Drk WS question
First Page 2 3
 Siren.Mallicard
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Mallicard
By Siren.Mallicard 2011-10-31 14:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so it has been a while since I was serious about drk. Lets assume non empyrean/relic weapons and abyssea only with any atma's. Back in the day it was something like this:

Guillotine, for weak mobs with gearing for attack then str.

Spinning Slash, for harder mobs gearing for str.

This is mostly just for exp mobs, nothing too serious. I don't know if there is any other ws that are decent now in abyssea, I haven't been following drk subjects much and most topics are about empyrean
By volkom 2011-10-31 14:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

that sounds about right~ guillotine and spinning slash

maybe groundstrike *shrug*
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-10-31 14:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm tempted to say rampage would be good(in abyssea). Pretty sure you could hit 5k and stuff, no clue what axes you have access to though.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-10-31 15:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mallicard said: »
Ok so it has been a while since I was serious about drk. Lets assume non empyrean/relic weapons and abyssea only with any atma's. Back in the day it was something like this: Guillotine, for weak mobs with gearing for attack then str. Spinning Slash, for harder mobs gearing for str. This is mostly just for exp mobs, nothing too serious. I don't know if there is any other ws that are decent now in abyssea, I haven't been following drk subjects much and most topics are about empyrean

Pretty much. Scythe on squishy mobs, and then GS on super high defense, high vit.

If you have empyreans then reverse that (I know, counterintuitive).
 Siren.Mallicard
user: Mallicard
By Siren.Mallicard 2011-10-31 20:41:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Glad to see nothing has changed. >.>
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-11-01 00:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
If you have empyreans then great sword all day every day.
Because time spent doing Chloris (scythe) is time you could be spending on Apoc. Obviously if you already have the weapon then disregard but this is moreso for the OP should they ever pursue a relic/emp.
By Makado 2011-11-01 00:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Make a Masamune and everyone go sam.
By Makado 2011-11-01 00:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Smn burn FTW lev smn get emp avatar GODLY! 1st it was an 1/8th now it's not an 1/8th.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-11-01 02:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

OP is pretty much right on the dot

Before I got Caladbolg, I noticed that Spinning Slash did a lot better than Guillotine against mid-tier Abyssea NMs at most. Damage kind of plummets on Higher-tier NMs after that unless you buff yourself out with Stalwarts, Attack food and the like.

For Atmas, I go with Razed Ruins, Alpha and Omega and Apocalypse for Great Sword. Don't worry about your STR for WS mod, since it will probably be auto-capped anyway from Cruor Buffs.
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2011-11-01 03:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Because time spent doing Chloris (scythe) is time you could be spending on Apoc. Obviously if you already have the weapon then disregard but this is moreso for the OP should they ever pursue a relic/emp.

Time spent in abyssea for empyrean could have been spent in dyna for relic.
People spend their time as they want since they pay for it.
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2011-11-01 03:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »

Plus i don't know why you're waisting your LS' time when Carabosse's path could be duo/trio in few days.
Server: Asura
By Asura.Leonlionheart 2011-11-01 03:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Plus i don't know why you're waisting your LS' time when Abyssea could be duo/trio in few days.

ftfy
[+]
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-11-01 04:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

wow, thats deep
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2011-11-01 04:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Leonlionheart said: »
Plus i don't know why you're waisting your LS' time when Abyssea could be duo/trio in few days.

ftfy

Actually, you're right.
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2011-11-01 04:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skadoosh said: »

wow, thats deep

/sigh
 Siren.Satsui
user: Satsui
By Siren.Satsui 2011-11-08 14:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

What is driving me crazy is everyone riding Calabolg. Not saying it isn't a good Weapon. Most people who assume its better than Apocalypse don't understand the concept of Apoc. Other threads keep going on about how Catastrophe Haste should be JA or Magic haste instead of gear. Well that is just stupid. The point of it being Gear Haste is so you don't have to melee in a full Haste setup. IE Full DRK+2. Why melee in Homam pants when you can rock out the Flanchard +2. I understand most people can't make scythe work but my shell popped Nidhogg the other day and i dropped a 3.6k Guillotine using Twilight Scythe. I'll finish my Apocalypse in a matter of a few more weeks.
Flame me if you want but if Torcleaver only averages 2.5k In Einherjar then that is pretty bad. I do that with Guillotine and Insurgency.
Oh and the 3.6k with with Red Curry Bun, Souleater, Last Resort, and Hasso. Didn't have a BRD or COR.
Twilight Scythe/PoleGrip/Fire Bomblet, Twilight Helm, Bale Choker, Bale Earring/Brutal Earring, Tilight Mail, Heafoc Mitts, Pyrosoul/Rajas, Atheling Mantle, Snow Belt, Bale Flanchard +2, Bale Sollerets +2

If you're a DRK I love you no matter what weapon you use <3. If you like GS rock Calabolg. If you love Scythe *** Redemption and get an Apocalypse ^_^v
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-11-08 14:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Satsui said: »
What is driving me crazy is everyone riding Calabolg. Not saying it isn't a good Weapon. Most people who assume its better than Apocalypse don't understand the concept of Apoc. Other threads keep going on about how Catastrophe Haste should be JA or Magic haste instead of gear. Well that is just stupid. The point of it being Gear Haste is so you don't have to melee in a full Haste setup. IE Full DRK+2. Why melee in Homam pants when you can rock out the Flanchard +2. I understand most people can't make scythe work but my shell popped Nidhogg the other day and i dropped a 3.6k Guillotine using Twilight Scythe. I'll finish my Apocalypse in a matter of a few more weeks.
Flame me if you want but if Torcleaver only averages 2.5k In Einherjar then that is pretty bad. I do that with Guillotine and Insurgency.
Oh and the 3.6k with with Red Curry Bun, Souleater, Last Resort, and Hasso. Didn't have a BRD or COR.
Twilight Scythe/PoleGrip/Fire Bomblet, Twilight Helm, Bale Choker, Bale Earring/Brutal Earring, Tilight Mail, Heafoc Mitts, Pyrosoul/Rajas, Atheling Mantle, Snow Belt, Bale Flanchard +2, Bale Sollerets +2

If you're a DRK I love you no matter what weapon you use <3. If you like GS rock Calabolg. If you love Scythe *** Redemption and get an Apocalypse ^_^v

IMO the best part of Caladbolg is the DoT with ODD up. Coupled with Last Resort/Haste Spell/Marches(? havent had brd in a long time). It's major strength relies in DoT more then weaponskill damage.(Constant 2.5k is nothing bad though!)

Don't expect it to put out the same damage as Ukko's

Of course Guillotine is going to spike high with Last Resort and Soul Eater(Multi Hit Weaponskills are sick with SoulEater). It honestly looks like you are eye balling guillo #s though. :S

Guillotine is amazing with Soul Eater up period.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 14:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Guillotine doesnt average 2.5k on anything, especially not anything serious. Mathematically it is inferior to Torcleaver in every way, and not to mention Caladbolgs DoT will blow a guillotine DRK out of the water.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-11-08 14:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said: »
Guillotine doesnt average 2.5k on anything, especially not anything serious. Mathematically it is inferior to Torcleaver in every way, and not to mention Caladbolgs DoT will blow a guillotine DRK out of the water.

I'm really looking forward to Caladbolg. Looks like I'll be stuck with Byrnie+1 though for Torcleaver(QQA Still didn't drop..)
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 14:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said: »

I'm really looking forward to Caladbolg. Looks like I'll be stuck with Byrnie+1 though for Torcleaver(QQA Still didn't drop..)

Atleast the drop rates better now though, if you do AR everyday for a week you should atleast see 1-2 Ares 35 bodies.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-11-08 15:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Atleast the drop rates better now though, if you do AR everyday for a week you should atleast see 1-2 Ares 35 bodies.
Drop rate increase only works on things you're not trying for. :( 6 35 kabuto and not a single thing off the turtle last week for my group.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-11-08 15:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

A bigger cockblocker is Phobos's Cuirass now... I went 1/2 on the Deimos's cuirass, but 0/19 on Phobos's. Quit before actually finishing it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »

Drop rate increase only works on things you're not trying for. :( 6 35 kabuto and not a single thing off the turtle last week for my group.

You have Two shots at Ares body though in AR vs. 1 shot at Usu body in SSR. Morri robe you get like 4 chances <.< totally seen 3 robes in 1 run before lol x:
 Siren.Satsui
By Siren.Satsui 2011-11-08 15:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Either way its a Calabolg vs an Apocalypse debate that is pissing me off. What is considered Serious? Lol Voidwatch? I play on Xbox so i have to eyeball. Einherjar for example weak end 1.5k high end 3k. If Catastrophe really out dmgs Guillotine now I'll be happy as hell. Like I said though. Calabolg is a good weapon but its not comparable with Apocalyspe. Apoc was never about WS dmg. Its DoT. If we're talking Abyssea my melee crit hits are around 775. Apoc 95 with 26 more base dmg than my Twilight would put me where? Near 1k a swing? Where is Calabolg at? Not to mention i can rock out Bale+2 for the set bonus.

Apocalypse is a DoT and was always ment to be so.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
A bigger cockblocker is Phobos's Cuirass now... I went 1/2 on the Deimos's cuirass, but 0/19 on Phobos's. Quit before actually finishing it.

^ This so much.

25s are horrid.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-11-08 15:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

^ This so much.

25s are horrid.

Otherway around for me. Sitting on the 25. And I end up 0/100ish for the 35. No joke
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Either way its a Calabolg vs an Apocalypse debate that is pissing me off. What is considered Serious? Lol Voidwatch? I play on Xbox so i have to eyeball. Einherjar for example weak end 1.5k high end 3k. If Catastrophe really out dmgs Guillotine now I'll be happy as hell. Like I said though. Calabolg is a good weapon but its not comparable with Apocalyspe. Apoc was never about WS dmg. Its DoT. If we're talking Abyssea my melee crit hits are around 775. Apoc 95 with 26 more base dmg than my Twilight would put me where? Near 1k a swing? Where is Calabolg at? Not to mention i can rock out Bale+2 for the set bonus.

Apocalypse is a DoT and was always ment to be so.

Calad Vs Apoc depends completely on how much you are getting out of Apocs ACC, although I will admit with the ODD bonus the gap is closed a little bit more now.

If you are in a situation where ACC literally does not matter, Caladbolg is going to come on top, once ACC starts mattering Apoc will start to ***on Caladbolg.

Although if we are talking raw damage Ragnarok says hi.

Also full Bale +2 is fail and far from the ideal AM set an Apoc DRK should be using.

Personally outside of Abyssea I use a 5-hit for my Apocalypse, inside due to TP overflow I would use a 6-hit and a AM build (not 5/5).
 Siren.Satsui
By Siren.Satsui 2011-11-08 15:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Plus I've been told that Bale+2 Set bonus can stack with ODD from Apoc. They could just be blowing smoke out of their *** but yeah. They have an Apoc so I'm hoping they told me the truth lol.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Plus I've been told that Bale+2 Set bonus can stack with ODD from Apoc. They could just be blowing smoke out of their *** but yeah. They have an Apoc so I'm hoping they told me the truth lol.

It does, but its still not worth using 5/5.
First Page 2 3