New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 445 446 447
By Nariont 2024-03-07 12:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Engelier said: »
My Nyame goes up to rank 20 but looking at a bg wiki guide and posts it shows using the Empy +3 head over the Nyame head for Expiacion but I lose that skillchain bonus.

Bumping up the ws dmg bumps the sc dmg, you need alooot of sc dmg to beat out additional wsd unless its a longer sc

Also more importantly somewhat, giving up all that sword skill sucks, its a very heavy acc/atk piece even before the wsd
 Asura.Engelier
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Apaldri
By Asura.Engelier 2024-03-07 13:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the replies.

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
While Beithir Ring makes somewhat sense, I don't understand why you would tank your WS damage in the pursuit of higher SC damage. It seems self defeating. I minor swap like Empy head to Nyame makes sense. but dropping WS stats for Warder's makes absolutely none to me.

I just wasn't sure if the JSE neck +2 would beat all that skillchain damage from the warder's charm when performing a skillchain thats all. Came to 39% skillchain dmg with 4/5 nyame and the epmy +3 head with paralyzing triad so the warders would fill the rest but obviously I am wrong and I should stick with the JSE neck +2.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-07 13:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

As others have said, adding SCB is rarely worth is because SC damage is also based on the damage you do with your WS, so removing stats which would improve your WS damage will consequently reduce your SC damage as well, so WSD kind of multiplies itself.

In addition to this, unless you're making multiple macros/equipsets/a toggle in your lua, you are reducing your WSD on multiple WS to gain SC damage on one WS.
By Nariont 2024-03-07 13:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

For blu in particular theres also not a whole lot of good multisteps, bar prime or using spells which they themselves arent usually worth it apart from a quick spike to finish a mob
By drakefs 2024-03-08 09:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
For blu in particular theres also not a whole lot of good multisteps, bar prime or using spells which they themselves arent usually worth it apart from a quick spike to finish a mob

I know for ML grinding popping a Req -> Expiac is more damage than Expiac spam. I really want to get my Caliburnus to stage 4 but my Sortie farming has burnt me out a bit. Sometimes Chant -> Chant can beat out Expiac spam but I have never seen it do so by that much.

I really wish SE had it in them to "fix" BLU spell usage so that it wasn't always a DPS loss.
By Nariont 2024-03-08 09:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Much like bst ready moves, theyre locked into subpar tier when it comes to phys dmg compared to just keep swinging and doing a ws, sucks but where its likely staying. Least ready moves dont consume tp if you dont weapon swap so they still work as a great sc bridge when applicable.
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2024-03-08 10:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Master JP or ML should have given BLU a new ability to have a stance where all physical BLU spells are chain affinity-able.
By SimonSes 2024-03-08 10:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lunafreya said: »
Master JP or ML should have given BLU a new ability to have a stance where all physical BLU spells are chain affinity-able.

It would be enough if they would change BA and CA into charges mechanic, with let's say one charge on 30 sec cool down, stackable to 5.
[+]
By Nariont 2024-03-08 11:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Charges were more my inclination as well, since it should be easy to apply like how ready/qd moved to charge systems. Could see blu stances as how your spell loadout ends up; can be heavy magic, melee, tank etc. Charges allow quick flexibility, might even make that path C more desireable(maybe, probably not)
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-03-08 12:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Asura.Lunafreya said: »

It would be enough if they would change BA and CA into charges mechanic, with let's say one charge on 30 sec cool down, stackable to 5.

even then I am not wasting time casting a spell for 5 to 10k when you can hammer out a ws in a similar time for 60K
By SimonSes 2024-03-08 12:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Drakelth said: »
even then I am not wasting time casting a spell for 5 to 10k when you can hammer out a ws in a similar time for 60K

Physical would be more for utility then, when you really need specific SC. BA spells can magic burst for 99k though, so I can easily see them being cast for damage.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-08 12:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It's pretty criminal that they locked path C benefits to main hand for BLU, among other jobs.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-03-08 13:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

Physical would be more for utility then, when you really need specific SC. BA spells can magic burst for 99k though, so I can easily see them being cast for damage.

my issue with Bursting blue magic is when is it actually practical on new content? not like you're repping blm on ongo or mana sortie runs. it takes a minute to change from a physical dd spec to a magical one as well. I would rather additional utility on the JAs, Chain could add a ton of macc for landing additional effects or potency to them, BA should increase buff duration.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-08 13:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
It's pretty criminal that they locked path C benefits to main hand for BLU, among other jobs.

I mean, it would be insanely busted to dual wield some of those augments though. Dual-wield Crocea would be pretty strong.

I guess they could've also made them not stack with themselves but...same thing applies. Crocea with a more powerful MH, Gandring path C with a REMA mainhand. Path A/B would be obscenely strong offhands.

I don't think there's any world in which you can allow the augments (as they exist today) in offhand.
By SimonSes 2024-03-08 13:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

my issue with Bursting blue magic is when is it actually practical on new content? not like you're repping blm on ongo or mana sortie runs. it takes a minute to change from a physical dd spec to a magical one as well. I would rather additional utility on the JAs, Chain could add a ton of macc for landing additional effects or potency to them, BA should increase buff duration.

You don't need magic setup at all. Just mab trait I and 1-2 nukes fitting the situation and one could be Tenebral Crash you usually equip anyway. None really tried to build mixed sets, because BA doesn't work like that, so I can't really say when it could work, but I'm pretty sure it would be very nice for solo and Prime Sword would have more sense then too. Let's also not forget BA is also used to simply boost damage of spells and that's very useful in all AOE scenarios.
[+]
By Nariont 2024-03-08 15:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Spells still largely need a damage nudge to match the massive power creep but having a t1/t2 sc bridge in the pocket would be nice considering sword sc options are largely ***, clubs not much better.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2024-03-08 17:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anybody know if Tourbillion overwrites the def down from Tenebral Crush, or if you have to wait for it to wear before you can land it?
By Nsane 2024-03-08 22:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it will overwrite Tenebral, but Tenebral wont overwrite Tourbillion.
 Valefor.Aspens
Server: Valefor
user: Aspens
By Valefor.Aspens 2024-03-10 16:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I did some testing a few months back now which showed some interesting results, basically there is some defense down priority that is not just based on highest potency

tenebral crush overwrites ageha,
tenebral cannot be overwritten by ageha,
tenebral cannot be overwritten by itself (cant be refreshed until drop)
but armor break/ageha can overwrite themselves/each other (last one used replaces previous)

I will have to go back out to locus camp and see how tourbillion interacts
[+]
 Asura.Bronzequadav
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bronzequadav 2024-03-10 20:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Does the group1 merit Magic Accuracy increase the magic acc of physical additional effect spells or just magical spells?
 Valefor.Aspens
Server: Valefor
user: Aspens
By Valefor.Aspens 2024-03-10 20:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Aspens said: »
I will have to go back out to locus camp and see how tourbillion interacts

tested tourbillion against tenebral crush and it behaves more like the attack down WS

tourbillion does not overwrite tenebral,
tenebral overwrites tourbillion
however, doesn't look like tourbillion overwrites itself (can't reset timer until it drops)

tested overwrite with two chars, tested reapplication with same char
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-03-10 21:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Nsane said: »
Yes it will overwrite Tenebral, but Tenebral wont overwrite Tourbillion.

You clearly shouldn't post your assumptions as facts.
By Nariont 2024-03-10 21:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bronzequadav said: »
Does the group1 merit Magic Accuracy increase the magic acc of physical additional effect spells or just magical spells?

Far as i understood it its just plain macc on blu spells in general, so both phys add effects and magic get the boost
 Asura.Engelier
user: Apaldri
By Asura.Engelier 2024-03-15 14:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey. Looked back some pages for bursting sets but only found one that was pre Empy+3 using +2 instead so wanted to be sure these sets were what I am looking for BiS without weapon swaps. Switching in Hachirin when best ofcourse. Thanks.

ItemSet 395142

ItemSet 395143
By SimonSes 2024-03-15 15:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on the weapons. If you care about Magic Burst it means you should be wearing Maxentius/Bunzi, which means you will be at 34%MBB minimum (38% at 3step and 40%cap at 4step) without neck and legs, so I would simply wear 4/5 empy+3 with Amalric gloves and +2 neck. Samnuha has 19 less mab and 25 less INT and slight or big loss in other stats too. I doubt MBBII+8% will push it enough to justify the loss in macc, assuming it will even actually win for damage, because Im not so sure.
By jubes 2024-03-15 22:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

almace offhand options are zantetsuken and tanmogayi +1, anything else i'm forgetting?
By Nariont 2024-03-16 05:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Augmented colada
By Shichishito 2024-03-16 05:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Almace is pretty niche right now and if you go for it it's probably for ACC starved situations. A augmented tanmogayi +1 is afaik one of if not the best ACC off hand for BLU so it's pretty much your go to if you main hand Almace.

Maybe a crit build would also justify picking almace but then you'd end up with tanmo off hand again.

If you for some reason don't need the extra ACC and still main hand Almace you could consider multi attack options like Blurred sword +1 to offset the lack of multi hit or if ACC is no issue at all maybe even none ilvl weapons like khadga?

What use case are you aiming for? Trying to solo dhartok?
By jubes 2024-03-16 08:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

nothing specific planned, just had thibron strapped to offhand for so long i forgot what else was available.
By Nariont 2024-03-16 10:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If its just general OH swords then you got;
Zantetsuken
Sakpata's
R15 tanmoyagi
Raetic(massive mp drain though)
Colada(can put da, stp or crit on it, but its not as good as the above bar some DM aug shennagins)
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 445 446 447