Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Jarbino
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2011-05-13 13:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Cerberus.Kiori said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
didn't see you ask about atma merits hopefully you just looked @ other topics but in case you didn't

Cure Cast Time 5/5
Bar Spell Effect 5/5

Shellra V 5/5
Protectra V 1/5
Martyr 1/5
Devotion 3/5

No matter what you do, go 5/5 on barspell and Shellra V, some people argue about details beyond that but very few serious WHMs argue with those 2 categories.
The 5/5 barspells to me is just silly. How often and where do you use a lot of barspells? Before we could go pass 75, sure, I can think of a few places, Sky...Avatar Fights...that's what I think of...now adays. I cast it now again.

Am I saying WHMs shouldn't merit bar spells? No. I personally did Cure Cast time 5/5 and Regen 5/5...no problem curing, and my tanks like my Regen 4s with my af3+1 mits and cleric's briallute (sp). All I'm saying is it's not neccessary required to do 5/5 bar, not anymore.

Well I disagree, I also believe most WHMs would disagree with you. if anything I would understand someone not meriting cure cast time because they used to hit cap (new cap if any is unknown on fast cast and cure cast) without the merits but usually those people swap not doing cure cast time and keep barspells/regen.

You want to talk about what used to be important and what's not important today? MP conserving.. the point of Regen was to conserve MP and reduce hate to the healer. I don't cast Regen anymore because I will just cure people to full HP even if it's ridiculous overkill @ 98% HP cause they're going to get cureskin from me. I also never have hate problems anymore.

I rarely use Regen today it's very situational for me, I use barspells all the time.

100% Agree with Tweek. Most fights nowadays require Shell+barspell. Not sure what you fight that doesn't require it.
By Reikouki 2011-05-13 13:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Barspells are totally worth it. If any of you are working with a group that does not use barspells on NM fights is just silly. I can understand for mobs that spam multiple spells it becomes less useful, but a lot of higher tier NMs, all it takes is a quick Wiki visit to change a (insert element here)aga III/IV from 1000 damage to 200 or 0 like people said above, not reason not to use it. =/
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-13 13:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Nik why do you even post man, people come to the forums asking advice because they want to try and be the best. You openly admit that you don't even care and don't try hardly at all but then you act as if you are a legendary WHM.

The same reason you turn every single whm thread into a soliloqy about your version of how to do whm the right way. You want to be the very best, like no one ever was! etc. trollface.jpg

I'm the balance. The yang to your raging ying. and I just like getting a rise out of you guys. You take this stuff WAY TOO SERIOUSLY

Oh btw I'm legendary alright. Legendary at sucking. Plus I'm a bitter old elf who never got invited to parties, plus I have taru mp jealousy. Also, I like to say things like "barspells dont work" just to start stuff.

And listening to the same arguement over and over and over and over again bores me to tears

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-13 14:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
In order to effectively troll another, one must first troll himself and sustain their balance thereafter.

/mind blown

(the explosion was laughably small)

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kiori
Server: Cerberus
user: Kiori
By Cerberus.Kiori 2011-05-13 14:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Why do you think you're burning through so much MP? If you reduced damage given to your party of DDs that would be less MP you need to spend curing them.

Also I used to be the only WHM in our alliance on every LS event we did with 12+ people with a RDM or two. We only recently have been able to start bringing a second WHM with us and it's pretty nice let's me relax some.

I think you would find another 5+ refresh more useful than Allure you should try it out could help with MP. Did you do get all the HP/MP+ abyssites? If not you should tell your LS leader to take time for 1 event to go get them for everyone it helps I did it with my LS, I was thankful and my MNKs look like HP manimals. You can get them all pretty quick with a group.
if you're talking about ASA (i don't have) or Turuls (I have) I'd rather have the Allure. The emnity down is pretty nice and I've had no problems. I'd have to check to see if I'm missing some of the abyssites though if I have them or not, I have some not sure if all.
 Cerberus.Kiori
user: Kiori
By Cerberus.Kiori 2011-05-13 14:24:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Cerberus.Kiori said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
didn't see you ask about atma merits hopefully you just looked @ other topics but in case you didn't

Cure Cast Time 5/5
Bar Spell Effect 5/5

Shellra V 5/5
Protectra V 1/5
Martyr 1/5
Devotion 3/5

No matter what you do, go 5/5 on barspell and Shellra V, some people argue about details beyond that but very few serious WHMs argue with those 2 categories.
The 5/5 barspells to me is just silly. How often and where do you use a lot of barspells? Before we could go pass 75, sure, I can think of a few places, Sky...Avatar Fights...that's what I think of...now adays. I cast it now again.

Am I saying WHMs shouldn't merit bar spells? No. I personally did Cure Cast time 5/5 and Regen 5/5...no problem curing, and my tanks like my Regen 4s with my af3+1 mits and cleric's briallute (sp). All I'm saying is it's not neccessary required to do 5/5 bar, not anymore.

Well I disagree, I also believe most WHMs would disagree with you. if anything I would understand someone not meriting cure cast time because they used to hit cap (new cap if any is unknown on fast cast and cure cast) without the merits but usually those people swap not doing cure cast time and keep barspells/regen.

You want to talk about what used to be important and what's not important today? MP conserving.. the point of Regen was to conserve MP and reduce hate to the healer. I don't cast Regen anymore because I will just cure people to full HP even if it's ridiculous overkill @ 98% HP cause they're going to get cureskin from me. I also never have hate problems anymore.

I rarely use Regen today it's very situational for me, I use barspells all the time.

100% Agree with Tweek. Most fights nowadays require Shell+barspell. Not sure what you fight that doesn't require it.
I've never seen a fight where I've sat back and wished I should have merited my bar spells. I still use bar spells on occasions, and if a spell was cast on a part member it's never taken them passed yellow hp (unless they were in yellow before). I still don't see the "requirement" for these merits.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2011-05-13 14:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to use allure for Emnity- and MND+ until I realized that with the -20 emnity from MM along with whatever is on my gear, it wasn't doing a ton. That and if I'm gonna end up getting hate anyway, the difference in emnity might not have made the difference. Even if it did, WHM can take quite a beating... since Cure V casts so quickly it's easy enough to wait it out.

The new Tranquil Heart ability is probably going to make Allure overkill.

I've been alternating between Ambition and Merciless Matriarch depending on my mood. I'd probably use Rescuer if I had it (not at capped potency yet).
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-13 14:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Nik why do you even post man, people come to the forums asking advice because they want to try and be the best. You openly admit that you don't even care and don't try hardly at all but then you act as if you are a legendary WHM.

The same reason you turn every single whm thread into a soliloqy about your version of how to do whm the right way. You want to be the very best, like no one ever was! etc. trollface.jpg

Shame on me for trying to add perspective and help people in the FFXI Job forum threads.

Bismarck.Tragedie said:
I used to use allure for Emnity- and MND+ until I realized that with the -20 emnity from MM along with whatever is on my gear, it wasn't doing a ton. That and if I'm gonna end up getting hate anyway, the difference in emnity might not have made the difference. Even if it did, WHM can take quite a beating... since Cure V casts so quickly it's easy enough to wait it out.

I too used to use Allure in place of Apoc before I had all the MP abyssites. Now for me MM/ASA/Apoc works best. Windy missions or Turul one work well too.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-13 15:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kiori said:
I've never seen a fight where I've sat back and wished I should have merited my bar spells. I still use bar spells on occasions, and if a spell was cast on a part member it's never taken them passed yellow hp (unless they were in yellow before). I still don't see the "requirement" for these merits.

Me neither, which should probably scare the hell out of you.

/starts rambling

I remember back in the old days doing dynamis sandy as a 66ish whm with back against the wall of the smn camp near the north sandy zone like it was yesterday. In comes four shivas and everyone would laugh their *** off when I would cast barblizara. And then some goofball would wack one of the sleeping shivas and she would diamond dust our *** to smithereens and every blue moon or two our party would be the only one standing and I would be all WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! for thirty seconds until we were killed by some other means. I was wearing mostly elvan rse at the time which some people thought was "town gear" as borealis used to call it, then puzzled in wonderment when I never changed out of it. Belli gave me a vermy to wear so I would stop embarrasing everyone in public. So I merited regen instead of barspells and I probably cant come up with a better reason than "I like casting regen on people" but again this was back when you would "meripo" to get merits. And I still toss up the barspells and everyone still laughs probably. And I know everyone quit paying attention along time ago and wandered off to do other things but I don't care. The op even said thanks and left four pages ago, but yet the stupid arguement rages on and on and yeah it's proabably all my fault for saying things like "barspells dont work". You should all be smart like flion, he just ignores me completely. He knows I have a short attention span and will forget about this thread in a couple minutes. Nowadays with aby I could probably go get all new merits and try differnt combinations and collect a bunch of data and screenshots and raise spectacular arguements full of reason and research. But I just can seem to care that hard Tweek will still be babbling about emnity reduction when they wheel him to the nursing home on the same two wheeled dolly they used on hanibal lecter in that movie with the lambs. I think he takes it way to seriously and should switch to "ball in a cup"
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-13 15:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

if listening to the same argument over and over bores you, why do you always give the same "lalala i can't hear you" argument?
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-13 15:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't take it too seriously, if I did I would probably be able to play a lot more and I would have already accomplished all the things I wanted to since coming back to the game. I just want to do a good job or do the best job I am capable of. I'm always trying to improve, otherwise why play?

Many other WHMs have better gear than me and better item sets than me I don't try to act like I have the best but I do want to understand what the best is with all the available options and work towards that goal.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-05-13 15:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I use a bot that does the same things you all do, sometimes with even a faster reaction time than some of you.

Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2011-05-13 15:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
I use a bot that does the same things you all do, sometimes with even a faster reaction time than some of you.

I pay $12 more because I don't have any friends who can help me.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-05-13 15:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:

I can't afford $24 a month because I have a minimum wage job.

I'm not going to keep posting the troll face picture, but at least I got someone to bite.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-13 15:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:

I can't afford $24 a month because I have a minimum wage job.

I'm not going to keep posting the troll face picture, but at least I got someone to bite.

I'm bad at managing finances

Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-05-13 15:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
I can't afford $24 a month because I have a minimum wage job. I'm not going to keep posting the troll face picture, but at least I got someone to bite.
I'm bad at managing finances

My weekly allowance from my mother only covers one FFXI account and a bottle of jergens lotion.

Last one from me I promise. I don't want to anger the MODs of mass destruction.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-13 15:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

why do people have to crap all over the WHM threads? keep the spam and trolling in the chatterbox/political/everything section and out of the job threads ; ;
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-05-13 15:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread has long gone from the original topic, but on the topic of merits: I find bar spells to still be quite useful. I, however, do not ever use regen.

To me regen used to be a good way to manage mp, but now with a bottomless pool I don't find it as necessary.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-05-13 15:55:30
Link | Quote | Reply

pic related:

Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-05-13 16:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Get back on topic, and don't attack others.
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2011-05-13 18:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Tragedie said:
Allure is already overkill unless it's one of the only atma you have. All you get from it, realistically, is MND+30. That's it.

I generally use Minikin + Undying as my base two. For my third, I'll pick depending on the situation: Ambition, Merciless Matriarch, Future Fabulous, or Apocalypse. If it's a really nasty fight, I might do Minikin + Rescuer + Future Fabulous for maximum MDB & Fast Cast, and allowing me to use Orison Bliaud while keeping capped potency.
 Cerberus.Liandaru
user: Liandrian
By Cerberus.Liandaru 2011-05-14 12:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I did get that Facio thing last night, got a pretty decent augment on it, but I think the Noble's body is better. I'll log in later and post the stats later, and someone can tell me. I'm going to start building AF3 too. New Dynamis still scares me, so I don't know if it's really worth going in there for relic armor atm.

As far as weapon slot goes, if I don't have the time to put into an Emperyan right now, is a Light Staff the way to go at higher levels? What's the best grip to go with? And ammo slot? I'm just picking up gear as I get the gil for it so as I hit the levels I can equip it. I'm taking everyone's suggestions to heart and have my noble's tunic and I think I got Blessed pants waiting for me.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-14 12:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said:
Bismarck.Tragedie said:
Allure is already overkill unless it's one of the only atma you have. All you get from it, realistically, is MND+30. That's it.

I generally use Minikin + Undying as my base two. For my third, I'll pick depending on the situation: Ambition, Merciless Matriarch, Future Fabulous, or Apocalypse. If it's a really nasty fight, I might do Minikin + Rescuer + Future Fabulous for maximum MDB & Fast Cast, and allowing me to use Orison Bliaud while keeping capped potency.

I use Allure because I have a lack of Atma.

And it's pretty good, the MND is enjoyable.
 Unicorn.Aleste
Server: Unicorn
user: Aleste
By Unicorn.Aleste 2011-05-14 12:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If your facio has less than 10% potency and refresh on it, then use a nobles tunic.

Light staff < Templar Mace < Teiwaz 15% (Trial) < Tefnut Wand < Surya's+2 (Trial)

Pretty much use light staff and work your way up the staff trials until the cure potency on your Teiwaz beats the 10% potency on your light staff.

For grips and ammo, anything with MND (for bigger cure V) or MP. Staff strap isn't too bad, neither is hedgehog bomb.
 Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2011-05-14 12:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Pergatory said:
Bismarck.Tragedie said:

I use Allure because I have a lack of Atma.

And it's pretty good, the MND is enjoyable.

I also use Allure. Remember it also gives 30% more MP, which is always welcomed for me.

I use Allure/MM/Thousand Needles since I don't have Rescuer or Future Fabulous. Also, another atma you can look at for MND is Atma of the Undying. Gives MND and Conserve MP.

As for Ammo slot, Liandaru, use Hedgehog Bomb, Aqua Satchet, and/or Incantor Stone. Light Staff is okay if you don't have Surya's/Teiwaz. Although it won't make you a bad WHM, remember Cure Potency is what makes WHM *the* healing class, so it would be wise to obtain it sooner or later.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-17 12:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Liandaru said:
I did get that Facio thing last night

I read that wrong the first time.

and how did the stalker PLing go? One of the reasons I suggested Qufim is you can farm crystals at the same time you're helping ppl and you get to learn how to multi task fighting a couple of bogys and a lightning elemental while keeping seriously undergeared party alive is somewhat of a challenge.

Also, btw if you need to afk during your random pl sessions say something like "afk wc" in say and then move your character away from the party to a safe spot around the corner. With any luck they will follow you.

For some reason people think that if your character is there you can see them dying and come help. They also don't realize how much you have been helping them and sometimes go charging off on their own.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-17 13:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
if listening to the same argument over and over bores you, why do you always give the same "lalala i can't hear you" argument?

What arguement are you and I having Lorzy?? I'm sorry for not paying attention to you I was busy giving Tweek fits.