Sam gear lvl 99
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 52 53 54
 Lakshmi.Lyonard
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Lyonard
By Lakshmi.Lyonard 2012-01-22 10:59:07
Link | Quote | Reply

my idea was to keep a 5tp set up while adding some DA ( i should reach 23% da with /war ) on tp phase...

i am new of sam and i was thinking to work on masamune.... do you think this set could be anyway good?
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-01-22 11:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

people still make masamune O.o
 Fenrir.Riken
Server: Fenrir
user: Riken
By Fenrir.Riken 2012-01-22 22:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

that set isnt quite a 5 hit
 Shiva.Schatzie
Server: Shiva
user: itemset
By Shiva.Schatzie 2012-01-23 02:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Lyonard said: »

my idea was to keep a 5tp set up while adding some DA ( i should reach 23% da with /war ) on tp phase...

i am new of sam and i was thinking to work on masamune.... do you think this set could be anyway good?
correct me if im wrong, that looks like it would inhibit your ws set quite a bit as you would need STP gears in the ws set to make up the stp
 Lakshmi.Lyonard
user: Lyonard
By Lakshmi.Lyonard 2012-01-23 02:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Schatzie said: »

correct me if im wrong, that looks like it would inhibit your ws set quite a bit as you would need STP gears in the ws set to make up the stp

being fair i have no clue.... i always played only rng and nin as jobs and i just wanted to try the sam just to change the routine :)

anyway about my set , i did the stp calc with ffxicalc... and i seen that was a 5tp hit set up with +47 tp on gear ( and 5/5 stp merits)... how many stp do i need to make this a 5tp/hit?
 Sylph.Ballzack
Server: Sylph
user: Achelies
By Sylph.Ballzack 2012-01-23 03:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I didnt quite understand that question but what you have now is a 5hit and you would need 11 STP on WS to keep the 5hit. Granted your gonna WS in Rajas/Brutal need to come up with 5 more STP in your WS set
 Odin.Zelphes
Server: Odin
user: Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2012-01-23 04:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Like Ballzack here mentioned, that set would allow you to keep your 5-hit if you WS with af3 legs - for Shoha atleast.
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-01-23 09:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

my idea was to keep a 5tp set up while adding some DA ( i should reach 23% da with /war ) on tp phase... i am new of sam and i was thinking to work on masamune.... do you think this set could be anyway good?

Its a very good setup, but not the best. Remember if you DA you can't proc Zanshin.
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-23 16:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Any input on this would be welcome. The set is built so it's a 5 hit even if second hit from Shoha misses.

TP

WS

Can use a second pyrosoul instead of Rajas, but I only have 1.
 Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay
Server: Gilgamesh
user: leeroyjay
By Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay 2012-01-23 16:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Can someone help a returnee (”quit” after level 90, came back when 99 was available) to the game with STP numbers for SAM at level 99? Back in the day with SAM at level 75 and a Hagun (450), I used to know the required STP numbers (5-hit) for TP and WS gear sets given a single-hit WS like Gekko or Kasha (not that I understood the math but rather I read the numbers here or on BG).

When we got level 90, I made a TP Bonus Keitonotachi, basically created a new Hagun since I don't play very often (it took less than 2 days solo) and don't have the support for a Masamume. Then Shoha was added and was fortunate I already had the TP Bonus GK, and have since finished making a Kantonotachi.

I tried using ffxicalc, but didn’t understand how to fill it out to answer the questions in the next paragraph. I got the Base Delay and Haste & STP boxes filled out, but I didn’t understand what to do in the Weapon Skill TP area and how that related to the Total Delay & TP Per Hit calculations.

So given a Kantonotachi (464), Full STP merits (10) and level 99 SAM (30), what are the required STP numbers (5-hit – I assume this is what I should aim for?) for TP and WS gear sets assuming Shoha (two-hit WS)? What does the STP number (5-hit) for WS gear change to assuming a single-hit WS?

Thank you in advance, as I have read plenty of information on these questions assuming a Masa or Amano, so either I missed the discussion with a Kanto (if so, can someone provide a link?) and those of us who are currently unable to acquire a Masa will greatly appreciate the help!
 Lakshmi.Rearden
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-01-23 17:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

24 with merits to get 20.0/hit. dont worry about the other ***if you're only looking at an xhit build.
 Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay
By Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay 2012-01-23 18:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rearden said: »
24 with merits to get 20.0/hit. dont worry about the other ***if you're only looking at an xhit build.

Is that 24 STP in gear during TP? If so, then how much STP in Shoha WS gear, and say, Kasha WS gear?

Edit 2: If this would be a 5-hit build, is it possible/worth it to look at a 4-hit build? If so, how much STP in TP gear would that require? Based on the STP number of 24 that you provided, I was able to enter this into ffxicalc and figure that to 4-hit, I would need 65 STP in TP gear, so probably not worth it since I would lose so many other stats in other slots?

And/Or are their other builds that I should consider (based on your comment about "only looking at an xhit build")?

Thank you for the quick reply!
 Lakshmi.Rearden
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-01-23 19:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If I'm understanding what you want to know, assuming both Shoha hits connect any STP amount more than 24 will maintain a 5 hit (4 hit post WS) (Assuming WS gear includes Rose/Brutal/Rajas)

Missing 1 hit nets you 18.3TP after WS, I don't necessarily gear myself to account for missing a hit though. I'm not sure what gear sets you'd want to use as I use a 437 delay GKT so it's a little different, but you should be able to both 5-hit and cap haste and there are a few different ways to get there.
 Lakshmi.Rearden
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-01-23 20:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you'd be safe with this and you can use aces feet if you haven't been blessed with ramparts.

Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay
By Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay 2012-01-23 21:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you'd be safe with this and you can use aces feet if you haven't been blessed with ramparts.

Thank you for the reply. In this set, it looks like 41 STP, is that in case one of the Shoha hits misses, the extra STP will maintain 5-hit even with only 1 Shoha hit landing? (Plus your GK has a lower delay therefore needs a bit more STP to maintain xhit?)

For a Kantonotachi (464 delay) is 10 STP in WS gear the minimum needed to maintain 5-hit (assuming both hits land), so that's why you recommend "Assuming WS gear includes Rose/Brutal/Rajas"?

Edit: For clarity, my questions all revolve around this GK:
Kantonotachi

So priority for gearing SAM for TP is: 1) enough STP for xhit 2) reach or get as close to haste cap (26% in gear since rounding) 3) some mix of ATK/STR/ACC?

Did I miss anything else as far as optimizing gear?
 Shiva.Schatzie
Server: Shiva
user: itemset
By Shiva.Schatzie 2012-01-24 03:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

not to be rude, but isnt that the GK that comes before masa in trials? /confused
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-25 06:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay said: »

Thank you for the reply. In this set, it looks like 41 STP, is that in case one of the Shoha hits misses, the extra STP will maintain 5-hit even with only 1 Shoha hit landing? (Plus your GK has a lower delay therefore needs a bit more STP to maintain xhit?)

For a Kantonotachi (464 delay) is 10 STP in WS gear the minimum needed to maintain 5-hit (assuming both hits land), so that's why you recommend "Assuming WS gear includes Rose/Brutal/Rajas"?

Edit: For clarity, my questions all revolve around this GK:
Kantonotachi

So priority for gearing SAM for TP is: 1) enough STP for xhit 2) reach or get as close to haste cap (26% in gear since rounding) 3) some mix of ATK/STR/ACC?

Did I miss anything else as far as optimizing gear?

Been a couple days so I guess I'll try to help. For Kantonotachi you only need 30 stp in gear, and this is assuming the only stp gear you have in your WS set is brutal earring (and of course capped merits).
This is what you should probably be aiming for, anyone can feel free to make adjustments if necessary.

TP:

WS:
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-01-25 12:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

20 Umbra for 99 Amano

60 Cinder for 99 Masa

Phoenix.Rizzspeed
Server: Phoenix
user: Rizzspeed
By Phoenix.Rizzspeed 2012-01-25 12:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »
20 Umbra for 99 Amano

60 Cinder for 99 Masa

is this confirmed?
cuz this would be awesome
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-01-25 12:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

60 Cinder is awesome.

20 Umbra is not.
 Phoenix.Rizzspeed
Server: Phoenix
user: Rizzspeed
By Phoenix.Rizzspeed 2012-01-25 12:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering that i have a masamune, that's the awesome part that i was referring to. Already not looking forward to collecting 1500 plates >.>.
But the drop from 1500 items to just 60 is sort of a relief. Even if they will tend to be more expensive individually.

20 Arch Dyna Lord drops would depend on the drop rate i would imagine. Also the gathering of all the tomes necessary to pop him. Once again making the relic the more difficult weapon to fully upgrade.
 Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay
By Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay 2012-01-25 14:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
For Kantonotachi you only need 30 stp in gear, and this is assuming the only stp gear you have in your WS set is brutal earring (and of course capped merits).
This is what you should probably be aiming for, anyone can feel free to make adjustments if necessary.

TP:

WS:

Thank you for putting together these example sets.

If I understand correctly (assuming level 99 SAM, full STP merits, and Kanto), TP gear needs to have 30 STP, which then allows Shoha WS gear to only have to keep 1 STP (Brutal)?

And based on this quote from another SAM topic:

Siren.Seiri said: »
Kanto needs 28 stp when WSing in 10 stp (rajas, rose strap, brutal), allowing for much greater flexibility in tp set. More DA, more acc (will have substantial returns on top end VW) and the like.

It sounds like another option would be (assuming level 99 SAM, full STP merits, and Kanto), TP gear needs to have 28 STP, which then allows Shoha WS gear to only have to keep 10 STP?

From these 2 examples, it looks like the amount of STP in TP gear affects the necessary STP in WS gear. Is it possible to work the other direction, say if you only planned on 6 STP in WS gear, to calculate how much STP is required in TP gear?

Edit: I attempted to do the maths for this and got 36 STP in TP gear to use 6 STP in WS gear (I think the math was given a 1hit WS, so it should work for Shoha, just have extra TP if both hits land, otherwise have just enough if one of Shoha's hits misses?)
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-01-25 15:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Rizzspeed said: »
Considering that i have a masamune, that's the awesome part that i was referring to. Already not looking forward to collecting 1500 plates >.>. But the drop from 1500 items to just 60 is sort of a relief. Even if they will tend to be more expensive individually. 20 Arch Dyna Lord drops would depend on the drop rate i would imagine. Also the gathering of all the tomes necessary to pop him. Once again making the relic the more difficult weapon to fully upgrade.

Yeah. Kinda raging right now.

And gearing up to go work on Masa. I love my Amano. And my Samurai is number one to me. But at this juncture, my time will be better spent improving my Samurai by working up Masamune and Yoichinoyumi to an acceptable level until/if/when they adjust this.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-25 15:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It sounds like another option would be (assuming level 99 SAM, full STP merits, and Kanto), TP gear needs to have 28 STP, which then allows Shoha WS gear to only have to keep 10 STP?
Yes.

From these 2 examples, it looks like the amount of STP in TP gear affects the necessary STP in WS gear. Is it possible to work the other direction, say if you only planned on 6 STP in WS gear, to calculate how much STP is required in TP gear?
That's the way I usually do it. You first calculate how much STP you have in your WS set which is [12.2 * 1.(STP)]. Don't forget about the STP from job traits/merits too (40). Subtract that number from 100 and divide by 4. That is how much TP per hit you need. I'm sure there's an easier way to do this next part, but after that just play with stp numbers until the result is higher than how much TP per hit you need [12.2 * 1.(STP)]
If someone could word that better for me that would be appreciated.
 Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay
By Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay 2012-01-25 16:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Excellent, thank you for your guidance!

I also used this link to help:

http://killingifrit.com/forums/topic/179833-store-tp-and-you/

That's the way I usually do it. You first calculate how much STP you have in your WS set which is [12.2 * 1.(STP)]. Don't forget about the STP from job traits/merits too (40). Subtract that number from 100 and divide by 4. That is how much TP per hit you need.

Edit: I noticed in my math I divided by 5, is that the STP for a 5hit, and dividing by 4 would give you the STP for a 4hit? Also, in my math I added the 40 STP (from job trait/merits) in the WS STP calculation:

11.5 + [(464 - 450) * 1.5 / 30] = 12.2

1.4 * 12.2 = 17.0(8)

WS = 40 (job trait & merits) + 1 (Brutal) + 5 (Rajas) = 46 (6 STP in WS from gear)

1.46 * 12.2 = 17.8(12)

100 - 17.8 = 82.2

82.2 / 5 = 16.44 -> 16.5 TP per hit

16.5 / 12.2 = 1.3524 -> 36 STP in TP gear
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-25 16:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The WS is considered 1 hit. Only need 4 more after that, which is where dividing by 4 comes from.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-25 16:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

My apologies if we're confusing the terms '5-hit' and '4-hit'. Everyone on this forum has been using the term '5-hit' for WS > 4 hits = 100% TP so that's what I've been going off of.
 Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay
By Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay 2012-01-25 16:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The WS is considered 1 hit. Only need 4 more after that, which is where dividing by 4 comes from.

Ok, so given that, and changing the math to divide by 4 instead:

11.5 + [(464 - 450) * 1.5 / 30] = 12.2

1.4 * 12.2 = 17.0(8)

WS = 40 (job trait & merits) + 1 (Brutal) + 5 (Rajas) = 46 (6 STP in WS from gear)

1.46 * 12.2 = 17.8(12)

100 - 17.8 = 82.2

82.2 / 4 = 20.55 -> 20.6 TP per hit

20.6 / 12.2 = 1.6885 -> 69 STP

So 69 STP needed during TP, do I subtract out the 40 from that to get how much is needed in gear alone?
69 - 40 = 29 STP in gear?
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-25 16:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah.
 Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay
By Gilgamesh.Leeroyjay 2012-01-25 17:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for the clarification and all of the help with the maths!
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 52 53 54