Link | Quote | Reply

1000hp street legal car
 Phoenix.Ragmar
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Ragmar
By Phoenix.Ragmar 2012-06-22 00:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Also the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for that stock integra are close to the firebird lol ... now slap it in a car that weighs significantly less. Now actually take that motor and build it from the ground up. What you get in the end is about 220 hp at the wheels. Side note rear wheel drives lose a significant amount of HP in the drivetrain where as front whell drives lose a much smaller amount. Take a 300 HP rear wheel drive for example, its going to loose in the area of 50-70 HP to the wheels vs a front wheel drive with 200 HP that will only lose 20-30 HP to the wheels. Now consider power to weight ratio as well as traction.
 Phoenix.Ragmar
By Phoenix.Ragmar 2012-06-22 00:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadowe Elrik said: »
Phoenix.Ragmar said: »
LOL

The 1997 Firehawk LT4 model, made by SLP Performance Parts and sold through Pontiac dealerships, had 330 hp (243 kW) and 340 ft·lbf (459 Nm) of torque.

Running from 1993-2002, the last Firebird generation continued the age-old tradition of performance and style above all else. Initially only a coupe body style was offered in base, Formula and Trans Am trims, the former coming with a 3.4-liter V6 (160 hp) and the latter pair with an "LT1" 5.7-liter V8 (275 hp). Transmission choices included a five-speed manual (V6), a six-speed manual (V8) and a four-speed automatic.

The following year saw the return of the Firebird convertible, while 1995 brought a 3.8-liter, 200-hp V6 for the base Firebird. For 1996, the V8 made 285 hp and Ram Air induction returned for that engine, boosting output to 305 hp.

A midcycle refresh took place for 1998 with a new front-end look and powerful new "LS-1" 5.7-liter V8s that made 305 hp or 320 hp (with Ram Air). Apart from minor trim differences and a bump in power to 310 hp for the V8 in 2001, the Firebird soldiered through 2002 mostly unchanged.

Yeah totally a 10 second car. GTFO lol.
Go to any local drag strip and see what the vast majority of cars in street class are.

TAs and Camaros with big blocks. Lots and lots of 9 sec cars.

Yes but none with only 3k into them. You're looking at corvette pricing to get a Trans AM or Camaro into the 10's. Pick up a Summit magazine and do some price checking. You're looking at 5-10k for the big block crates those guys are running which still wont put you into the 10's. But the point was you weren't running 10's smashing ricer's with 3k into your 300 hp Trans AM. You tried to talk tough like you were some drag strip bad *** lol.
 Phoenix.Ragmar
By Phoenix.Ragmar 2012-06-22 00:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Weakness said: »

While not a corvette, I used to love my 97 firebird formula. And my brother had a 97 trans am that I have driven. It is more or less a 'vette with a sexier body. I will flat out tell you, yes your ricer win in terms of cost, but get wrecked in the real racing world. The only thing that ever went toe to toe with me was an S200 I met, and even then he couldn't keep up. This is from a car I got for $3k and put maybe 3,500 worth of work into.

Nissan and Honda are the only two who even have any kind of pedigree. Mistubishi is a total joke, they have honestly never done anything outside of an evo, which is still a joke when you take it out of its comfort zone of other imports. Toss it against euros in the same price bracket and it gets whomped (mini cooper, cheaper porches, bmw), toss it against anything bigger and you will get the living ***kicked out of it.
 Shiva.Alikara
Server: Shiva
user: Alikara
By Shiva.Alikara 2012-06-22 00:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

This constant back and forth is starting to annoy me.

I drive a C5 'Vette, I've torn it apart, I've rebuilt it, all because I love it. I don't drive it like a maniac blowing ricers away every chance I get because that's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Funny thing is, I couldn't even begin to count how many 350z's, civics, tiburons have pulled along side me or dropped back just to do a ricer fly by, maybe they all have the same inadequacy issues as anyone who adamantly says their car is better than x car.

Even if given the opportunity at a track, I won't bother putting myself against a Subaru or an Evo because those are rally cars and I have a RWD sports/muscle car, the idea of a race between the two is stupid.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you have a car, and you love it, shut the hell up about it, and be humble; because your car sucks at a lot of things, meanwhile it's probably good at some things.

EDIT: Also don't knock someone else's car, it's poor form.
[+]
 Phoenix.Ragmar
By Phoenix.Ragmar 2012-06-22 00:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Alikara said: »

I drive a C5 'Vette, I've torn it apart, I've rebuilt it, all because I love it. I don't drive it like a maniac blowing ricers away every chance I get because that's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Funny thing is, I couldn't even begin to count how many 350z's, civics, tiburons have pulled along side me or dropped back just to do a ricer fly by, maybe they all have the same inadequacy issues as anyone who adamantly says their car is better than x car.

Even if given the opportunity at a track, I won't bother putting myself against a Subaru or an Evo because those are rally cars and I have a RWD sports/muscle car, the idea of a race between the two is stupid.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you have a car, and you love it, shut the hell up about it, and be humble; because your car sucks at a lot of things, meanwhile it's probably good at some things.

My only arguement in the entire thread is you can do more for less with a Honda than your traditional sports cars. I'd still trade my civic for your C5 anytime^^ I'd sell it and build two civics! J/K
 Phoenix.Brucie
user: Demon
By Phoenix.Brucie 2012-06-22 00:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Alikara said it right...what i know about cars 3k into old muscle car to run 10's...that possible for high to mid 11's..Weight will have a big impact on that time.Vs todays cars.. Rally cars/RWD/FF..all are differnt but guts are the same....anyhow thats my rant..work in am! later all....

PS: show her some love...give her a nice wax and bufffer her really good! and go for a cruize
 Valefor.Zolan
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Zolan 2012-06-22 06:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm with Alikara.

I drive a end of year 01' Zo6 as my daily driver with a vortex supercharger, borla exhaust, one off Foose rims, and too much little crap to name. I love my car if I won the lottery I would not buy a new car and no one will convince me otherwise (I would get those A/C Seats installed though!).
The Corvette is the ONLY supercar to not be charged with the gas guzzler tax. I have around 600hp with way bigger injectors then I had new and I still get 20+mpg and yet can bury the speedo at 200. I sit in traffic, drive in the city, cruise and it's a regular car. I get on it and it wakes up everything changes and we are off... I LOVE my car.

That being said if you love your evo or whatever ricer that has stole your heart, Love it, tell me about the car and why you love it. Do not sit here and try to tell me my car is crap that's just foolish and makes me think your as insecure with your choice of car as every POS Honda that has 80 hp and half a bumper trying to race me thinking they are Vin Diesel with something to prove.

I am 100% American muscle thru and thru, if you offer me a American Muscle car or a brand new Ricer that are somehow worth the same financially I would take the Bee/Roadrunner/Challenger/Charger/Camaro/Firebird/Gran National EVERYTIME It's what I like. It does not mean they are better or the ricers are garbage alot are very nice I enjoy riding in them and driving them when friends throw me the keys. (Edit: If someone wanted to give me a Nissan GT-R or a AWD 3000GT I wouldn't trade but man I would take it! I have always loved those cars)

Before I am informed about it, I am aware after the dial back they came in third (I believe it's third behind two beamers)

Edit: I only posted here after catching up on my LOLPIC fix getting pissed off at the comments and just got thru reading this thread lol. I get what you are saying regarding get a cheaper car and put money into it to outperform a stock Corvette/Highend Car. But MOST people that buy a supercar are not doing it to save money its for the love of it. Yea you throw a supercharger in yours you can hang with the vet? Great my vet has a charger to what else ya got? You have to realize at a certain point I'm sorry but you have to go super high end to keep up with the competition. No civic without having a hundred grand in it is going to take my car. I have raced Vipers, Lambos, Other corvettes, astons, and Lotus on road and drag You do not show up to that type of event with a "Value car"

P.S. Worst I ever got my *** kicked is close to a tie between a corvette with a stage 3 turbo driven by a guy with hand controls, and a old POS looking rambler wagon He sat quiet all night after I thought I won the night he asked to race and I thought it was a joke... Guy after said he is running over 45 pounds of boost but wouldn't tell us how much exactly...
 Fenrir.Weakness
Server: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2012-06-22 12:12:27
Link | Quote | Reply

With a bit of exaggeration I imagine. But there's a golden rule for american muscle. 20K to get under a 10s car with Ford and Chrysler, 10k for GM. For 3.5k, I can believe he got it into the high 11s.

The kid who owned it before me put a bit of work and got a lot of the minor things done for me before I bought it. New exhaust/intake/minor weight stripping/etc.

Also, when your uncle is a GM mechanic you can get things like performance cams for a lot cheaper.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
Server: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-06-22 12:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I own A 68 Firebird and a SS 69 camaro. I love American muscle and my family buys them cheap and rebuilds them and sometimes resells them. its a hobbie of ours that makes some good money. and i can tell you that it costs more than 3.5k to build an under 11sec car. that is reliable and wont die on you.

That being said i do love the old vettes, the stingrays. but we are talking about new vets. i personally dont like their style but thats a different matter. What i said is that you can build an evo up to a ZR-1 performance for cheaper and it will be more reliable.

now of course you can mod a zr-1. but that will add to the cost. evo will always be cheaper for the performance. but thats because your not buying the pretty paint and the brand. Thats all im saying. if you like vettes then fine buy one.

Also AM are good at quarter miles. but anything with distance and they will asplode xD but that being said evos can get into a nice 8-8.5 second quarter mile. would take alot for an AM to get that

Edit: also if it did cost me 100k it would still be the same price you paid for your vette but with 100k in that car you can get some crazy hp. 1000hp possibly. not sure on how much 1000hp would cost to be honest. 100k might do it
 Bismarck.Faelar
Server: Bismarck
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2012-06-22 12:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it weird that I'm a guy and I have absolutely no interest in cars, at all?

I can only identify like 4 types of cars, only because they're what my Dad and my friends drive.
 Asura.Elvaton
Server: Asura
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2012-06-22 12:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Faelar said: »

I can only identify like 4 types of cars, only because they're what my Dad and my friends drive.
get out
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-06-22 12:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Elvaton said: »
Bismarck.Faelar said: »

get out

xD
By Wenuden 2012-06-22 14:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadowe Elrik said: »
You keep talking small cars beating Vettes, keep in mind a stock Vettes curb weight is 4200lbs. The small cars you speak of are 2500-3200 lbs.

A stock Vette also has plenty enough more horsepower/torque to compensate for the added weight. You're looking at about a 1/10 power to weight ratio all around the cars.
 Bahamut.Zellc
Server: Bahamut
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2012-06-22 15:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

QFT! it all boils down to a matter of preference. the first racing game i played was my cousins grand turismo for the ps1. there i fell in love with the honda brand. namely the prelude. that was 11 years ago.

in hs i took automotive technology as my vocation and followed through with getting hired at a honda dealership. i got to work with and drive what i loved. point is, if you have a connection to any type of car, thats ok. if you are a ford guy, or anything, it wont matter how much money you throw at it. just as long as its fast and looks good.

[rant]im sooo tired of ricers and american muscle heads trying to race me. its so silly. i could honestly care less how fast your car is or you think it is.

my daily is a 5th gen civic dx hatch. nothing special at all. but everyone and their mom want to race me. and its not even my project car![/rant]

but i will say this, out of all the cars ive driven and been taken along with for the ride. the best ride ive had was in an n/a 5th gen civic hatch (much like mine) that had a h22a1 swap and the interior was completely torn out. guy i use to work with named Foy did the job. and that thing was a monster, tore down turbo gsr's, sti's, evo's in quarter and local circuit. just insane.
By Wenuden 2012-06-22 15:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Gutted cars are a blast on the street. So damn loud on the inside.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-06-22 15:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Wenuden said: »

Dude... idk about gutted imports but my brothers gutted 69 camaro "Tubby"... Ear sex. Man that thing set off car alarms just idling and if you were inside it... you could hear colors.
By Wenuden 2012-06-22 22:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
Wenuden said: »

Dude... idk about gutted imports but my brothers gutted 69 camaro "Tubby"... Ear sex. Man that thing set off car alarms just idling and if you were inside it... you could hear colors.

My gutted SRT-4 with hard poly bushings all the way around and a 3" dump about a foot and a half from the turbo pointed towards the passenger side floorboard made girls very happy around 4k in third when I threw another seat in. Nothing but vibrations and aural excitement.
 Shiva.Alikara
By Shiva.Alikara 2012-06-23 17:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been looking for a good winter/casual car. I was thinking something FWD or AWD. The Subaru Baja caught my eye because it's interesting, while the mpg isn't terrible (20/26). Anyone have any recommendations?
 Asura.Elvaton
Server: Asura
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2012-06-23 17:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been looking for a good winter/casual car. I was thinking something FWD or AWD. The Subaru Baja caught my eye because it's interesting, while the mpg isn't terrible (20/26). Anyone have any recommendations?
i wouldnt by anything new
 Phoenix.Brexx
user: Brexx
By Phoenix.Brexx 2012-06-23 18:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive been an auto-technician(most of us hate the term "mechanic" as it refers to backyard idiots) for almost 10 years now, and i personally wouldnt buy a subarau. the manufactuer requires you to buy 4 tires at once even if you only damage one, Four struts at once and many other stearing and suspension components to maintain their warranty. MOst other 4wd or Awd vehicles only require to replace these items as a pair "per axle". Only my personal opinion, but if i blow out 1 tire... i dont wannna go buy all 4. If money isnt a concern than go for it.
 Shiva.Alikara
By Shiva.Alikara 2012-06-23 20:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I don't care much for the warranty since I do the work myself, also I don't intend to buy new, so probably not gonna have a warranty anyway. And other than what you mentioned I hear parts for Subaru's are cheap and they're not hard to work on.
By Vivicide 2012-06-23 20:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I don't care much for the warranty since I do the work myself, also I don't intend to buy new, so probably not gonna have a warranty anyway. And other than what you mentioned I hear parts for Subaru's are cheap and they're not hard to work on.

That highly depends what you are doing and what type of Subaru it is.
Phoenix.Brexx said: »

Ive been an auto-technician(most of us hate the term "mechanic" as it refers to backyard idiots) for almost 10 years now, and i personally wouldnt buy a subarau. the manufactuer requires you to buy 4 tires at once even if you only damage one, Four struts at once and many other stearing and suspension components to maintain their warranty. MOst other 4wd or Awd vehicles only require to replace these items as a pair "per axle". Only my personal opinion, but if i blow out 1 tire... i dont wannna go buy all 4. If money isnt a concern than go for it.

They say to do that probably because it can cause tires to rotate at different speeds if the tire wear difference is pretty drastic. Always bet on the lowest common denominator, it's a safe bet.

I'm not saying this is the right thing to do but if the difference is severe enough it can prematurely wear the differential and cause your car to incorrectly assume there is a slipping scenario and activate ABS.
By Wenuden 2012-06-24 01:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Brexx said: »

You're a mechanic. Mostly because you're an idiot. Of course the manufacturer wants you to get X done as a package regardless of what you really need. That's to make you, the idiot mechanic, more money. Why do I say this harsh thing? Because you likely work for a dealership, with your "I'm a technician" ***.

The only people who are going to replace four tires because they damaged one are the same people who fork over $30+ for an oil change at the stealership. Dumb people. Smart people know they're going to have a vehicle past the warranty point, unless it's leased or they're rich and trade up to the "new model" every few years. If they have to replace a suspension part inside of the warranty period, smart people replace the damaged part, and warranty be damned. The ones who do what the manufacturer recommends pay your bills. You should love them.

All this being said, whoever was looking for a Baja should find one or three, have a competent non-biased (read not a scooby shop mechanic) person look them over, then buy the best you can reliably afford. Subarus are one of the most reliable vehicles you can buy, if you're just looking for a daily driver and aren't looking to mod it. This from a guy who has a Mopar M emblazoned on his chest forever.
By Wenuden 2012-06-24 01:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Vivicide said: »
I'm not saying this is the right thing to do but if the difference is severe enough it can prematurely wear the differential and cause your car to incorrectly assume there is a slipping scenario and activate ABS.

If one tire being replaced instead of all tires attached to ABS sensor equipped hubs causes this, then all of the tires should have been replaced. That has nothing to do with manufacturers recommendations, and everything to do with the vehicle owner not being dumb and paying attention to what they're driving on.

Like I said above, only saving grace for a dumb consumer is if they're leasing or are paid enough to be trading that car in on a new car before warranty is over.
By Wenuden 2012-06-24 01:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Depending on the model, Subarus can be annoying pains in the *** to work on. Engine work on some models just plain sucks. Suspension is as simple as any other car.

Some models just don't give you the room to replace one underhood part without removing 6-15 others. Not difficult, just annoying.