By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-08-05 13:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Fenrir.Fearforever
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Fearforever 2011-08-05 13:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Gradd next time you do Odin any chance me and my wife could come help you out and get the clear for the atma? We've already got T1/2/3 feathers for access
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-08-05 13:25:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fearforever said:
Gradd next time you do Odin any chance me and my wife could come help you out and get the clear for the atma? We've already got T1/2/3 feathers for access

Send me a /tell on monday my Group generally does ein Runs on Monday/thursday or we try too anyways, and yea I don't mind letting you get the clear.
 Fenrir.Fearforever
By Fenrir.Fearforever 2011-08-05 13:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Fenrir.Fearforever said:

Send me a /tell on monday my Group generally does ein Runs on Monday/thursday or we try too anyways, and yea I don't mind letting you get the clear.

Thanks :D, I'm a kannagi NIN to and dont mind sacificing myself :D
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-08-05 13:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fearforever said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Fenrir.Fearforever said:

Thanks :D, I'm a kannagi NIN to and dont mind sacificing myself :D

We try to gather around 5PST/8EST so hit me up around then if your on.
By xeca 2011-08-05 13:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

All ya need is 1 nin 1 good kiter that wont die, is also fast with pulling adds a bard rdm whm and a good DD preferably DRG for hate shedding. = easy win
 Siren.Inuyushi
Server: Siren
user: Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2011-08-05 13:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Lorax said:
I'll give some insight on this topic as I also run a low-man LS that does einherjar 2x/week. T1's are cake, we crush them in <15 mins with 6-8 ppl. T2's same story, maybe add 5 mins. T3's are a tossup. Depending on the boss those can be stupid easy or annoying as hell (looking at you dvegr boss ***).

As for odin. We have yet to successfully drop him but every time we've got him below 10%, and most recently we timed out @ 5% with 5 people. (would have been 7 but 2 didn't realize they were missing a feather >.>) Our setup usually looks like this: Drk/sam (apocalypse) War/sam (Bravura) Pld/Nin Rdm/nin Rdm/smn Whm/sch Brd/whm and usually a 3rd rdm/smn.

Brd is a MUST, he won't put up dreads often, but they suck and slow you down a TON. Remember to stick him with addle also. Pretty sure that's the only enfeeb that will stick consistently.

Adds don't seem like a problem but they've got 150% movement speed, so you can outrun them with flee, but 12% from legs/feet/whatever won't do jack ***. We use a rdm/nin with a good pdt/mdt set and 5 sets of powder boots.

The 75/50/25% 10k needles issue. We use a combination of tools to get passed this, and it usually goes off without a hitch. First, PETS! Everyone who isn't reliant on their subjob can /smn and pull up an avatar to cut the dmg. Those that need /job for w/e reason (tanks+dd's mainly), I had some Poseidon's rings made up for them. So ideally we've got 12-14~ bodies absorbing the dmg. Second, PDT SETS! Obviously your tank is going to have one of these, but make your DD build a set also, and tell your mages to toss on earth staff or a jelly ring or whatever. This helps TREMENDOUSLY.

Lastly, don't underestimate zantetsuken. By this point you're going to be pretty low on time with a low-man situation. Usually this is what happens to us: We have to slow damage to rebuff before 25% intervals (remember full dispel every 10%), and by the time we hit 20%, we're usually in a mad dash to get him to 10% asap. Which obviously leads to enmity issues. If your dd's go down for zantets and you don't have time to unweak. You're done. Also keep in mind, even if your tank has solid hate, there is a good chance he'll AoE terror your DD's in range of zantets (happened to us last run).

All in all, he's still a challenge @ 90, with <10 people. We've fought him 3x now, each with 5-7 people. First was a wipe @ 9%, 2nd 7%, and 3rd @ 5%.

tl;dr Odin is a *** and he's not to be underestimated if you're low man. Hope this helps.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to describe in great detail how things have gone for you. I appreciate all the other contributions but this post was truly the best. I would rather hear how someone lost to Odin than how someone win as people who have lost report more than winners.

We do have a RNG in our group so pulling everyone out every 25% except the NIN and RNG will be doable. If I can spare it, I think I'll have a THF try to transfer hate over to the NIN so our Vere MNK can back out and accomp/collab the RNG to help the NIN out more. I will have to see if I can find a BRD as I don't want to wait out Dread Spikes. We do have a BLU so if we're getting impatient on a BRD I'll have him try his dispel moves and if that doesn't work we'll just have to wait it out.

The Flee boots are a great idea. I'll be the RDM/NIN for the fight so I'll buy some of those for the occasion. I successfully kited the adds once in our first fight but the second and third time they got me hardcore. I had given thought to making a RDM/BLU -PDT build for the occasion and just super tanking them but I don't know how I feel about that. I feel safer with Flee Boots. I may roll RDM/BLU with Flee boots instead also. I'll report back to here how it goes.

Do BLMs do ok on this? Would it be better to roll out with all DDs on him? I know RNG does well due to being out of range. Can a NIN and MNK team tank Odin?

Thanks for all the help guys. If I remember I'll try and Fraps the fight.

Lorax thanks for sharing your past tries. Also I would love to try the SMN burn method to Odin. That'd be awesome. BST/RNG/COR/SMN burn would be sweet.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-08-05 21:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Ryuotas said:
Only stipulation with Migawari-Tanking anything is that you have to be very, very careful with the amount of TP that is being fed... co-ordinate with your fellow members to ensure that they aren't giving Odin a reason to insta-kill your NIN while his Migawari is down.
I can't remember any other moves triggering Migawari even with capped + merited Ninjutsu skill. Hume w/ HP merits though, maybe an MP merit Taru might trigger.

@Lorax: I did ~75% of the damage for that fight. If there hadn't been another DD present, know what works great? Adds kiter holds Odin long enough for me to get up and Mijin/reraise/engage. Actually, pretty much anyone present could have held him long enough. Gee, that was really difficult to come up with.

lol @ "not every ls has a Kannagi NIN" coming from a group with two relics. You don't need an empyrean NIN, you just need a functional brain stem. Migawari's only useful three times in the fight, if your NIN can't provide enough damage then bring other DDs and have them back off before the HP% triggers.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Roark
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Roark 2011-08-05 21:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

my ls is able to do odin with 8 ppl

thing is a joke aside from 10k needles, but even that isn't that bad

scherzo from bard, aoe stoneskin from whm, everyone in range. most of the time dont all die. worst situation we had like 5 ppl die and had our ochain hold for 5mins while we unweakened. killed it in 15mins with having to wait 5mins on weakness
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-08-05 21:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Just make sure to take a NIN with Migiwari and make sure its up every 25% of his HP.

My group did Odin with 6 recently with Migiwari it really is a joke.

This ^
 Fenrir.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-08-05 22:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sigh... really? >_>;

Scherzo and/or Earthen Armor is a suitable replacement for Migawari. @@;
 Cerberus.Vaness
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-05 22:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So I have a question here.
We are having a debate in ls.
Geirrothr (10k needle from odin)

is physical or magical?
I say physical, my friend say magical caus he said shell blocked some dmg (wtf?)

wiki description:
Family: Odin
Type: Physical?
Can be dispelled: N/A
Utsusemi/Blink absorb: Ignores shadows
Range: Unknown
Notes: Odin uses this ability every time he loses 25% of health. Equivalent of 10000 Needles. Before using this move, he has a monologue: "The true power of Gungnir cometh not from the blade herself, but from the countless souls it hath sent to the corpse-halls of the Underworld!"

thoughs?
 Fenrir.Uzugami
user: SSJAV
By Fenrir.Uzugami 2011-08-05 22:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
So I have a question here.
We are having a debate in ls.
Geirrothr (10k needle from odin)

is physical or magical?
I say physical, my friend say magical caus he said shell blocked some dmg (wtf?)

wiki description:
Family: Odin
Type: Physical?
Can be dispelled: N/A
Utsusemi/Blink absorb: Ignores shadows
Range: Unknown
Notes: Odin uses this ability every time he loses 25% of health. Equivalent of 10000 Needles. Before using this move, he has a monologue: "The true power of Gungnir cometh not from the blade herself, but from the countless souls it hath sent to the corpse-halls of the Underworld!"

thoughs?

I always thought it was magical. :X but a friend has said that sentinel works for it, so idk. o_o;
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-08-05 22:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure it's physical.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-05 22:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

hello nightfyre how are you today
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-05 22:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
same here, but we are having this war in ls atm >.<
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-08-05 22:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I was always led to believe it was magical, but on the other hand I always went whm, so I just know how to keep and back out/recast shellra V at the right times :|
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-05 23:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
same here, but we are having this war in ls atm >.<

does this war have a ukon??????????//////////?/?!1!?!1?
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-05 23:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I was always led to believe it was magical, but on the other hand I always went whm, so I just know how to keep and back out/recast shellra V at the right times :|
Funny caus I'm fighting with neebix atm, wich was from WW too.
I guess it's a WW belief but I am almost certain that move is physical.
 Fenrir.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-08-05 23:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:

Same.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-08-05 23:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm 100% positive it's physical. I tanked Odin a few times BLU/WAR and took very little damage from it with -50% PDT. It works exactly like 1000 needles.

Regardless, migawari makes odin incredibly easy. We just odin with 6 a couple hours ago and had 10 minutes remaining. We had to wait 5m because someone pulled hate right as he used 10k needles and killed most of the dds, but even so we had plenty of time.

Also, more importantly, you do NOT need to kite the fomors @90. BLU/RDM with diaga + occultation + whirl of rage + actinic burst + stoneskin can simply stand still and let them hit you until they depop. They didn't even break stoneskin from /rdm before they depopped.

If you wanted to go super lowman. NIN BLU RDM THF could do it I'm sure. Can replace BLU with kiter if you wish, but the additional damage from cannonball is nice for safely triggering 10k needles.
 Quetzalcoatl.Roark
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Roark 2011-08-05 23:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

physical, shadow mantle can block it
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-05 23:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said:
I'm 100% positive it's physical. I tanked Odin a few times BLU/WAR and took very little damage from it with -50% PDT. It works exactly like 1000 needles.

We're you like 18 standing in range?
10k/18=550 if you have stoneskin on (about 300 dmg) you take like 250
if you have pet job such as smns or whm/smns
it's 10k/18ppl + num. of pets up while he does it + SS and it goes...

It's a bit weird for me caus the last time I did Odin, our ls was using 18 ppl using smns + rng. (some whm was /smn if they didnt had /sch).Using about 6 - 7 smns, that divid the dmg by alot with the SS.

Mind explaining you strategi and how many you were in range?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-08-06 00:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

That post that describes their hard time with odin confuses me... It really isn't that hard at all and can be 6 manned easily.
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-08-06 00:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
Bismarck.Helel said:

We're you like 18 standing in range?
10k/18=550 if you have stoneskin on (about 300 dmg) you take like 250
if you have pet job such as smns or whm/smns
it's 10k/18ppl + num. of pets up while he does it + SS and it goes...

It's a bit weird for me caus the last time I did Odin, our ls was using 18 ppl using smns + rng. (some whm was /smn if they didnt had /sch).Using about 6 - 7 smns, that divid the dmg by alot with the SS.

Mind explaining you strategi and how many you were in range?

The migawari strat or when I used to go BLU/WAR? When I was BLU/WAR we had no more than 2 parties, and they were never filled, usually 10-11 people. I don't think I've ever done Odin with 18. Diamondhide in each party was good, or earthen ward, or accession stoneskin, etc. Kiter back in those days was not in range for obvious reasons, so it was usually around 9-10 people to absorb the damage. Then we had whms go /smn if possible, and 1-2 drgs, for some extra mitigation.

The strat now is really simple. 77 52 27% run away from odin, let NIN take it down (ranged damage is fine, the aoe is 20' surrounding the person with hate, but don't pull hate!). What we usually do is NIN puts up migawari when he has tp, he does blade: hi, I do CA+Cannonball, and that usually triggers it. Very easy and safe.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-08-06 02:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh well, gonna get a odin pop go naked and use sentinel! we will see if it's Physical :3

But I am pretty sure it is, kinda just want confirmation like a tard >.<
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-08-06 07:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure I've heard that sentinel does work. I know our old PLD barely took any damage from it.