There Are Humans That Think Skyrim =/= Oblivion

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » There are humans that think Skyrim =/= Oblivion
There are humans that think Skyrim =/= Oblivion
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-23 09:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said:
Ramuh.Urial said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Hold it there, John. I'm not saying Oblivion was lacking in all of these, no because if it was I wouldn't be still playing to this day. It's just that the whole imperial theme of the game was pretty basic fantasy. And it was a bit tame.
I am saying Oblivion was lacking in all of it. That game doesn't ooze detail at every crevice like Morrowind, or the subsequent Fallout games (3 and New Vegas), which leads me to believe it wasn't intentional, just time kind of kicked them in the balls while working with the new tech. They also fixed a lot of it in Shivering Isles. Again, further substantiating "***, it's March 23rd already?" theory. I actually enjoyed the Shivering Isles Expansion more than Oblivion itself. Despite being smaller, the overall package was much deeper, detailed and entertaining.
Sadly with oblivion I liked the side stories more than the main story which resulted in me getting like level 30 something and have not beat the main story >_>then again it wasn't fun when i started beating towers with 100% chameleon armor
I had the same problem...
Kinda concerned about skyrim though because apperently they have removed attributes from it, kinda lowered my expectations for it from a rpg standpoint but still looking forward to it...

@ the title of the thread, I know someone who though skyrim was an expansion to oblivion... yeh they actually thought so.

Meh, In Morrowind, attributes were too easily exploited. There was a drink called "Sujamma" that gave 50STR per consumption, and stacked unlimited. So you could drink 150 of them, and have well over 5000 Strength. Combine that with a total lack of a damage cap, and you can 1 shot anything, including the Gods, Vivec and Almalexia.

Now jump to Oblivion, attributes are already dead. Aside from the direct impact they have on Health, Magicka, fatigue and encumbrance, attributes for the most part, are entirely pointless.

Also, another, and my favorite justification for the removal of attributes, is the "Elitist" mentality. Haven't you ever felt compelled to try for those x5 Multipliers on your attributes, and if you didn't make all 3, you somehow felt like you permanently gimped your character, through no fault of your own?

I hated that, it put the leveling mechanics at the forefront of my mind instead of the game, or more importantly, the world itself. The Simple-but-potentially-deep Perk system has some promise to make leveling rewarding, but less of a cockslap in the face.