Is FFXI Dying?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Is FFXI Dying?
Is FFXI Dying?
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 9 10 11
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-21 13:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bowleteus said:
Antipika said:
Bowleteus said:
500,000+ Registered users .

That "500.000+" era been gone for a long time. In 2006 SE claimed to have 500.000 subscribers. So they did in 2007 and 2008... except that /sea all across some servers ain't really reflecting this. At best we have 350.000. There's no way we have as much players as we had in 2006.

ok do the math with 350,000 users. yah....still going no where.

Revenue != net income.

Do the maths again.

We're nowhere near these $78M. Sure FF XI is profitable for SE, but doesn't generate that much.
 Siren.Bowleteus
Server: Siren
user: bowletinc
By Siren.Bowleteus 2009-04-21 13:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Y U R R E T A R D E D

there now i win.

anti-fail, yes it does. go lvl another job
 Asura.Endelig
Server: Asura
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-21 13:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

There are over 9000 people playing this game.
[+]
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
Server: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2009-04-21 16:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Endelig said:
There are over 9000 people playing this game.

haha. There sure are :D
 Ramuh.Stryyker
Server: Ramuh
user: Stryyker
By Ramuh.Stryyker 2009-04-21 17:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sketchkat said:
Etrayis said:
flooding with n00bs, flooding with WoW n00bs, losing most of it's greatest players, and slowly turning into a kids game. Nothing major. XD

To be honest, I think it's the opposite. FFXI has never been new-player-friendly to begin with, especially compared to something like WoW. I seriously doubt very many "WoW n00bs" are going to stick with a game as difficult as FFXI for very long. I'm sure a few of them will, but they're hardly the downfall of Vana'diel. If anything, it brings a bit of diversity.

That's my biggest problem with the game: a lack of diversity. Out of the 15k or so people on each server, it's unofficially ruled by a small percentage of the "hardcore" ones. You know the type(or in some cases, you *are* the type): standing around WG all day, arguing amongst each other about microscopic differences in one pair of gloves over another while waiting for yet another SAM to show up for your merit/nyzul party, and when the occasional new player sticks with the game long to actually make it to WG, they get mocked and insulted when asking for help in a genkai or something.

These are the people who ensure that nobody who spends less than 8 hours a day in-game will ever be accepted into the fold. And since SE creates ridiculous content that caters only to these people, new content will be geared toward a progressively smaller and smaller amount of hyper-nerds with each update, and eventually the people who only play for fun will have no reason to play at all. That's pretty much the opposite of a "kids game".

^This
 Ramuh.Urial
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2009-04-21 18:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Stryyker said:

^This

This guy like he's even logged on FF this whole month
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-21 19:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Mabrook said:

Don't hate and the BLM King!!

He is all that he can be, in FFXI. (head motion)

:]

I love how people are talking using *** {facts}, saying SE makes $78M a year just from monthly fees without taking in consideration costs of servers, dev teams, customer support team, translation, marketing etc... Nobody cares about revenue. The only thing that matter for a MMO is net income. SE will just stop supporting FF XI when their new MMO will be out and if that one is a success of course, regardless if they still make (little) profit with FF XI.

Quote:
go lvl another job

F*ck your another job :p It's all about BLM.

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-21 19:26:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
>they will keep supporting FFXI has long as it has a player base..

>blind hope

Definitely :/

Not to mention that SE net income for their "online game" division has been constantly dropping. I hardly believe that a company which charge me $1 for an additional char and $9.99 for something like ACP will continue to support their game as long as people wants to play. Or maybe they will, but ruining the gameplay so much that everyone will leave (kinda like EA/Mythic did with Dark Age of Camelot).

Quote:
Or you can stop making wild assertions based on opinion.

Not really based on opinion, but on what happened with others MMO in the past.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Endelig
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-04-21 19:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

RMT QQ NOOB QQ
QQ
QQ
QQ
QQ
QQ
QQ BLAH BLAH BLAH
QQ
QQ
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-21 19:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
I deleted what I said, because I thought it might come off as offensive. Wasn't trying to be.

It's ok :d By the way SE financial results for March 08 - 09 fiscal year will be published soon (expected for the end of may), it's the best indicator anyone can use to determine how SE is doing and if FF XI is still going strong.
 Garuda.Ishkur
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-04-21 19:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Bartimaeus said:
I deleted what I said, because I thought it might come off as offensive. Wasn't trying to be.

It's ok :d By the way SE financial results for March 08 - 09 fiscal year will be published soon (expected for the end of may), it's the best indicator anyone can use to determine how SE is doing and if FF XI is still going strong.

The problem is that those results MIGHT be somewhat distorted, since it can have as costs on online games, the developement of Rapture. I didn't watch the results closely, so I am not sure if they separated them or not. And the document isn't that clear either. An insider of SE could disclose a bit more info :P

well maybe if you watched it closely you could disclose this.

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Ishkur
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-04-22 19:12:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Vana'dielian Population Tops Two Million! (04/22/2009)

It is our distinct pleasure to announce that during the third week of April, the total number of active characters across all worlds in FINAL FANTASY XI has exceeded the two million mark for the first time!
Since the commencement of service on May 16th, 2002, Vana'diel has gone on to become a vibrant gathering place for adventurers hailing from all corners of the globe. Boasting four expansions and one add-on scenario with two more in the pipes, FINAL FANTASY XI continues to evolve into an ever richer realm of magic and adventure.

We would like to thank you, our fans, for your loyal patronage over the years, and look forward to your continued support for many more to come.
source: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

LMAO I guess SE reads this forum <.<;
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-23 12:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ishkur said:

The problem is that those results MIGHT be somewhat distorted, since it can have as costs on online games, the developement of Rapture. I didn't watch the results closely, so I am not sure if they separated them or not. And the document isn't that clear either. An insider of SE could disclose a bit more info :P

The document is clear, well that's one of the official source shareholders have. Sure it doesn't have a specific line for "Final fantasy XI" but just "Online Game", still you can see how fine SE is that way, even if the development of "Rapture" is on-going.

Quote:
2005, FFXI had 2 million registered players, and back then it costed much more, about $17-$18 avg.

2,000,000 x $17.5 = A lot more than now.

Active character. Your mule is counted as an active character. First time FF XI pass 2M yeah, but I'd say people tend to have more and more mules, and dual box more also.

The /sea all is still going down and down, at least on Garuda. Remember when Al Zhabi was FULL (700+ players) and this even during weekday at EU prime. Now you /sea all at that time, 1000~1200 players total at best...
 Midgardsormr.Tousou
Server: Midgardsormr
user:
By Midgardsormr.Tousou 2009-04-23 13:06:17
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Sketchkat said:
That's my biggest problem with the game: a lack of diversity. Out of the 15k or so people on each server, it's unofficially ruled by a small percentage of the "hardcore" ones. You know the type(or in some cases, you *are* the type): standing around WG all day, arguing amongst each other about microscopic differences in one pair of gloves over another while waiting for yet another SAM to show up for your merit/nyzul party, and when the occasional new player sticks with the game long to actually make it to WG, they get mocked and insulted when asking for help in a genkai or something.

^I'm happy to say I never experienced this. When I shouted for my Genkais, there were always helpful people. In fact, as soon as I shouted for G3(I think that's the one in Xarc) 2 JPs sent me /tells and assisted me with it.

However, that didn't keep people from insulting my "Noob Gear," or telling me how worthless BLM was. (I gave it up at 69 to level subs, then made THF my first 75.)

- To me, having not played for an extensive period of time, the game isn't necessarily dying. I admit I've gotten bored and questioned how much I'd like to play, but I always come back to it. You can only play something so much before the "Newness" or "Adventure" starts to turn into, "Goddamnit I don't wanna level again."
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-23 13:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Warblade said:
SE needs to release a new tank job, they also need to rollback the campaign battle fortification exp.

Agree on both points. I would like it if S-E gave Dancer the ability to tank effectively, whether through abilities or access to better defensive gear. It's easy to take hate through cure bombing, we have a stun, we don't do much damage, and it'd be nice to use Animated Flourish for more then taking hate for 3 seconds so the THF can SATA the PLD or NIN. I'll admit that watching someone do twirls and ***in Heavy armor is silly looking, but they could give us an "utsusemi like" ability that costs TP, maybe let us /WAR for survivability?

I dunno...I'm biased since so many peeps are of the "lolDNC" mindset, I think it would help get more people to want them for endgame, which I'm told is pretty much nil currently.

As for campaign nerf...ya, totally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE >.<
 Odin.Gaea
Server: Odin
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-04-23 13:24:05

I think the problem with the campaign nerf is it was needed but it was late and for some people this way of XPing became a staple for them. I don't have a problem with it, but I can see why others do. They should have fixed this sooner.

I'd be surprised if SE added anymore jobs. They pretty much covered all the basics and they as far as the world of Vana'diel, they've pretty much covered everything except East Aht Urghan, and the Mithra motherland.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-04-23 13:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah. all 4 of those are blocked.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-23 13:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

PWNT lol
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-04-23 13:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Super fail. ROFL
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-23 13:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Gaea said:

I'd be surprised if SE added anymore jobs. They pretty much covered all the basics and they as far as the world of Vana'diel, they've pretty much covered everything except East Aht Urghan, and the Mithra motherland.

lol orly?

clicky

User submitted image
 Odin.Gaea
Server: Odin
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-04-23 13:34:59

Rowland said:
Gaea said:

Time mage - User submitted image
Geomancer - User submitted image
Chemist - User submitted image
Mime - User submitted image

You failed. Don't hotlink their stuff.

First of all, we have Alchemist. It's a craft. Second of all, MIME isn't really a Cooperative job. It was designed to be one job inside all for single player action. Scholar is the closest thing you'll see to a Time Mage. FFXI has to work the same on all servers, so adjust time for individual players is difficult. Weather, however is not. Geomancer is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-23 13:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

IT COSTS THEM MONEY, ROWLAND!
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-04-23 13:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I was hoping when WotG was released that we'd be able to go to the Gigas Homeland and mess some ***up before the battle of Jeuno. Gigas caused serious havoc there. :( Not happenening. DAMN YOU SE!
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 9 10 11