Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-01-18 15:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Eugene said: »
Lakshmi.Jaerik said: »
Amusingly however, both links you provided go to Wikipedia, which is blacked out in protest of SOPA/PIPA.
Bahamut.Serj said: »
If you use noscript and have wikimedia blocked, the blackout doesn't happen >_>

Just fyi.

Yeah, I figured that in the spirit of better understanding how the laws would affect us, wiki wouldn't mind me peeking at them.

I had to figure out why it wasn't blacked out for me.

Not like I'm being ignorant and avoiding all of this. I've spent a ton of time sending letters/emails to people, signing online petitions, and making phone calls for the past week.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2012-01-18 15:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

In a lot of people's defense, the NDAA and Patriot Acts only apply to Americans, so there isn't much reason for them to care.

SOPA and PIPA, due to the fact that the majority of websites, search engines, and DNS entities are operated from within the US, has world-wide consequences.
[+]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2012-01-18 15:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
The more I read stuff about this and comments by the bills supporters, the more it seems like they were just told "This bill is going to stop online piracy" and they thought "Well that's good, no point in reading it!"

you should seen the online debate on this few months ago noone there had a clew how the tech worked and someone did a search for a movie on there ipad and i think started quoating movie reveiw sites as illegal pirate sites...
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2012-01-18 15:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ianpyst said: »
Bismarck.Markas said: »
Valefor.Vandell said: »
It's funny how everyone is all like "OMG not meh internets!"

Where was everyone when they passed the Patriot Act and now the NDAA?

That's right,we don't need civil liberties,just moar free music and movies.
nobody believed that these affected them directly

Well, the NDAA doesn't effect any American citizen. So Vandell's comment is just that of ignorance.

Everything I read says otherwise. It doesn't say that you -can- detain US citizens, but it also doesn't say that you can't. The language of the bill is weird, but from what I have hashed out from other people's take on the bill is this: The military can't decide to hold you under the NDAA, but if it is ordered to, then they can, citizen or otherwise.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2012-01-18 15:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate to be so ignorant, but what exactly does the Patriot Act do? I was a child (well, a teen) when it went into play if I recall correctly, and I have no idea what it's actually about.

If NDAA is the one who allows the US military to detain suspected terrorists indefinitely, I did protest that one but it just wasn't nearly as wide-spread as the sopa protest.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-18 15:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Eugene said: »
Amusingly however, both links you provided go to Wikipedia, which is blacked out in protest of SOPA/PIPA.
If you use noscript and have wikimedia blocked, the blackout doesn't happen >_>

Just fyi.

Yeah, I figured that in the spirit of better understanding how the laws would affect us, wiki wouldn't mind me peeking at them.

I had to figure out why it wasn't blacked out for me.

Not like I'm being ignorant and avoiding all of this. I've spent a ton of time sending letters/emails to people, signing online petitions, and making phone calls for the past week.
Even if you aren't, Wiki has provided a few pages that are available w/o blocking them so people can read up on the topic.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2012-01-18 15:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

In a lot of people's defense, the NDAA and Patriot Acts only apply to Americans, so there isn't much reason for them to care.

SOPA and PIPA, due to the fact that the majority of websites, search engines, and DNS entities are operated from within the US, has world-wide consequences.
Well... technically anything that affects our military does have global consequences, but I digress let's focus on the topic at hand.
 Carbuncle.Ianpyst
Server: Carbuncle
user: ianpyst
By Carbuncle.Ianpyst 2012-01-18 15:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Eyrhika said: »
Everything I read says otherwise. It doesn't say that you -can- detain US citizens, but it also doesn't say that you can't. The language of the bill is weird, but from what I have hashed out from other people's take on the bill is this: The military can't decide to hold you under the NDAA, but if it is ordered to, then they can, citizen or otherwise.

You shouldn't just take what your told. Everything you read, was wrong. A little research goes a long way:

Quote:
Carbuncle.Ianpyst said:
Nothing in the NDAA applies to citizens, or a "martial law". Hell, most of what you see people whining about was already a placed law (Public Law:Authorization for Use of Military Force September 18, 2001). And even in this case, it was used on two suspected al Qaeda terrorists back in 2004, and hasn't been used since (which if you read the law, is understandable why).

The NDAA doesn't expand the government’s detention authority. It really doesn't mandate the military detention of other terrorist suspects. But best of all... it doesn't authorize detention of citizens (in any way). However, it does make Obama's promise of closing Guantanamo Bay an impossibility for at least the next year.

And to all the "the Bill of Rights is dead" people: No federal statute can repeal the Bill of Rights. While I do agree that some of our rights are being squandered and/or taken away a bit at a time, this act [the NDAA] plays no part in that.

Edit: Some Links~

The NDAA itself.

A helpful guide as your reading the NDAA (or you can just read this if your lazy :)
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2012-01-18 15:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Please take discussion of NDAA / Patriot Act to another thread. Let's keep this about SOPA + PIPA.
[+]
By Artemicion 2012-01-18 15:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So if a copyright holder or investigator of sorts found dirt on your site or an infringing user, would they have the authority to have you shut down immediately, or would there be a sort of cease and desist notice given to remove said content in a timely manner?
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-18 15:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
So if a copyright holder or investigator of sorts found dirt on your site or an infringing user, would they have the authority to have you shut down immediately, or would there be a sort of cease and desist notice given to remove said content in a timely manner?
From what I read it would be shut down w/o any warning, and you would have to go to court to get it back up and running after you prove your innocence.
By Artemicion 2012-01-18 15:52:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I see a lot of potential misfires and blocked sites without any grounds or merit for doing so, but the problem is, even if site owners or administrators can prove otherwise and free their site, the damage is already done. Even having it blocked for a short time ruins a degree of credibility to both the users and advertisers for it.
[+]
 Bismarck.Siggymund
Premium
Server: Bismarck
user: Sigmund
By Bismarck.Siggymund 2012-01-18 15:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

This is such crap. The music/movie industry just needs to hold their employees more accountable for leaking the media before it's released. They make enough money from the crappy stuff they release these days anyways.
[+]
By slipispsycho 2012-01-18 15:58:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it's been said repeatedly that the entire thing needs to be rewritten, but now I'm sitting here trying to imagine how it could be rewritten, be effective and not outright infringe on people's rights, and I just can't do it.

How can you possibly make it effective without stepping on people's rights? I mean they have ways to combat it now, but it's far from effective.
[+]
By zahrah 2012-01-18 16:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Psycho Slip said: »
Well it's been said repeatedly that the entire thing needs to be rewritten, but now I'm sitting here trying to imagine how it could be rewritten, be effective and not outright infringe on people's rights, and I just can't do it.

How can you possibly make it effective without stepping on people's rights? I mean they have ways to combat it now, but it's far from effective.

I was trying to envision an ideal scenario too, but I'm coming up blank.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Phaffi
user: phafi
By Lakshmi.Phaffi 2012-01-18 16:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

What would this do to online education, like if a student posted something in a forum discussion for class?
 Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Setsuai
By Quetzalcoatl.Setsuai 2012-01-18 16:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't read the whole thread so this may be a double post, but google has started a petition for this. You just have to click the blacked out part of it and it will take you to the petition page. It maybe takes 10 seconds to put in your info, maybe 20 if you share it on Facebook, Twitter or Google+.
 Valefor.Mithano
Server: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2012-01-18 16:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Phaffi said: »
What would this do to online education, like if a student posted something in a forum discussion for class?

Gone.

These laws have the potential to remove ANY site on the internet, user generated content or not, with little legal hearing prior.

User generated sites are even more vulnerable, because of the general nature to allow user-generated content to be posted without prior review. But that's really just a side effect - even with moderation, a company can come in and have the site shut down.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-01-18 16:12:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't trust a petition to do anything, although I signed anyways.

Call, call, call!
 Odin.Daemun
user: daemun
By Odin.Daemun 2012-01-18 16:13:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
I don't trust a petition to do anything, although I signed anyways.

Call, call, call!
Bomb threat taking it too far?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2012-01-18 16:14:09
Link | Quote | Reply

zahrah said: »

You know why?

I think it's because this is turning into of those "The War on X" scenarios. Sorta like "The War on Drugs."
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2012-01-18 16:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2012/01/open-letter-to-washington-from-artists.html
Neil Gaiman's Journal: An open letter to Washington from Artists and Creators
 Cerberus.Irohuro
Server: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2012-01-18 16:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The more I read stuff about this and comments by the bills supporters, the more it seems like they were just told "This bill is going to stop online piracy" and they thought "Well that's good, no point in reading it!"

everyone knows that US senators never read the bills, they just listen to what they sponsors say they are and go from that. i think there was even a news clip somewhere where one even admitted that.
 Odin.Daemun
By Odin.Daemun 2012-01-18 16:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

You know why?

I think it's because this is turning into of those "The War on X" scenarios. Sorta like "The War on Drugs."
so a fitting name would be "The War on Freedom"?
[+]
 Sylph.Zohnax
Server: Sylph
user: Baelfael
By Sylph.Zohnax 2012-01-18 16:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Irohuro said: »

everyone knows that US senators never read the bills, they just listen to what they sponsors say they are and go from that. i think there was even a news clip somewhere where one even admitted that.
That's incredibly disturbing. What's more disturbing is how these people get into office.
 Siren.Murdock
user: Murdock
By Siren.Murdock 2012-01-18 16:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/sopa.txt
[+]
 Odin.Daemun
By Odin.Daemun 2012-01-18 16:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Zohnax said: »
Cerberus.Irohuro said: »

That's incredibly disturbing. What's more disturbing is how these people get into office.
The uneducated, gullible, American populous.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2012-01-18 16:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Daemun said: »

You know why?

Ultimately yeah, but this particular one would be something like "The War on Copyright Infringement" or something like that.

"The War on Piracy" seems more directed at downloading warez.
 Odin.Daemun
By Odin.Daemun 2012-01-18 16:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Daemun said: »

You know why?

Ultimately yeah, but this particular one would be something like "The War on Copyright Infringement" or something like that.

"The War on Piracy" seems more directed at downloading warez.
I didn't mean their 'catchy' term for it, I meant the truthful title.
 Lakshmi.Jesi
user: Jesi
By Lakshmi.Jesi 2012-01-18 17:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The worst thing about the bill is that we'll still be able to download torrents while legit sites are going to be hit hard.

Angry Video Game Nerd has already said that if it passes he'll have to stop doing video game/movie parodies and concentrate on making more original works.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10