Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-21 10:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
This is sex ed in our schools today...
User submitted image

God I *** HATE her...every time she opens her mouth a piece of me dies inside.
 Asura.Celene
Server: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-04-21 10:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a parent can only do so much, I've seen a lot of "it's the parent's fault" on this thread.
After you raise the child past a certain point, it ultimately comes down to the child on how they live their life. They could have raised them well, with many morals and values, and suddenly just take a turn for the worse. I grew up with some decent people but then got sucked into the over use of certain substances and what have you. The same goes for the above comic.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-21 11:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
I think a parent can only do so much, I've seen a lot of "it's the parent's fault" on this thread.
After you raise the child past a certain point, it ultimately comes down to the child on how they live their life. They could have raised them well, with many morals and values, and suddenly just take a turn for the worse. I grew up with some decent people but then got sucked into the over use of certain substances and what have you. The same goes for the above comic.

Well, of course that's true to a certain extent...for instance, when a child reaches the legal age of consent, if they wanna have sex, they're gonna have sex. The difference is how parents react to it...I knew a lot of kids in school whose parents, upon finding out that their 17 year old kid was sexually active, freaked the hell out, grounded them and forbade them from seeing their boyfriend/girlfriend ever again.

Who wants to guess what the success rate on that particular tactic was? If you said absolutely ZERO, {Congratulations!} {Good job!}

The key is being completely honest with your kids when they're young, not to lie to them or threaten them with punishment. My mother was very open with me about sex when I was young, told me the implications and risks, but also told me the truth about the feelings, both emotional and physical, behind it. She was similarly truthful when it came to Pot, Cigarettes, and Alcohol, and having that knowledge before I was exposed to those substances took away the mystery of it and allowed me to make better decisions.

Not to say that I haven't gotten trashed before, or smoked pot and cigarettes, but I've never driven drunk or made other stupid decisions while under their effects. I've never gotten in serious trouble, never had any pregnancy scares growing up, none of that ***. Not so with the kids whose parents tried to put them in a bubble and keep ***from them; they were the ones that rolled their cars in a ditch while blown out of their mind, or got knocked up by their b/f, etc...
 Asura.Endelig
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-21 11:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is getting too deep for my small brain. Though i do agree with #2 on pretty much everything so far.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-21 11:14:33
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I think the primary mistake so many parents make is to completely and utterly shield and "protect" their child from what in essence is reality. Whether we like it or not, drugs, sex, violence and any other questionable and controversial element under the sun. They are apart of our lives directly or indirectly and rather than avoiding the inevitable; parents should talk to their children about them progressively as they show up.

Simple honesty and understanding go a long way. A sheltered child will only feel oppressed and will take any opportunity to defy their parents when given the chance. This is why alot of those "abstinence" girls become total *** the moment they hit college when they're on their own.
 Bahamut.Ragnell
Server: Bahamut
user:
By Bahamut.Ragnell 2009-04-21 11:19:03

I'm addicted.........

to dat ***
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-21 11:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
This is why alot of those "abstinence" girls become total *** the moment they hit college when they're on their own.

Yeah, we used to call it "Catholic School Syndrome" or CSS. There was a Catholic school near my High School that was K-9, so every year in High school we would pick out the Sophmores that went there instead of Public School without actually talking to them. It was pretty easy, at first they would be totally timid, conservatively dressed...by spring break, they were smoking, drinking, swearing, making out under the bleachers and ***lol
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-21 11:38:30

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Artemicion said:
This is why alot of those "abstinence" girls become total *** the moment they hit college when they're on their own.

Yeah, we used to call it "Catholic School Syndrome" or CSS. There was a Catholic school near my High School that was K-9, so every year in High school we would pick out the Sophmores that went there instead of Public School without actually talking to them. It was pretty easy, at first they would be totally timid, conservatively dressed...by spring break, they were smoking, drinking, swearing, making out under the bleachers and ***lol

Exactly, if you shelter something and make it completely taboo without giving a reasonable explenation or understanding as to why it's a bad thing, the kids will only get more curious about it and thus increasing the urge to go do it on their own without their parents consent due to the oppressive nature provided. If not out of interest of what they were sheltered from then for no other purpose than to piss off and defy their folks.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-21 11:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
I think the primary mistake so many parents make is to completely and utterly shield and "protect" their child from what in essence is reality. Whether we like it or not, drugs, sex, violence and any other questionable and controversial element under the sun. They are apart of our lives directly or indirectly and rather than avoiding the inevitable; parents should talk to their children about them progressively as they show up.

Simple honesty and understanding go a long way. A sheltered child will only feel oppressed and will take any opportunity to defy their parents when given the chance. This is why alot of those "abstinence" girls become total *** the moment they hit college when they're on their own.

I and several of my friends can completely verify this. I wasn't the most sheltered kid, but that's largely because I went looking for answers on my own rather than trusting mom and dad to tell me everything I needed to know. You can imagine how that turned out at times. I know several people who are the stereotypical homeschooled child, they're always fun to watch when they get pushed into real life.
Weird thing is, even with all the ***I found and could have gotten into, I still turned out ok.
I think.
>.>
EDIT: and Artemecion completely nailed the motive.
 Asura.Icon
user: ic0n67
By Asura.Icon 2009-04-21 11:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

/em feels like his initial message has been totally forgotten
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-04-21 11:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-21 11:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Icon said:

It wasn't forgotten, the conversation just evolved to cover a broader range of subjects...at least it's actually thought provoking conversation for the most part and not random crap, like so many other threads end up lol
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-21 11:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Icon said:

It wasn't forgotten, the conversation just evolved to cover a broader range of subjects...at least it's actually thought provoking conversation for the most part and not random crap, like so many other threads end up lol

Truth. Thread derails are inevitable given enough time, at least this one is productive.
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-04-21 11:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

But random crap is fun!
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-21 11:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Celene said:
But random crap is fun!

LOL I agree, the problem is when the thread starts leaning towards the random on post #2, post #3 or #4 usually seals the deal and then it's pretty much "abandon hope for reason all ye who enter here"...

EDIT: Oh, and Arte, nice avatar choice...*** LOVE that album ^^
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-04-21 11:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image

User submitted image

User submitted image
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-21 11:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
User submitted image

Love that movie, although I could actually see things going that way in 600 years, which is goddamn scary
 Asura.Icon
user: ic0n67
By Asura.Icon 2009-04-21 12:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Icon said:

I hope it is forgotten ... Think about it; what started as a "these *** don't log out" has somehow evolved into talk involving sex. It is kinda funny since sex is a real life thing that you can't do while you are camping kings for hours on end ... in the business we call that irony.
 Asura.Endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-21 13:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes that is a law.
 Pandemonium.Aravol
Server: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-04-21 13:18:15
Link | Quote | Reply

lmfao.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-21 13:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Isn't that some sort of Law? As infinity approaches all thread topics get closer to sex?

I thought the law was "In any online argument, the longer it goes on, the odds of someone getting compared to Hitler reaches 100%"

Or something to that effect lol
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-21 13:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Rowland said:
Isn't that some sort of Law? As infinity approaches all thread topics get closer to sex?

I thought the law was "In any online argument, the longer it goes on, the odds of someone getting compared to Hitler reaches 100%"

Godwin's Law

LOL thanks ^^
 Asura.Endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-21 13:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Rowland said:

Godwin is a Nazi.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-21 13:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Now that we're talking about Nazi's already, this thread can die peacefully knowing Godwin's wishes have been fulfilled.

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Okay ^^
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2009-04-21 13:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Kungfuhustle said:
This is sex ed in our schools today...
User submitted image

God I *** HATE her...every time she opens her mouth a piece of me dies inside.

^1,000x This, just thought I'd add that before this thread dies
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-04-21 14:35:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Jaerik said:
If it means anything, all of our internal research at MMO companies I've worked for indicate that Yahoo's figures are actually quite conservative. Well over 10% of MMO players spend more than 70 hours/week in-game.

MMO's are now the #1 reason for academic failure and drop-out rates among college-age Americans.

Lazyness and Weed are *** pissed.

lol
[+]