New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » News » SOPA and PIPA
SOPA and PIPA
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10
 Aro
By Aro 2012-01-18 17:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

In the long run wouldn't it cause more damage than they think it will do good?

The prats that think this bill is brilliant need shooting...
[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2012-01-18 17:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i contacted both my senators and my... one... rep (thanks wiki) and basically told them that i don't care how much funding they are getting from lobbyists and such for this, if they vote yes they will not have my vote (in a polite way). eh, maybe that wont do anything for them but i figure that's what gov officials care about, keeping their power
 Lakshmi.Jesi
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jesi
By Lakshmi.Jesi 2012-01-18 17:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Daemun said: »
Sylph.Zohnax said: »
Cerberus.Irohuro said: »
Cerberus.Tidis said: »
The more I read stuff about this and comments by the bills supporters, the more it seems like they were just told "This bill is going to stop online piracy" and they thought "Well that's good, no point in reading it!"

everyone knows that US senators never read the bills, they just listen to what they sponsors say they are and go from that. i think there was even a news clip somewhere where one even admitted that.
That's incredibly disturbing. What's more disturbing is how these people get into office.
The uneducated, gullible, American populous.

It's more like corrupt politicians who serve big business instead of the citizens.
 Lakshmi.Jesi
user: Jesi
By Lakshmi.Jesi 2012-01-18 17:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said: »
i contacted both my senators and my... one... rep (thanks wiki) and basically told them that i don't care how much funding they are getting from lobbyists and such for this, if they vote yes they will not have my vote (in a polite way). eh, maybe that wont do anything for them but i figure that's what gov officials care about, keeping their power

The real question on if it passes or not is when they figure out how many votes they would be losing.

If they find out that the majority of the voting public doesn't know or care about this, they will go ahead and pass it.
 Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2012-01-18 17:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jesi said: »
Bismarck.Patrik said: »

The real question on if it passes or not is when they figure out how many votes they would be losing.

If they find out that the majority of the voting public doesn't know or care about this, they will go ahead and pass it.
that's what I'm hoping for. a lot of people are saying these blackouts and such are pointless. but if the majority of the US say no to these bills, and the senators/reps want to say yes. They should be able to imagine they wont be in power much longer
By Kikorimo 2012-01-18 17:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been hearing a lot about this today... (and I'm Canadian!) Are these online petitions to oppose the bill only for Americans or...? I would sign one also if directed to it assuming non-American people are able to do so...

Also, is this why everything on here seems to be blacked out too?
 Bismarck.Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2012-01-18 17:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Kikorimo said: »
I've been hearing a lot about this today... (and I'm Canadian!) Are these online petitions to oppose the bill only for Americans or...? I would sign one also if directed to it assuming non-American people are able to do so...

Also, is this why everything on here seems to be blacked out too?
this affects people all around the world so I'd imagine you can sign (or at least try to) and yea the black lines and such is to raise awareness for the "blackout"

(and for somewhere to find a petition, go the the main page of this site and click the censored pic thing, or go to google... or plenty of other sites)
By Kikorimo 2012-01-18 17:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll see if I can sign the one through the link on the main page here then...
By Kikorimo 2012-01-18 17:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

d'oh.... it requires a ZIP code... so looks like no... Canada has postal codes not ZIP codes ><

edit: i input my postal code anyways and it seems to have accepted it... <_<
By Rioko 2012-01-18 17:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm all against piracy, I'm an artist myself.

However, I'm against SOPA/PIPA.

This bill is badly written and just ridiculous. It's written in favor of the big music and movie industries, taking away freedom of speech, and just the whole internet together. This doesn't do any favor to unsigned artists and such. It does more harm to us artists since it's hard to promote our works on a restricted internet. Not only that, but it also affects millions of people who rely on the internet for their income.

These big movie money hungry industries claim that because say, 100,000 people download their movies for free, it's automatically 100,000 losses. It's not entirely accurate. Just because all those people downloaded a movie for free doesn't mean that they'd have thought of buying the product in the first place. It doesn't automatically convert it into a loss.

This is not the way to fight piracy. They should fight it with innovation, making a different business model. People can't always afford what these industries ask for. They already make a lot of money as it is and they still want more? Why should we let music and movie industries control our freedom like that?

Everyone, even foreigners should be concerned. I am. It affects everyone in the world, not just US citizens.

These industries basically want to control information. Information is power. It is a scary thing to let these companies have more power than they already hold. This bill has a lot of loopholes and like I said, it's written in favor of these industries, not citizens.

This is my opinion.
[+]
 Bismarck.Siggymund
Premium
user: Sigmund
By Bismarck.Siggymund 2012-01-18 17:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Would this bill limit the ability to even have FFxiah.com link out the POL.com news on the front page of this site?
 Bismarck.Recaldy
user: Recaldy
By Bismarck.Recaldy 2012-01-18 17:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this their method of reacting to the Piracy and counterfeit products in/from China? I think so.
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2012-01-18 18:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wanted to say something in regard to this entire website blackout trend. Has there ever been a more childish way to combat an unfavorable bill? This is like a child covering their ears and screaming "Lalalalalalala" when they don't get their way. If something is wrong, debate it, don't avoid it.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-18 18:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skadoosh said: »
Just wanted to say something in regard to this entire website blackout trend. Has there ever been a more childish way to combat an unfavorable bill? This is like a child covering their ears and screaming "Lalalalalalala" when they don't get their way. If something is wrong, debate it, don't avoid it.
I'm not sure how it's childish having major internet companies band together and protest something that could end up destroying their jobs.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-01-18 18:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

except the president has already said weeks ago it was dead on arrival. So nothing is going to happen regardless of what Congress does. So the whole internet blackout is much a do about nothing.
 Bahamut.Feisei
Server: Bahamut
user: feifei
By Bahamut.Feisei 2012-01-18 18:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Skadoosh, majority of us are americans here, we protest to get our point across. Cant debate with people that dont know anything.
 Ragnarok.Ruklin
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ruklin
By Ragnarok.Ruklin 2012-01-18 18:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/under-voter-pressure-members-of-congress-backpedal-on-sopa.ars
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2012-01-18 18:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
I'm not sure how it's childish having major internet companies band together and protest something that could end up destroying their jobs.
I just honestly can't remember a time that a major company stooped to this level, let alone multiple. Instead of using simple reason, they are employing a this-is-what-happens-when-we-might-not-get-our-way pout. Surely our lawmakers and businesses can work together better than this?
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2012-01-18 18:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Feisei said: »
Skadoosh, majority of us are americans here, we protest to get our point across. Cant debate with people that dont know anything.
I'm American k
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-01-18 18:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I just honestly can't remember a time that a major company stooped to this level, let alone multiple. Instead of using simple reason, they are employing a this-is-what-happens-when-we-might-not-get-our-way pout. Surely our lawmakers and businesses can work together better than this?

it's actually the people in support of the bill that are acting like children, get it right.
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2012-01-18 18:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You've missed my point entirely. I'm concerned that the methods chosen to combat these regulations are childish. Not the regulations themselves.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-01-18 18:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, there has been. Apathy and moaning without action are awfully childish ways to combat it :P

The blackout has done one thing successfully if nothing else: raised enough awareness that everyone is talking about it here. Even in my Deli there were people talking about what Wikipedia said.

Word of mouth is powerful.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-18 18:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would you want a major site to fall because some user posted a link to copywrite content? Posted a video with a song in it.

I don't get people sometimes, you complain because of a little protesting but what if these sites were gone the next day. Whole games could be shut down because of something a player says in game. Google could be done because of a site in the search results. Wikipedia undoubtedly would be gone first or close to it. Blogs, Youtube, video sites, all gone because they are hosting user video's that have content from the media.

Why would anyone that actually uses the internet wish that upon it. I don't get people.
[+]
 Bahamut.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2012-01-18 18:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You've missed my point entirely. I'm concerned that the methods chosen to combat these regulations are childish. Not the regulations themselves.
Do you think people who peacefully protest outside of businesses, court houses, etc. are childish?
 Lakshmi.Greggles
user: Greggles
By Lakshmi.Greggles 2012-01-18 18:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not childish though. It's proving a point. This is what would happen if SOPA would pass. How is it childish to show someone what would happen if something like that were to pass?

I feel like it's not because when I brought up SOPA with my mom a few days ago, she said she was for it. Why? because piracy is bad. She only saw the title of the bill and assumed that it was a good thing. Now, if a lot more people are doing that, they need to have their eyes opened on why SOPA/PIPA are bad. This does exactly that.
[+]
By Kikorimo 2012-01-18 18:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It's raising awareness, and not just in America. buisnesses aren't covering their ears and going ,"lalalalalalalala!" instead they are saying, "If this bill passes, this is what the internet is going to become" basically. At least that's how I see it, and I think they have a point. IGN, blogs, movie reviews, anything showing a screenshot or image, has user generated content (youtube, wikipedia etc) or allows live chat can and likely will get nailed hard for this and/or shut down. It doesn't take a genius to realise there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there on BOTH sides of the fence.

Just my 2 gil.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2012-01-18 18:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Krizz said: »
Do you think people who peacefully protest outside of businesses, court houses, etc. are childish?

Gotta agree with kriz their'

And am I the only one that finds the irony in skasoosh's statment giving the time of year? (at least in america) I think Dr. King would like to have a word with you...
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-18 18:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Greggles said: »

It's not childish though. It's proving a point. This is what would happen if SOPA would pass. How is it childish to show someone what would happen if something like that were to pass?

I feel like it's not because when I brought up SOPA with my mom a few days ago, she said she was for it. Why? because piracy is bad. She only saw the title of the bill and assumed that it was a good thing. Now, if a lot more people are doing that, they need to have their eyes opened on why SOPA/PIPA are bad. This does exactly that.
Unfortunately that's all a majority of people see and side with it.

Now when you side with something, then google, bing, wiki, yahoo, aol, wiki, youtube, ect, are siding against you... do you honestly think they are all for piracy?

It amazes me how many people still are for it, it blows my mind in the wrong way.
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-01-18 18:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is, you get people like in the Occupy protest that are just doing it because its something to do, its popular opinion, or are trying to fit in.

I think one of the things about this is, you get people who arent really educating themselves on this, they are just believing what people are telling them. I see a lot of people here overreacting as to what would actually happen if sopa passes. People aren't getting the actual facts and just regurgitating what they hear.
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2012-01-18 18:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would you want a major site to fall because some user posted a link to copywrite content? Posted a video with a song in it.

I don't get people sometimes, you complain because of a little protesting but what if these sites were gone the next day. Whole games could be shut down because of something a player says in game. Google could be done because of a site in the search results. Wikipedia undoubtedly would be gone first or close to it. Blogs, Youtube, video sites, all gone because they are hosting user video's that have content from the media.

Why would anyone that actually uses the internet wish that upon it. I don't get people.
Again, I'm also not in favor of the bill, just the method of protest..... Nevermind lol
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10