INT Affect Gravity?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » INT affect Gravity?
INT affect Gravity?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-08-22 23:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Iirc, sky monsters (and anything) build a resistance to Gravity and not to Bind.

Regardless, poke around these pages and their references for most of the testing that I've found about MAcc and such.

There's finally evidence that I've never actually seen that stats affect macc, thanks dude!
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-08-22 23:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Iirc, sky monsters (and anything) build a resistance to Gravity and not to Bind.

Regardless, poke around these pages and their references for most of the testing that I've found about MAcc and such.

bind most definitely starts resisting, if not flat out in VASTLY shortened duration going from 20-30 seconds on sky nms at 75 to as soon as you cast it, it wears every time

THERE IM OUT just had to put in for that lol
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-08-22 23:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

bgwiki said:
Notes

Dealing direct damage to a bound mob can cause Bind to wear.
INT decreases the chance of Bind wearing from a monster being hit.

there you go, i was wrong
 Asura.Mekaider
Server: Asura
user: Jynxy
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-08-22 23:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said: »
bgwiki said:
Notes

Dealing direct damage to a bound mob can cause Bind to wear.
INT decreases the chance of Bind wearing from a monster being hit.

there you go, i was wrong

Well, we haven't actually estabilished about gravity lmfao but we have estabilished something! Excellent, just as i theorised too, i might add :p
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-08-22 23:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I really doubt anyone did testing on that. I'm not sure what the heck decreases the odds of Bind breaking.

And yeah, come to think of it I do believe that Bind eventually starts resisting on Sky NMs. I remember people trying to sabotage Zipacna soloing RDMs by doing Chainspell Bind.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-08-22 23:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

bgwiki said:
The duration of Gravity was set to between 30 to 120 seconds in the July 17, 2003 FFXI update.

best i can give you. i think regardless the overwhelming consensus of people in this thread is that int doesn't affect gravity potency
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-08-22 23:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I really doubt anyone did testing on that. I'm not sure what the heck decreases the odds of Bind breaking.

And yeah, come to think of it I do believe that Bind eventually starts resisting on Sky NMs. I remember people trying to sabotage Zipacna soloing RDMs by doing Chainspell Bind.
i found that bgwiki was better maintained in the technical details when i used it, but you're right in saying there's no supporting link.
 Lakshmi.Greggles
user: Greggles
By Lakshmi.Greggles 2011-08-22 23:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fondue said: »

bind most definitely starts resisting, if not flat out in VASTLY shortened duration going from 20-30 seconds on sky nms at 75 to as soon as you cast it, it wears every time

THERE IM OUT just had to put in for that lol

I've never seen bind wear off as soon as it cast after a good period of time has passed on fights against Sky NMs. I've seen one bind last maybe 5-6 seconds(30 or so minutes in maybe), then the next one last a good 40 seconds.

I don't think NMs truly gain resistance to Bind like they do with Gravity. It didn't matter if the NM was at 90% or at 9% though, it was always extremely random for me.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-08-22 23:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

They do and I've experienced it myself. Bind will instantly wear off but still land, it happened on Faust.
 Asura.Mekaider
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-08-23 00:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
They do and I've experienced it myself. Bind will instantly wear off but still land, it happened on Faust.

Hmmm... that's different to my experience. I generally deal with kirin when people have pops and i just constantly bind him because he does build significant resistance to gravity but not to bind, not that i've noticed.

I know Kirin is a different example to the others given thus far but he's the only real NM i've actually played with for hours on hours so have sufficient sample size.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-08-23 00:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact that a mob can fully resist an enfeeble doesn't mean that it has diminishing returns. That is a special mechanic that se added to mitigate abuse of nms.
 Asura.Dhex
user: Dhex
By Asura.Dhex 2011-08-23 01:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I played RDM on my old Character in 2004.

IIRC:
Skill cap: 276
Merit Skill: +16
(Gear): Warlock's Tabard, Duelist's Chap

Getting 300+ skill was important for landing Gravity on Kirin, but past that it wasn't important. We had a RDM in LS that insisted on continuing to buff Skill alone, but their Gravity spells were shorter duration then mine and landed less frequently ; I used INT Rings/Earrings at the time and 300+ (317~3??) Enfeebling Skill.

You said "Potency" which I take as either the amount of Evasion reduction (set 5%), or the amount of Movement -% lowered. I do not believe these are influenced by INT in anyway and can't be changed. (It isn't like Slow or Paralyze where Potency is adjustable determined by your Stats/Skill/MACC though that does not apply to every Black Magic Enfeeble.)

Using Elemental Staff (Wind/Auster's) will give you +30 MACC (i.e. somthing like +60 INT after 300+ Skill and dSTAT?)

Testing on low level anything isn't going to show you much.

-I don't know how much Atma has changed things.
-I don't know how skill caps are now with lv90.
-Lots of rules/formulas/math in this game has changed.

I only recently came back to XI after 6 years of quitting and I've been on Warrior mostly! Be gentle with me.
 Asura.Dajociont
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2011-08-23 01:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Be gentle with me.

oh, i intend to..
 Asura.Dhex
By Asura.Dhex 2011-08-23 01:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dajociont said: »
Quote:
Be gentle with me.

oh, i intend to..

Oh baby. So what's happened to the math in Final Formula XI?
 Asura.Mekaider
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-08-23 02:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dhex said: »

IIRC:

Getting 300+ skill was important for landing Gravity on Kirin, but past that it wasn't important. We had a RDM in LS that insisted on continuing to buff Skill alone, but their Gravity spells were shorter duration then mine and landed less frequently ; I used INT Rings/Earrings at the time and 300+ (317~3??) Enfeebling Skill.

You said "Potency" which I take as either the amount of Evasion reduction (set 5%), or the amount of Movement -% lowered. I do not believe these are influenced by INT in anyway and can't be changed. (It isn't like Slow or Paralyze where Potency is adjustable determined by your Stats/Skill/MACC though that does not apply to every Black Magic Enfeeble.)

Using Elemental Staff (Wind/Auster's) will give you +30 MACC (i.e. somthing like +60 INT after 300+ Skill and dSTAT?)

I only recently came back to XI after 6 years of quitting and I've been on Warrior mostly! Be gentle with me.

Thanks for the response, and in regards to skill caps and such. I'm on RDM now, want me to post all my caps?

EDIT: And in regards to potency, i meant movement speed, yes.
 Asura.Dhex
By Asura.Dhex 2011-08-23 02:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You could post them, but it won't tell me much.

If I were you I'd find a mob about lv90+ (or whatever they are now) and test it. Lowering the amount of Enfeebling Skill+ Gear until resists happen, so on...

Either way I'm pretty sure the amount of Evasion reduction and Movement speed -% Gravity afflicts won't change.

Edit: By so on I mean find out what Skill level the Resist starts changing so you know how skill effects your spells, and then once that's done try building INT from there. Also it's hard to pin things like this down because it's impossible to determine a monsters stats without a lot of trial an error.
 Asura.Mekaider
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-08-23 02:23:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dhex said: »

IIRC:

Well, skill caps as such:

Divine: 255
Healing: 305
Enhancing: 351
Enfeebling: 377
Elemental: 331
Dark: 255

(5 Merits in enhancing, 8 in enfeebling and 8 in elemental).

Base INT: 84
Base MND: 84

I'm also elvaan male, if that helps any for reference concerning base stats.

EDIT: well i started posting that before you posted lol, figured i'd get it outta the way but bleh. And yeah, you're right. Gunna have to find a "baseline" so to speak on a mob. Problem is, *** all resists now. Obviously i've never tried naked but i wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it sticks naked.
 Asura.Mekaider
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-08-23 02:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, i know i'm posting alot and probably talking alot of *** (caffeine high ftw), but how would you go about measuring a mobs movement speed properly? Considering i play on 360? The only thing i could do is by eye maybe? Or time how long something takes to get to me, but even then, the distances wouldn't be fair as i can't get them the same all the time from guesswork. Idk, thoughts, suggestions?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-08-23 03:24:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Regarding sky nms, if Bind did start to resist, it took AGES.
Could easilly solo Despot etc soley relying on Bind, and it never ever started getting worse (other than the occational half resist etc, but that's normal).
I never tried Faust much, but Zip and Despot for sure dont start resisting Bind.
 Ragnarok.Arcalimo
Server: Ragnarok
user: arcalimo
By Ragnarok.Arcalimo 2011-08-23 03:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no idea if it does affect potency of gravity, i'd say it doesn't, never noticed the same mob running more or less when landed gravity with crappy gear or whit decent gear, only difference i noticed was in resists and duration.
In the other hand, if you cast gravity on a mob that naturally runs at higher speed %, you can notice it running faster than a mob with normal speed % with gravity on.
So i'd say, if you can notice that, you should notice the difference in potency from gear, and we don't.
 Asura.Mekaider
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-08-23 03:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Could easilly solo Despot etc soley relying on Bind, and it never ever started getting worse (other than the occational half resist etc, but that's normal).
I never tried Faust much, but Zip and Despot for sure dont start resisting Bind.

Yeah, i had similar experiences.
 Lakshmi.Famousplatinum
By Lakshmi.Famousplatinum 2011-08-23 04:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Skill: Helps it Land
Int: Makes it Last Longer

Only thing I know that actually makes Gravity actually more "Potent" is Saboteur iirc. I'm pretty sure
 Ragnarok.Hevans
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-08-23 04:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Famousplatinum said: »
Skill: Helps it Land
Int: Makes it Last Longer

Only thing I know that actually makes Gravity actually more "Potent" is Saboteur iirc. I'm pretty sure

skill and int are both acc. it has a max duration and any amount of resist decreases the duration.
 Phoenix.Fondue
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-08-23 10:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »

despot was the easiest, the fights werent even long enough to get to the point of resisting

zip definitely starts resisting bind and so did faust

everything does lol sleep a lv1 mob 20 times
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-08-23 11:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

This is how I test movement speed. You can see other people's reactions to it below.

I haven't done any testing with Gravity, but I know it's a constant -10 Evasion and I suspect it's a constant movement speed reduction. If INT affects duration (aside from via added MAcc), it would be the only spell I can think of whose duration is modified by a stat.
 Phoenix.Fondue
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-08-23 11:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

definitely a constant movement speed reduction lol the only way int is affecting it is via the macc gained

/everybodyonthesamepage
 Ragnarok.Hevans
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-08-23 11:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fondue said: »
definitely a constant movement speed reduction lol the only way int is affecting it is via the macc gained

/everybodyonthesamepage

i think the only people who don't get it, are the ones who never. no matter how many times you tell them.
 Phoenix.Fondue
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-08-23 11:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

probably :( lol

i only played blm and rdm my entire ffxi career before abyssea came out, loved those 2 jobs to death and now I couldnt hardly stand to play them lol
 Sylph.Yajirobe
Server: Sylph
user: Taruzard
By Sylph.Yajirobe 2011-08-23 11:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bigger brain = more weight!
 Odin.Daemun
Server: Odin
user: daemun
By Odin.Daemun 2011-08-23 11:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say it does, but to a much lesser extent than Enfeelbing skill as my RDM always had binds (at 75) that you could nuke multiple times through before it let up. Until I was merited, and well geared in it on BLM, it seemed as though it gave up much easier.

Gravity time seemed to follow the same principles. Granted, I haven't done much mage stuff since the level cap increases (took a year break): I had made it to the point that I was fairly confident in my Bind and Gravity both landing and lasting until I could recast and was buffed on both RDM and BLM.