Catastrophe Set Help.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Catastrophe set help.
Catastrophe set help.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-30 16:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

because it was shiny and new and... doesn't... particularly look that cool, but apparently looks baller
 Asura.Fondue
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2012-07-30 16:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

it would have been cool if someone remembered to put agility on it! but nooooooooooooooooooooo

in the process of remeriting entropy :| might as well as much as I'm on drk
 Bahamut.Disguise
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Disguise 2012-07-30 16:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fondue said: »
it would have been cool if someone remembered to put agility on it! but nooooooooooooooooooooo

in the process of remeriting entropy :| might as well as much as I'm on drk
I merited for that reason too, however having a 99 Apoc with a 40% ws bonus, I can never get entropy to compare with my Cata WS damage.
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2012-07-30 16:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I didnt have it at 5/5 that long and mines 99 too so I wasnt using it that much to begin with, when souleater was up? lol I was never sure what situations it would be better to use entropy in :\ but sitting at adl with 0 mp and seeing READIES DYNAMIC IMPLOSION > you have no mp>youhavenomp>youHAVENOMP angers me when 1 entropy would fill my mp
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-07-30 16:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Disguise said: »
I'm currently using this for Cata:

However, I just recently got a Drachenhorn and was wondering if that will be a better head to WS in?

Twilight has AGI + 10 not drachenhorn.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Mnkk 2012-07-30 17:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Taint said: »
Apoc needs to be 99 to be competitive at this point.
I see. Every time i think about doing my 99 vere ( i have all the stuff ) i dont think its a great investment, on the other hand i cant think of any other item in the game i would want. i have considered 99 bruvura war or 99apoc+99Rag drk, but again... not to thrilled about it. Considered h2h mythic but it would take me 5-6 months alone just to meet the requirements to obtain it -alex.

I might do the 99 rag 99 apoc tho... out of all other things (besides the 99 vere) it seems like the best option.
 Bahamut.Disguise
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Disguise 2012-07-30 17:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the only 2 Empyreans worth getting to 99 are the Ukon or harp.

As for relics, Rag, Apoc, Amano are a few I can think of worth it.
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-07-30 17:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Disguise said: »
I think the only 2 Empyreans worth getting to 99 are the Ukon or harp.

As for relics, Rag, Apoc, Amano are a few I can think of worth it.

99Vere is one of the best weapons in this game.

99Vere,Ukon,Masa,Harp are all pretty badass with the weapons being the best for each class.

Amano and Apoc both need to be 99 to be worth it. Rag is fine at 95. (ofcourse 99 Rag doesn't hurt anything)
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2012-08-04 01:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Could i just suffice with Bale Legs+2 or some other legs since I have practically no luck with Ogier's?
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-08-04 01:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said: »
Could i just suffice with Bale Legs+2 or some other legs since I have practically no luck with Ogier's?

If you can afford them, Huginn hose until you have Ogier. Otherwise go for bale + 2. You should as well spam Gaunab.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2012-08-04 01:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »

If you can afford them, Huginn hose until you have Ogier. Otherwise go for bale + 2. You should as well spam Gaunab.
Alright, I'll take this into consideration. Apparently no one except this one dude wants to do Gaunab on my server anymore }:
 Bismarck.Zagen
Server: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2012-08-04 14:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought I'd ask for some suggestions on my intermediate sets.

I do Voidwatch through shouts and well Houyi's Gorget is the best I've gotten so far.

Haven't done NNI yet, no shouts or I would have tried by now but my LS is trying to get setup to aim for 80 floor runs at first.

TP AM Down 6 hit

WS

TP AM Up 5 hit

Nuevo Coselete with STP+4/DA+2 seemed like a decent placeholder. Going to replace Hoard with Tyrant's Ring but all my gil is going into shells so ya on the list :)

Gil isn't much of an issue as once I'm done with shells for Apoc I'll have all that from dynamis to help heh. Twilight Body has eluded me thus far so that's why it isn't in my sets but from what I've read it seems Grim+1 is on par with it, maybe not with my sets.

So pretty much if it's off the AH or something that could be trioed that I missed please let me know :) Thanks!
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2012-08-04 15:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can get Phorcys Body from Neo Nyzul, that's a good option as well for Cata.
 Bismarck.Zagen
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2012-08-04 17:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can get Phorcys Body from Neo Nyzul, that's a good option as well for Cata.
Cool and I assume the 5% WS Bonus from Rheic korazin +3 would also trump grim +1? Seems likely that I might get it if we get good at 80 clears before 25 wins, well maybe I'm way off on thinking that but seems logical based on what little I know about NNI.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-08-04 18:45:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, Rheic korazin +3 would be better aswell, probably even the +2 tbh :P
First things you should really focus on is getting af3+2 head and hands, as they'r both really easy upgrades.
And once you get Phorcys and\or rheic +3 stuff 5hitting should be way easier, and worth it even in am-down set.
Your cata set is'nt too shabby, just keep doing VW to get ogier's breeches and dilaram's sollerets(for when you need atk) and then the obvious body\hands upgrades from NNI when possible.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [38 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-09-12 06:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Your text to link here...

I find this set better than the one with ogier's breeches and bomb core. Less attack but more STR. This is my opinion though, i could be wrong but i noticed better dmg on mobs with high def/vit.

Question is : would huginn legs be better than bale flanchard +2?

I'm thinking about getting a pyrosoul ring to replace spiral ring, Rajas won't move in order to keep my X built.
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-09-12 07:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Your text to link here...

I find this set better than the one with ogier's breeches and bomb core. Less attack but more STR. This is my opinion though, i could be wrong but i noticed better dmg on mobs with high def/vit.

Question is : would huginn legs be better than bale flanchard +2?

I'm thinking about getting a pyrosoul ring to replace spiral ring, Rajas won't move in order to keep my X built.

Bombcore is replaceable. Ogier's are not.
 Asura.Jem
user: Jemmy
By Asura.Jem 2012-09-12 07:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you had hideous accuracy then Huginn Hose should always beat Bale Flanchard +2 (even at hideous acc it's close). 10 INT is going to be 3-4 WSC whereas 2 STR will only give 0-1 fSTR.

The situations where Ogier's lose to Huginn would rely on you having awful fSTR, awful attack and getting the absolute most out of Huginn's stats (i.e. full fSTR and WSC amounts) You're relying on 2-3 fSTR and 3-4 WSC and 2 attack to overcome 3% WSD. The situations where that occurs are going to be against stuff where your damage is that pitiful you realistically shouldn't be hitting it.

If you're against high def/vit mobs then Bomb Core should beat out Fracas anyway since increasing your attack will do more than increasing fSTR (unless for some reason your fSTR sucks but your attack does not). It's actually the reverse of what you said where you should be looking to switch i.e. when you already have high attack but your fSTR may not be capped.

Personally I wouldn't swap Spiral for Pyrosoul. Pyrosoul's extra 2 STR gives 0-1 fSTR and 1-2 attack. Spiral's 5 INT is 1-2 WSC. So best case scenario is Pyrosoul wins by 1-2 attack. It will lose more often than it wins and when it loses, it's by more damage. And the scenarios where it wins require you to know your fSTR to make sure that it does. If Spiral gives 2 WSC (which you can work out from your stats) then I can't see Pyrosoul ever winning regardless.

EDIT: Get a Pyrosoul anyway though. You have a Calad so need one for when you use Resolution.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-09-12 08:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jem said: »

I like you. You should post more.
 Asura.Jem
By Asura.Jem 2012-09-12 08:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I would but the ego, stubbornness and misinformation that flies around this place at times makes my eyes bleed.

I guess I'm just disillusioned with the bandwagon DRK's who act like DRK was always their main and that they know better than anyone else.

Plus I say stuff like this post which generally riles people up and I can never be bothered arguing with people about it. Case in point, our Nyzul video getting us villified when it was made to prove you did not need clipper to win back when people maintained you had to (Disclaimer: some of my group used DAT swaps).
[+]
 Lakshmi.Santoro
Server: Lakshmi
user: Fukinder
By Lakshmi.Santoro 2012-09-12 08:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
I like you. You should post more.
I second that
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-09-12 09:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick question i wana get rid of a merit ws for another ive got apoc so merited entropy and i also have resolution. Should i rely just on cata or should i un-merit resolution? Not gear set related bit still about drk. Reluctant to unmerit entropy just because it does more than cata.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-09-12 09:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I would but the ego, stubbornness and misinformation that flies around this place at times makes my eyes bleed. I guess I'm just disillusioned with the bandwagon DRK's who act like DRK was always their main and that they know better than anyone else. Plus I say stuff like this post which generally riles people up and I can never be bothered arguing with people about it. Case in point, our Nyzul video getting us villified when it was made to prove you did not need clipper to win back when people maintained you had to (Disclaimer: some of my group used DAT swaps).

That's why they need you..... Because we're the heroes Vana'diel deserves, but not the ones it needs right now...and so they'll hunt us, because we can take it. Because we're not heroes. We're silent guardians, watchful protectors... dark knights...
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-09-12 09:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I'm just disillusioned with the bandwagon DRK's who act like DRK was always their main and that they know better than anyone else.
Join the club. We have T-shirts.
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-09-12 12:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I didn't try ogier's breeches with fracas grenade, i'll make a third ws set.

Last i've checked switching from ogier's+bomb core to bale legs+fracas was 3 or 5 less attack but 17 more STR.
Same amount of INT and AGI.

Thing is :
Set Ogier's+bomb core STR 106+59 before hasso and RCB+1 (106+73)
Set Bale+fracas grenade STR 106+76 (106+90)

I don't know how you can assume that I have poor attack when I'm posting my itemset.

I understand that 3% WSD has a huge impact on the dmg dealt, but i'm starting to think that ogier's is really far ahead when you have apoc 99 and the 40% cata's bonus. My apoc is still 95 atm.

You can call me bandwagon DRK if you want, people who know me can remember how harassing I was with my DRK even when the job was at the bottom of the class.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-09-12 12:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I didn't try ogier's breeches with fracas grenade, i'll make a third ws set. Last i've checked switching from ogier's+bomb core to bale legs+fracas was 3 or 5 less attack but 17 more STR. Same amount of INT and AGI. Thing is : Set Ogier's+bomb core STR 106+59 before hasso and RCB+1 (106+73) Set Bale+fracas grenade STR 106+76 (106+90) I don't know how you can assume that I have poor attack when I'm posting my itemset. I understand that 3% WSD has a huge impact on the dmg dealt, but i'm starting to think that ogier's is really far ahead when you have apoc 99 and the 40% cata's bonus. My apoc is still 95 atm. You can call me bandwagon DRK if you want, people who know me can remember how harassing I was with my DRK even when the job was at the bottom of the class.

I took him as saying the opposite. The 3% ws damage is largely noticeable BECAUSE you're on drk and have copious amounts of attack. I suppose if you were setting up a high attack/str set for situational usage there are many changes you could do, but if you're only making 1 ws set I would definitely use ogiers.

Odin.Creaucent said: »
Quick question i wana get rid of a merit ws for another ive got apoc so merited entropy and i also have resolution. Should i rely just on cata or should i un-merit resolution? Not gear set related bit still about drk. Reluctant to unmerit entropy just because it does more than cata.

I still have entropy and my apoc is 99. It's very niche but I do still use it from time to time. Souleater entropy can still put out relatively decent numbers, but I really only use it for mp-restore. ADL gets off an occaisional mp-drainga or ill be moving around an event on the fly without enough time in idle gear to regain my mp.

If you feel having it merited hinders you on another job I wouldn't keep it merited. However, if you do keep it you will never hear me blaming you.
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-09-12 13:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Well, I didn't try ogier's breeches with fracas grenade, i'll make a third ws set. Last i've checked switching from ogier's+bomb core to bale legs+fracas was 3 or 5 less attack but 17 more STR. Same amount of INT and AGI. Thing is : Set Ogier's+bomb core STR 106+59 before hasso and RCB+1 (106+73) Set Bale+fracas grenade STR 106+76 (106+90) I don't know how you can assume that I have poor attack when I'm posting my itemset. I understand that 3% WSD has a huge impact on the dmg dealt, but i'm starting to think that ogier's is really far ahead when you have apoc 99 and the 40% cata's bonus. My apoc is still 95 atm. You can call me bandwagon DRK if you want, people who know me can remember how harassing I was with my DRK even when the job was at the bottom of the class.

I took him as saying the opposite. The 3% ws damage is largely noticeable BECAUSE you're on drk and have copious amounts of attack. I suppose if you were setting up a high attack/str set for situational usage there are many changes you could do, but if you're only making 1 ws set I would definitely use ogiers.

Odin.Creaucent said: »

I still have entropy and my apoc is 99. It's very niche but I do still use it from time to time. Souleater entropy can still put out relatively decent numbers, but I really only use it for mp-restore. ADL gets off an occaisional mp-drainga or ill be moving around an event on the fly without enough time in idle gear to regain my mp.

If you feel having it merited hinders you on another job I wouldn't keep it merited. However, if you do keep it you will never hear me blaming you.

That's why i'm using multiple ws sets, I know how good Ogier's are. Stricly gears to gears they are superior to bale or even huginn.
 Bismarck.Hsieh
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2012-09-12 14:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

My luck sucks with Ogier pieces. Been trying to get hands and legs.
 Asura.Jem
By Asura.Jem 2012-09-12 18:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I didn't try ogier's breeches with fracas grenade, i'll make a third ws set.

Last i've checked switching from ogier's+bomb core to bale legs+fracas was 3 or 5 less attack but 17 more STR.
Same amount of INT and AGI.

Thing is :
Set Ogier's+bomb core STR 106+59 before hasso and RCB+1 (106+73)
Set Bale+fracas grenade STR 106+76 (106+90)

I don't know how you can assume that I have poor attack when I'm posting my itemset.

I understand that 3% WSD has a huge impact on the dmg dealt, but i'm starting to think that ogier's is really far ahead when you have apoc 99 and the 40% cata's bonus. My apoc is still 95 atm.

You can call me bandwagon DRK if you want, people who know me can remember how harassing I was with my DRK even when the job was at the bottom of the class.

Thing is it isn't 3-5 attack versus 17 STR. It's 3-5 attack and 3% WSD. 17 STR looks like a lot but in reality it's 4-5 fSTR as you've already done the attack conversion. 4-5fSTR will not raise your damage by 3% whether your Apoc is 95 or 99. It wouldn't even at 75 after WSC was factored in too. It would be different if Cata had a STR mod but it doesn't.

I didn't say you had poor attack. What I said was conditional which is always going to be the case with gear. But you did mention high def/vit mobs so if forced to, I would naturally assume uncapped attack since otherwise there's no point as specifying the mob that way.

And I wasn't actually referring to you with the bandwagon comment, it was just a general comment in reply to Ashman's comment. If I had meant you I wouldn't have made any attempt to help you, certainly not in detail.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-09-12 21:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply