users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Drk WS question
Drk WS question
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-11-08 15:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't listen to Gradd, Real Apoc Drk's full time Bale+2.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Don't listen to Gradd, Real Apoc Drk's full time Bale+2.

Inorite.
 Siren.Satsui
Server: Siren
user: Satsui
By Siren.Satsui 2011-11-08 15:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe you can shine some light on average Catastrophe DMG for me then?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-11-08 15:17:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
If you have empyreans then great sword all day every day.
Because time spent doing Chloris (scythe) is time you could be spending on Apoc. Obviously if you already have the weapon then disregard but this is moreso for the OP should they ever pursue a relic/emp.

You'd use Caladbolg over Redemption on all VW fights? I could have make apoc in the time it took to do chloris? ***... if i can do a relic in a week with 4 people I could be minidragon by now.....

I understand where you're coming from but what I said was still a valid answer to the question he posed. I also don't think great sword 100% of the time is prudent even with only caladbolg.

If your gross hyperbole was intended as humor then my appologies. I'm bad at distinguishing context through text.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Satsui said: »

After getting Apoc to 90 the Average will sit around 2k+ or so, after you 95 it youll get a 20% ODD rate.

This was my AM set before I quit:

Calmecac trousers would be superior to Bale +2 if you are capping ACC.

I havent bothered looking at newer gear since I quit the game.
 Siren.Satsui
By Siren.Satsui 2011-11-08 15:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to much has changed really. Heres the other thing. I wasn't going to mention it and you'll know why. I honestly hate sTP sets >_> lol. I'm so oldschool. I don't even want to transition to a Samurai style of play. Which sounds dumb because i sub sam a lot but still. Idk @_@ I'm a taru so i do abuse my spells a lot anyways. /SAM bothers me in that aspect i usually just pop Hasso when i WS for the extra boost in str and acc for Guillo/Insurgency. other than that if LR is up i dont use seigan or hasso while DDing. Don't get me wrong i have the equip where i can use sTP set for maybe like an AV fight or something but I hardly use it.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-11-08 15:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Because time spent doing Chloris (scythe) is time you could be spending on Apoc. Obviously if you already have the weapon then disregard but this is moreso for the OP should they ever pursue a relic/emp.

You'd use Caladbolg over Redemption on all VW fights? I could have make apoc in the time it took to do chloris? ***... if i can do a relic in a week with 4 people I could be minidragon by now.....

I understand where you're coming from but what I said was still a valid answer to the question he posed. I also don't think great sword 100% of the time is prudent even with only caladbolg.

If your gross hyperbole was intended as humor then my appologies. I'm bad at distinguishing context through text.
Mostly serious. The idea is that Caladbolg is a quick enough weapon to complete that it carries minimal opportunity cost for the benefits gained, but if you do not already have a DRK relic/emp and are looking for a weapon of choice, time spent grinding out Redemption would be vastly better spent working on Apoc.

Quote:
Obviously if you already have the weapon then disregard
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

i do abuse my spells a lot anyways.

Just letting you know, that's another way of saying you suck at DRK.

Casting spells even Absorb TP are a complete and utter waste of time, and do nothing but slow down your DPS. Unless you are in a situation where you are not engaged casting magic is pointless.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-11-08 15:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said: »

After getting Apoc to 90 the Average will sit around 2k+ or so, after you 95 it youll get a 20% ODD rate.

They always come back, I'm working on Apoc myself!
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-11-08 15:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

i do abuse my spells a lot anyways.

Just letting you know, that's another way of saying you suck at DRK.
I think the rest of his post did that.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-11-08 15:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to much has changed really. Heres the other thing. I wasn't going to mention it and you'll know why. I honestly hate sTP sets >_> lol. I'm so oldschool. I don't even want to transition to a Samurai style of play. Which sounds dumb because i sub sam a lot but still. Idk @_@ I'm a taru so i do abuse my spells a lot anyways. /SAM bothers me in that aspect i usually just pop Hasso when i WS for the extra boost in str and acc for Guillo/Insurgency. other than that if LR is up i dont use seigan or hasso while DDing. Don't get me wrong i have the equip where i can use sTP set for maybe like an AV fight or something but I hardly use it.

I'd recommend a solid 7-hit build for calabold that suits your aftermath.
Something like this:

but swap:
aces for calmecac trousers,
hoard for tyrant,
white tathlum for angr,
bale gorget for ganeesha's mala

i guess. I dunno, i'm at work lol
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

WTF quote button
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »

I'm playing XIV now, by the time 2.0 comes out, and with stuff like the Ifrit fight, XI is going to have a really hard time grabbing my attention back.

Good Luck with Your Apoc though! :O
 Siren.Satsui
By Siren.Satsui 2011-11-08 15:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So when did a Dark Knight become a Samurai? Now I shouldn't be using Spells on a job that has them? K. I don't see how Absorbing 100 tp then WSing again is a waste of time? Lol. yeah sometimes its like 7% if you can't time it worth a damn. Idk about you but i have a LS.

And You quit the game or you quit playing DRK?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-11-08 15:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm playing XIV now, by the time 2.0 comes out, and with stuff like the Ifrit fight, XI is going to have a really hard time grabbing my attention back.

Thanks, and yeah true :/ FFXIV is looking really good for 2.0, but thats year away so I'm enjoying FFXI now. I hope FFXI doesn't lose too many people once 2.0 is out, they really should lower the price to like 5 dollars if you play both lol.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So when did a Dark Knight become a Samurai? Now I shouldn't be using Spells on a job that has them? K. I don't see how Absorbing 100 tp then WSing again is a waste of time? Lol. yeah sometimes its like 7% if you can't time it worth a damn. Idk about you but i have a LS.

Its been known for a very long time that casting spells completley kills your over all damage output and yes that includes Absorb-TP. You have Tier 3 Nukes are you using those too? I seriously hope to god your not.

Just because you have access to something does NOT make it good.

I quit the game, my last 2-3 months in XI was literally me staring at a wall being AFK 90% of the time.
By BorealisV2 2011-11-08 15:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

This makes me sad.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-11-08 15:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Stun is really the only worthwhile spell DRK has. If you see a particularly juicy buff on an enemy (Berserk, for example), I'd imagine Absorb-Attri would be good.

But ***like Absorb-TP are cases of "Almost, not quite", where they seem amazing (And in fact, were at some point), but now are utterly useless, unless you've got crackerjack timing and can score 80+ Tp consistently (Almost impossible given how fast things die or drop below 25% hp)
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-11-08 15:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Awww. come back gradd you'd like VW!!! At least grab a stone now to start the pool in case you change your mind later D:
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Awww. come back gradd you'd like VW!!! At least grab a stone now to start the pool in case you change your mind later D:

I've done VW, I built my Ochain for it, idk it just didnt grab my attention.

I had alot more fun with Ein/Limbus style events and oldchool dyna (I really hate new dynamis).
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-11-08 15:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, and yeah true :/ FFXIV is looking really good for 2.0, but thats year away so I'm enjoying FFXI now. I hope FFXI doesn't lose too many people once 2.0 is out, they really should lower the price to like 5 dollars if you play both lol.

If they add BLU and DRK to XIV, (they mentioned Rag and Great swords in an interview :O) XI will have completley lost me x:
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-11-08 15:55:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Limbus was my favorite event.

About the only thing I'd say SE has actually improved is Salvage though.

I guess I've become one of "Those" guys now though. Don't even play FFXI, still live on FFXI community forums.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-11-08 17:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What play style separates Samurai from other DD again? It's a DD job. It's up to you to be the most effective DD you can within your own abilities. Spells are for support or for when you can't really engage. Unless you can pop absorb attri on an enemies berserk I don't see why you should stop swinging that scythe or great sword. Stuns aside.
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2011-11-09 06:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ppl are just looking for the epeen. I personally use Redemption over Caladbolg on most VW NMs, even if Torcleaver reached 2.9k sometimes.
I'm looking for the win and it always makes me cry when we time out while the NM is @ 6%.
 Cerberus.Detzu
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2011-11-09 06:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said: »

What play style separates Samurai from other DD again? It's a DD job. It's up to you to be the most effective DD you can within your own abilities. Spells are for support or for when you can't really engage. Unless you can pop absorb attri on an enemies berserk I don't see why you should stop swinging that scythe or great sword. Stuns aside.

Do you know you can swing while casting?
If there's no point to use elemental spells except poisonga on nin mobs, i don't see why you can't use drk spells especially absorb-tp.
You must be losing tons of DPS by not using it properly.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-11-09 06:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless stuff has changed since I stopped playing or I'm simply wrong (very possible), doesn't casting essentially "pause" your swinging which then resumes at maximum delay after a cast?

Spellcasting then becomes considerably less effective as Haste => 80%. Whether it's worth it all depends of course on how much TP return you get average, etc.
 Fenrir.Kendraian
user: Boondo15
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-11-09 07:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Only way Absorb-TP is not useful is if A.)You Dark Magic Skill sucks. B.)Mob is resistant to Dark Magic. Simply for a number of reasons. It's 2 second cast is lolnotthatslow and with people meleeing on a mob TP increases Rather Fast. AND 30TP in 2sec is > nothing DRK unlike meat head SAM takes alot of Skill to play and is situation as most jobs are. On that note we all know DRK has been screwed with WS for years but Last Resort Fully merited is the greatest thing known to man. DPS flies thru the roof and DRK have always been Spike DMG. Full Bale Has its uses only problem is rearranging your haste gear Full Bale Gear (17%) Goading Belt(+5%) Blitz Ring(+1%) and they do have a Haste Grip now but im more a fan of double attack. 100% dmg on a 300~600 Hit anyone know the math? If ur also doing that might as well look up Last Resorts 25% delay reduction(unless you do the Haseo SAM) In Aby that can be way worse too. Crit.hit there without Full Bale and im @600-1.4k. Oh and Crit.Hit Rate+4% w/full crit hit merits initial 10%Crit.hit rate and some other gear u can find im sure DRK can get a pretty decent Crit.hit rate.

Stop Criticizing a jobs ability to play if ur a lolplayer stop bein ignorant if ur a lolplayer with an emphy ur just a lolemphy same rules apply to relics.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-11-09 07:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said: »
Unless stuff has changed since I stopped playing or I'm simply wrong (very possible), doesn't casting essentially "pause" your swinging which then resumes at maximum delay after a cast? Spellcasting then becomes considerably less effective as Haste => 80%. Whether it's worth it all depends of course on how much TP return you get average, etc.

It hasn't.

I cast a lot in the "drive by" situations like VW or older HNMS (especially looking for staggers in abyssea or VW). If it's "put this thing down time" I usually cast: endrain, dread spikes and then use last resort and scarlet delirium before diving in. I usually have regained/meditated/absorbed 300 tp by this point (and if you anticipate capping lights you can pop the spells/abilities before "kill time) so I just pop fanatics, run in, hammer out ws, and ride aftermath til it's put down.

Speaking of casting while tping: When I attack a dragon who just cast thornsong i take huge damage. when i absorb it, he takes almost none. I call BS.
By BorealisV2 2011-11-09 08:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kendraian said: »
Only way Absorb-TP is not useful is if A.)You Dark Magic Skill sucks. B.)Mob is resistant to Dark Magic. Simply for a number of reasons. It's 2 second cast is lolnotthatslow and with people meleeing on a mob TP increases Rather Fast. AND 30TP in 2sec is > nothing DRK unlike meat head SAM takes alot of Skill to play and is situation as most jobs are. On that note we all know DRK has been screwed with WS for years but Last Resort Fully merited is the greatest thing known to man. DPS flies thru the roof and DRK have always been Spike DMG. Full Bale Has its uses only problem is rearranging your haste gear Full Bale Gear (17%) Goading Belt(+5%) Blitz Ring(+1%) and they do have a Haste Grip now but im more a fan of double attack. 100% dmg on a 300~600 Hit anyone know the math? If ur also doing that might as well look up Last Resorts 25% delay reduction(unless you do the Haseo SAM) In Aby that can be way worse too. Crit.hit there without Full Bale and im @600-1.4k. Oh and Crit.Hit Rate+4% w/full crit hit merits initial 10%Crit.hit rate and some other gear u can find im sure DRK can get a pretty decent Crit.hit rate.

Stop Criticizing a jobs ability to play if ur a lolplayer stop bein ignorant if ur a lolplayer with an emphy ur just a lolemphy same rules apply to relics.

wat

Reading this made my head hurt.
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2011-11-09 08:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »
Do you know you can swing while casting? If there's no point to use elemental spells except poisonga on nin mobs, i don't see why you can't use drk spells especially absorb-tp. You must be losing tons of DPS by not using it properly.

This is why the DRK job is doomed.