First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Fenrir.Kendraian
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Boondo15
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-09-06 17:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kut said: »
Almace is hard and lolKendaian <3 You also have PLD so why not just get one.

1 haste over so substitute where need's be, but this should be a decent starting place.

:3 I shoulda knew that throwing out things like melee and rdm would create a riot among FFXI peoples lmaooo Im not even playing the game till next month xD then ill get a Almace :3
 Fenrir.Didgist
user: Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2011-09-06 17:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

OP: There is no good melee RDM build without Almace.

In fact, Almace doesn't even save it.

The only feasible reason for a RDM melee build is if you were mass burning say, mandragora while two boxing an empyrean trial. Even in this case you would be better off bringing a more DD oriented job to kill while using a WHM/RDM to pull with.

I have considered making Almace for this reason alone but it doesn't seem like it would do me any good. Red Mage is much more effective as a back line job playing a supporting role, and in cases where you are doing all the work yourself you would benefit more from a different job combination. I consider being efficient and getting things done fun but to each their own I guess.

Call me crazy, but I like playing Red Mage as if it was a Mage.

Also pre-empyrean melee WHM would destroy melee RDM. Probably still true. I wonder why people are so hell bent on making this job something it is not. I've always considered melee RDM as just something to mess around with or something that would knock 20 minutes off of a 3 hour solo.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kendraian
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-09-06 17:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

AND BEST MELEE RDM SET GOES TO KUT OF FENRIR :D Go Kut!
 Quetzalcoatl.Absolutezero
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Absolutezero 2011-09-06 17:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Rdm melee is pretty fun. Of course rdm doesn't melee as well as "real" dd jobs (that's what rdm melee enthusiasts have been saying all along) but that is neither here nor there. I say give it a try, at least.

Remember that rdm gets dagger skills too. Evisceration can put out some nice numbers in abyssea especially.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kendraian
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-09-06 17:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

My simple minded people comment meant that you guys cant think outside the box as if a what if comment. Its horribly obvious that RDM are not DD's just like DRK elemental magic is horrible. This was in no way meant for a NM in essence the whole meaning of me making this forum is to talk about something not be be stated the obvious.
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-09-06 17:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it's impossible for me to cast while I am melleeing. You don't have to just be in the back line if you can do your job while front lining. If you can't keep up a haste or refresh cycle while your meleeing, Then you wouldn't be able to back line effectively either. A job that requires you to push more then boost isn't going to be for you and its going to take a lot more work and skill to get right.

edit - This is assuming you aren't a stupid player wearing 4% haste af +2 5/5 and saying I am de best.I'm assuming a rdm that has put inthe work for 22%-26% haste , and the best CDC gear you can get. Plus with the new haste sword coming out in the next update for off hand rdm gets a lot more choice in the gear department.... we just have to have another super rare going to us last gear first.
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-09-06 17:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

what
[+]
 Fenrir.Kendraian
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-09-06 18:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said: »
Because it's impossible for me to cast while I am melleeing. You don't have to just be in the back line if you can do your job while front lining. If you can't keep up a haste or refresh cycle while your meleeing, Then you wouldn't be able to back line effectively either. A job that requires you to push more then boost isn't going to be for you and its going to take a lot more work and skill to get right.

edit - This is assuming you aren't a stupid player wearing 4% haste af +2 5/5 and saying I am de best.I'm assuming a rdm that has put inthe work for 22%-26% haste , and the best CDC gear you can get. Plus with the new haste sword coming out in the next update for off hand rdm gets a lot more choice in the gear department.... we just have to have another super rare going to us last gear first.

Erm what did i miss?
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-09-06 18:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Luces, you do realize what the issue is, correct?
 Fenrir.Kut
user: Kutsurabi
By Fenrir.Kut 2011-09-06 19:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Thing is, especially on Fenrir, that RDM I posted with correct food/atma will out DD most people on the server despite all your convictions of lolRdmDD. So, let him have his fun.

Heck, there are times when I answer a shout, for example, and not give a crap enough to go and gear up my MNK and toss on Verethragna to go punch some crappy mob. So, I'll end up bringing a job like DD BRD, DD WHM, Melee SMN, Wildfire COR, PLD DD, or any of my jobs I haven't played in a while just to take the dullness out of it.

If you're constantly at 100% while playing or doing things which require you to be fully loaded on your best DD or best Mage, it gets stale. Sometimes taking a cool down, doing things for fun, is a nice break. So, for a hobby, melee RDM would be interesting and fun for someone.

To relate it to RL, I'm 100% sure all of you aren't either working, going to school, sleeping, eating, crapping, or commuting 24/7. You take breaks, you drink, you play a game. Why the hell would you drink and play a game when you could be at school learning or working to earn money? You're wasting your time, you should be working to make more money or going to school to (whatever you're supposed to do get from school goes here).

Ok, it's not exactly the same, but it's a working example to me. For the same reason I don't work or study all hours of the day, I'm not going to stick myself on MNK/NIN/WHM full-time while playing.

I'm pretty sure we all understand any "DD job" will be better than RDM DD, and even WHM DD will clobber it(excuse the pun). OP has known this from the start and like the honey badger, he doesn't give a s---.

ktnxbai
[+]
 Shiva.Bigslank
Server: Shiva
user: bigslank
By Shiva.Bigslank 2011-09-06 20:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont have the best gear for rdm mele but i do mele alot for those stupid staff trials cus all i have is blm,whm i can use for them, but i use rdm when i bored of using blm for the trial.
AS for for subs i tend to use war or nin sometimes blu but its slow but sometimes more fun than 1,2 shotting mobs with blm
 Fenrir.Kendraian
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-09-06 20:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Thing is, especially on Fenrir, that RDM I posted with correct food/atma will out DD most people on the server despite all your convictions of lolRdmDD. So, let him have his fun.

Heck, there are times when I answer a shout, for example, and not give a crap enough to go and gear up my MNK and toss on Verethragna to go punch some crappy mob. So, I'll end up bringing a job like DD BRD, DD WHM, Melee SMN, Wildfire COR, PLD DD, or any of my jobs I haven't played in a while just to take the dullness out of it.

If you're constantly at 100% while playing or doing things which require you to be fully loaded on your best DD or best Mage, it gets stale. Sometimes taking a cool down, doing things for fun, is a nice break. So, for a hobby, melee RDM would be interesting and fun for someone.

To relate it to RL, I'm 100% sure all of you aren't either working, going to school, sleeping, eating, crapping, or commuting 24/7. You take breaks, you drink, you play a game. Why the hell would you drink and play a game when you could be at school learning or working to earn money? You're wasting your time, you should be working to make more money or going to school to (whatever you're supposed to do get from school goes here).

Ok, it's not exactly the same, but it's a working example to me. For the same reason I don't work or study all hours of the day, I'm not going to stick myself on MNK/NIN/WHM full-time while playing.

I'm pretty sure we all understand any "DD job" will be better than RDM DD, and even WHM DD will clobber it(excuse the pun). OP has known this from the start and like the honey badger, he doesn't give a s---.

ktnxbai
Is Kut backing me up :D and here i thought u hated my lolpld/nin/drk/sch
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-09-06 20:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't have Almace you should probably use daggers for Evisceration. Don't recall seeing that really mentioned.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kendraian
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-09-06 21:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

so true :)
 Cerberus.Rayik
Server: Cerberus
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-09-07 07:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm eager to see what SE does for our swords in the WS adjustments this update. Evisceration currently is tops if you don't have an Almace. Even using something outdated like a Blau Dolch(what I'm stuck with), it outdamages with Evisc than even magian swords with Savage Blade. Something doesn't seem right about that.
 Fenrir.Kut
By Fenrir.Kut 2011-09-07 20:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

After Nightfyre's post I actually looked up daggers usable by RDM since the only decent one I could think of was Blau. Turns out they can use Twilight Knife so I guess that would be decent enough to use with Evisceration; but from my Shinryu luck, it'd probably be easier to get Almace than to keep trying for Shinryu if you have to shout and brew/find a brewer each time. If you can dual box/duo Shinryu it'd be worth it if you still need other drops. However, without Vorpal/CDC/Sanguine you're better off with any dagger you can find.
 Asura.Mekaider
Server: Asura
user: Jynxy
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-09-07 20:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

After Nightfyre's post I actually looked up daggers usable by RDM since the only decent one I could think of was Blau. Turns out they can use Twilight Knife so I guess that would be decent enough to use with Evisceration; but from my Shinryu luck, it'd probably be easier to get Almace than to keep trying for Shinryu if you have to shout and brew/find a brewer each time. If you can dual box/duo Shinryu it'd be worth it if you still need other drops. However, without Vorpal/CDC/Sanguine you're better off with any dagger you can find.

Yeah as it stands with /nin and no almace/WoE wep, Twilight annihilates any sword option, plus the lower delay with enspells is really nice
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-09-07 20:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

you forgot mandau! errr....
 Asura.Mekaider
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-09-07 20:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Somehow i don't think anyone who owns Mandau might happen to forget about it and use twilight...
 Asura.Mekaider
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-09-07 20:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I Sowwy... my momma said i shouldn't feed trolls...
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-09-07 21:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

There's also Clement Skean (fake Mandau)from T3 VNM as well.

I swear almost every run I went to Shinryu decided we need more scythes and what do you know, no one bothered to level drk.
 Fenrir.Kendraian
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-09-07 21:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally have seen all drops except mail/dagger/cloak lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-09-07 22:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cloak is a lie, I've seen every other drop (only like 3 daggers though).
 Fenrir.Kendraian
By Fenrir.Kendraian 2011-09-07 22:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Is impact even that good T_T?
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-09-07 22:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

i like it, its meh in the damage department, but its -20% all stats for ~3 minutes, so its a pretty sweet debuff.
 Fenrir.Kut
By Fenrir.Kut 2011-09-08 02:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I've only seen Cloak/Scythe drop :/ It's rather depressing.

Only thing I would have against Twilight Knife, however, is that it will negate any enspell effect you use... So perhaps the pseudo-Mandau would be best? It's a weaker weapon but at least your enspells work, right?

Simple solution: Almace :/

EDIT: Oh, and screw you Skadoosh.
[+]
 Cerberus.Leoxtribal
Server: Cerberus
user: Nixvalley
By Cerberus.Leoxtribal 2011-09-08 05:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

1 haste over so substitute where need's be, but this should be a decent starting place.
I agree. If you want to play around on rdm melee, this would be a nice goal to work towards. Haste is always <3d. Also, it's not bad to have a fast cast gear swap for utsusemi if you were to /nin it up.

I love my rdm/nin, crappy as dd or not. If you want serious opinions on rdm melee it might be best to try the official XI forums as you will mostly get "War/sam only"
By Drjones 2011-09-08 08:15:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Leoxtribal said: »

I agree. If you want to play around on rdm melee, this would be a nice goal to work towards. Haste is always <3d. Also, it's not bad to have a fast cast gear swap for utsusemi if you were to /nin it up.

I love my rdm/nin, crappy as dd or not. If you want serious opinions on rdm melee it might be best to try the official XI forums as you will mostly get "War/sam only"
No, that would be a terrible idea.

As for the gearset above, if you're looking to maximize damage you might want to look into using a Lightning Bow instead for the DEX it adds, which should help your CDC numbers more than Subtle Blow will. It should also be noted that you can't equip that ammo with a bow equipped, so pick one or the other.
 Leviathan.Dodu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-08 08:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Optimal equipment will also change pretty drastically when you are in and out of Abyssea. Attk., STP, and haste should be your focus inside, while STP and attk. fall down the priority list outside in favor of acc.(when needed) and raw STR, the latter of which is extremely potent when uncapped(which is virtually always, outside).

Also, don't touch the advice of any official forum regular with a 10-foot pole.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7