Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-04-02 18:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Wondering why I didn't remember that staff, turns out it's 1 letter off from the Campaign GoT staff...

With that can cap and you could add Engulfer Cape/Shadow ring to MDT set, space permitting.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-04-02 18:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Subligar doesn't take any more dedication than Dark Rings imo, but they are outdated by Nares legs (except for Blu etc.).

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Meowza 2012-04-03 01:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

if you make a hybrid you aren't able to utilize some key pieces in certain slots. engulfer/shadow mantle. Rings. MDB in the form of MDB and int/mnd in other places. Sword and shield also provide utility of shield proc, while staff doesn't (although 2h has higher parrying).

I've never been a fan of this new wave of hybrid/turtle builds. If you dont suck and know the mob, you should know which one to swap to. A simple alt1 or 2.

Edit: Don't have time right now but this is what I'm currently looking at for mdt. Empty slots are pending depending on the gear changes I'll be making soon here. My personal dark ring is 4%. I'm aiming for 26% mdt since shell gives slightly more than 24%

Pdt is usually more straight forward
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-04-03 06:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

ShellV is ~24.1%, with Sheltered Ring it's an additional +2%, roughly. With that set, you could drop Vallus and use Slipor.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-04-03 10:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm only using it until I get oneiros grip.

That said I got Shikargar done faster than grip partially from being lazy and partially from lack of help/effort.
By Meowza 2012-04-03 20:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't pointed towards people being ignorant simply because I know whoever is looking on ffxiah is a step above the common fulltime 1 set crowd.

Inventory is exactly the issue I'm addressing. I'm not saying you personally play like this but others, like Kin37ix, would prefer to have a hybrid build since they rather not think whether its pdt/mdt. I disagree thinking that you should have two separate sets.

You are pointing more towards other hybrid builds like the one you mentioned about cure potency/mnd.

But it's funny you think I'm saying shield > all and that we can be ochain and block the world! No, it's all marginal gains, that's all this game has ever been about, that marginal gain, F skill or not, will provide more defense no matter what. No matter how you spin it 1 is greater than 0.

Also ideally I would take a sword + shield + earth acc staff over terra staff. The shield can be used in conjunction with cure potency set for the more "ideal" set (why people are talking about precasting for cure in one set really shocks me in such fast spells even with the slower cure IV. It should all be built in one with maybe a smaller fast cast set if you MUST). And the earth acc staff will provide a higher acc for what terra staff is rally used for, slow II. You are maximizing across the board with +2 inventory slots.

You have to sacrifice in some areas to gain in others with rdm.

tldr; hybrid all you want, I do too. But separate mdt and pdt sets. There is zero reason outside of laziness is the point I'm ultimately making
By Meowza 2012-04-03 20:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Neisan while you are right, it's hard justifying a gear slot for +3mdb. I personally don't use a sheltered ring right now so dropping vallus and adding 2 isn't ideal in my circumstance.

(I prefer dark ring + pag ring combo over sheltered + pag in idle)
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-04-04 06:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I went with Dark/Sheltered in Idle for Rdm/Blu/Whm and use Dark/Sheltered on War/Sam if HP above 90%, Pagu/Sheltered if HP below that.

EDIT: I use Light damage staff for precast as it also doubles for Whm.

Post deleted by User.
By Meowza 2012-04-06 20:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry was away, you are assuming I'm referring to using a sword and shield as an idle build, which I'm most certainly not nor have I ever stated that I was. I've been talking about pdt and mdt builds this whole time. Use an oneiros grip when in idle, sword and shield when in pdt.

Also if you are in a party situation then rarely will you use a pdt set as stated because you shouldn't be pulling hate to begin with aka doing it wrong. But I forgot that rdm also is used for low man or solo purposes...yeah you will have hate when you are solo ;)

Quote:
Terra's Staff, at this point in the game, shouldn't be used for enfeebling anyways, which returns to the subject of Shikargar/Genbu's versus Terra's/Oneiros, and I've stated my opinion on that.

So you yourself are saying that you shouldn't be using Terra's Staff for enfeeble, and I'm saying that I would use sword/shield only for pdt set NOT idle. Making terra useful for....?

Quote:
Terra's Staff's niche no longer falls within enfeebling if you are gearing properly. Not only are you stating the obvious by saying that T.o.M. Staff > Terra's for enfeebling, but you seem to be overlooking the greatest strengths of the Terra's Staff, which are its physical damage mitigation properties.

Proving my point again? When Terra loses its ability to be used in pdt set I mean...
Quote:
Which has been said, but some areas are more justified than others (sacrificing M.A.B. when you aren't expecting to nuke for Cure Potency, for instance, is justified; sacrificing Refresh for a paper-thin safeguard that is Red Mage Shield Skill is beyond the pale of ignorance).

I agree, a maxed out blind enfeebling set probably pales in comparison to a maxed out nuking set. Nowhere did I say that you had to sacrifice refresh for shield skill though, you assumed ;)

Quote:
Circular logic.

It's not... do you use the same set to tp and ws on DD jobs? No, obviously. I'm suggesting to split a set where it would make logical sense, the same sense that would go into seperating a ws and tp set. There is ZERO reason to use a PDT/MDT or a WS/TP set at the same time is the point.
By Meowza 2012-04-06 21:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Is my aim considering defending ring a little out of reach. I'll have to double check but I don't think any new pdt gear was introduced to rdm last patch.

That is exactly 50% with 6% rings and 11% pdt sword

Staff loses 1% pdt meaning you'll have to make it up with darksteel feet or earring. Meaning +1 gear slot. I know some say well +1 gear slot to genbu's shield but I use for wand/club build.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-04-07 00:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Wiglen is +1 inventory for me, so there's no difference.

EDIT: Staff can take up the same amount of slots and have -49% PDT with Shadow Mantle, there's nothing really wrong with that.
By Meowza 2012-04-07 03:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Wiglen = +3 regen
Pag ring = +2 regen
sheltered = +1 regen
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-04-07 08:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

+MDT has personally gotten me killed more times than lack of regen. Autoregen is nice but is not high priority, and will get removed if inventory concerns come into play. I own all 3 and Rdm only keeps 1 due to lack of space.

Post deleted by User.
By Meowza 2012-04-07 12:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
My point is that you don't need to make a separate P.D.T. build from your Idle... no where did I state that there was a difference in my sets, and for good reason: you can cap P.D.T. and incorporate a great deal of Auto.-Regen/Refresh in the same set; why would you sacrifice any of that, again, on a Mage job, for meager gains in defense within the capacity of an F Rate in Shield Skill coupled with Buckler-Class Damage-Mitigation.

You are assuming that I wear NO pdt/mdt gear in idle set which again is completely untrue. Of course I know what an Idle build entails. It should be refresh > pdt > mdt for the most part. Also as I mentioned in my other post, of course I know shield skill is pathetic and will return VERY little returns. But those little returns are MORE than no returns.

Quote:
Because party situations are ever relevant examples of job flexibility and gear set capability? Splitting hairs. Obviously you will have hate when you solo, and the same rules apply to a low-man situation as they do a full alliance: if you get hate, return it to the point of fighting origin - your shield is useless when your back is to the monster.

This doesn't make sense, I dont think I'm disagreeing with you on this point so why you are arguing against is confusing me.

Quote:
Again, you're splitting hairs... why have a separate build of Idle and P.D.T., when you can cap P.D.T. in 7/16 Gear Slots; reserve the additional spaces for Auto.-Refresh and Auto.-Regen - you as an advocate of inventory conservation should be well aware of the invalidity of trying to tote gear that is tertiary to the application of your job's proper functions.

Again, idle in refresh>pdt>mdt gear but when you know you are going to be hit etc then you should make the swap to full on pdt gear. It baffles me how this is a hard concept to you. You are losing NO INVENTORY by making a macro. You simply lose 1 macro spot. If you can't justify having and idle AND a pdt macro then all hope is lost (plus I use spellcast so idle macro doesn't matter)
Quote:
Terra's Staff has not lost its purpose in Idle/P.D.T./whatever you want to label it; taking an extra tic of Regen/Refresh on a Mage job, over a meager block rate with horrid damage mitigation, should not even be discussed - I'm failing to see your point, as you seem to preach inventory preservation, but then try to justify the advocacy of having a P.D.T. and an Idle Set (which can cap P.D.T. with relative ease), on a Mage job with horrible itemization congestion.

You do not lose inventory spaces by separating the two sets. You simply lose the 20% pdt when you are in idle (aka NOT GETTING HIT) and in situations where the monster does turn to you and you need to switch to pdt gear, you will only miss out on a few ticks of that 1 refresh (which only activates below 76% mp anyways) meaning nothing much is really lost in the grand scheme of things. You are NOT ADDING INVENTORY BY CREATING A PDT BUILD. I dont know how I can be anymore direct.

Quote:
"Conserve inventory spaces, but separate your capped P.D.T. Idle Set into a standard P.D.T. Set."

So your logic has gone from circular to completely distorted.

Also, regarding the discrepancies for equal terms of comparison between Mage job Idle/P.D.T. and Melee job T.P./W.S. is completely moronic.

So you're saying that since I believe you should create an actual pdt set separate from your idle pdt set that my views are completely distorted. Do you hate when people think differently from you or something? Even if you can't agree with me, that is completely sad that you can't even process the logic of the utility you gain by separating the two sets and then completely downplay by saying the person's views are "distorted". Just say you see my validity but prefer to play a different way.

Look at Neisan. Due to his job selection and his sets, he carries around a different set of gear than I do. That's completely justified and I can't argue against it because each person's case is unique. I'm simply arguing the point of why can't you make separate builds for their intended purposes (which is what we do with every other gear set on every job in the game...)

I think my analogy was to try and make you see exactly how I am approaching this argument. Calling it moronic is childish because you should be able to see the validity of why I said it. Not seeing that well...moronic is the term I would use but...it should be pretty obvious...

Post deleted by User.
By Drjones 2012-04-07 17:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh how I've missed in depth discussions of gearing Red Mage.

I think what you're missing Meowza, is that you can put 50% PDT in an idle set, at which point, what the *** is a PDT set?

Lugging around Genbu's shield and a PDT sword is questionable since you're already going to have a Terra's staff that will provide the same PDT goodness.
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2012-04-07 18:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think you can keeping autorefresh slots though, short of defending/swapping out serpentes (I'm lazy sue me etc.)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-04-07 18:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

46% + Shadow Mantle if I didn't miss anything (barring Dring), assuming Terra's. Well, 40% if idling in Sheltered Ring.

Drjones said: »
Lugging around Genbu's shield and a PDT sword is questionable since you're already going to have a Terra's staff that will provide the same PDT goodness.
Additionally, you can't use oneiros grip with Shikargar + Genbu's.

EDIT: That appears to have been said already, apologies for not backreading.

The only way I could even try to justify the two items is if you're using Genbu's for curing, which in turn demands that you're self-curing and have access to Sanus Ensis. Even then it's a wash and if anything would come down to which is more convenient in terms of macroing, given the issues with equipping sub-slot items when using two different weapon types.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Meowza 2012-04-07 19:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
is if you're using Genbu's for curing

and for me I do which is why I'm not adding any inventory. Even with spellcast, rdm fastcast inertly is already high that on spells like cure it becomes very difficult to precast and midcast swap. Thats why I'm focusing more on a cure build that utilizes both potency but also cure casting time reduction/fast cast. Which genbu shield is perfect for.
Quote:
Additionally, you seem to think that swapping gear on a dime to mitigate the damage from a physical attack would actually be recognized by the server;

You're probably one of those people who put a wait timer on switching their gear for ws and then actually ws'ing. If you don't then your logic contradicts what you just said. There is latency sure, but not as outstanding as you proclaim.

Quote:
but anticipating a monster to attack you whilst you vigilantly watch to swap to your "P.D.T." Set

Sorry for not being mediocre and knowing how to read chat log or hell preemptively know when a mob is about to use a tp move. Game is not that hard....
Quote:
I think what you're missing Meowza, is that you can put 50% PDT in an idle set, at which point, what the *** is a PDT set?

Reread the entire thread and then you'll see why Ryuotas and I are discussing.

Edit: Just looked at your idle set Ryu, you know you could have squashed this a long time ago by simply saying you dont use a Shadow Mantle. That will change a lot of circumstance. While I personally favor a shadow mantle since it is easy to obtain the 50% without it, some feel it isn't justified for the extra inventory. On something like that I can bend on reasoning...
By Meowza 2012-04-07 19:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's funny that we've drawn this out for this long really lol.

All I said from the start was that you should separate mdt from pdt. Which I think most can agree with.

Post deleted by User.