Another set advice thread
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13
 Quetzalcoatl.Lanien
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Tymon
By Quetzalcoatl.Lanien 2013-02-01 17:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Thoughts on Caudata Belt in favor of Soil (Stardiver) and Prosilio (Drakes)?

Especially in Legion. That WS accuracy carries across all hits.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2013-02-02 14:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Lanien said: »
Thoughts on Caudata Belt in favor of Soil (Stardiver) and Prosilio (Drakes)?

Especially in Legion. That WS accuracy carries across all hits.

No on the Caudata belt, since the fTP and Acc on Ele belt transfers on Diver and yes, Prosilio is good for Drakes depending on your attack.
 Carbuncle.Shadowreapper
Server: Carbuncle
user: MrReapper
By Carbuncle.Shadowreapper 2013-02-05 07:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Ddbone said: »
Incoming massive post...

Looking for some opinions:

TP:

TP return 20.1 / hit

WS:

TP return 16.6 first hit additional hits 1.2

So right away I need all hits to land on Stardiver to go 100 in 4 more hits.

Q: Anyone think its worth it to switch in Hagneia stone which would mean I'd only need the first hit and 1 extra hit to get to 100 in 4 hits. (note: I won't be getting rose strap for a while, I'm working on my Moonshade in my free/random time right now and don't plan on campaigning for strap till after)

I loose a fair bit of DPS dropping Potestas for Hagneia and it only makes a difference if I miss a hit on Stardiver.

Another option is to switch tyrants into WS set and that allows for 1 missed hit in the WS.

This all being said, throw in my jump set:

TP return 20 base tp

This keeps me at a fully landed Stardiver + OAT proc on spirit jump brings me to 100 tp. (I think, I'm kinda unsure here about how tp return works on spirit jump, I could really use some advice on jump set.)

Q: the tp bonus on empy feet is added into the dmg formula of the jump or thats a bonus 5 tp returned after? If it's after I can swap in some more attack or something.

I guess the overall question is do you think its better to risk it on a 4/4 Stardiver to 4 hit to 100 (2 OAT procs) or would it be better build in some allowance for missed hits. Personally I prefer to just gamble on 4 hits to 100, with procs and stuff chances are I'm left with an extra hit above 100 half the time anyhow, but I wouldn't mind seeing some opinions, in case I messed up on math or left out some gear I'm not thinking of.

Note: most things I'd be doing is Neo-nyzul, neo and old salvage, ein, limbus, namis, meebles etc.
On tp set, you should replace your neck with ganesha.

On ws, you should use a moonshade earring over the str one (with att/tpbonus), and use thew bomblet instead of potetas.

For jumps, I used to stack as more da/ta etc, but I noticed this wasn't the best set to use. So basicly spirit/soul jumps should looks like a TP set, with windbuffet, and lancer legs. In your set, maybe try to swap lancer hands with oger, and hagneia stone.

Also, if you can afford hugings gambieras, basicly fulltime them unless you using spirit, and then you should swap to lancer. They give a 5tp return bonus. Confirmation needed, but even when you're jumping for 0dmg (invincible, stoneskin, w/e), you SHOULD get the 5tp bonus, still.
 Asura.Kurriko
Server: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2013-02-05 08:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Rose grip will make your life a LOT easier if you're not going for the Ares+1 build. Your WS set will be the same (excluding grip of course) and your TP set can swap AF3+2 body/bullwhip/potatas for goading/hagneia and one of Ker's/Ace's/Enif body (Enif being the best).

There's an Ares+1 based set that's better than that on a lot of content too, but I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Think this is what I use atm, Ace's to be replaced by Enif, and Mekira with +1, but Drg is really low priority for gil. Oh and Kokou's over Ghillie, but I haven't done any meebles yet.

Soul jump swaps in Ogier hands and pyrosoul ring to make up for losing spirit jump TP bonus. WS set needs 2 hits to land. 1-hit WS swap in ogier hands instead.
 Odin.Volane
Server: Odin
user: Volane
By Odin.Volane 2013-02-05 10:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Would this be the suitable Ares+1 combination you mentioned?

Should be a 5 hit according to my calculator(ninja edit: as long as you get 2 hits in). Does it even beat the set including Phorcys?

And while I'm at it, for WS, Ares+1 Legs or Whirlwind dirs? (dont have the dirs, AF3+2 as a rep?)
 Cerberus.Ddbone
Server: Cerberus
user: ddbone
By Cerberus.Ddbone 2013-02-05 11:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank for the advice all.

So I got my Mala yesterday after prolly 50 or so pops... thank god, so I'm tping and jumping in that now.

Basically I'm jumping in TP gear except adding in emp+2 legs and feet, and goading on soul (to recover the stp loss of dropping phorcys legs.)

I'm working on Enif body now and I'll focus more on rose strap, and once I get 'em, I'll clean up Potestas and Bullwhip to goading and Hagneia, and switch windbuffet in on soul jump. (I'm doing WotG missions right now for moonshade)

Nice to have a clear path to focus on for a definite upgrade.

Thanks again
 Carbuncle.Verina
Server: Carbuncle
user: Verina
By Carbuncle.Verina 2013-02-05 20:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone put thought into sets if /drk (with the proposed changes) becomes the go-to melee subjob of choice for 2H DD's? Would that even really change anything?

I can't seem to get the spreadsheet to work on my computer, or I'm doing it wrong, but whats the thought behind 5 hit on /war? It would take Ogier's hands and AF3+2 Body but you should be able to hit 50 sTP with that.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2013-02-06 07:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Verina said: »
Has anyone put thought into sets if /drk (with the proposed changes) becomes the go-to melee subjob of choice for 2H DD's? Would that even really change anything?

I can't seem to get the spreadsheet to work on my computer, or I'm doing it wrong, but whats the thought behind 5 hit on /war? It would take Ogier's hands and AF3+2 Body but you should be able to hit 50 sTP with that.

I can't say I've put much thought into it, but essentially the trade off would be 5% haste (Since Last Resort will only give 5% more than Hasso) in exchange for losing your 5hit. Theres also the attack bonuses and stuff I guess but hey... There is the posibility that /DRK may win but I can't say for sure (No math has went into this post, so yeah).
By Ophannus 2013-02-06 15:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

On paper it looks shitty on any fight longer than 3 minutes. In a 3 minute fight you're basically weighing 15% attack, 5% haste vs sekkanoki, meditate and a 5 hit, I'd say at best they're probably about equal since the extra 3-5 weapon skills you could edge out from /SAM ftw. You're attacking faster on /DRK but not enough to compensate for needing an entire extra hit to reach 100% TP(6 hit vs 5hit) at least not in 3 minutes. Any fight over 3minutes and /DRK's usefulness plummets majorly(once last resort wears, you lose your haste boost whilst /SAM's hasso can be maintained indefinitely). Don't forget /SAM offers survivability via Third Eye/Seigan too. /DRK looks very underwhelming, maybe it could replace /WAR in VW but on paper it doesn't hold a candle to /SAM unless you're buffed to the teeth and then only for 3 minutes and if you get dispelled or LR somehow wears off, you're worthless.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2013-02-07 10:05:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ihm, I am having trouble believing that brutal earring with ryu AM up is the best considering how da has a near zero effect during tp phase since it doesn't play nice with mythic AM. The only thing I can think of is either: the SS doesn't calculate mythic AM properly or that you desperately need that 1stp to break an important tier. If it's the former, well it just needs fixing. If it's the latter I would push to get the tp somewhere else and grab a ghillie.

I haven't updated my gearsets on the site in quite some time, so dont go by those, but I take a different approach to AM down set. Instead of loading up on multi hit and treating it like any other polearm set for optimal dot I prioritize getting tp in the fastest manner possible to regain my AM. I see gearing for dps when AM is down (at the expense of gaining tp) as a waste. 1st priority should be getting AM back imo. When drgs damage is 20%ish melee, 5%ish jumps, and 75%ish WS, focusing on melee damage when AM is down just doesn't play out as well as just getting AM back up.

Posting from phone and ffAH sets outta date so can't show you my sets this second. I'll try to update them.

As for /drk, dont forget that we can 5hit without /sam now. For ryu owners, gut says it should beat /sam for short zergs. We can't open with a sekka because of 300AM so that is lost on us in that situation. So we loose out on a better tp set making up 15stp (melee is a tiny fraction of damage though), sekka is barely worth using mid zerg, as is meditate. The ja delay in max haste is a waste for med and similarly for sekka. On the other hand /drk gets us from 78-80 haste, and would even allow us to use 22% haste tp sets that might offset the pain of gearing 15stp more (at least to some degree) while giving us mini zerk and the option to SE.

Its situational and requires gear tweaks, but i can't fathom /sam beating /drk for a 3min or less full buff zerg if geared for it with ryu. Would the opening sekka for non ryu drgs make up the dif? I dunno. No way if you have the support for any SE usage.

/drk is another tool in our box if you use it correctly at the correct time. Its not the new default, but it is a new situational sub.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2013-02-08 15:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aanalaty said: »
Ihm, I am having trouble believing that brutal earring with ryu AM up is the best considering how da has a near zero effect during tp phase since it doesn't play nice with mythic AM. The only thing I can think of is either: the SS doesn't calculate mythic AM properly or that you desperately need that 1stp to break an important tier. If it's the former, well it just needs fixing. If it's the latter I would push to get the tp somewhere else and grab a ghillie.

I haven't updated my gearsets on the site in quite some time, so dont go by those, but I take a different approach to AM down set. Instead of loading up on multi hit and treating it like any other polearm set for optimal dot I prioritize getting tp in the fastest manner possible to regain my AM. I see gearing for dps when AM is down (at the expense of gaining tp) as a waste. 1st priority should be getting AM back imo. When drgs damage is 20%ish melee, 5%ish jumps, and 75%ish WS, focusing on melee damage when AM is down just doesn't play out as well as just getting AM back up.

It does calc mythic AM properly, and brutal does come out better than ghillie +1, I'm just going by the math. The 1sTP does help really whether you disagree or not /shrug.

I also built my AM down set by looking at my speed to get to 300% not the dps I did, which meant that capping haste with lots of multihit was the quickest way (I didn't pull the sets out my *** either, the speed was math'd too), and it only gains 20 tp/hit since anything over that is inconsequential generally.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2013-02-08 19:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I should have been more specific. The sets you posted look fine for lower tiered things, but less than ideal for the really high end mobs. Maybe im biased because when im in drg, im usually in legion, so thats my default thinking.

For DPS:
In you set with no outside multi hit buffs, brutal is only adding 0.53% more hits. 8atk, even at high atk ranges (but still uncapped using some standard zerg buffs like min/chaos) will do more DOT than that by an additional 0.8ish%. Thats before you add in the 3 acc (1-2% more hit rate when uncapped that will basically curb stomp it in the DOT department).

TP gain
Then you have the TP gain. 1stp brings you from 59-60 stp. 20.1 to 20.2 tp/hit. Between that and the 0.53% more hits you get 0.8% more TP over time. However, when acc is uncapped, it reverses of course in favor of 3 acc to -0.5%ish to -1.2%ish depending on your actual hit rate.
*Looses ~0.5-1.2% in TP when acc uncapped
*bumps from 21.1-21.2 TP/hit
*Losses additional ground when regain effects (embrava, etc) are in effect

Its not grevious by any means, but the only aspect that can save it is based on a specific WS build with lower STP when no regain is in place. You do use a lower STP WS set, but it also has a WHOOOOLE lot less acc.

Maybe Im biased because I focus primarily on legion these days with drg, so my sets (the acc oriented ones I use most frequently) cant afford things like phorcys body in a drakes set so it bumps up my STP numbers to never need the 60STP that you use because of higher WS returns. Stuff like phorcys is stuffed into my lower acc sets and only when regain effects are present so it doesnt jack up my STP.

You just never said what your 'ideal' sets targets were so I stuck in my own standard targets. Id imagine you would have a secondary set for a different mob type. My go-to sets have about 15 more acc in melee and 30 more acc in WS (and my WS acc is still not where it needs to be for those mobs until i get new belt+C head+1 if ever).

Against higher tiered mobs you have to WS in lancers, which bumps down your STP in TP making ogiers essentially wasted in favor of Ares+1 gloves and goading while the acc pushes ghillie well over brutal.

There just isnt 'one' ideal set unless you only fight 1 type of monster.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2013-02-08 19:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Stuff

It is my unbuffed set for low tier stuff. Yeah, other gear is better on higher stuff, but since thats not what the set was, then I stick by my comments.

Since I do nothing ingame other than AFK in jeuno though cause Sirens ***, I never bothered to actually work out gear for other settups.
[+]
 Asura.Kurriko
Server: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2013-02-09 06:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Instead of loading up on multi hit and treating it like any other polearm set for optimal dot I prioritize getting tp in the fastest manner possible to regain my AM.
Huh? gearing for multihit (with capped haste, maintaining your hit build) IS the fastest manner possible to regain AM3...
[+]
By Ophannus 2013-02-09 14:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't take into account Ryunohige for the /DRK discussion because frankly there are only like 20 of you in the world.
[+]
 Fenrir.Evildemon
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-02-09 17:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
I didn't take into account Ryunohige for the /DRK discussion because frankly there are only like 20 of you in the world.

Your joking right? You do realize the # on ffxiah isn't an actual representation of the amount that exist. I'd say at least double the # you see would be a better representation of that #.
By Ophannus 2013-02-10 20:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I got it from the Vana'diel Census, unless that's wrong.
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-02-10 20:20:10
Link | Quote | Reply

And since then mythic #'s have exploded. A lot more now then that existed several months ago. I mean ***I can think of a few people that have 2 or 3 and both of which have ryu. Which they didn't have at the time of the census
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2013-02-11 03:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
I got it from the Vana'diel Census, unless that's wrong.

Yeah, the census is wrong. Apparently only 11 people had 110 fishing and at the time I already knew 5 on my server alone...
 Fenrir.Evildemon
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-02-11 07:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Wrll it really depends on when they collected the data vs posting it
By Ricon 2013-02-11 20:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

TP

Stardiver

Not sure what anyone thinks but it's a smooth 20.0/swing.

You can change the H. Stone and Kokou's for a Rose Strap and anything you want in those slots.

Capped Haste, 646 Att. unbuffed and plenty of multi-attack.

I might be wrong but I sure do love it.
By Ophannus 2013-02-12 00:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Whirlwind Dirs. Throw them away unless you have mandau. Lancer Cuissots it up. The attack>DA and str like literally all the time unless you're buffed to the teeth and even then.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2013-02-12 08:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you reliably getting 20 tp per WS? If not you want more stp in your tp set.
By Ricon 2013-02-12 11:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

My Drg normally only sees the light of day in NNI and VW, I can swap the pants no issue. The tp return on ws never matters much since I have massive regain in the areas I'm using it. My avg return is over 20 be it from conserve tp making 30+ or the low end is 17 which 1 tick of regain boosts over 20 for 4 hit status. My real purpose was that I never see my tp build, maybe lack of decent drgs I see or my lack of searching forums. That set builds tp in a silly fashion, any changes of note you see? Please keep in mind a Ryu is a bonanza prize and herja's is out of reach atm. Drg is a tertiary job for me.
By Ophannus 2013-02-12 21:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

In that case swap Corazza with Lancer Plackart and your set will be a lot more well rounded to be honest. The 2% QA isn't so good if it means losing a reliable 5hit built(also Plackart stats are pretty good, so the losing 2%QA won't be so noticeable with the major boosts to DEX/STR/ATT that Plackart gives.)
By Ricon 2013-02-13 15:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I did some NNI and some campaign for about 6 hours yesterday and hundreds of ws later normal stardiver is returning 20 normally 36 on conserve tp proc and my favorite 3 when I suck. That's using my above sets. I'm going to swap the legs in ws for lancer's and pretty much let it ride.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [32 days between previous and next post]
 Fenrir.Vazerus
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2013-03-17 23:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

For Drakesbane (usually inside Abyssea, since I use Stardiver outside), should I:
-WS in Twilight Helm
-WS in Mekira-oto on specific days for +0.1 FTP, WS in Twilight Helm when I don't get the bonus
-WS in Mekira-oto always

...until I get Mekira +1
 Siren.Thoraeon
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-03-18 00:07:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Inside Aby your dex is capped. Mekira will win.
 Fenrir.Vazerus
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2013-03-18 01:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you ^^
 Bahamut.Cloudxx
Server: Bahamut
user: avengerx
By Bahamut.Cloudxx 2013-03-21 06:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lookings for some upgrades to my tp and ws sets

TP:
ItemSet 293646

WS(Stardiver):
ItemSet 293647

I don't really have access to NNI gear(cause no one will invite a hoarfrost drk) or salvage II gear (I don't even have the basic salvage gear so no one will invite me)

Sixgill is store tp +13
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13