Drk Gear?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Drk gear?
Drk gear?
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-11-14 15:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Fasaga said: »
Cerberus.Detzu said: »
Make an apoc, love it for the most important reason. It's fun!

Ragnarok is more useful for the higher end contents though (Legion, PW etc...)

Edit : Potentially, cause it actually always depends on the player who wields it.
Good you edit, because I can toss on a hoarfrost and double the parse % of at least 50% of the rag drks on our server.
such a sad sad truth...

bandwagon go
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-11-15 00:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I love bandwagoners.

They make me look so good.
[+]
By Voren 2012-11-15 01:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Urteil said: »
I love bandwagoners.

They make me look so good.

I've heard about some YouTube videos of you, I don't think you need any help from bandwagoners to look good, doing just fine on your own.

*** kissing aside, and I fully expect to catch some flack, but how about a Caladbolg(90)? Not too difficult to make, decent dmg, and with some proper gearing you could keep AM1 up almost constantly.

This would help to land more VwNM parties easier than an AH GS, and faster to make than a Rag, Apoc, or really any other Relic/Mythic out there.
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-11-15 01:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

OAT is also a solid choice.

Caladbolg is by no means "bad".
[+]
By Otomis 2012-11-15 01:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I use lv99 OAT, Still till this day prefer 99 Apoc though. Trying to stay of the bandwagon so I don't disappoint Urteil. lol (*^.^*)
By Voren 2012-11-15 01:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Something my LS mates and I have discussed leads us to believe that OAT GS is best for DRK/SAM due to being able to focus on STP gear while something with AM and/or a good crit rate would be best on DRK/WAR for DoT which allows you to focus more on multi-hit and haste gear.

I came up with a couple of gear sets for DRK, both are on my "Item Sets" and constructive criticism is welcome.

Edit: had to revise the gear set for DRK/SAM a bit to account for OAT GS instead of Caladbolg.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-11-15 06:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

ive had caladbolg since it was top gun for drk (85-90) so when i say "dont waste your time on that pos" dont think its just elitism, with that amount of effort youre way better off just making oat unless youre just dieing for ffxiah rank. id say oat is the best possible gs before borealis or ragnarok by miles, regardless of sub job (hell on the off chance you /dnc for something its probably better than ragnarok but thsts why we have apoc....)

all that said, call it play style but back when i used hoarfrost, there were no caladbolg drks that touched me when other people were parsing. the quick easy and surprisingly powerful option off ig-alima can and will hold you over till you can pull another option(rag, apoc, oat)

btw just so were clear, oat has nothing on ragnarok

edit: looked at your sam and war sets, confused a bit... is that /war build a personal dream set? cause youd do well to carry a few obvious pieces over lol
for the /sam set:
aces mail is better than ogiers by miles
get brutal in there
put aces feet in there
this allows you to add bale head
this also gives you 3 haste overflow and since im not home cant calchlate the needed stp, so ill assume your mathis right and say cant hurt to keep the belt

your war set tho...

btw i hope you dont /sam to voidwatch, it makes drk do such sad dmg, and /war would cover the acc i suggested to remove with aggressor or diabolic eye if aggressor is down, theres other obvious upgrades but youd need to look at the resolution builds thread for the reasons and info if you dont know it off hand
By Voren 2012-11-15 06:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I levelled DRK for fun, not one of my "main" jobs. I did the gear sets because I have a some down time at work and my LS mates don't.

More or less I was trying to come up with a couple of situational sets that cover a lot of needs. With /SAM I was covering a decent amount of STP while capping haste and placing in some ACC. I declined to use a lot of Dbl Atk and instead went for allowing the OAT to go through its proc, which on further inspection is probably not the best of ideas, but I'll let the DRKs debate that.

/WAR I went for more of a Dbl Atk set up, still capping haste, placing in some Crit Rate + gear, and worrying less about STP. More of a Legion/NNI zerg build or for instances where DoT is more important that WS spikes/skillchains.

These are also not WS sets, simply the build for normal melee.

The other public sets I have are what I'm working on. My main is WAR, so I'm constantly searching what's best to use, some things come from forum ideas, some from looking at stats, but ultimately it'll depend upon me using, testing, and applying all gear to how I play.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-11-15 06:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

i just read that as "i do what i want" dont ask if you dont want the answer lol

and theres nothing that you should be fighting /sam that needs the extra acc, and as far as the oat/da "debate" theres a nice thread posted by sylow somewhere about how it works

and having caladbolg aswell as shooting for oat makes "drk isnt my main" a mute point, besides if war is your main why dont you just skip the middle man and make ragnarok? only place ukon is better is in abyssea

edit: looked at your equipment history and i get it, just focus on one thing at a time... youve got a long way to go
By Voren 2012-11-15 07:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeromega said: »
i just read that as "i do what i want" dont ask if you dont want the answer lol

and theres nothing that you should be fighting /sam that needs the extra acc, and as far as the oat/da "debate" theres a nice thread posted by sylow somewhere about how it works

and having caladbolg aswell as shooting for oat makes "drk isnt my main" a mute point, besides if war is your main why dont you just skip the middle man and make ragnarok? only place ukon is better is in abyssea

edit: looked at yiur equipment history and i get it, just focus on one thing at a time... youve got a long way to go

I didn't mean to come off as "I'll do what I want" far from it, constructive criticism, such as what you gave, is always welcome and appreciated, I was stating why I made those sets to begin with, which was for LS mates to use to go off of for ideas is all.

I'd love to get a Ragnarok for WAR, but the needs of the whole of the LS come before the wants of any single one of us, so I'll be waiting for a while. Ragnarok looks to be awsome, 14% more crit rate and +40ACC would help with the B+ skill rating as well as with using Resolution considering it's a 5-hit WS. Hell, it may make me want to main DRK in Legion or Vw considering the amount of ATK DRKs get.

Edit: I neglected to mention in my original post above that I did the gear sets for LS mates and not myself, that may have been where some confusion was, sorry about that.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-15 07:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »
Make an apoc, love it for the most important reason. It's fun!
Ragnarok is more useful for the higher end contents though (Legion, PW etc...) Edit : Potentially, cause it actually always depends on the player who wields it.
Good you edit, because I can toss on a hoarfrost and double the parse % of at least 50% of the rag drks on our server.

Does that mean I can quadruple their parse? ;3
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-11-15 08:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

btw i hope you dont /sam to voidwatch, it makes drk do such sad dmg, and /war would cover the acc i suggested to remove with aggressor or diabolic eye if aggressor is down, theres other obvious upgrades but youd need to look at the resolution builds thread for the reasons and info if you dont know it off hand

Really?

At 95 cap /war was a must. At 99 I go /sam to everything.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-11-15 13:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »

Really?

maybe im overstating, but last i had gone /sam for a while, parses showed less dmg (somehow), went back to /war and very few if any other players seem to keep up.

granted i do every fight with 6/tic regain from coersion/drink, making stp near pointless, besides sekk, what more can be pulled from /sam in those generally zerg situations? i learned drk on sam sub, if theres something i can do to make it useful by all means do tell (legit interest)
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-11-15 13:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Really?

maybe im overstating, but last i had gone /sam for a while, parses showed less dmg (somehow), went back to /war and very few if any other players seem to keep up.

granted i do every fight with 6/tic regain from coersion/drink, making stp near pointless, besides sekk, what more can be pulled from /sam in those generally zerg situations? i learned drk on sam sub, if theres something i can do to make it useful by all means do tell (legit interest)

The catch is what is /WAR doing for you?

Its 10da vs Hasso/Sekka/stp/med
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-11-15 13:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually still \war in VW, basicly because in pickups you never know if you'll get atk buffs or not >_>
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-11-15 13:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

10 da is 1 extra hit every 2 ws rounds, not to mention 10 da that could proc in ws
/war grants 1-2 more base str
berserk/warcry to rotate with last resort to keep atk cap or near cap
aggressor to ensure capped acc which can rotate with diabolic eye

hasso grants you 7str now? so 5 difference compared to the /war base
its haste will cover you for 1:10 if a fight takes that long or youre unlucky on the timing of fights
meditate is awsome but that 10 da gives a more consistant tp gain over all (and wings are there if you really needed it)
i covered stp with 6/tic regain almost full time

id like to argue seigan but thats almost null with fanatics spam

maybe its just my play style but i see more benefit in /war with the temps and atmacites available, have there been situations where /sam seems best? or fights that its saved you (id assume seigan lol)
 Cerberus.Detzu
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-11-15 13:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

10da + 18-21 is a lot.
And berserk is still a good boost.

But, on the other hand /sam gives your more speed, and if you're human a lot of tp overflow.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-11-15 13:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

10 da is 1 extra hit every 2 ws rounds, not to mention 10 da that could proc in ws
/war grants 1-2 more base str
berserk/warcry to rotate with last resort to keep atk cap or near cap
aggressor to ensure capped acc which can rotate with diabolic eye

hasso grants you 7str now? so 5 difference compared to the /war base
its haste will cover you for 1:10 if a fight takes that long or youre unlucky on the timing of fights
meditate is awsome but that 10 da gives a more consistant tp gain over all (and wings are there if you really needed it)
i covered stp with 6/tic regain almost full time

id like to argue seigan but thats almost null with fanatics spam

maybe its just my play style but i see more benefit in /war with the temps and atmacites available, have there been situations where /sam seems best? or fights that its saved you (id assume seigan lol)

You can't argue zerk/agressor and then say Hasso is only up during a long fight.

Zerk/Agressor aren't doing anything better then Hasso for a longer fight.

Zerk is pointless on DRK, gogogo 3000 attack.
http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots/65632

On a mid/low tier mob its not needed and on a high tier mob you'll have ample buffs. (gotta support those Ukons)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-11-15 14:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
I usually still \war in VW, basicly because in pickups you never know if you'll get atk buffs or not >_>
^- this
on lower mobs you cap atk yes (btw with all buffs said and done i usually sit around 13-1500+ atk) making 10 da that much more benefitial

i usually dont get much overflow, no more than 120% at the high points...

and how much overflow does it take to really make that big a difference to the ws? in ws i usually have +75 tp from bonuses anyway

and on higher mobs where haste gets capped and buffs are maxed, wouldnt 10 da benefit more for average atks/round to increase ws rate? stacked on the potential (currently) 12/tic regain on say PW it just doesnt even out

edit: your right on hasso vs berserk, usefulness comes out probably more to hasso in a long fight, but berserk is really just a side note all things considered, what were really debating is 10da vs 5str from hasso (10 haste in long fights) and meditate vs just popping a wing... in short fights /sam just isnt there

reedit: for what its worth im also coming from the standpoint of ragnarok as opposed to apoc
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-15 14:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

11 bombcores still gets me every time
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-11-15 14:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe ill just give /sam another try and do my own parsing
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-11-15 15:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Wing pop = 2 sec delay so its never worth it while engaged.
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-11-15 16:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
11 bombcores still gets me every time

This is getting old...
By Voren 2012-11-15 23:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

11 bomb cores? I always assumed the effect didn't stack and would make that pointless. They're non-expendable, so.......who, why....fail?
By Solrain 2012-11-15 23:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's an old LS joke with Taint, something like that. You used to be able to throw them too, which I'm sure led up to the joke itself. I know a bunch of us threw a few back in the day.
By Voren 2012-11-16 00:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

That would suck considering they've costed 10-20k each, helluva way to spend a chunk of change. I camped the NM once, got it, never camping it again, I hate Uggalepeigh area. Any time a 99 can get hit for 1400+ from a grudge is no bueno, can't immagine the frustration back in the day.
By Solrain 2012-11-16 00:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, they used to go for like ~200k back then too and were the best thing you could put in that slot until Fire Bomblet came out. Good times throwing something like that and not even hitting the mob with it on top of it!
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2012-11-16 09:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You can't argue zerk/agressor and then say Hasso is only up during a long fight.

On a mid/low tier mob its not needed and on a high tier mob you'll have ample buffs. (gotta support those Ukons)
As much as I argue against needing to stack attack on Drk, this is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

1. Berserk is definitely going to matter unless you are buffed to all hell.
2. Hasso gives a few STR, that's it, Voidwatch mobs don't last long enough for LR to wear off making use of it's JA haste.
3. Cool
4. On a low tier mob it's going to be useful for almost any player out there, on a high tier mob it's going to be even more useful.

Quote:
I would easily make this trade any day, even without Berserk.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-11-16 11:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Quote:

As much as I argue against needing to stack attack on Drk, this is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

2. Hasso gives a few STR, that's it, Voidwatch mobs don't last long enough for LR to wear off making use of it's JA haste.
3. Cool
4. On a low tier mob it's going to be useful for almost any player out there, on a high tier mob it's going to be even more useful.

Quote:

Zerk matters on what mob? You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Either its a short fight and LR is always up making zerk useless. Or its a longer fight and Hasso > zerk, when LR is down. DRKs last 2 issues are att and acc. (especially with Relics)

The shorter the fight the more /sam is favored since WS frequency is greater.

If you are gaining from the att of zerk and acc of agressor /war is a better choice. Unfortunately those mobs don't exist in VW for DRK. Its not like you are going to be fighting the upper tier of VW mobs without decent buffs and most buff selections are going to be build around your Ukon WARs. (less ACC and ATT then a DRK)

I was the person preeching /war when Ig and Rex first came out. It was needed to capped hit rate at the time. As we learned more about their Def it was more apparent zerk wasn't doing much of anything.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2012-11-16 11:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Quote:

3. Cool

Quote:

Zerk matters on what mob? You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Either its a short fight and LR is always up making zerk useless. Or its a longer fight and Hasso > zerk, when LR is down. DRKs last 2 issues are att and acc. (especially with Relics)

The shorter the fight the more /sam is favored since WS frequency is greater.

If you are gaining from the att of zerk and acc of agressor /war is a better choice. Unfortunately those mobs don't exist in VW for DRK. Its not like you are going to be fighting the upper tier of VW mobs without decent buffs and most buff selections are going to be build around your Ukon WARs. (less ACC and ATT then a DRK)
LR being up doesn't make zerk useless at all. I agree Attack isn't all that important for Drk, but saying Berserk doesn't matter is beyond false.

You want examples:
On Qilin/Pil/Kaggen with Berserk+LR you should be riding around the cap, depending on buffs/debuffs.
On Alima/Rex/Any Tier 6 even with Berserk+LR you won't be capped.

If I remove Berserk from Drk I lose around 200 Attack, bringing me down to 1231 with LR+RCB+Chaos. Ig Alima has 675 Defense after Dia. That is not capped. In my WS set without berserk I have 1324 Attack, throw in the attack penalty and you aren't going to be capping either with that.

This all assumes you have 100% uptime on Dia, rolls buffs, ect. Not to mention that it assumes you use Chaos which I generally don't use on T4 VW.