Evasion?
First Page 2
 Asura.Alymorel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Alimorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2012-06-06 12:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there an evasion cap for gear? I can't seem to find one listed anywhere and I've been told my current set is going a bit overboard. So, does anyone know what the cap is?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-06-06 12:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no "cap" for evasion as a stat. It's like Accuracy or Attack.

There is an 80% cap on your evade rate. So if you're evading 80% of the time and put on another 500 Evasion, you'll still be evading 80% of the time. That's what people mean when they say your evasion is capped. This is similar to saying your Accuracy is capped. What people actually mean is that your Hit Rate is capped against that what you're fighting.

That build is certainly quite evasive, but I wouldn't TP in it unless I had no other option because it is probably overkill.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-06 12:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Evasion is "capped" when

floor[ (EnemyAccuracy - YourEvasion)÷2 ] - 2×(Monster's Level - Your Level) >= 5

Every enemy will have a different value for accuracy, so there's no way to determine a "cap."

That said, you don't need all that evasion. Cap haste first, then add evasion in available slots.

Edit: Jesus christ, see my later post lol.
[+]
 Asura.Alymorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2012-06-06 12:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I have a TP build and a bajillion other sets, but if I can put something less wasteful in a slot, I would like to do so. I just want to make sure I will be evading as much as possible while in this set.
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-06-06 13:01:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Athos's Tabard would be better than SH+1 and have more utility.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-06 13:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Alymorel said: »
No, I have a TP build and a bajillion other sets, but if I can put something less wasteful in a slot, I would like to do so. I just want to make sure I will be evading as much as possible while in this set.

What exactly are you trying to evade? An asteroid?
[+]
By Kalima 2012-06-06 13:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Full evasion sets are really only good for two things: holding one or multiple mobs for procs or pulling (which you will probably want a mixture of -pdt and movement speed as well)

My general rule of thumb is: the slower you're killing something, the more chances it has to kill you. So sacrificing kill speed for evasion isnt the way to go. Even if your evasion isnt capped.
[+]
 Asura.Alymorel
By Asura.Alymorel 2012-06-06 13:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a feeling it was too much, and when I asked, I was told I was indeed going overboard. Especially with the events I do, I know that's too much, but I would like to keep a reasonable amount in comparison to what I am typically fighting (Dyna and Campaign mobs >.>). Any pieces or advice on what to put in? I already have a tp set and I don't plan to tp in this set, this is more so for oh ***tanking. :/
 Quetzalcoatl.Diasetsu
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Darkdias
By Quetzalcoatl.Diasetsu 2012-06-06 13:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Evasion is "capped" when

floor[ (EnemyAccuracy - YourEvasion)÷2 ] - 2×(Monster's Level - Your Level) >= 5

Every enemy will have a different value for accuracy, so there's no way to determine a "cap."

Wouldn't it be capped evasion when

75 + floor[ (EnemyAccuracy - YourEvasion)÷2 ] - 2×(Your Level - Monster's Level) ≤ 20?
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2012-06-06 13:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2012-06-06 13:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yay I'm being passively mentioned!

*Wanders off*
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-06 13:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Diasetsu said: »
Evasion is "capped" when

Wouldn't it be capped evasion when

75 + floor[ (EnemyAccuracy - YourEvasion)÷2 ] - 2×(Your Level - Monster's Level) ≤ 20?

Holy freaking crap I had my numbers put in all the wrong places when I was converting from player hit rate.

Yeah, you're right:

55 >= 2(Enemy Level - Your Level) - floor[(EnemyAcc-YourEvasion)/2]
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-06-06 13:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Phasmida Belt, Ocelot Trousers, and Athos's Boots can all be thrown in to provide haste and evasion.
[+]
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-06-06 14:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a feeling it was too much, and when I asked, I was told I was indeed going overboard. Especially with the events I do, I know that's too much, but I would like to keep a reasonable amount in comparison to what I am typically fighting (Dyna and Campaign mobs >.>). Any pieces or advice on what to put in? I already have a tp set and I don't plan to tp in this set, this is more so for oh ***tanking. :/
I've parsed on Dyna DC a bunch of times now (Valkurm) and my evasion is consistently 75%+ in normal DD TP gear with no evasion gear on. Wearing all that evasion is way overkill in this context and you could probably get away with only using Boxer's Mantle. My "defense" build for dyna is PDT and Boxer's.

Edit: Actually, I use Mollusca Mantle and Fugacity Beret in that defense set, oops..
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2012-06-06 14:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

O wow thanks Sylow, I haven't laughed that hard in a while

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-06 14:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ocelomeh+1 (hat) is also great for hybrid evasion builds.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [195 days between previous and next post]

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-18 17:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Alymorel, bare in mind that while there's really no cap to evasion from gear
Typo? Not sure you said what you meant here.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-12-20 07:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

What is the cap on Evasion Skill and where is the proof?

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-20 10:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-12-20 10:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, but there's not actually a cap on Evasion Skill because (barring floored monster hit rate), adding additional Evasion Skill (through merits or equipment) continues to decrease monster hit rate. This is true of all of the other evasion-related stats as well.

Also, there's no evidence that stacking evasion skill helps you skill up evasion. Even if there was, Evasion is so trivially easy to skill up these days that it doesn't really matter.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-12-20 11:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

1 Evasion Skill = 1 Evasion below 200 skill
1 Evasion Skill = 0.9 evasion above 200 skill (proven at 255+, so could be anything below 255. Assuming 200 is the boundary similar to Acc)
This is a decrease of 10%, not halved. The reason people don't stack Evasion skill (typically) is because there aren't very many sources of it and the quantity on those sources isn't competitive with other forms of Evasion in the same slot.

2 AGI = 1 Evasion
1 Evasion = 1 Evasion

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Evasion

Shield, Parrying, and Guard Skill were useful for skilling up because you could only skill up on a proc and raising your skill through gear increased your proc rate (thus skillup rate). You have always been able to skill up evasion whether you are hit or not, so I see no reason to believe that additional skill would help you skill up. Also, now they've adjusted Parrying and Guard so that you can skill up on non-procs, so skill might not help those skill up anymore either.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-20 23:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you're fighting mobs that have a floored hit rate, then you should be wearing some kind of DT/absorb/nullification where you can afford it.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-12-21 08:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not true either. Damage calculations are floored.

* If you would have been hit for 28 damage but are wearing 1% PDT, you take 27 damage.
* If you would have been hit for 200 damage but ear wearing 1% PDT, you take 198 damage (well, 197 or 198 depending if your "1%" is 2/256 or 3/256).
First Page 2