NIN Gear Sets; Need some advice
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-11 13:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Also, usually if you delete an item the next item you input will take the spot that was deleted; not always tho
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Doesn't always work.

:D
 Quetzalcoatl.Selim
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Wanderer
By Quetzalcoatl.Selim 2011-06-11 16:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Merru said:
Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread, but if don't have one, I would strongly recommend getting a -MDT set, I've had it work wonders for me, and I tend to use it far more than my -PDT set.

Can you show me an ideal -MDT set?
 Fenrir.Vazerus
Server: Fenrir
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2011-06-11 16:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I currently use for -MDT, though an obvious upgrade would be -6% Dark Rings to replace the Merman's Rings.

-edit- Unsure how Shellra V, -MDT, and +MDB work together, sadly. I don't usually go out of my way to look that kind of stuff up, but I'm probably doing it wrong somehow, lol.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-06-11 17:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shell V capped gives somewhere around -28. So you really only need 22% in gear. Dark Ring -6 MDT x2, Earrings, Denali, and Twilight Torque would put you at cap. Leaving the rest of the spots for INT and MDB.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-11 17:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

shellra V is ~27% mdt, so you need 23% to cap with shellra V, 26(?) with shell V.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-11 17:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

no, mdb is not mdt
 Odin.Upbeat
Server: Odin
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-06-11 17:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Virtuosus said:
This would be the best set I think for pure damage on elemental ninjutsu. Yes, I'm extremely bored today. Too bad it's not very practical to carry around all this gear, this looks fun lol.

I would switch Denali Gamashes for Ninja Kyahan +1, Denali Kecks for Sangoma Lappas, and Mirke Wardecors for Kirin's Osode.

Augmented Demon's Rings are pretty nice, but I've never seen math on them vs INT rings.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Vazerus
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2011-06-11 17:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
no, mdb is not mdt
Do you know the exact relation between them mathematically? I've been given off hilter responses and still not sure to be honest
That's kinda what I was asking with my edit :(.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-11 17:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

mdt caps at 50% total, bar aegis etc. mdb is separate. according to wiki 1 mdb is just under 1% dt.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-11 17:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Wiki mentions it lowers magic damage taken by a bit less than 1%. but if MDB just goes up like normal defense and MDT is capped then you could have 100% less magic damage taken from MDB alone, after you cap MDT at 50% technically.

Sounds odd thats why I was so curious

A paladin could cap PDT at 50% then wear gear for defense 999 and take even less dmg. so Maybe it works the same with MDB? or maybe Lorzy is just wrong? idk lol
wrong about what, that mdb and mdt are not the same stat? -_-

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-11 18:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

no, damage calculated is based on several things, including dint/dmnd (black magic and ninjutsu/offensive white magic), mab/mdb, mdt. where int and mnd affect damage taken is in dint/dmnd. where mdb affects damage is in mab/mdb. mdt is probably applied after those, separately.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-11 18:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

i don't understand what you're asking

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-11 18:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

i dunno what the cap is, but as far as i know people just try to cap mdt and stack on whatever mdb they can.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-11 19:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
I'm asking if MDB caps or if we can stack so much of it that all nukes hit for zero just like "so much defense, all melee hits for zero"

or if it caps like MDT and if so, if anyone knows the values. This whole area of info has been unresolved it seems, or I'm just part of the wrong communities
It's all on the wiki, actually.

Think of MAB as a value starting at 100 and MDB doing the same. It's actually 1.0 but whole numbers are easier etc. You calculate damage at this stage of the process by multiplying prior values by MAB/MDB. So when you have 88 MAB, it's 188/100. When you add 88 MDB, it's 100/188. As such, it exhibits decreasing returns and you're not going to bring a spell down to 0 damage via MDB gear alone.
 Quetzalcoatl.Idkmybffjill
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: tooheyv
By Quetzalcoatl.Idkmybffjill 2011-06-11 19:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Mdb doesn't cap(or at least doesn't cap in the first ~100mdb), and has diminishing returns. I have no idea if brew adds mdb or not, but the 2nd scenario sounds like it would be correct.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2011-06-11 22:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I only know that at like 120mdb you will see returns if you add more mdb, thus I assume there is no cap.

The only test I can think of without intentionally trying to get a brewed person charmed: If you took fakeouryu(I'm forgetting its name) and capped earth resist, his attacks might even out to standard dmg. Then you could get an average with no mdt, followed by wearing a mdt set. if dmg goes down it means that brew doesn't cap mdt(or that the mdt it gives doesn't apply to cap).

If brew isn't mdt, then could try to wear dmg taken+ gear(with out the capped earth resist) and try to get access to lots of mdb and see if dmg goes down. (This is impractical as I cant think of how you would get enough mdb to be noticable if it infact does give 999mdb).

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-06-11 23:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Just thought I'd pitch in that Mirke with eva+ augment beats everything else for pure evasion. Also OP, your TP set is over capped haste. If you have usukane feet, use dusk+1 and usu feet. If you don't have usu feet, switch your agasaya to a tiercel and your hands to something with better DD stats (maybe iga hands for more set bonus procs?).
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-06-11 23:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Switching to Teircel and dropping Dusk puts you under cap. If you don't have Usu boots try and get some Augmented B. Haidate with Crit damage, if not, just stick with haste overflow and the set you have.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-11 23:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Brew is damage taken -90% in general but idk how we could test MDB that way hmmmm
If you know the value of all variables but one and have a result for your equation, it's rather simple to solve for the final variable. I don't know the floor for dINT though.
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2011-06-13 09:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So someone else, post their own ideal sets for Outside/Abyssea/Nuking/Evasion/PDT/MDT.

Looking to re-purpose NIN for Kikoku and the push to lvl 95.