RDM Maat Fight
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-02 00:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Maryanne said:
I went 1/7 on RDM Maat. I tried it at 66 and finally ended up winning at 69. My problem was not being risky enough. I was too safe making sure he was far enough away from me and didn't take the chance to nuke. I don't know if that helps at all, but that was my vice.

Idk I went safe route no problem took like 8 min but yeah no 2hr no meds or food. Just pretty much my normal xp gear and 1 convert still had like 400mp left too. Kept him slepted and dispelled nuking at max range and taht was pretty much it. Other than not waking him during his 2hr
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-06-02 00:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

From what your saying I would think your buffing up yourself before you approach him.

If your doing that it's a big mistake. Two spells that will make the fight hard for you if they are on him are blink and shell.

Run up to him immediately and sleep him.
sleep I first then sleep II if that fails.

At this point throw a dispel on him. Put Stoneskin and blink up on yourself and get some distance between you.

Use Aero III and then use sleep I right away.

In the exchange he will have likely casted a tier II or Dot on you.

After you sleep him put blink right back up even if you've only lost one shadow.

You will likely be able to get another Aero III/sleep on him.

Use Aero III once more on him and sleep him.
Beware that it's this sleep that will likely resist so after you've done sleep I, and II bind him immediately and get some distance away.

Get your stoneskin back up and rush back to him and throw another Aero III followed by a sleep.

This will likely land. Now you need to go for the win. Get some distance away from him again. Chainspell, convert Cure IV yourself, Cure II youself, Stoneskin, blink, Aero III, Aero III, Aero III and Aero II.

That should get you the win.

Here's my latest attempt.
http://files.filefront.com/duelvsduel1avi/;13840492;/fileinfo.html
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-06-02 01:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I never played RDM until i tried to beat rdm maat for a friend. Took me 3 tries. The thing I was doing wrong was u have to have as much +int gear as possible. Enfeebling magic cap is a must. Spider torque is key too. Buff urslef, rest. Make sure u have a dark staff. Sleep II him. Then dispel him like crazy, Aero III, sleep. If u have int+35 or higher ur sleeps wont get resisted. Keep stoneskin and blink on. Just sleep II or sleep, bind. Aero III, repeat until hes about 50% Then 2hr Aero III and hes dead. Having macros is critical. Special Maat macros are helpful like:
/targetnpc
/ma "sleep ii" <t>
It's really not as hard as ppl make it out be if u do ur homework.
Dont forget to refresh urself and use convert when its the right time, meaning when hes alseep lol. GL
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-02 01:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Blink isnt that big of a deal really. And shell is easily dispelled. I took 0 dmg when I did mine. Partly cause of buffs but mostly cause hardly let him get close
 Bahamut.Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-06-02 01:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Blink isnt that big of a deal really. And shell is easily dispelled. I took 0 dmg when I did mine. Partly cause of buffs but mostly cause hardly let him get close

It'll make the fight more difficult if either is on.
 Unicorn.Shimay
Server: Unicorn
user: Shimay
By Unicorn.Shimay 2009-06-02 01:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

won my maat fight as mithra lvl 70 1/3 cap everything..not only enfeeble & element.. you need to cap dark too... its like 10 % of a sleep.. if you cant sleep it.. you know why.. when your dark isnt caped...go in..close where you can see what he buffs.. and buff yourself..then.. dispel him..(if needed).. and then.. its aero III sleep II and so on..if he 2 hour.. you 2 hour...Dark & Wind HQ staff helps and spider torgue too.. which helped me alot was going with my bf duo pudding on the montain..helped me alot to learn how to cast more faster >.>
 Quetzalcoatl.Diveine
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Diveine
By Quetzalcoatl.Diveine 2009-06-02 01:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

First of all good luck on ur next fight. Every fight is different, so best way I always recommend is to have a plan and think it over and over until you are sure you won't f/u. Elvaan RDM and failed my first attempt for the reason I wasn't too sure about when I was prepping for it, lack of mana pool. But here's a strategy that worked for me.

*Food = crimson jelly gives good int and mana, vampire juice x2 (they give both regen and refresh for 3 mins).
*Meds = Pro ether (this was key to my success in second attempt and win) Vile Elixir +1, Vile Elixir (ended not using this one).
*Macros = 1 and 2 was for regearing when entering, last one had a /item Yagudo drink there ;P.
*Step 1 run in hit macro's for regearing and sleep immediately, Diaga strips shadows AND sticks, so never a good idea. While ur sleeping watch for which spell he casts, set a blind macro button for stripping shadows if needed.
*Step 2 as soon as sleep sticks put all ur buffs up and use pro ether to regain all the mp needed you just used up. After that you should be all set to do your battle the way you planned it.
*Last but not least, you're gear is more than ok.

Forget Dispel, it's a waste of precious time, you're first A3 might not hit hard but will strip him of his buff if he was able to cast any.
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-06-02 03:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

How to kill maat in less than 2min:
Run in, cast stoneskin and blink.
Diaga Maat, dispel him if he casted other buffs than blink.
Chainspell nuke him with Aero3, recast stoneskin when it wears.
Use vile elixir +1 when low on mp, repeate the above.
Use vile elixir if needed, and reapeat the nuking once again.
He will go down during the 1min of chainspell. Remember mp-gear if you arent a taru!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-02 03:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Paulus said:
Dasva said:

It'll make the fight more difficult if either is on.

I can see blink especially if you dont prep for it... but shell unless you just dont remember to dispel it... but thats almost as bad as forgetting and not dispelling stoneskins too
 Odin.Gaea
Server: Odin
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-06-02 04:15:06
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, I was 66 Taru when I did it but I had sword skill leveled from BLU and PLD. I used melee method and did just fine. He only hits in the singles and teens when he finally breaks Stoneskin. He hit me with Asuran Fists twice, with Stoneskin down but those were only double digit damage.

Meleeing took some time, though. I thought I might run out of time. Use Dispel and enfeebles alot. Use Bio, but don't reapply when it wears. Chainspell should be coming soon. Keep up Phalanx. Eat Taco and use the highest Defense gear you can get.

When he hits Chainspell, just hit your own Chainspell and Sleep him with Sleep 1. Refresh all your buffs and all his Debuffs. Toss Sleep2 on top of it as you wait out his Chainspell and finish the buff/debuff process. Wake him up with your highest tier 3 spell and get back to smacking him around with Bio reapplied.

If you get him to around 35%, a single nuke should finish him off.

Remember you're a Red Mage, not a Black Mage.

Use Yagudo drinks instead of Refresh.

You shouldn't need potions, but it will make it easier than having to cast spells.

From what I hear, Joyeuse makes this method even more cake.

I've been meaning to make a video of this method just to stop red mages from being retards about this fight.
 Bahamut.Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-06-02 04:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting tatic. It's the first I've heard of someone doing that.
 Asura.Zekky
Server: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-02 05:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is a fun SS of my Maat fight on RDM. =d

User submitted image

4x Asuran Fist'd in a matter of 10 seconds. This SS was my 15th fight I think.
1/17 on that old ***... I hate elvaan mage fights. D=
 Asura.Kurtdcobain
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kurtdcobain 2009-06-02 05:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I went 1/3, my advice would be to take your time, he doesn't have that much HP and the time limit isn't anything to worry about. I used sleep nuking strategy and used 1 MP potion iirc. Just keep dispelling him if he gets to cast anything, and generally keep him slept. I used Chainspell, but got like 1 nuke off and probably could have won without it. I only took 130 damage throughout the entire fight, about 6 min 30

good luck!
 Odin.Gaea
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-06-02 06:28:39

You were likely running out of time. He does this in any fight, not just RDM. I've yet to time it, but remember this fight is 10 minutes and if you *** around a lot with sleeping him, the time will tick by.

At around the 9 minute mark, Maat rages. During this period he literally becomes something along the lines of MNK70/SAM70 with a Meditate that seems to grante about 100 TP per tic. No, you don't see him actually use that, but from my experience this could be the effect. I *almost* ran out of time twice on Maat during my Maat fights, one of those times on RDM. In both cases he raged and was granted this ridiculous TP regain. I believe SE intends for you to fail before you actually get timed out.

Kurtdcobain said:
I went 1/3, my advice would be to take your time, he doesn't have that much HP and the time limit isn't anything to worry about. I used sleep nuking strategy and used 1 MP potion iirc. Just keep dispelling him if he gets to cast anything, and generally keep him slept. I used Chainspell, but got like 1 nuke off and probably could have won without it. I only took 130 damage throughout the entire fight, about 6 min 30

good luck!

Time is a factor. Especially for those trying to be extra careful and sleep him each time before each and every nuke, and sleep the full duration of Chainspell on top of spending nearly 2 minutes of buffing before the fight and another minute debuffing Maat. Toss in all those recasts of Stoneskin, Phalanx, and Dispel, and you will see it dwindle quickly.

It adds up. This fight has a 10 minute limit. When time is close to out, Maat rages and spams Asuran Fists.

Maat is very winnable, of course, with a sleep/nuke strategy especially for those 70+. However, fighting Maat as a BLM, and not a RDM, can even get people that are 70-75 killed because of their extremely low defense.
 Cerberus.Arteus
Server: Cerberus
user: Arteus
By Cerberus.Arteus 2009-06-02 06:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

i went 1/1, taru are weapons and Kvazz, diaga is only available from whm sub :P
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-06-02 06:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Arteus said:

User submitted image

I went 1/2 @ lvl 70 as my first job (first was a dry run w/o 2hr or many meds)

I suggest Hi-Elixer (macroed), Cream buff for food, and yag drinks. Cap your elemental skill, Cap your enhancing skill (and make a good stoneskin setup)

Buff fast, Protect, shell, stoneskin, blink, phalanx.

Drink the yag drink
Run in Diaga his *** (to clear blink)
Dispel if you think he may have got shell up.
Pop CS
Aero III untill he eats through blink and stoneskin
Reapply stoneskin
Hit you hi-elixer
keep nuking
Depending on resists you should win around the time chainspell wears off.

User submitted image

If he decided to spam WS in your face there really isn't much you can do. :(
 Hades.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-06-02 07:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Arteus said:

lol.... you fail, sir!
Check the screenshot above
 Cerberus.Maryanne
user: Maryanne
By Cerberus.Maryanne 2009-06-02 07:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Kvazz said:
Arteus said:

lol.... you fail, sir!
Check the screenshot above

Diaga is level 15 RDM

Congrats Arge ^^
 Odin.Dreamriver
user:
By Odin.Dreamriver 2009-06-02 07:16:46

This is a link to a Red mage Maat fight on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKGfsgKgRS8
The 2 pitfalls to this fight are either your Sleep is resisted or back to back asuran fists. You can eradicate the sleep problem by just casting the initial sleep at the very start, he may have blink up already, sleep may still land anyway, it did for me only to start dispelling to find I got lucky with it. So anyway if you land 1 sleep that problems out of the way. Make sure you have the elixers like the one above post and in the video, I used mine when I needed the mp and he did asuran fists, total fluke 2 birds 1 stone. Have the elixers macroed is a essential part. I used NQ wind staff and went in on windsday for my fight. But anyway check out the video its got everything you need to win if you follow this strategy, the above posters offer great advice but actually seeing a video you can learn more from it I think, good luck
 Quetzalcoatl.Revrandlord
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Revrandlord 2009-06-02 07:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The best advice I can give in don't try at lvl 66 go in at lvl 70 or 69 the extra skill and reduction on level difference makes the fight a cake. Dark skill has no effect on sleep. although sleep is dark element it is entirely enfeebling skill.

went 1/1 no merits no hq staffs no skill torques and a gimp int build no meds
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-06-02 07:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never tried the RDM Maat fight but when he gets Asuran spammy, couldn't you just cast Bind and run? It's very quick to cast unless he begins to fully resist it?
 Ragnarok.Zakules
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zakules
By Ragnarok.Zakules 2009-06-04 09:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm... nice advices. I'm trying Maat soon and may do most of the things posted here. Although im 75 already so I guess it won't be too much of a hassle. Should've done the fight at 70 or so =-(
 Hades.Rieyuu
user: Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-06-08 01:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

lol he kicked my *** ; ; although since I posted this I havent tried,gonna try again tomorrow =)
 Shiva.Clowdd
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-06-08 01:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Arteus said:

Pics or it never happened.
ninja edit: diaga whm sub onry? please refer to my avatar for further 1337 posts.
 Siren.Bungle
Server: Siren
user: Bungle
By Siren.Bungle 2009-06-08 02:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bit old, but the tactics still there.

Can't really see all the gear changes either, was probably a bit noobish for the time.

Edit - Removed link, put vid in
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-06-08 02:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

i fought maat as RDM75 and just chainspell bliz III with all my nuke gear
it was fun just cuz so many rdm test drop in sky
 Odin.Gaea
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-06-08 04:02:01

Uh. I'd like to point out that records reset after maintenance. Just because everyone else on your server had already beaten Red Mage Maat, doesn't mean you are the record holder because they didn't bother fighting him again :/
 Remora.Bossmaru
Server: Remora
By Remora.Bossmaru 2009-06-08 04:16:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I've done RDM Maat as Taru and Galka, Taru was back in 2005 so I don't remember ANYTHING of that fight, cept it took me 7 tries to win and I was left standing with 58HP lol. I might be correct to assume I didn't have my magic skills capped, and RDM was my first 75 job. I probably know more now than I did back then, which may have helped lead me to my success of 1/1 on RDM Maat fight as a Galka.

Having capped elemental and enfeebling skill is a must, I would say? I believe it's what saved me, because I made a thousand mistakes when I did my Galka's RDM Maat fight. Find a friend to borrow HQ wind and dark staff from if you can, other than that, get your INT high as you can, have your macros set and make sure they all work, my aero3 macro didn't work;;

I did it on Darksday instead of Windsday for some reason, impatient I guess, but when I entered I immediately ran in and Sleep 2 him, it didn't land, so he got to rough me up a bit, but thankfully every single sleep after that landed 100%

I was a little nervous so I did forget some things, like I forgot to use convert, I used the viles I brought instead lol, could've saved some of that gil, maybe, but whatever it takes for the win.

Basically it was just sleep/nuke once I had the situation under control, when Chainspell is up nuke the crap out of him as usual and re-stoneskin/blink if you need it. And buy an Intelligence potion.

Best of luck to you, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. I think RDM is my favorite job.
 Hades.Rieyuu
user: Rieyuu
By Hades.Rieyuu 2009-06-08 22:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

haha gahhh I was one nuke away from winning today until he spammed face rape in mine -.- and sooo try number 3 here I come!!!
 Cerberus.Rayik
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2009-06-12 07:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gearing up for my Maat fight early. Fortunately, my other 75 is DRK, which I'm not doing a lot with at the moment. Soooo, luckily, Enfeeble is a DRK skill, so I am meriting out Enfeeble with DRK for my RDM, so when the Maat fight comes around I'll around have a slight advantage.