Almost 1 in 10 Young Video Game Users 'Addicted'
First Page 2 3 4 5
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-20 15:09:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekky said:
I play GTA so I have the urge to beat up old people and shoot guns.

Don't we all? ^^

Seriously though, I never understood that logic. People fantasize about evil ***all the time. Who hasn't been in line behind some slow *** moron at the grocery store and fantasized about knocking the dumb *** down and running her over with their cart? Or sat in traffic imagining how awesome it would be to just *** FLOOR IT and start ramming cars out of the way, driving down the shoulder?

I imagine some *** up ***, I don't know if it's just me, but when I go over a bridge or some other high place, I fantasize about what it would be like to drive off the thing. Or run over pedestrians on the sidewalk screaming "200 POINTS!!!!!" as I smoke people. I would never actually DO any of that ***, but I go play GTA, and I can.

Call me sick, whatever. It's fun ^^
[+]
 Garuda.Littledarc
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-04-20 15:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
well that's not as bad as the kid who shot and killed his mom cause his parents took his halo 3 away for punishment.

well maybe they deserved it for letting him have halo 3 in the first place. the way i see it, it gets more retards out of the gene pool.
 Garuda.Littledarc
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-04-20 15:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Zekky said:

Don't we all? ^^

Seriously though, I never understood that logic. People fantasize about evil ***all the time. Who hasn't been in line behind some slow *** moron at the grocery store and fantasized about knocking the dumb *** down and running her over with their cart? Or sat in traffic imagining how awesome it would be to just *** FLOOR IT and start ramming cars out of the way, driving down the shoulder?

I imagine some *** up ***, I don't know if it's just me, but when I go over a bridge or some other high place, I fantasize about what it would be like to drive off the thing. Or run over pedestrians on the sidewalk screaming "200 POINTS!!!!!" as I smoke people. I would never actually DO any of that ***, but I go play GTA, and I can.

the problem is with younger undeveloped minds. they have problems with what is fantasy and what is reality. or so i read anyways...
 Asura.Celene
Server: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-04-20 15:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Littledarc said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Zekky said:

Don't we all? ^^

the problem is with younger undeveloped minds. they have problems with what is fantasy and what is reality. or so i read anyways...

Sadly enough, it depends on a person. Males take years for their brains to be developed. Sometimes even past 26. You can buy GTA at the age of 18. Can anyone see the problem with this? Personally, I think there should be some kind of test you need to take before you buy violent video games.
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-04-20 15:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I was thinking more along the lines of a monitoring test over time. Though, I suppose that would require too much time and money to be worthwhile.
Oh well.
Guess we'll be forever stuck with games in the wrong person's hands.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-20 15:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Littledarc said:

Oh, I'm sure...but that's a parenting issue, not a video game one. I matured pretty early in life, so my mother never really took issue with me watching violent movies or playing violent games, although, given that I was a child of the NES/SNES generation, it was kinda hard to find games that even touch the violence in today's games, including lolMORTAL KOMBAT (remember the outcry over there being blood in that game, period? If only they knew...lol)

Anyways, yeah, I was a mature kid, so I could handle that ***. I was watching movies like Predator and Aliens and Commando when I was a wee child, and it never made me violent in real life. If a kid can't handle it and understand what's right and wrong in the real world, then the parents need to actually be parents and moderate what their kids do...but there's no "magic age" where kids just learn or understand that crap, which is why the rating system is kinda bogus, IMHO.

Plus, here in the states anyways, things are so skewed towards violence being ok, but sex and nudity not. A movie can have profanity all over the place, explosions and people beating the ***out of each other left and right, but show a boob or something and you're immediately getting close to rated R/M, even if it's non sexual in nature. Even M rated games that have sex freak people out (Hot Coffee, anyone?) I really don't understand why, as a country, we are so terrified and embarrassed about the human body that we censor it so much in our media...
 Asura.Ktjrn
user:
By Asura.Ktjrn 2009-04-20 15:55:36
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of the blame for children's addiction to video games should be placed on the parents. Sometimes adults give kids these systems so they'll stay out of the parent's hair. It's unfortunate that they're missing out on life, and I think that some people start this addictive behavior to fill in a void that he/she does not see with their own eyes.
 Ramuh.Scizor
Server: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2009-04-20 15:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to play Tombi, doesnt make me want to mount a pig and sink my teeth into its tastey tender juicey skin.....brb making myself hungry
 Asura.Zekky
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-04-20 16:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ktjrn said:
A lot of the blame for children's addiction to video games should be placed on the parents. Sometimes adults give kids these systems so they'll stay out of the parent's hair. It's unfortunate that they're missing out on life, and I think that some people start this addictive behavior to fill in a void that he/she does not see with their own eyes.

^ Agree
 Asura.Zekky
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-04-20 16:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Also you guys are misquoting me in the above quotes. Where are my ' in them? >.>;;

I was mocking people that are in the news. And I used to work at GameStop. It's kind of disturbing the excuses people make. Really is.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-04-20 16:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

First off, why aren't the parents of these so-called "game junkies" not laying down the law?

The age range that they surveyed were 8 to 18. From 14+, kids don't pay attention in school anyway, so the link to video games is kaput!

This is just another excuse made up by some right-wing, anti-fun Republican to try and get a ban on video games.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-04-20 17:07:01

If your kid cant handle playing video games and RL. Take the game away or put down some rules (ex. do your homework "show me" then games)

After sometime I stop caring for this kind of new....they tried to sue game company so many times and failed. This is happening more and more with pretty much anything...if you cant handle something you blame it on pretty much anything but yourself

It's time they did a survey on how much time parents dedicate to their kids and whats up with their family life....rest assure it will be around ; Parent : 10% at home/ 90% at work

Let em blame blame blame its not like the problem will go away even "if" games where taken away
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-20 17:08:36

Just because someone sucks at driving and ends up injuring/killing a handful of people doesn't warrant the ban of all cars for everyone. People need to take responsibility for their actions, or in this case due to young age, the parents.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-04-20 17:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image

this is where the iShit is going
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-20 17:20:11

Kungfuhustle said:
User submitted image

Heh, it'd be more symbolic if it was an old *** xbox controller. A shame all the controllers are going wireless these days xD
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-04-20 17:25:29

Artemicion said:
Kungfuhustle said:
User submitted image

Heh, it'd be more symbolic if it was an old *** xbox controller. A shame all the controllers are going wireless these days xD

haha >< id agree with you but damn I trip over the wires so many times. Also I hate it when the wires get all curled up and it dmg/s the wires inside >.>
 Ifrit.Clouse
user: Clouse
By Ifrit.Clouse 2009-04-21 01:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

<-- still has all wired controllers

Am I oldschool?
 Ifrit.Dracko
user: Dracko
By Ifrit.Dracko 2009-04-21 08:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I know I spend on avaerage 5 hours/day playing FFXI & that is after hours. I go to work, deal with my ignorant; boring; fusy; snort-nosed; arrogant; blah-blah-blah colleagues. I get home, get through any work i need for the next day & play ff until 1am-2am everyday. The only exeption being weekends, Fridays = Sky & Sundays>Monday morning = Dyna. Am I addicted, nah. I just like the change in persona, in RL you can't be like your in-game character or avatar or society would find that very unfitting. I'm ruthless at work & a different person when I'm online. Sure my ls mates are a few hours behind & I don't know any south african that play ffxi atm. So am I addicted? *** it nah, I'm not.

Fortunatelly in SA we don't suffer from such BS, about games causing this-that-&-the -other people just do ***coz they want to. GTA didnt influence me to smoke or drink & it certainly did not encourage me to be 120 km/h in a 60 zone, its because i like driving fast. Would I run over some1? Hell yeah, if they *** with me on a personal level. I just belive 1st world countries will blame anything or anyone just for the *** of it, why? Coz they can & nobody would deem that as wrong or *** up.

By the age of 10 I was already doing freaking sports & knew that weekends was time for my 8-bit console (we had shitty stuff then > Golden China), during the week it was books & sports + the female anatomy. If you had a choice between the following & could only select one (taking into account your moral fibre): Go get smashed, get high on something very toxic, have unprotected sex, shooting strangers, spying on the neighbours daughter, or forgetting your RL problems by playing games!

I think the result would be different. I WISH A MOTHER *** WOULD, try that games causes violance in kids in South Africa. See how far they run with that ***. People have better ***to report, than freaking speculations on games causing ***they have no idea about. I just think that journalists need to do their jobs & stop writting dumb peices that actually save a lot of lives, coz lord know what I would be up to if I didnt play games period
 Hades.Jacinda
Server: Hades
user: Jacinda
By Hades.Jacinda 2009-04-21 09:23:14
Link | Quote | Reply

These surveys should serve as an eye opener, but by no means does it show video gaming as addiction. What I believe this to be is a sign that parents need to prioritize their activities and take more responsibility for their kids.

It's almost as if parents are afraid to parent anymore. No child should be spending that much damn time on a game system. Take the system away and make them go play with their friends, or if that doesn't work, play with the kids themselves. Instead of dealing with the issues, parents run to doctors for the latest and greatest "child ailment of the year" diagnosis and then say that they're helpless to do anything about it.

If you give a child a choice between playing video games all day or taking the effort to get up and find friends to play with, they'll take the simple road unless taught differently. Key word being "taught"...by the PARENT.
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-04-21 09:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Jaerik said:
If it means anything, all of our internal research at MMO companies I've worked for indicate that Yahoo's figures are actually quite conservative. Well over 10% of MMO players spend more than 70 hours/week in-game.

MMO's are now the #1 reason for academic failure and drop-out rates among college-age Americans.

Lazyness and Weed are *** pissed.

Now I can smoke and look at my parents and say "AT LEAST IM NOT PLAYING!"
 Siren.Bungie
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2009-04-21 09:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

/addicted, easily
 Asura.Endelig
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-21 09:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Littledarc said:

Oh, I'm sure...but that's a parenting issue, not a video game one. I matured pretty early in life, so my mother never really took issue with me watching violent movies or playing violent games, although, given that I was a child of the NES/SNES generation, it was kinda hard to find games that even touch the violence in today's games, including lolMORTAL KOMBAT (remember the outcry over there being blood in that game, period? If only they knew...lol)

Anyways, yeah, I was a mature kid, so I could handle that ***. I was watching movies like Predator and Aliens and Commando when I was a wee child, and it never made me violent in real life. If a kid can't handle it and understand what's right and wrong in the real world, then the parents need to actually be parents and moderate what their kids do...but there's no "magic age" where kids just learn or understand that crap, which is why the rating system is kinda bogus, IMHO.

Plus, here in the states anyways, things are so skewed towards violence being ok, but sex and nudity not. A movie can have profanity all over the place, explosions and people beating the ***out of each other left and right, but show a boob or something and you're immediately getting close to rated R/M, even if it's non sexual in nature. Even M rated games that have sex freak people out (Hot Coffee, anyone?) I really don't understand why, as a country, we are so terrified and embarrassed about the human body that we censor it so much in our media...

EXACTLY.

Here we get exploding heads and death and stuff on day time TV. Can't even show nudity at night half the time. I think we all know sex is far more dangerous than guns and bombs right? Riiiiiight?
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2009-04-21 10:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Just because someone sucks at driving and ends up injuring/killing a handful of people doesn't warrant the ban of all cars for everyone. People need to take responsibility for their actions, or in this case due to young age, the parents.

Same reason Marijuana should be legalized, not to mention it would probably solve our economic problem lol
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-21 10:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Endelig said:
I think we all know sex is far more dangerous than guns and bombs right? Riiiiiight?

Apparently. Had a neighbor once that moved here from New Zealand due to job relocation; cool dude, we smoked together a few times...anyways, in our hazy ramblings talking about ***, he just could not wrap his mind around the inconsistency of censorship here in the U.S. He was right, of course...we're so *** *** backwards, especially as comes to sex and violence.

Add to the fact that most schools are completely unrealistic in sex ed and contraception (lolABSTINENCE) and we pretty much cause our own damn problems as far as teen pregnancy and STD's among kids and ***.

Rowland said:
But there is also the other end of the spectrum when some parents just come off as too overprotective. Their child is in their middle teens, and they have to have adult supervision when they see a game is rated T for violence.

I used to run into that ***a lot back in the day when I used to work at Blockbuster. The parents that would come in with their 16 year old kid, who would want to rent some PG13-rated film; only to have the parents ask me about the rating and what specifically led to it being rated that way. Like, "describe every act of violence in the movie"...uhhh, yeah. Meanwhile the 16 year old kid is standing there *** mortified because his Mom or Dad was a nutball, terrified that that one extra explosion might be the one that pushes little Johnny over the edge and turns him into a serial killer.

When Titanic came out I got soooo many complaints from parents about the brief nude scene...watching people drown, get shot, and riot for 45 minues was ok, of course...but Kate Winslet's rack apparently warped so many young minds that there totally should have been a bigger warning on the box.

Stupid *** people, thank God I don't work in that dump anymore lol

Kajidourden said:
Same reason Marijuana should be legalized, not to mention it would probably solve our economic problem lol

QFT.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-04-21 10:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

This is sex ed in our schools today...
User submitted image
 Asura.Endelig
user: endelig