Parry @373+ Skill
First Page 2
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Malekith 2012-02-15 01:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

== GIVEN ==
1. Target: Fear Dearg's in Abyssea - Altepa (Flux #6)
2. I'm using montagna, prouesse ring, terminus earring to skill+ gain rate.
3. I've got brisk mask, ample gloves, and teutates subligar equipped for -30 EVA. I'm popping Innin as well to further reduce EVA.
4. All other slots have regen/ pdt gear.
5. I'm spamming issekigan every time it's up.

== Problem ==
Skillups have totally dried up since hitting 373 (no merits). All the mobs are EP++. There's no way I can milk this camp any further can I? Just wondering if there are any suggestions from people who've capped this for level 99. :/
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-02-15 01:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

You probably need to move to Altepa to keep getting decent skillups.
 Phoenix.Ninjie
Server: Phoenix
user: ninjie
By Phoenix.Ninjie 2012-02-15 01:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

EP++ even with them being leveled up?
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2012-02-15 01:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

level samurai? idk man, my parry is only 313
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-02-15 01:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
You probably need to move to Altepa to keep getting decent skillups.

Asura.Malekith said: »
== GIVEN ==
1. Target: Fear Dearg's in Abyssea - Altepa (Flux #6)
I'm already there in Altep... :/

The mandies are getting leveled, courtesy of a FC pt out here who I have to imagine isn't that thrilled with me pulling half to skill with... I'm just wondering where else people have gone to cap because I hate to think that I'll need to spend time killing these *** to level them up first before i can afk skill on them :/
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-02-15 01:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It takes like 1~2 kills to level up those mandies. Just do it. I capped 5 weapon types on WAR in ~3 hours last weekend without using any skillup enhancing gear/food/whatever.
By Xorn 2012-02-15 12:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Dunno if it's the constant RMT FC burns there or what, but every time I go to Altepa to try to skill up the mandies won't change from EP despite being killed many times. I was even there once without a FC burn, and no dice.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2012-02-15 12:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Altepa will cap you. I went from 95 cap to 99 cap in a little over an hour using a SCH friend and holding nearly every mandy there. The trick is to just kill mandies as fast as possible till you see them DC or higher. This shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, maybe 5 more if you're waiting on the first repops. Then round up as many as you're comfortable with holding and enjoy. Also yes, ride Issekigan like crazy, it's a constant 1-2 levels of parry on Altepa mandies if you can manage 20 of them at once.

There's really no faster way than this, but I do know Attowha mandies can go to DC at 99 and that place is much less crowded on my server than Altepa. You'll just need to go otherwise when no one's down there and pray it goes fast.
 Valefor.Zentoo
Server: Valefor
user: zentoo
By Valefor.Zentoo 2012-02-15 12:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

i caped mine on nin soloing 3-4 mandy at a time in aby misareaux
much less ppl than in altep

Atma of Roaring Laughter with evas - major help a lot
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-02-15 22:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It takes like 1~2 kills to level up those mandies. Just do it.
Not sure why the mandies never gained a level but there was a war doing a FC party that was in there for several hours as I tried to do this. If he's killing 20 per round over the course of that time, you'd think the damn things would level up. :/

I capped 5 weapon types on WAR in ~3 hours last weekend without using any skillup enhancing gear/food/whatever.
It's infinitely easier to skill up a weapon compared to parry so while I feel what you're saying it's just not a valid comparison.

== epilogue ==
Friend of mine told me to try mandies in Attohwa, and sure enough most were DC, and even the EP ones "leveled up" quickly after being killed off. :)
 Lakshmi.Mrfrodo
user: frodough
By Lakshmi.Mrfrodo 2012-02-15 22:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

So how much regen would you recommend for starting out lvling parry? im round 240 if i remember right. i do have war up and nin etc. i dont have any of the skill up gear sadly :(
 Ragnarok.Stiel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Stiel
By Ragnarok.Stiel 2012-02-15 23:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

when i capped parry,around 380 been a bit glitchy dunno why,anyway you need eevn match/tough to get good skill up,using low monsters is of no help at that level even if you can pull more mobs.try out mnandy in misaeraux and atthowa and see if they are decent or better even match,if not use crabs in grauber or anything that is even match,best would be mandy at least dc and up,yyou dont need much eva- gear,focus more on parry + gear,and use maringna at that level btw
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2012-02-15 23:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

hear's a way.

Step 1 get like 500 min+ in abyssea (kinda inconfinient but you could join a exp party or something.

Step 2 put on ya pdt gear + regen atmas

Step 3 pull as many mobs as you can handle (by being afk) then get the mob your targeting to attack your side (so you won't auto attack it) then as long as your facing some of the mobs you'll still parry then just go afk.

step 4 pray someone doesn't come over to save you lol.
By Xorn 2012-02-16 00:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

^I wonder if that could be misconstrued as taking AFK actions and therefore a jailable offense.
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2012-02-16 00:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

alot of my friends capped evasion the same way i guess just to be safe you should make sure nothing is claimed
 Lakshmi.Mrfrodo
By Lakshmi.Mrfrodo 2012-02-16 00:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

well for regen atma i have MC and sea daughter (daytime) i think with those two and the atma off fistule, ill have decent regen atma. use earth staff and other pdt on war and itll get it up well on mandies.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-02-16 00:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you have a mule account to Accession + Phalanx 1 or just use Phalanx 2, you're going to be handicapped like I was. That means using /dnc and healing yourself when you can to supplement your PDT/ REGEN setup.

Regenwise I was at +52: Atmas were Visscitude (+15), Mouted Champion (+15) & Stronghold (+20). I also had regen from Wiglen Gorget +2.

As discussed in the earlier post, all other gear slots had PDT or Skill+ gear.

Just in case it was unclear, my experienes being shared here were on NIN wielding an Earthstaff. It doesn't matter that NIN/DNC has absolutely no skill in the weapon. We're not trying to kill the mobs.

== Important things to keep in mind ==
* NIN > all for this, Innin + Issikegan = your friend.
* Mandies, NOT the mini ones in Misareaux Coast, and Detectors work best because they 1) link and 2) have a high attack speed which is what you want. You really only need 6-10. You don't need to hog every last one.
* One you've gathered up your train of mobs, Find a wall to trap them all against. This may take some work as the mobs will want to spread out. What I did was keep one target locked as I hugged the wall (can be on left or right side). Once I was as close to the wall as possible I walked backwards slowly until all of the mobs where bunched together in front of me. It may take you several tries to do this till you get the hang of it.
By Xorn 2012-02-16 02:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Why don't the mini mandies work? I was planning to take my WAR there after the Tahrongi mandies because they're cuter than the ones in Attohwa.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-02-16 02:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It takes like 1~2 kills to level up those mandies. Just do it.
Not sure why the mandies never gained a level but there was a war doing a FC party that was in there for several hours as I tried to do this. If he's killing 20 per round over the course of that time, you'd think the damn things would level up. :/

I capped 5 weapon types on WAR in ~3 hours last weekend without using any skillup enhancing gear/food/whatever.
It's infinitely easier to skill up a weapon compared to parry so while I feel what you're saying it's just not a valid comparison.

== epilogue ==
Friend of mine told me to try mandies in Attohwa, and sure enough most were DC, and even the EP ones "leveled up" quickly after being killed off. :)

Well, 5 weapon types, none of which had been skilled up since 90, meant well over 200 skill levels. Cleaves will level down the monster (any monster killed by something that doesn't target it levels down instead of up).

I capped Parry a few days after they released the 99 cap on Altepa mandies.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-02-16 03:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It takes like 1~2 kills to level up those mandies. Just do it. I capped 5 weapon types on WAR in ~3 hours last weekend without using any skillup enhancing gear/food/whatever.
DUDE THIS IS A NIN THREAD... sorry for shouting but I have no idea why you're talking about what you did on WAR in a NIN thread...

Well, 5 weapon types, none of which had been skilled up since 90, meant well over 200 skill levels.
Irrelevant we're talking about parry, who cares about skilling weapons up... there are other threads for that...

I capped Parry a few days after they released the 99 cap on Altepa mandies.
Ok finally something relevant and yet you bring up using the same mob that I mentioned in my OP as being troublesome...

FYI for those that didn't know, Abyssea - Altepa mandies are glitched. They don't level like they should normally after being killed off a few times. Folks looking to use them to skill off are just better off going to Abyssea - Misareaux.

@Byrth not meaning to come down on you bro, but c'mon man if you're gonna post be helpful. I know you're trying but your posts leave me with the impression that reading comprehension is a problem... Please don't be the guy who says the sky is blu if a someone asks what time it is...
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2012-02-16 03:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Figure I'd mention Centaurus earring and Metallon mantle for a total of 20 more -evasion. Aggressor could be useful too.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-02-16 03:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I told you exactly how to skill up your parrying and you replied with a basic misunderstanding of how leveling up Abyssea monsters works. Altepa mandies are the best, level them up to EM/T and tank them. I mentioned skilling up WAR because it means I also leveled up the monsters recently (hence the high skillup rate, which is why I mentioned it). Other mandies cap out at DC (level 94/95), which will technically work but will give slower skillups than tanking a bunch of 99/100 monsters.

I did exactly what I said when I capped Parrying on Dancer. It's not rocket science. You kill them one at a time and they get stronger. Failure to implement this strategy is not the strategy's fault.
 Bahamut.Yukimu
Server: Bahamut
user: Yukimu
By Bahamut.Yukimu 2012-02-16 03:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

@397, still going up. DC Altepa mandies.

Some days I am able to located V or VT. But I am still getting skill up on DC.

Done on cor ~
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-02-16 03:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skadoosh said: »
Figure I'd mention Centaurus earring and Metallon mantle for a total of 20 more -evasion. Aggressor could be useful too.
Nice suggestions there! Aggressor would only help if you were doing this on WAR though and if you were skilling parry on war... then you sir are hardcore!
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-02-16 04:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I told you exactly how to skill up your parrying and you replied with a basic misunderstanding of how leveling up Abyssea monsters works.
Nope I just keep seeing more issues with reading comprehension here...

Read the OP, read my 2nd post and then get back to me. On your end, you start off by telling me to go to altep, when I already said I was there in my OP!

Then you start talking about killing mobs to level them. Duh... even I know that, look at my second post! Apparently though if there's a FC party in zone killing the mobs for several hours that won't level them up? I have to individually kill each one? Really? Since when? It's irrelevant anyways since it's come out that mandies in altep are glitched... I've had this confirmed by other people and I've already made a GM call.

Aside from what you wrote here in your latest post where you try to save face. Everything else you've written was what I'd call helpful. If I got my skill to 373 and I was doing it in the method I originally described there's a big chance I was already on the right path. All my original post sought to obtain was any pointers on alternate camps or info about Altep mandies being glitched, info I got from everyone but you bro...
 Lakshmi.Mrfrodo
By Lakshmi.Mrfrodo 2012-02-16 04:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

i need to get more regen atma before i try this i think, with earth staff and a couple ok dark rings i should have round 30%pdt down. thats not too bad. dont know of any more pdt gear off the top of my head for nin that isnt expensive or a pain, tho i am a bit tired lol.
 Bahamut.Ivebian
user: Smg1388
By Bahamut.Ivebian 2012-02-16 04:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skadoosh said: »
Nice suggestions there! Aggressor would only help if you were doing this on WAR though and if you were skilling parry on war... then you sir are hardcore!

Aggressor is Lv 45 as far as altepa mandies being glitched I dont think so... Just need to kill faster, the person cleaving must not be one shotting them or maybe pulling too slow
 Bismarck.Themuffingirl
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Themuffingirl 2012-02-16 04:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

(any monster killed by something that doesn't target it levels down instead of up).

there's a FC party in zone killing the mobs for several hours

Sounds pretty self-explanatory to me. Kill them yourself, one by one, they'll start to level up.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-02-16 04:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

(any monster killed by something that doesn't target it levels down instead of up).

Bismarck.Themuffingirl said: »
Sounds pretty self-explanatory to me. Kill them yourself, one by one, they'll start to level up.
Honestly this would be news to me that one needed to kill mandies individually to force them to level and that AoE killing keeps them weaker. If folks could be so kind as to post a link to BG or off a update note, I'd be greatful.

Intuitively it makes no sense but that's just my opinion. I still think there's something glitched at altep, and that belief did leave to calling a GM who put in a ticket. The issue is being examined. Anyways I don't want anyone thinking that I didn't kill things one-by-one, because I DID using my normal gear. Perhaps the ones that did level got swept up by the FC pull, who knows? Ultimately my time spent in altep wasn't being spent as efficiently as I wanted and that's why I tried looking for other camps/ advice on here. When I was out at Attohwa I did kill one-by-one and saw leveled up mobs and that's how I finished.
 Bahamut.Ivebian
user: Smg1388
By Bahamut.Ivebian 2012-02-16 04:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I did not realize that, to be fair theres normally ppl killing the mobs im trying to cleave anyways or I just don't pay attention, very useful info wish id known this sooner...
First Page 2