A few dumb questions
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 12:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to echo how cool <stal> I still use with blinkmenot. I use it for all my cure spells -na spells

for erase or other in party specific spells refresh etc I use <stpt>

Cura II has some really good uses. For those NMs in which you full time Afflatus Misery to keep casting Esuna a Cura II can come in handy when taking AoE damage. For me sometimes I like to stand in the mix and take on the AoE debuffs so I can Esuna off multiple DDs (I also love Accession + -na spells)

After taking damage Cura gives more HP and costs less MP (inb4unlimitedmpinabyssea) it also produces less hate than Curaga.

People don't seem to use it as much anymore because of Abyssea there are less things to worry about but it's nice for helping keep hate down and conserves MP.

Also as people stated Curaga can be cast on target Cura is cast on yourself.

Unless BLM is your only option I would only /BLM if you need stuns. Outside of needing subs I would use /RDM or /SCH I prefer /SCH.

Cerberus.Kalyna said:

The only gear swaps I do is weapons, and that swap is for dark staff when healing and templar for curing.

You don't have to gear swap.

I gear swap a lot I completely disagree with Kaylna. Some spells you're better off in haste gear, when debuffing (para/slow/silence) I stack enfeeb skill/MND, as they mentioned also have an hMP set, then an idle set. Some people use even more sets.. you could fulltime in your cure gear you just might be less effective when doing other spells.

The set Aleste posted is a good starter set you can substitute in Noble's Tunic if you can afford it.

After you get that start trying to hit 50% cure potency cap with gear, it's the most important thing you can really do. Surya's +2 staff will provide 22% if you have time to dedicate, I bet with BLM @90 it will be hella easy compared to the ones who had to do it on WHM. You can precast in fastcast or -healing/cure spellcasting gear and finish in cure potency/MND for full affect. I also recommend not worrying too much about +MP gear unless you're a galka, you'll naturally get +MP gear it's not as big of a deal as it is for like a BLM plus with Abyssea we get so much.

The main choices for atmas are:

MM/other refesh (I prefer ASA, but can use any like windy missions or stormbird)/Apoc - this is what I use before I had Apoc I used Allure

MM/other refesh (I prefer ASA, but can use any like windy missions or stormbird)/Allure or Undying

Atma of the Rescuer - Is a nice option for an atma if you aren't able to hit that 50% cure potency cap, once you can hit it with gear I would ditch the atma.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-05-12 12:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I use this mostly

a lot of R/X stuff

Facio:
Conserve Mp+1
Cure Pot +11%
emn-2

I also use Goliard Saio for non cure spells due to Haste.

Havent playe much since the update, gonna try and get the shield changed for a Genbu Shield with Cure Pot + & Cure Cast -

whm Af1+1 for Hmp and debuffs.

edit:
As for targetting/macros
I use a Ps2 controller to play, and selecting up/down, goes tru my pt list members, so my macros usually go along like:

/ma Cure <t>
for things that i need to get a timing, such as Flash, i do (the spell is redy, so i just need to confirm when i want the spell to activate):
/ma Flash <st>
and things that cast on me like BarSpells
/ma Barfira <me>
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-12 12:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i'd rather work on a surya's +2 than try to get lucky with augmenting.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 12:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said:
I use this mostly

a lot of R/X stuff

Facio:
Conserve Mp+1
Cure Pot +11%
emn-2

I also use Goliard Saio for non cure spells due to Haste.

Havent playe much since the update, gonna try and get the shield changed for a Genbu Shield with Cure Pot + & Cure Cast -

whm Af1+1 for Hmp and debuffs.

edit:
As for targetting/macros
I use a Ps2 controller to play, and selecting up/down, goes tru my pt list members, so my macros usually go along like:

/ma Cure <t>
for things that i need to get a timing, such as Flash, i do (the spell is redy, so i just need to confirm when i want the spell to activate):
/ma Flash <st>
and things that cast on me like BarSpells
/ma Barfira <me>

seeing sets like these makes me think about the other gear I would have had I not quit in 2007 ;P you can always spot the people who used to take WHM seriously / old school WHMs

The brand new WHMs are the ones in all blessed with light staff, or all AF1.. the old school ones usually have Goliard, Healer +1 mitts etc

The current ones are @ 50% cure potency :P
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-12 12:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
I full time Afflatus Misery and like to stand in the mix so I can die alot

/facepalm

I love tarus. Especially the wannabe dd taru whms, it seems to be the curse of all whm tarus everywhere and the bane of my existance. Dear Altana, why won't they just stand back? Answer- A.D.D. mostly, why? umad?

I can see them now standing in AoE range next to the nm yelling for Silena because they forgot echo drops, flipping through their sch books looking for the answer to "how do I get rid of paralyze" and now they are saying "Stoned!!! Stoned!!! Stoned!!!" in pt chat

/sigh

Please for the love of all that is sacred and holy pay SE the extra dollar and level up a galka mule to live out your dd fantasies, thank you.
 Phoenix.Archeim
Server: Phoenix
user: Archeim
By Phoenix.Archeim 2011-05-12 12:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said:
@op Cura is cast on yourself so you need to run in to the melee (pun intended) where curaga you can toss out like cures which is alot safer. If you have a Flashy McGee (They're easy to spot) in or outside your alliance that swaps gear every three seconds you can macro his name into a cure macro, it makes it alot easier. He is probaly a drk that refuses to drain and full times souleater and last resort... The whm in his pt is afk so unless you want to hear a mountain of griping macro him in. PLing is the easiest way to learn the ropes of curing outside of an alliance. I have a whole macro set dedicated to it full of cures and haste and pro/shell, all this sort of thing. Just run out to Qufim and start helping some party out at random. Stubbornly refuse to answer any of their questions and just practice on them. more later

At least now if the DRK is level 45 or over it has stalwart soul so that soul eater takes away less hp. Btw... totally laughed at the post. DRK is my highest job (48) and even i laugh at me sometimes :P
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-12 12:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
I full time Afflatus Misery and like to stand in the mix so I can die alot

/facepalm

I love tarus. Especially the wannabe dd taru whms, it seems to be the curse of all whm tarus everywhere and the bane of my existance. Dear Altana, why won't they just stand back? Answer- A.D.D. mostly, why? umad?

I can see them now standing in AoE range next to the nm yelling for Silena because they forgot echo drops, flipping through their sch books looking for the answer to "how do I get rid of paralyze" and now they are saying "Stoned!!! Stoned!!! Stoned!!!" in pt chat

/sigh

Please for the love of all that is sacred and holy pay SE the extra dollar and level up a galka mule to live out your dd fantasies, thank you.
um what?

just because it isn't always wise to stand in aoe range doesn't mean it's never wise to stand in aoe range. not every mob has damaging aoe moves, or aoe para, or aoe silence. besides which, a whm, even a taru, can be fairly sturdy.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-12 13:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Archeim said:
At least now if the DRK is level 45 or over it has stalwart soul so that soul eater takes away less hp. Btw... totally laughed at the post. DRK is my highest job (48) and even i laugh at me sometimes :P

It's ok lol I quit getting upset about such things along time ago and just made a macro for it. Give your whm a "Souleater Guilotine in five" in pt chat or you will spend alot of time horizontal. And try to get the kill with it for the love of pizza, don't lead off with it.

I just want to figure out why drks (and galka blu)always seem to want to die with full mp. Worried casting increases wep delay?
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 13:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Nikolce I'm sorry you can't take AoE damage.. Also it's pretty situational when it comes to full timing Affatus Misery you die to NMs like Athamas? I sure as hell don't need to worry about dying but I do like to stand there and Esuna after he double casts slow and gravity. I have no desire to be a DD WHM, I don't play like a DD WHM ***the only reason I originally leveled NIN (my only other job) was so I could solo the bottled pixies for my Surya staff.

Also I like that the fact that I know when to use Misery and you don't automatically means I don't carry 2+ stacks of Echo drops on me 24x7? Or that I some how don't know how to cast -na spells? lol I like that you think something as basic as knowing what -na spell to use makes you stand out as a good WHM or something.

Any time you want to have a Pepsi challenge at WHM with me feel free to jump over to my server and be humiliated. You act like you're an uber WHM but most of the time you're talking about lolexp alliance PT stuff for WHM.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-12 13:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
um what? just because it isn't always wise to stand in aoe range doesn't mean it's never wise to stand in aoe range. not every mob has damaging aoe moves, or aoe para, or aoe silence. besides which, a whm, even a taru, can be fairly sturdy.

lol <tarutaru> found it

NM was the key word you missed but that's o.k. it is never wise to stand in aoe range, period.

Just pretend everything your party is fighting has breakga, it will make you a much better whm.
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-05-12 13:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

IMO, regarding Afflatus Missery:

when fighting something that likes to spam AOE debuffs: OK
Anything else: Not Ok, switch to Afflatus Solace and GTFO out of range
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 13:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said:
IMO, regarding Afflatus Missery:

when fighting something that likes to spam AOE debuffs: OK
Anything else: Not Ok, switch to Afflatus Solace and GTFO out of range

exactly.. I only use it for ones who spam annoying debuffs and is relatively harmless. Otherwise face away @ 20 yalms as a standard rule.

Shiva.Nikolce said:

Just pretend everything your party is fighting has breakga, it will make you a much better whm.

bad advice.

I run in for barspells too Nik I wouldn't against a Tunga (breakga spam) so please enlighten us with your thoughts on it since a WHM should "never" be in AoE range
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-12 13:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

what difference does it make if it's an nm or an nq mob? why wouldn't i want to stay in range for, say, audumbla, if there are a bunch of people who want to whale on the mob? instead of casting a bunch of virunas, you can be done with it after one esuna. why should you pretend everything has breakga when they really don't? a good whm knows when to be in range and when to be out. i'll give you that for MOST mobs including nms, it's acceptable or optimal to be out of range, and i don't use misery often. but that doesn't mean that you should take a perfectly viable reason to use misery and pretend that those who know when to use it and when not to are stupid. misery esuna really shines when there are multiple debuffs involved, like with tribulation, or if mobs are being fed a lot of tp and have shitty tp moves (einherjar at 75 cap comes to mind, but things have changed a lot since then).

on the contrary, i think that pretending everything has breakga is something that you should do as a beginner whm. being able to stay out of range when it's needed IS important, i agree. but knowing when you have to, when you don't have to, and when it's actually better to be IN range, are things you can develop after getting used to being out of aoe range.

as for athamas, i prefer to stay out of range and just cast erase on the tank.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-12 13:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Nikolce I'm sorry you can't take AoE damage.. Also it's pretty situational when it comes to full timing Affatus Misery you die to NMs like Athamas? I sure as hell don't need to worry about dying but I do like to stand there and Esuna after he double casts slow and gravity. I have no desire to be a DD WHM, I don't play like a DD WHM ***the only reason I originally leveled NIN was so I could solo the bottled pixies for my Surya staff. Also I like that the fact that I know when to use Misery and you don't automatically means I don't carry 2+ stacks of Echo drops on me 24x7? Or that I some how don't know how to cast -na spells? lol I like that you think something as basic as this makes you stand out as a good WHM or something. Any time you want to have a Pepsi challenge at WHM with me feel free to jump over to my server and be humiliated. You act like you're an uber WHM but most of the time you're talking about lolexp alliance PT stuff for WHM.

lol I knew that would rile you up tweek, you know I love you man.

I like to take damage as much as the next guy lol but it's just not neccesary on whm and I never use misery, because it's idiotic. You're obviously trying to hard to do too much with too few people. (I like how the not having echo drops hit your sore spot lol five demerits for not having any) Also, I suck at whm, ask anybody. I stand way back and target the overachieving taru whms who are all within arms reach getting hammered on. It's just my style. Lazy! I will teach you!
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 13:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:

what? he draws you in anyways thats why I always fulltime misery. He always does draw in -> spell -> spell (sometimes it's a silencga) so you wait for the 2nd spell and then esuna or if it was silencega echo drop -> esuna -> Accession -> silena
[+]
 Bismarck.Tragedie
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2011-05-12 13:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
I run in for barspells too Nik I wouldn't against a Tunga (breakga spam) so please enlighten us with your thoughts on it since a WHM should "never" be in AoE range

It's inevitable to run in, although it's worth noting that barspells can hit from 10'... depending on party member placement, that can land you anywhere from 6'ish (if someone's behind it) - 13'ish (duo or everyone standing on tank) from the NM. You're still in AOE range but for less time than being 3'ish from the mob while meleeing.

I understand your argument about needing to run into AOE range during the fights but I think the other point being made was the amount of time in that zone.

Edit: Wow I was slow posting XD I think Lorzy summed it up better in the post or two above mine.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 13:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said:
(I like how the not having echo drops hit your sore spot lol five demerits for not having any)

for the rare occasions I ran out and forgot to replenish I freak out.. I always try to have a few stacks on me every mage should
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-12 13:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:

what? he draws you in anyways thats why I always fulltime misery. He always does draw in -> spell -> spell (sometimes it's a silencga) so you wait for the 2nd spell and then esuna or if it was silencega echo drop -> esuna -> Accession -> silena
you can outrun silencega, and i only duo athamas so i didn't know you were talking about more than one person on the mob. but if i had a need to fight athamas again it would probably be as blm + thf anyway.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-12 13:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bismarck.Misao said:
IMO, regarding Afflatus Missery: when fighting something that likes to spam AOE debuffs: OK Anything else: Not Ok, switch to Afflatus Solace and GTFO out of range
exactly.. I only use it for ones who spam annoying debuffs and is relatively harmless. Otherwise face away @ 20 yalms as a standard rule.
Shiva.Nikolce said:
bad advice. I run in for barspells too Nik I wouldn't against a Tunga (breakga spam) so please enlighten us with your thoughts on it since a WHM should "never" be in AoE range

Never stand anywhere ima get Mick and the chicken from Rocky to train you up tweek. Stick and move, plus the barspells should be up before you engage. Please tell me your not one of those whms that waits until the dds start fighting before you put their buffs on.
/sad panda
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 13:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:

you can outrun silencega, and i only duo athamas so i didn't know you were talking about more than one person on the mob. but if i had a need to fight athamas again it would probably be as blm + thf anyway.

well when I duo I don't have to worry about Esuna I can just cast on the tank :P
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-12 13:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said:
Afflatus Solace and GTFO out of range

/cookies
/bonus points
/respect
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-12 13:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said:
Bismarck.Misao said:
Afflatus Solace and GTFO out of range

/cookies
/bonus points
/respect
i like how you took out the part where misery is ok sometimes
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 13:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said:
Please tell me your not one of those whms that waits until the dds start fighting before you put their buffs on.
/sad panda

barspells aren't permanent they do wear fyi. especially when you're lagging on getting a reading for proc etc
 Unicorn.Aleste
Server: Unicorn
user: Aleste
By Unicorn.Aleste 2011-05-12 13:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Without going into a huge paragraph....

It's situationally efficient and varies with every mob/party setup.

Though, just to be different; Tunga is pretty easy to melee on as whitemage with dragua's atma and keeping barstonra up.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2011-05-12 13:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

A good suggestion for newer whms is to try to run in to recast barspells before they wear off but right after the nm does a TP move (although it's worth noting some NMs do multiple TP moves back to back).
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jarbino
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2011-05-12 13:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Liandaru said:
After years of being a black mage, I'm finally swallowing my pride and leveling white mage. I swore I never would, I've never gotten any gear for it what so ever. So I'm a noob when it comes to gear and macros. I've seen a few interesting gear set ups, but honestly have no idea how a lot of the mechanics work.

First off, for the white mage who doesn't have a lot of gil to play around with, will AF work for a while, or will I look gimped if that's all I have? What AH pieces are absolutely vital? Are there NMs that drop items that are vital?

I'm a little unsure as to what the difference between Cura and Curaga is. Can someone explain that to me?

Is there a macro for healing alliance members who aren't in your party? I usually end up typing out /ma "Cure" <name goes here>, but there's got to be a better way to do it that I'm not catching on to.

Can a Taru be an effective melee whm?

Some staple AH pieces are:
MP+ Rings. Serket Ring, Bifrost Ring, etc.
MND+ Rings, Aquasoul Ring, Neptune Ring, Aqua Ring
Blessed feet/legs/hands/body(unless you have AF3+1 body)
Incantor's Stone, Hedgehog bomb, MND+ Earrings, MP+ Earrings

I know you're just starting off but here are some sets any serious WHM playing their job should look forward to having:

Cure Potency set
hMP+ set
Haste set
Fast Cast
Pre-cure cast set
Idle set
Enfeebling set
Stoneskin set
Enhancing magic set
Barspell set
Healing magic skill set
Regen Set
Repose Set

People have already posted what AHable items you can make use of, but here are some items you should aim for:

For macros, all of my macros end with <stal>.

For example; /ma "Cure V" <stal>

This lets me choose anyone in the alliance for curing. It works perfect because even if people blink I don't lose my target. The only downside from this is that if you need to cure someone outside of your alliance you're going to have trouble.
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-05-12 13:43:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to always be on the move, find that ideal spot regarding to Mob placement, tank placement, DD placement, nukers and refreshers,
so that I can keep whoever im responsible of curing within my range, If i pull hate, Mob has to move to get me, and hope he looses interest bu the time he takes a swing at me, and not get pummeled to death when say; a blm takes hate and dies. as the battle progresses, that spot usually changes.

what does this mean? like someone said above, buff spells tend to have a wide AOE range, so once you get used to this area around you, you can go in at minimal distance needed, buff up and get out.

and its not about "waiting to start a fight before buffing" thing, as everyone should know, a lot of mobs have dispels, or buffs wear [time out] mid fight after several fights back to back.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 13:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Aleste said:

Though, just to be different; Tunga is pretty easy to melee on as whitemage with dragua's atma and keeping barstonra up.

oh wow never thought about using that atma for Tunga gg, thank you.

Bismarck.Tragedie said:
A good suggestion for newer whms is to try to run in to recast barspells before they wear off but right after the nm does a TP move (although it's worth noting some NMs do multiple TP moves back to back).

yep^ good advice
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-05-12 14:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
barspells aren't permanent they do wear fyi.

yeah but you don't have to cram your head up the mobs rump to put them back up lol idk why all taru whms think that's the proper location for bar spell application, you aint applying Preperation H

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
especially when you're lagging on getting a reading for proc etc

tisk tisk tisk you see, that right there should have told you, you're doing it wrong.
 Cerberus.Halfpint
Server: Cerberus
user: Halfpint
By Cerberus.Halfpint 2011-05-12 14:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shinshi said:
Apart from <stal> there's another imo easy way to target alliance members via keybord. F1-6 is a staple for targeting pt members. Ctrl + F1-6 will target player 1-6 of the top party of the alliance. Alt + F1-6 will target player 1-6 of the middle pt of the alliance. However, these methods are subject to blinking, so you have to be quick on the cure or -na spell once you targeted. (unless you use BlinkMeNot).

^^^^^this x infinity....so much easier to heal across pt in alliance.