There Are Humans That Think Skyrim =/= Oblivion

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » There are humans that think Skyrim =/= Oblivion
There are humans that think Skyrim =/= Oblivion
First Page 2
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2011-04-23 06:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Liandaru
Server: Cerberus
user: Liandrian
By Cerberus.Liandaru 2011-04-23 06:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

O_O OMG IT'S SO PRETTY! Comes out in November right?
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2011-04-23 06:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Liandaru
Server: Cerberus
user: Liandrian
By Cerberus.Liandaru 2011-04-23 06:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly haven't been this excited about a game since I heard about FFXI. I still play the hell out of Oblivion, I can only imagine how much Skyrim is going to eat me.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2011-04-23 06:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I've found my gaming appetite slowly slipping from me the past 5 years. The games I've been really looking forward to I could count on one hand. But Skyrim is something that really gets me excited.

And LA noire, probably on a smaller scale.
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-04-23 06:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Those Graphics are amazing o.o
 Fenrir.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-04-23 06:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Who thinks that, though? I don't know anyone who has said anything bad about this game yet.

Oblivion was designed for Original Xbox for most of its development, so its graphics were bad even at the time.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-23 06:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I tried to say this on the Skyrim Forums, but all the PC gamers, with their trademark sense of entitlement, keep saying ***like "look just like oblivion, see there is no tessalation and Direct x 11 features"

Just overall a level of dumbfuckery I really didn't expect from a demographic that's supposed to be well educated, or at least have a sense of observational skills equivalent to that of a garden snail.

Skyrim is *** gorgeous, it's not the best graphics on the planet, and probably, in terms of balls-through-the-wall quality, not even in the top 10%, but when has graphical fidelity been an actual marketable strongpoint of the TES titles? They've always hovered around B- or C+, I'd definitely rate this as A-.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2011-04-23 06:49:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Enternius said:
Who thinks that, though? I don't know anyone who has said anything bad about this game yet.

Oblivion was designed for Original Xbox for most of its development, so its graphics were bad even at the time.

I've seen several people say that the game looks too much like Oblivion in appearance and map.

Ingame images:

Fenrir.Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-04-23 06:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm excited to see what the Daedric/Ayleid Ruin analog will be in this game.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2011-04-23 06:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently, they're bringin back the random weirdness from Morrowind. When compared Oblivion was relatively tame compared with Morrowind, so they're bringing that back now too.

I also have more recent info about the game, not sure if it was listed in the other Skyrim thread though.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-04-23 06:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Will it be on-line at all or just single player? I enjoyed Morrowind however many years ago and this looks pretty, but I'm not planning on ever touching another MMO...
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2011-04-23 06:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It's single player, as most Bethesda products. It's what they're good at. No nonsense, pure gaming. You pay for a game and you play it for damn well years.

I assume there will be expansions tho.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-23 06:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Will it be on-line at all or just single player? I enjoyed Morrowind however many years ago and this looks pretty, but I'm not planning on ever touching another MMO...

Bethesda Game Studios only delivers single player RPG epics.

Edit: Here's my favorite screenshot to date. It just has so much going for it. Particularly highlighting how much more inspired a lot of the creature/equipment designs are.

Oh, and also it shows how the animations look in general, Odd through a static image, but compare how a person holding a sword looked in Oblivion, to the above.
 Fenrir.Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-04-23 06:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Skyrim is almost certainly single player.

Bethesda understands that making a strongly single-player game like Elder Scrolls multiplayer draws you very far out of the game's lore and surroundings.

Hard to enjoy the beauty of the next sweeping vista if your dumb friend keeps shooting you with Daedric arrows with Paralyze poison.
 Ramuh.Urial
Server: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-23 07:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Yeah, I tried to say this on the Skyrim Forums, but all the PC gamers, with their trademark sense of entitlement, keep saying ***like "look just like oblivion, see there is no tessalation and Direct x 11 features"

Just overall a level of dumbfuckery I really didn't expect from a demographic that's supposed to be well educated, or at least have a sense of observational skills equivalent to that of a garden snail.

Skyrim is *** gorgeous, it's not the best graphics on the planet, and probably, in terms of balls-through-the-wall quality, not even in the top 10%, but when has graphical fidelity been an actual marketable strongpoint of the TES titles? They've always hovered around B- or C+, I'd definitely rate this as A-.
Lol. They worlds in the ES series are so overly huge that to much tessellation would stress an card to it's limits. I don't doubt that the new one will have it and I'm sure that if you beef up the settings the game will run at stupid high settings. But comparing this game to ES IV is just stupid. I do want to add, you can launch a game without DX11 support and go back and patch it in. Crysis 2 Just did it.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-23 07:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt Bethesda will patch it in, but the door is open for modders to patch it in down the line, and I have faith they will. Look at the Morrowind Graphics Extender and Oblivion Graphics Extender projects.
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-23 07:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
I doubt Bethesda will patch it in, but the door is open for modders to patch it in down the line, and I have faith they will. Look at the Morrowind Graphics Extender and Oblivion Graphics Extender projects.
Wait til one of those guys patches it in, sets it all to max and his GPU core turns into a frying pan. The world is just to big for that lol.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-23 07:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Urial said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Wait til one of those guys patches it in, sets it all to max and his GPU core turns into a frying pan. The world is just to big for that lol.

Well, projects like that take years. By then, the technology standard has changed, and it's much easier to pull off. The MGE project took I think 5 years to get a public build.
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-23 07:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Apparently, they're bringin back the random weirdness from Morrowind. When compared Oblivion was relatively tame compared with Morrowind, so they're bringing that back now too.

I also have more recent info about the game, not sure if it was listed in the other Skyrim thread though.
You mean guys that fall out of the sky from jumping potions and die are coming back?!?!?!
 Fenrir.Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-04-23 07:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Urial said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:

You mean guys that fall out of the sky from jumping potions and die are coming back?!?!?!
Or a nord named Uncle Sweetshare in a brown robe and hat making Moon Sugar to give to sweet little boys and girls at Fort Frostmoth?
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2011-04-23 07:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

More like bizarre architecture and very odd enemies.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-23 07:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Urial said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:

We can hope!

Honestly, I think what Todd means, is, Morrowind felt weird, because it had an identifiable culture of it's own. You could look at all sorts of little details in every part of the game. From Audio to the objects found around a persons house, and it really sold the sense that "Someone's totally living here, but I have no idea what the *** that is".

I mean, things that like 90% of the gaming populace would overlook. Mundane Food items, the literature in the game world, tribal art. All of it blended together in a subtle way that made the world so believably foreign.

Now look at Oblivion. Everything just seems like generic placeholder details. I have no doubts they got to a point in development where they were going to add all the cool details, but rushed it out the door to meet the Xbox360 Launch window, which was November - April.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2011-04-23 07:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hold it there, John. I'm not saying Oblivion was lacking in all of these, no because if it was I wouldn't be still playing to this day.

It's just that the whole imperial theme of the game was pretty basic fantasy. And it was a bit tame.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-23 07:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Hold it there, John. I'm not saying Oblivion was lacking in all of these, no because if it was I wouldn't be still playing to this day.

It's just that the whole imperial theme of the game was pretty basic fantasy. And it was a bit tame.

I am saying Oblivion was lacking in all of it.

That game doesn't ooze detail at every crevice like Morrowind, or the subsequent Fallout games (3 and New Vegas), which leads me to believe it wasn't intentional, just time kind of kicked them in the balls while working with the new tech.

They also fixed a lot of it in Shivering Isles. Again, further substantiating "***, it's March 23rd already?" theory.
I actually enjoyed the Shivering Isles Expansion more than Oblivion itself. Despite being smaller, the overall package was much deeper, detailed and entertaining.
 Phoenix.Amael
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2011-04-23 07:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

20 reasons to be excited about Skyrim
[+]
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-23 09:16:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:

I am saying Oblivion was lacking in all of it.

That game doesn't ooze detail at every crevice like Morrowind, or the subsequent Fallout games (3 and New Vegas), which leads me to believe it wasn't intentional, just time kind of kicked them in the balls while working with the new tech.

They also fixed a lot of it in Shivering Isles. Again, further substantiating "***, it's March 23rd already?" theory.
I actually enjoyed the Shivering Isles Expansion more than Oblivion itself. Despite being smaller, the overall package was much deeper, detailed and entertaining.

Sadly with oblivion I liked the side stories more than the main story which resulted in me getting like level 30 something and have not beat the main story >_>then again it wasn't fun when i started beating towers with 100% chameleon armor
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-04-23 09:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

That's kind of true in all Bethesda's games. The Main Story often, intentionally feels kind of... I don't want to say Dull, but definitely lacking in the climactic sense, compared to a lot of other games. But Bethesda's games are never actually about the Main Story, they're about the World itself, and they populate the world with all of these subplots, faction dynamics and politics, that often make for a more intriguing narrative than "Evil is here, go kill it, thx"

Just of Particular Mention in Morrowind. The Thieve's Guild/Fighter's Guild shadow war. And, the Great Houses (Hlaalu, Telvani Redoran) shifting power dynamics.

Of course, even with those, Morrowind's Main story still managed to be a captivating tale of growth, destiny betrayal, with a Villain that seemed cookie-cutter, until you actually got to hear his side of the story. Again, I hate to beat a dead horse and seem like a nostalgic ***, but compared to Oblivion... The whole "Full Throttle doomsday" Main quest not only lacked the perfect pacing of Morrowind, but also lacked as many interesting characters and memorable interactions. Terrance Stamp as Mankar Camoran was pretty rad though.
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-04-23 09:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Urial said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Hold it there, John. I'm not saying Oblivion was lacking in all of these, no because if it was I wouldn't be still playing to this day. It's just that the whole imperial theme of the game was pretty basic fantasy. And it was a bit tame.
I am saying Oblivion was lacking in all of it. That game doesn't ooze detail at every crevice like Morrowind, or the subsequent Fallout games (3 and New Vegas), which leads me to believe it wasn't intentional, just time kind of kicked them in the balls while working with the new tech. They also fixed a lot of it in Shivering Isles. Again, further substantiating "***, it's March 23rd already?" theory. I actually enjoyed the Shivering Isles Expansion more than Oblivion itself. Despite being smaller, the overall package was much deeper, detailed and entertaining.
Sadly with oblivion I liked the side stories more than the main story which resulted in me getting like level 30 something and have not beat the main story >_>then again it wasn't fun when i started beating towers with 100% chameleon armor
I had the same problem...
Kinda concerned about skyrim though because apperently they have removed attributes from it, kinda lowered my expectations for it from a rpg standpoint but still looking forward to it...

@ the title of the thread, I know someone who though skyrim was an expansion to oblivion... yeh they actually thought so.
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-23 09:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
That's kind of true in all Bethesda's games. The Main Story often, intentionally feels kind of... I don't want to say Dull, but definitely lacking in the climactic sense, compared to a lot of other games. But Bethesda's games are never actually about the Main Story, they're about the World itself, and they populate the world with all of these subplots, faction dynamics and politics, that often make for a more intriguing narrative than "Evil is here, go kill it, thx"
Well thats the thing about it. You can go out and try to level, clear every dungeon, do every guild and level all your stats...then you realize you have many hours of play time and forgot to go to the temple in the snow town and are only 2 hours into the main story XD oh and theirs Oblivion gates every 3 feet. >_> if you don't stop them from opening they will literally open everywhere after you get a lot of time invested.

Asura.Ina said:
Ramuh.Urial said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Hold it there, John. I'm not saying Oblivion was lacking in all of these, no because if it was I wouldn't be still playing to this day. It's just that the whole imperial theme of the game was pretty basic fantasy. And it was a bit tame.
I am saying Oblivion was lacking in all of it. That game doesn't ooze detail at every crevice like Morrowind, or the subsequent Fallout games (3 and New Vegas), which leads me to believe it wasn't intentional, just time kind of kicked them in the balls while working with the new tech. They also fixed a lot of it in Shivering Isles. Again, further substantiating "***, it's March 23rd already?" theory. I actually enjoyed the Shivering Isles Expansion more than Oblivion itself. Despite being smaller, the overall package was much deeper, detailed and entertaining.
I had the same problem...
Kinda concerned about skyrim though because apperently they have removed attributes from it, kinda lowered my expectations for it from a rpg standpoint but still looking forward to it...

@ the title of the thread, I know someone who though skyrim was an expansion to oblivion... yeh they actually thought so.

As for concerns for it I don't have any. I'm sure it will keep me entertained for quite some time and the amount of lore and things on the side is more then enough to keep me nerdgasming for weeks. That's just how that series goes. It's the only game where I go out of my way to read every book/letter etc because it's all relevant for the most part....

lmao I just remembered one thing that made me lol
when you had to kill off the assassins guild.... >_> I did the multiplication glitch on a poisoned apple and just left like 50 poisoned apples in the sleeping quarters <_<
First Page 2