Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 700 701 702 ... 834 835 836
By Foxfire 2021-04-23 13:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

depends on you. do you value the extra stats from 119-3 (+augments)?

some people want the extra MAB/MACC that the final version grants. others don't care.

some people just have an abundance of gil.
 Hades.Dade
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Dade
By Hades.Dade 2021-04-23 16:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Cesil said: »
Is Idris afterglow/aftermath worth getting? I see a lot of GEO's with the green glow Idris, but not sure why ; ; Thank you :)

If you are goin to rank 15 for highest MAcc MH or melee in content that requires frequent bubble dropping (dynamis) AG can be worthwhile.

Most probably just do it for glow.
By RadialArcana 2021-04-23 17:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Idris afterglow/aftermath worth getting? I see a lot of GEO's with the green glow Idris, but not sure why ; ; Thank you :)

Most just want the green glow.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-04-23 18:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Also people did it before daybreak existed
By Pantafernando 2021-04-24 02:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

eh, i remember when i "glowed" my Epeo some time back just for the glow and when i turned my last beit... nothing happened. It was pretty frustrating at that time as i really just did that for the glow.

Fortunely they added that functionality later for the ergon weapons.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-24 07:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't really call it "worth it" when you compare it to Daybreak.

It's still slightly better Macc, if you don't factor dINT and dMND.

R15 Idris: ~325Macc, 40Mab
Daybreak: ~282Macc, 40Mab, 30MND

Is Idris better? Well, sort of.
Is it worth it? Probably not but everyone gives different values to gil so it's something you have to decide for yourself.

Idris is also nice if you wanna DPS on GEO. It's not the BiS option for DPS (it's like second/third) but it offers the great pros of enabling you to recast bubbles while engaged without losing TP/Aftermath, and 25% Pet DT while engaged.
So...it's pretty nice yeah.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-04-24 08:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing about whether things are "worth it" in FFXI is that, barring Dark Matter augments, there is a limited number of things to spend gil on per job, so if you have a healthy gil supply and are focusing significantly on a job, you can feasibly eventually get "everything".

As such, each purchase (if prioritized with care) is "the most worth it" based on your desires at the time, meaning if you spend enough gil on GEO, then R15ing your Idris will eventually be the best use of your gil on the job because you've bought everything more gil efficient already. This applies to everything you can buy other than Escha augments (especially Dark Matter) since they basically go on forever for increasingly marginal improvements.

Many people will stop spending on a job before they get to the point where an R15 Idris is worth the gil in favor of spending on other jobs instead, but if you're going in hard on GEO, it'll eventually become the best purchase at the time.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-24 08:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You can essentially never reach that point because you could always give gil to team mates.

Improving their performance, improves your performance.

Instead of blowing a billion on lolglow, give shellmate that billion and shave .3 seconds off your clear times. it pays for itself really.
By Pantafernando 2021-04-24 09:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I swear every second, penny and attention i spent on shellmates was literally wasted, as those very same people either never performed properly or just gave up the game shortly after (most common case).

The idea isnt bad, the reality is that doesnt happens as we think.

My general rule, in game and life, is that if a char/player is "worth" any investment, most likely he/she just doesnt need any in the end. Thats regarding time/attention.

Any gil/cash given to anyone is always wasted anyway. Gil/cash belongs to the lowest level of necessities. At that level, players/people must know how to deal with it by themselves.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-24 09:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

One could say that would help you get rid of them faster, therefor finding better people and thereby improving your experience.

You could possibly even get your entire investment back, if you blow them enough that they give you the account when they quit....
By GwenStacy 2021-04-24 14:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Whenever I summon Matsui-P and try to talk to an NPC, my game just freezes. I have to //terminate my session.

Anyone have this issue?
By RadialArcana 2021-04-24 16:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Few just give gil to team mates like that, because if you're dealing with people that are as driven as you (and they need to be if they are going to be worth a damn doing harder content long term) then you don't need to give them handouts in the first place. They will relish the work and challenge to build themselves up, since that's a major part of playing an mmorpg (especially long term).

Why are you able to acquire gil when they cannot, unless you have a drive they lack? If they lack that drive, giving them things for free won't do anything but reward that lack of drive and encourage that kind of behavior. There is value in earning the things you obtain and knowing you did it.

There is also the case that many players need things to strive for to continue to be invested and many players need a stepping up of work and reward to keep grinding out content, if you bypass the mid steps and give them their achievements they will just stall out when they have to grind out stuff that you can't hand to them.

You can't buy effective members in your shell, trying to do so will almost always have the opposite effect. They will also ultimately end up resenting you, due to the them feeling indebted to you and not being able to treat you like an equal. This kind of relationship almost never leads to people giving you their accounts either, that usually only happens if you're friends (giving people stuff does not make you friends)

It sadly is better to waste that gil on a glow for your idris, because giving it to someone else in the manner suggested is counter productive to them and you. Human nature is what it is. Keep in mind I'm talking about LS members, not actual real friends here.

Also, I see people say "I helped this person, I powerleveled them from 20 to 99, powered them job points when they couldn't even hit the mobs and give them gil and gear and they quit, WTF!" They quit because you did that. That's like asking a friend to play The Forest and building all their houses for them and having them follow you all around the map. Kind of missing the point of playing, kind of missing that nobody did all that for you and that's why you are still here.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-04-24 16:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

GwenStacy said: »
Whenever I summon Matsui-P and try to talk to an NPC, my game just freezes. I have to //terminate my session.

Anyone have this issue?

Works fine for me.
By Rips 2021-04-24 17:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I was making mules on my naked alt that has none and I've come across this fun error:

Error Code: FFXI-3117
Failed to carry out user file operations.

I swear I didn't do anything sketch. I was going fast though, and on more than one alt. Any ideas as to why? It'll spit me out, sometimes shut me down, and when I log back in it'll let me load, but every second time it is happening. Frustrating.

Edit: I found the following:

Quote:
FFXI-3117:
- This can happen when you did not update the game properly. Go back to the Installing FFXI thread and actually read it.
- This can happen if your firewall is blocking the client.
- This can happen if you don't run as admin.

Other than making new handles and linking them, I don't see what the issue can be. Also, it happened half way through making my mules. Now it even affects my main.
By Felgarr 2021-04-24 23:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Few just give gil to team mates like that, because if you're dealing with people that are as driven as you (and they need to be if they are going to be worth a damn doing harder content long term) then you don't need to give them handouts in the first place. They will relish the work and challenge to build themselves up, since that's a major part of playing an mmorpg (especially long term).

Why are you able to acquire gil when they cannot, unless you have a drive they lack? If they lack that drive, giving them things for free won't do anything but reward that lack of drive and encourage that kind of behavior. There is value in earning the things you obtain and knowing you did it.

There is also the case that many players need things to strive for to continue to be invested and many players need a stepping up of work and reward to keep grinding out content, if you bypass the mid steps and give them their achievements they will just stall out when they have to grind out stuff that you can't hand to them.

You can't buy effective members in your shell, trying to do so will almost always have the opposite effect. They will also ultimately end up resenting you, due to the them feeling indebted to you and not being able to treat you like an equal. This kind of relationship almost never leads to people giving you their accounts either, that usually only happens if you're friends (giving people stuff does not make you friends)

It sadly is better to waste that gil on a glow for your idris, because giving it to someone else in the manner suggested is counter productive to them and you. Human nature is what it is. Keep in mind I'm talking about LS members, not actual real friends here.

Also, I see people say "I helped this person, I powerleveled them from 20 to 99, powered them job points when they couldn't even hit the mobs and give them gil and gear and they quit, WTF!" They quit because you did that. That's like asking a friend to play The Forest and building all their houses for them and having them follow you all around the map. Kind of missing the point of playing, kind of missing that nobody did all that for you and that's why you are still here.

I can't understate this enough. Some people become extremely complacent when you help them. One may think they're helping out a potential friend but in reality, this person may be trying to objectively measure what you'll do for them. (It's a toxic trait, and for some, the relationship becomes symbiotic, or even parasitic. One is in it for the help/hand-outs and the other, for a sustainable relationship. It's extremely sad.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-04-25 03:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Rips said: »
I was making mules on my naked alt that has none and I've come across this fun error:

I swear I didn't do anything sketch. I was going fast though, and on more than one alt. Any ideas as to why? It'll spit me out, sometimes shut me down, and when I log back in it'll let me load, but every second time it is happening. Frustrating.

Quote:
FFXI-3117:
- This can happen when you did not update the game properly. Go back to the Installing FFXI thread and actually read it.

Other than making new handles and linking them, I don't see what the issue can be. Also, it happened half way through making my mules. Now it even affects my main.

It it a new install, a new computer are you doing anything weird like automating things to login or make accounts?
By Afania 2021-04-25 04:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't buy effective members in your shell, trying to do so will almost always have the opposite effect.

Giving your shell members free gil directly for the sake of "team performance" will just cause drama 100% of time, or almost.

1) Those who are giving out stuff for free will likely pick a "useful job" for the group like WHM BRD GEO. Then whoever received the benefit will feel like they'll have to play the job for the group because of all the benefit that they received. Eventually they burned out and quit the game which makes gil sponsor unhappy.

Or they'll start drama when they want to play other jobs and that makes everyone unhappy.

2) And the WHM GEO BRD who received free gil probably aren't feeling devoted to the job because they didn't earn it themselves. They likely just play the job because their group wants them to.

3) Whoever didn't receive free gil because their jobs aren't "useful to the group" won't be happy either.

If you want to help teammates build up their jobs, the best way is to do gil content together and split the profit so nobody owes anyone anything.

And yes to R15 for whatever you want.
[+]
By Draylo 2021-04-25 06:20:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Giving people free crap almost always leads to them quitting 10x faster, learned it first hand. They need the motivation to play otherwise if they are handed it all they'll just quit.
[+]
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2021-04-25 08:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Same thing happens to people who shortcut by buying gil and paying for progress, but at least it was their own money.
By joemamma 2021-04-25 09:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Time far more valuable than gil. If you help a noob or returning player with something. They will remember that not that you gave them 1 M gil or whatever.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2021-04-25 10:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

joemamma said: »
If you help a noob or returning player with something. They will remember that not that you gave them 1 M gil or whatever.
This. The only times that I ever really give money to other people is when I "buy" a newbie their mog sack while showing them where the artisan moogle is.
Time on the other hand, I always have time for helping others. Even if it's not returned to me, it's likely returned to someone else... or at least I hope so.
By Rips 2021-04-25 12:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Rips said: »

Quote:
FFXI-3117:

It it a new install, a new computer are you doing anything weird like automating things to login or make accounts?

Nothing of the sort regarding automating. It was all gone from this morning. So, back to normal.
 Asura.Diluted
user: Crumpet
By Asura.Diluted 2021-04-27 17:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to get Throne room under Sandy control on Asura as I want the nightfall sword for lockstyle, yet no campaign battles seem to spawn in Castle Zvahl at all, Is there something I'm missing or is it just a very infrequent spawn?

I did go into the zone and there was a load of campaign mobs there, but no option to participate in a campaign battle, I killed them until they retreated into the keep and then killed the mobs there as well, but still nothing.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-04-27 18:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

asuraasrial said: »
The Oseem page lists possible augments for WSD as 1-4% yet I've seen items with 8%. Is this achieved via dark matter?

1-4% for pellucid and taupe stones
1-5% for fern stones

anything above that only comes on Reisenjima gear from Dark Matter.
By Foxfire 2021-04-27 18:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

in the first part of that page,

Quote:
Dark matter: Specialized augments
Current known information is that it provides stats from all category such as melee,magic,ranged and pet completely randomly whiling mixing stats (E.g. Ranged attack with pet attack with int stat) with a chance to go over the cap set on normal stones (Be aware that its extremely rare)(E.g. WS dmg +9 or Mattack +50)
Currently suspected that all 5 slots can have any stats appear that would normally stay in a certain slot.
It makes every stat type from all armors available to any armor type (e.g.Valorous stats on Merlinic armor).
It also has specialized stats including but possibly not limited to, quadruple attack +1-3, Phalanx +1-5, TH +1-2, refresh +1-2, weaponskill damage +1-10%, etc

they're mostly done during dark matter campaigns, such as the one upcoming next month. good luck.
[+]
 Cerberus.Dekar
Server: Cerberus
user: Dekar1
By Cerberus.Dekar 2021-04-29 22:31:53
Link | Quote | Reply

A friend took he and I into Odyssey Sheol - Gaol. After taking us to fight Arebati he passed me leader. For some reason I was able to summon some trusts that I do not have--Ygnas included. I know my friend at least has Ygnas. Is this normal?
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-04-30 03:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I think all trusts, minus the Unity Leaders, are available for everyone inside Gaol.
By FaeQueenCory 2021-04-30 05:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Dekar said: »
A friend took he and I into Odyssey Sheol - Gaol. After taking us to fight Arebati he passed me leader. For some reason I was able to summon some trusts that I do not have--Ygnas included. I know my friend at least has Ygnas. Is this normal?
Since you were trying to summon trusts, I assume it was just you+your friend and maybe 1 other person.
In Gaol once you use a job or a trust, those are locked out. So those trusts missing in your list were the ones your friend used on Arebati, yes?
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2021-05-02 01:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys, has anyone noticed about getting more seals in party? just got a mix of 6 beastmen/kindred seals in 1 mob kill. Did SE botch something?
First Page 2 3 ... 700 701 702 ... 834 835 836