Lowman Odin Strategy
First Page 2
 Siren.Inuyushi
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-08-05 07:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So my Einherjar group has grown to where we have beaten T1/T2/T3 chamber in Einherjar and 9 of us almost have access to Odin. Some people are missing T1/T2 feathers. I have fought Odin once before in my old ls and the fight went rather smoothely but we did it with a full alliance and it was overkill but we went in guns blazing. The full alliance helped with his 10k Needle move and having enough tanks/healers/kiters/DD. I have seen SS of a group of 10 winning (Ethereal) but they're all very well equiped. My group would be considered decently geared for some people and very well geared for others.

But what jobs would be absolutely required for this? I know PLD and WHM are a must. How many tanks would be wise to go with? Two PLDs? What's the best way to handle Geirrothr (10k Needles) with so few people? Is a BRD a must to dispel Dread Spikes?

Really it's just Geirrothr that has me stumped. Putting out DMG on him and kiting his Fomor friends isn't a problem. Even Zantetsuken doesn't scare me cause you just sacrifice your lead tank and have the back up take over after if needed.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
 Phoenix.Arhat
Server: Phoenix
user: lithical
By Phoenix.Arhat 2011-08-05 11:25:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Could use a NIN tank with Migawari to take care of 10k Needles.
 Carbuncle.Crollion
Server: Carbuncle
user: Crolion
By Carbuncle.Crollion 2011-08-05 11:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If u don't mind me asking but how many people do u go in with? And what setup do u guys use for the tiers.

Looking to start up einherjar with my ls but we just don't know how bad it is now as compared to back in the 75 days

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-08-05 11:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Crollion said:
If u don't mind me asking but how many people do u go in with? And what setup do u guys use for the tiers.

Looking to start up einherjar with my ls but we just don't know how bad it is now as compared to back in the 75 days

Einherjar lowman can be alot of luck. For example we went with all DDs to a T1 and got double dark elementals. We killed like 6 in 30 mins. We've done T1's in like 20 mins (we're still new and speeding up). I think that was with 9 + a Feather mule. I would suggest for T1/T2 atleast 1 non-dual boxed whm, a RDM for refresh/haste/sleep/backup, a BLM incase you need Magic DMG and the rest just DD. Don't need a PLD. A good WAR/NIN or MNK/WAR does great tanking. Just have everyone assist the tank. From there the peon's just get raped. The bosses are not that difficult except for a few. The worst is when you get worms cause you have to worry about agro'n the boss. a THF to pull does great incase you need a super tank. BLU's do great because of Winds of Promy. Really any DD does great as long as they're well equipped. Even a PUP could excel well due to their versitility in an automaton. Could have a BLM pet or DD pet.

We beat T3 with 9 + feather mule. 2 WHM (only needed one) RDM, MNK (Vere), THF (Twash), BLU (Almace), BLM x2, RNG. We got lucky though. Scorps for wave 1, Kirin for wave 2 and then Hydra boss. Won with 30 secs to open the chest.

Ive given thought to NIN for Migawari but getting hate and holding hate and the timing of putting Odin on him at the 25% moments would be risky. Cause NIN can't tank Odin due to all the AoE imo.
 Siren.Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-08-05 11:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Ryuotas said:
Phoenix.Arhat said:
Could use a NIN tank with Migawari to take care of 10k Needles.

^ This

Only stipulation with Migawari-Tanking anything is that you have to be very, very careful with the amount of TP that is being fed... co-ordinate with your fellow members to ensure that they aren't giving Odin a reason to insta-kill your NIN while his Migawari is down.

Additionally, don't tempt fate even though you've got a back-up tank for when your primary eats Zantetsuken; recklessness doesn't usually end well.

Unless Odin has some sort of innate Regain (been a while since I last fought), there really should be no other issue.

Siren.Inuyushi said:
Is a BRD a must to dispel Dread Spikes?

Under a differing circumstances (where there is no time-limit imposed on you), I would say that BRD is a luxury and not a necessity, however, your battle is not only with Odin, but with time; back-tanking while waiting for Dread Spikes to wear off seems like a sound course of action, but only if he does not re-apply them after they wear.

Frankly, by not taking a BRD for Finale (or BLU for Blank Gaze, though I have no idea what the success rate is like), you're depending on a dice-roll where the odds are stacked against you.

The 10k Moves is a HP% thing, every 25%. Zantetsuken is only at 10% and he gives a 5 second warning. I need to talk to Sov about how he does it with 10. He might go with double BRDs for that Migawari song they have. Thanks for the advice so far.
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-08-05 11:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Just make sure to take a NIN with Migiwari and make sure its up every 25% of his HP.

My group did Odin with 6 recently with Migiwari it really is a joke.
 Fenrir.Uzugami
user: SSJAV
By Fenrir.Uzugami 2011-08-05 11:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Just make sure to take a NIN with Migiwari and make sure its up every 25% of his HP.

*cough*
 Sylph.Lorax
Server: Sylph
user: Lorax
By Sylph.Lorax 2011-08-05 12:09:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll give some insight on this topic as I also run a low-man LS that does einherjar 2x/week. T1's are cake, we crush them in <15 mins with 6-8 ppl. T2's same story, maybe add 5 mins. T3's are a tossup. Depending on the boss those can be stupid easy or annoying as hell (looking at you dvegr boss ***).

As for odin. We have yet to successfully drop him but every time we've got him below 10%, and most recently we timed out @ 5% with 5 people. (would have been 7 but 2 didn't realize they were missing a feather >.>) Our setup usually looks like this: Drk/sam (apocalypse) War/sam (Bravura) Pld/Nin Rdm/nin Rdm/smn Whm/sch Brd/whm and usually a 3rd rdm/smn.

Brd is a MUST, he won't put up dreads often, but they suck and slow you down a TON. Remember to stick him with addle also. Pretty sure that's the only enfeeb that will stick consistently.

Adds don't seem like a problem but they've got 150% movement speed, so you can outrun them with flee, but 12% from legs/feet/whatever won't do jack ***. We use a rdm/nin with a good pdt/mdt set and 5 sets of powder boots.

The 75/50/25% 10k needles issue. We use a combination of tools to get passed this, and it usually goes off without a hitch. First, PETS! Everyone who isn't reliant on their subjob can /smn and pull up an avatar to cut the dmg. Those that need /job for w/e reason (tanks+dd's mainly), I had some Poseidon's rings made up for them. So ideally we've got 12-14~ bodies absorbing the dmg. Second, PDT SETS! Obviously your tank is going to have one of these, but make your DD build a set also, and tell your mages to toss on earth staff or a jelly ring or whatever. This helps TREMENDOUSLY.

Lastly, don't underestimate zantetsuken. By this point you're going to be pretty low on time with a low-man situation. Usually this is what happens to us: We have to slow damage to rebuff before 25% intervals (remember full dispel every 10%), and by the time we hit 20%, we're usually in a mad dash to get him to 10% asap. Which obviously leads to enmity issues. If your dd's go down for zantets and you don't have time to unweak. You're done. Also keep in mind, even if your tank has solid hate, there is a good chance he'll AoE terror your DD's in range of zantets (happened to us last run).

All in all, he's still a challenge @ 90, with <10 people. We've fought him 3x now, each with 5-7 people. First was a wipe @ 9%, 2nd 7%, and 3rd @ 5%.

tl;dr Odin is a *** and he's not to be underestimated if you're low man. Hope this helps.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-08-05 12:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Lorax said:
All in all, he's still a challenge @ 90, with <10 people. We've fought him 3x now, each with 5-7 people. First was a wipe @ 9%, 2nd 7%, and 3rd @ 5%.

tl;dr Odin is a *** and he's not to be underestimated if you're low man. Hope this helps.

Wut? My groups killed with 6-8 at least 4 times already, with 10 minutes to spare, hell last time 1 Kannagi nin (Nightfyre) was our only source of damage and still had 10 minutes to spare. Odins a joke x:
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-08-05 12:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Uzugami said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

*cough*

HEY SUPER AWESOME KITE ADDS DUDE HOW ARE YOU!?

ILU DG
 Sylph.Lorax
By Sylph.Lorax 2011-08-05 12:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Does this guy ever shut the hell up? Just because your group has won a few times doesn't mean other groups will have it as easy. I'd love to know how your only DD survived zantets though. Not like you can disengage > rest without him interrupting. Guess you thought that lie through really well didn't ya?

Anyways, hope my post was informative to the OP. Good luck on your odin.
 Fenrir.Uzugami
By Fenrir.Uzugami 2011-08-05 12:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Fenrir.Uzugami said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

*cough*

HEY SUPER AWESOME KITE ADDS DUDE HOW ARE YOU!?

ILU DG

Y TANKS AM GOOD JUST FINISHED DAT MAAT CAP GONNA FULL-TIME IT ON ERRTHANG I DO YAMEAN? ILU2
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-08-05 12:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Lorax said:
Does this guy ever shut the hell up? Just because your group has won a few times doesn't mean other groups will have it as easy. I'd love to know how your only DD survived zantets though. Not like you can disengage > rest without him interrupting. Guess you thought that lie through really well didn't ya?

Shut up? I'm just stating facts Odin is not hard in the very least.

We had our Vere MNK sit back until the very end after Zant, the NIN is obviously going to go down and id much rather the NIN eat needles every 25% HP solo than the every one else going in and taking damage.
 Fenrir.Uzugami
By Fenrir.Uzugami 2011-08-05 12:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Lorax said:

lol. He's not lying, Idk why you sounding kinda mad right now. Nightfyre was out only source of damage for majority of the Odin. He Migiwari'd the needles move, I kited the adds, and everyone else gtfo'd during the TP moves. It's not hard. We had our Mandau THF+Vere(Or was she on Kannagi NIN that run?) Outside of range incase he went down.
 Sylph.Lorax
By Sylph.Lorax 2011-08-05 12:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd hardly call that a "only DD" but that's cool. I'm glad you guys won, now can you post something informative to help the OP?
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-08-05 12:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Uzugami said:
Sylph.Lorax said:

lol. He's not lying, Idk why you sounding kinda mad right now. Nightfyre was out only source of damage for majority of the Odin. He Migiwari'd the needles move, I kited the adds, and everyone else gtfo'd during the TP moves. It's not hard. We had our Mandau THF+Vere(Or was she on Kannagi NIN that run?) Outside of range incase he went down.

Our THF/MNK got eaten up on the first needles so stayed off the rest of the battle, Night took it down the rest of the way like a Boss.

Sounds to me like you need to revise how you do things.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-08-05 12:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

how does the tank avoid zantetsuken?
disengage and /kneel at the right moment? Or, can you just run away from it?
 Fenrir.Uzugami
By Fenrir.Uzugami 2011-08-05 12:34:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Lorax said:
I'd hardly call that a "only DD" but that's cool. I'm glad you guys won, now can you post something informative to help the OP?
You're making Odin sound out to be hard, with 2 relics. You've yet to kill it like...4 times? We posted we killed it with a Single Kannagi NIN tanking it and doing Majority of the damage the entire fight, how is that not informative..? *one* good Kannagi NIN who can Migawari the needles move, with vere MNK ready to tank after Zan- or incase the Ninja died before hand isn't informative? What else are you looking for us to say? lol
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-08-05 12:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Lorax said:

Take a NIN, its the most optimal way to do odin these days. Preferably Kannagi.
 Fenrir.Uzugami
By Fenrir.Uzugami 2011-08-05 12:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Leoheart said:
He doesn't. He eats it and our other tank(The vere mnk) Takes off afterwards.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-08-05 12:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Leoheart said:

/kneel and maybe you might live, its like a 50/50 chance but you generally want another source of damage away until it goes off because most likely your tank will be dead.
 Sylph.Lorax
By Sylph.Lorax 2011-08-05 12:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm done posting here, you guys do it your way and we do it ours. Not every ls has a kannagi nin and vere mnk to work with, and in that situation I hope I've helped. I'm glad you guys win with your setup, lets try to keep the bickering to a minimum.
 Phoenix.Arhat
Server: Phoenix
user: lithical
By Phoenix.Arhat 2011-08-05 12:40:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin was pretty squishy at 75 as I recall it. I understand how some people drool over v.smite/ukko's/fudo outside but a properly geared Hi is still very solid and I am sure more than enough for Odin.
[+]
 Fenrir.Uzugami
By Fenrir.Uzugami 2011-08-05 12:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Lorax said:
I'm done posting here, you guys do it your way and we do it ours. Not every ls has a kannagi nin and vere mnk to work with, and in that situation I hope I've helped. I'm glad you guys win with your setup, lets try to keep the bickering to a minimum.
Well. Seeing as Gradd posted how we did it, and you flat out said he was lying..... yeah. I really doubt you need a vere/kannagi NIN for Odin anyway. It just helps speed things up. As long as your NIN is good and can hold hate (And keep Migawari up for them needles) He should be fine.
 Sylph.Lorax
By Sylph.Lorax 2011-08-05 12:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad, I didn't realize that calling a liar a liar was bad! He said only DD, didn't mention any other DD's standing on the sidelines til' after I called him out.
 Cerberus.Kelhor
Administrator
Server: Cerberus
user: Rooks
By Cerberus.Kelhor 2011-08-05 12:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

@75, an Excalibur PLD was enough to whittle him down before the time limit. I can't imagine you can't do enough damage now, unless you're doing things like turning to avoid dread spikes, as previously suggested.

I always thought Odin was a lot easier than the tier 3s, just because 1) you knew what you were getting, which was always Ein's big challenge, not knowing and 2) it's one mob, as opposed to 15, which is at the very least, less complicated.

OP: the miwagari strat certainly seems the sanest, so I'd roll with that. You probably don't even need Kannagi, but if you don't have a kannagi NIN, maybe add a RNG or something that can sit at a distance. (COR? damage + buffs, I don't know).
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-08-05 12:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Lorax said:
My bad, I didn't realize that calling a liar a liar was bad! He said only DD, didn't mention any other DD's standing on the sidelines til' after I called him out.

Your the one that started calling names here buddy, sounds to me that your just butt hurt that youve failed 3 times now on a very easy mob.

You say you dont have NIN leveled? So level it and make life easier on your group.

ITT: Its hard to level and gear jobs these days.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2011-08-05 13:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

We used to take Odin with 5 smn+brd in one party, and pld+whm in the old days at 75. It was a aegis pld, and gjallarhorn brd then but should be doable at 90 without those. Fenrir was the only source of DD we used in lowman fights and the brd would swap pts for ballad, but have no experience at 90. I remember it getting crazy a few times from bad timing pushing him past 25% marks when not ready, or summons jumping on a smn or the whm by accident.
[+]
 Fenrir.Uzugami
By Fenrir.Uzugami 2011-08-05 13:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bekisa said:
We used to take Odin with 5 smn+brd in one party, and pld+whm in the old days at 75. It was a aegis pld, and gjallarhorn brd then but should be doable at 90 without those. Fenrir was the only source of DD we used in lowman fights and the brd would swap pts for ballad, but have no experience at 90. I remember it getting crazy a few times from bad timing pushing him past 25% marks when not ready, or summons jumping on a smn or the whm by accident.
This sounds intense. GRADD, BUST OUT THE SUMMONERS. I NEED TO TRY THIS lol
First Page 2