be uploading any matches that I play.

This being an old thread, I encourage readers to visit the OP!

I realize Ballista is a niche event within the FFXI universe. If you do not agree with what I have to say, or the videos that I post, please remain civil and I shall remain eternally indebted :)

Most recently uploaded videos:
YouTube Video Placeholder

[+]
 Sylph.Heillon
Server: Sylph
user: Heillon
By Sylph.Heillon 2013-10-15 11:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I really love the idea of being in a ballista group, its a shame not many people play it on Sylph, I absolutely love it. The group I commonly did pvp with have mostly stopped playing/ left the server.If I were on Fenrir I'd join you guys in a heartbeat.

He's my assessment thing for the hell of it.

Well guess that explains why I don't like endgame shells. .-.
 Fenrir.Minibuddha
By Fenrir.Minibuddha 2013-10-15 14:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I am on Sylph looking for others to play. Then again also on Fenrir and no one plays there anymore. They all went to Carby lol.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-15 19:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Minibuddha said: »
I am on Sylph looking for others to play. Then again also on Fenrir and no one plays there anymore. They all went to Carby lol.

It's a shame :(

Today's diorama reservation. I encourage reading the comments briefly and viewing from the youtube watch page.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-16 07:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll be trying to live stream(if I can figure things out/get it to work!).

Clicky
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-16 07:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think stream should be operational(not live right this moment). Starting in 15mins or so~
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-16 08:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Live~
 Siren.Phelios
user: Phelios
By Siren.Phelios 2013-10-16 09:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Thx for posting the stream, it was nice to watch ballista, it's been a while since I played. I was moved to Siren long time ago when they had a great Ballista population nowadays I guess only Carbuncle left with Ballista community?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-16 09:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Phelios said: »
Thx for posting the stream, it was nice to watch ballista, it's been a while since I played. I was moved to Siren long time ago when they had a great Ballista population nowadays I guess only Carbuncle left with Ballista community?

Sadly, I think so :(

The influx of new players is non-existant, so the remaining players are trying to consolidate on one server.

(lol totally missed my starting line-up protect because I was typing this xD)
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2013-10-16 10:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll stream again in the future, thanks for watching~