2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » mandau upgrade info
mandau upgrade info
First Page 2
By terebro 2012-09-07 10:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got my mandau about a week ago, and I must say, I'm Alittle underwhelmed. I have 2 empys on other jobs, so that's all I have to compare it with personally. I know it gains more momentum as u level it more, but I'm trying to find info on the upgrades at each level aside from what's generally there. I believe the ODT of a 75 relic is about 5 % but I think it gets up to 12% at some point, just don't know when. I also know the weaponskill gets a boost in damage at 99 but I could have sworn it got an increase at another level too. I'm sure its in the forums somewhere but I haven't had any luck finding what I've been looking for. Any info would be greatly welcome.
 Ragnarok.Bleublood
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Bleublood
By Ragnarok.Bleublood 2012-09-07 10:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Mandau

That shows all the upgrades of mandau just click on a particular level and it will show you what happens at whatever upgrade you are interested in.
By terebro 2012-09-07 10:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I see the damage increase and proc rate goes up at 95. So I guess I don't really have a relic till 95. Thanks guys
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2012-09-07 10:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

ws damage (+25%) goes up at 90, triple damage proc rate goes up at 95 and another ws damage increase (+15% for a total of +40%) at 99.
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-09-07 10:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, 95 is where it's at. And I can't promise you won't always be underwhelmed by Mandau. I wish I had chosen differently, but it's always a good looking trophy at least.
By bigdave1978 2012-09-07 11:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

at 75 my mandua did about 1-2k mercy stroke now i can do 5-6k at level 95 and the crit spikes for 1k a hit helps a lot i love my dagger
By terebro 2012-09-07 11:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I was gonna make another relic but I may need to rethink this if the damage output is this far away from empys. But I believe ill be happier with a better ODT proc rate at 95.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-09-07 12:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

terebro said: »
I was gonna make another relic but I may need to rethink this if the damage output is this far away from empys. But I believe ill be happier with a better ODT proc rate at 95.
Mandau is a pretty awesome dagger. It's a big boost to white damage and Mercy is a great weaponskill. Exent is very competitive when attack is high but mercy with the level 99 bonus smokes it.

Basing your observations on the level 75 version doesn't make sense. Think of it like a level 80 empy.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Burkey
Server: Carbuncle
user: Burkey
By Carbuncle.Burkey 2012-09-07 12:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

if you have the time, make a twashtar as well. throw on some haste/march etc and watch yourself swing. you dont even need to ws.

my 95 mercy almost always beats my 90 rudras in abyssea, but sometimes i switch them up for fun. mercy>rudras outside and in voidwatch. ive been working on HMP so i havent farmed/bought marrows yet, but im looking forward for when i eventually get 99 mandau and see what ive been missing.

tl;dr - dont feel underwhelmed, just upgrade it and youll fall back in love when you first got it at 75 in zitah
[+]
 Cerberus.Elgato
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Elgato 2012-09-07 12:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with the other post that the real significance of a Mandau is when you include its auto-attack numbers. I was pretty underwhelmed myself until I ran a few parses.
 Bismarck.Scuzzelbutt
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Scuzzelbutt 2012-09-07 12:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been able to hit 7k on MS in Abys while stacked.
 Phoenix.Mogue
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2012-09-07 12:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ohh can this please turn into another HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE epeen spike damage screenshot thread?
[+]
 Leviathan.Celille
Server: Leviathan
user: Celille
By Leviathan.Celille 2012-09-07 13:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw this guy do a 7k Mercy Stroke. I guess it's pretty serious.
[+]
 Siren.Mcclane
Server: Siren
user: mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2012-09-07 13:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
Exent is very competitive when attack is high but mercy with the level 99 bonus smokes it.

Playing with Motenten's spreadsheet, I can't find gear/buffs/mobs that makes it so 99 unstacked Mercy will beat an Exent with the same 99 Mandau. It's close, but Exent always comes out ontop. Only thing I can think of is if the spreadsheets doesn't include the % damage increase on Mercy.
 Quetzalcoatl.Absolutezero
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Absolutezero 2012-09-07 13:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got my mandau to 95 yesterday, and I am loving it. It really is a fine weapon, just don't let the trials get you down.

And remember that the better your ws build is, the better results you will get so you can push your numbers higher that way too.
 Odin.Rikiyame
Server: Odin
user: Rikiyame
By Odin.Rikiyame 2012-09-07 15:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mcclane said: »
Exent is very competitive when attack is high but mercy with the level 99 bonus smokes it.

Playing with Motenten's spreadsheet, I can't find gear/buffs/mobs that makes it so 99 unstacked Mercy will beat an Exent with the same 99 Mandau. It's close, but Exent always comes out ontop. Only thing I can think of is if the spreadsheets doesn't include the % damage increase on Mercy.

I think you need to add the 40% in the set bonus line for WSDmg.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-09-07 17:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Last time I checked, yes, *unstacked*, I saw exent coming out ahead (by about 100 avg ws dmg) in what were pretty optimal gear sets at the time, but I was referring to stacked Mercy. I think those missed hit Mercy ws really hurt its unstacked average. You aren't seeing it beat stacked Mercy too, right?
 Siren.Mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2012-09-07 18:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh god no. Even with just 95, stacked >>>>>>. I just know ive seen people in the past say unstacked with 99 beats exent, just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing anything wrong
 Odin.Calipso
Server: Odin
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2012-09-07 19:06:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Well geared Mandau really is an incredible weapon. I'm always a little surprised when people say they're unimpressed with it. I go dyna on a daily basis as thf, and there really has never been a time I ever regretted making it. I still giggle a little the few times a run I ta both hits and do 5700-5800 dmg.

I recommend grabbing a spreadsheet and screwing around with and tweaking out your gear the best you can. (Or asking here if you can find someone who will actually help and not just argue for 10 pages).

Unstacked MS (at 99) dmg is pretty random. If I da or ta a hit, it'll be equal to exenterator (generally, exen damage on DC mobs varies from 2200-3200. Unstacked MS from 1400-3400), but those missed hits really really do hurt. I don't bother with unstacked MS unless I know it's going to close darkness, because I've found it's just too unreliable. Stacked MS (with Puginculus oh, again on dyna dc) will do 3300~ min and damage varying from 3300-5800 depending on how many times I multihit.
 Siren.Mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2012-09-07 19:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

With my current gear and whatnots, Puginculus gets beat by 99 str magian. All this according to the spreadsheet and whatnots.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-09-07 20:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

With my current gear and whatnots, Puginculus gets beat by 99 str magian. All this according to the spreadsheet and whatnots.
Should mention by how much and whether or not you're talking about ws damage only or total DPS. I only saw a 1% difference (total DPS) in either direction depending on buffs for Dyna DC with capped attack. Check again with RCB and def down tier 3 (ie, a couple box steps and acid bolts).
 Siren.Mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2012-09-07 20:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Total DPS and it was for all situations that I can remember that I tried out. Didn't do thf/war against dynamis mobs since I'd never be /war in dynamis for DCs.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-09-07 21:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Total DPS and it was for all situations that I can remember that I tried out. Didn't do thf/war against dynamis mobs since I'd never be /war in dynamis for DCs.
I didn't mean with /WAR. You can cap attack with the buffs I mentioned, though I don't personally use Acid Bolts so I need like 4 or 5 combined box steps with a partner or a mule for Dia II.
 Siren.Mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2012-09-07 21:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, so not very likely/practical. And now playing with gear sets I'm getting pug pulling ahead by ~10 total dps. I'm confused now. lol
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-09-07 21:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, but since it's basically even with slightly less than capped attack, I'd be psyched to use Pugi for the extremely entertaining fast swinging.. :) I miss the delay on my 'ol Blau/Sirocco combo!
 Bahamut.Gorion
Server: Bahamut
user: Gorion
By Bahamut.Gorion 2012-09-07 21:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

have done over 8k MS in abyssea with 95 mandau
 Bismarck.Stani
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Stani 2012-09-08 19:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The prospect of a worthwhile 150 delay dagger really makes you miss the TP floor.
[+]
By terebro 2012-09-17 10:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Update...... Got my mandau to 95 yesterday and thankfully its a much better weapon now. Much more like the weapon I had envisioned. It still seems to rarely ODT as often as one would think but that's to the naked eye. Now, does the extra 15% make a big difference in as damage or is it a waste of 75 mil? (In reference to the next upgrade to 99)
First Page 2