Siren.Shadee
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-04-07 12:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Stop trying to justify it.

What Geohotz did was wrong. The only consoles that bricked are the consoles with the custom firmware.

Nintendo did this too.

I wasn't trying to justify what Anon did. Like it I said before.. it was miss-targeted.

Geohotz.. got was was coming to him lol.

The only point I'm trying to make is that bricking people with the custom firmware wasn't the way to go.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-07 12:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Shadee said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bismarck.Misao said:
If a console pisses you off, why not get rid of it? while hacking a system for the lolz(good ones) and knowledge, is cool imo (look at all those kinect hacks, and custom mods), hacking just for screwing the company and piracy is just wrong. what happens next? game sales go down (yes, a brand new game cost damn much, but thats anther issue) and a good game might not do well. then the developer looks at those numbers, and discards the possibility of a sequel, or releases it to another console just to cut production cost, and while the game is there, it just doesn't feel right as if it had been a full sequel. Myself, am glad Sony is at least trying to combat this, even if this is getting out of control :/
This. I'm not afraid to say I'm a pirate, but I'm glad to see a company make a stand. Especially seeing as the PS3 offers a free online service to boot.
Make a stand? So people that paid 400-600 dollars deserve to get their consoles banned? REGARDLESS if they were pirating or not? And its not only the console cost.. you're talking game costs.. and any PSN download purchases that go void since their account is banned. They now have to go buy another PS3 if they want to play their games again. That's *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Oh and the "free online service" isn't really much. YOU still have to provide your own ISP. The PSN is more of a middle man. Game servers are NOT hosted by Sony. PSN is more of a gateway. What it does provide is ummm, trophies, a browser, friends list, chat room..., oh and you can't forget Playstation HOME!!!11 It's not much to maintain. The developers have the biggest issues. Oh and its "free" because of the commerce opportunities. The Playstation Store easily makes more than physical disc purchases. That, and you have services like Netflix that gives Sony a percentage as well. Not to mention developer opportunities like downloadable content (DLC). It's a win, win. No developer would want the PSN to cost money, it would be counter productive. Selling avatars and screen-savers.. is easy money. Its a rip off as well. It is also a single point of failure. Just because the PSN is down.. doesn't mean it's down on the developers end.
Are you one of those people that thinks everything should be free or only cost like a $ and give the best and greatest service ever because you deserve everything?
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2011-04-07 12:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

another reason why XBL > PSN :)
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-07 12:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Chrisstreb said:

derp
[+]
 Siren.Shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-04-07 12:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
Siren.Shadee said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bismarck.Misao said:
If a console pisses you off, why not get rid of it? while hacking a system for the lolz(good ones) and knowledge, is cool imo (look at all those kinect hacks, and custom mods), hacking just for screwing the company and piracy is just wrong. what happens next? game sales go down (yes, a brand new game cost damn much, but thats anther issue) and a good game might not do well. then the developer looks at those numbers, and discards the possibility of a sequel, or releases it to another console just to cut production cost, and while the game is there, it just doesn't feel right as if it had been a full sequel. Myself, am glad Sony is at least trying to combat this, even if this is getting out of control :/
This. I'm not afraid to say I'm a pirate, but I'm glad to see a company make a stand. Especially seeing as the PS3 offers a free online service to boot.
Make a stand? So people that paid 400-600 dollars deserve to get their consoles banned? REGARDLESS if they were pirating or not? And its not only the console cost.. you're talking game costs.. and any PSN download purchases that go void since their account is banned. They now have to go buy another PS3 if they want to play their games again. That's *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Oh and the "free online service" isn't really much. YOU still have to provide your own ISP. The PSN is more of a middle man. Game servers are NOT hosted by Sony. PSN is more of a gateway. What it does provide is ummm, trophies, a browser, friends list, chat room..., oh and you can't forget Playstation HOME!!!11 It's not much to maintain. The developers have the biggest issues. Oh and its "free" because of the commerce opportunities. The Playstation Store easily makes more than physical disc purchases. That, and you have services like Netflix that gives Sony a percentage as well. Not to mention developer opportunities like downloadable content (DLC). It's a win, win. No developer would want the PSN to cost money, it would be counter productive. Selling avatars and screen-savers.. is easy money. Its a rip off as well. It is also a single point of failure. Just because the PSN is down.. doesn't mean it's down on the developers end.
Are you one of those people that thinks everything should be free or only cost like a $ and give the best and greatest service ever because you deserve everything?

Nah, just a miss-understanding.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-04-07 12:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Chrisstreb said:
I have both and prefer PSN... plus XBL requires a $50 fee for 12 months of service... the same basic service is free on PSN... Also if you don't think this could happen to XBL you'd probably be wrong...
 Lakshmi.Seoha
user: Mameshiba
By Lakshmi.Seoha 2011-04-07 12:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Chrisstreb said:
inb4 PSN is for free and stuff like that!

...seriously though, that's the ONLY thing I dislike on XBL. 60 USD / month is so costly for me!
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Seoha
By Lakshmi.Seoha 2011-04-07 12:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Lakshmi.Seoha said:
Sylph.Chrisstreb said:
inb4 PSN is for free and stuff like that! ...seriously though, that's the ONLY thing I dislike on XBL. 60 USD / month is so costly for me!
It's per year.
Sorry! That was a typo, I meant to write year D: D: D:
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-07 12:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Chrisstreb said:
Seriously, don't start this ***.. Not only on 360 do you get caught hacking/cracking your system and using illegal copies of games do you have to buy the whole new system, but you have to pay for the online service, yet again.

This subject does not put one console over the other, end of story, so take that fanboy ***elsewhere.

To Shade, when I pirate ***, I know the risks, so should everyone else. Everyone who has done it knows what could happen, so don't *** when you get caught, suck it up and take it like a man.

Anyone who has ever hacked/cracked an electronic and made that ***public, damn well knew what could happen but "oh it could never happen to me".. don't start whining when it does.

Sony, and anyone else has every right to take whatever steps are necessary to protect their assets. That doesn't mean I'm just going to stop being a pirate because some company doesn't want their ***stolen, nor does it mean they always choose the best way to go about it (LOLDRM) but they're well within their rights to do it.

If you hacked a system knowing the risks, but got away with it until they put out something that bricked said system, guess who's to blame.. It ain't the company.

Let me reiterate, every pirate knows the risks. That means you don't have the right to *** when those risks turn into realities.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-04-07 12:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Sylph.Chrisstreb said:
Seriously, don't start this ***.. Not only on 360 do you get caught hacking/cracking your system and using illegal copies of games do you have to buy the whole new system, but you have to pay for the online service, yet again.

This subject does not put one console over the other, end of story, so take that fanboy ***elsewhere.

To Shade, when I pirate ***, I know the risks, so should everyone else. Everyone who has done it knows what could happen, so don't *** when you get caught, suck it up and take it like a man.

Anyone who has ever hacked/cracked an electronic and made that ***public, damn well knew what could happen but "oh it could never happen to me".. don't start whining when it does.

Sony, and anyone else has every right to take whatever steps are necessary to protect their assets. That doesn't mean I'm just going to stop being a pirate because some company doesn't want their ***stolen, nor does it mean they always choose the best way to go about it (LOLDRM) but they're well within their rights to do it.

If you hacked a system knowing the risks, but got away with it until they put out something that bricked said system, guess who's to blame.. It ain't the company.

Let me reiterate, every pirate knows the risks. That means you don't have the right to *** when those risks turn into realities.
stupid pirates don't.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Seoha
By Lakshmi.Seoha 2011-04-07 12:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Sylph.Chrisstreb said:
Seriously, don't start this ***.. Not only on 360 do you get caught hacking/cracking your system and using illegal copies of games do you have to buy the whole new system, but you have to pay for the online service, yet again. This subject does not put one console over the other, end of story, so take that fanboy ***elsewhere. To Shade, when I pirate ***, I know the risks, so should everyone else. Everyone who has done it knows what could happen, so don't *** when you get caught, suck it up and take it like a man. Anyone who has ever hacked/cracked an electronic and made that ***public, damn well knew what could happen but "oh it could never happen to me".. don't start whining when it does. Sony, and anyone else has every right to take whatever steps are necessary to protect their assets. That doesn't mean I'm just going to stop being a pirate because some company doesn't want their ***stolen, nor does it mean they always choose the best way to go about it (LOLDRM) but they're well within their rights to do it. If you hacked a system knowing the risks, but got away with it until they put out something that bricked said system, guess who's to blame.. It ain't the company. Let me reiterate, every pirate knows the risks. That means you don't have the right to *** when those risks turn into realities.
Smart people won't do stupid mistakes.

Fixed, I think?
Not sure if that was your point ;3 sure as hell I agree with that though.
 Siren.Shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-04-07 12:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Chrisstreb said:

How about.. when your not pirating? When someone put in the firmware just to try and be creative with saaay like.. the Kinect or Move. Granted the Move sucks.. but I read they had made progress to get the Kinect to work on the PS3.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-04-07 12:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Seoha said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Sylph.Chrisstreb said:
Seriously, don't start this ***.. Not only on 360 do you get caught hacking/cracking your system and using illegal copies of games do you have to buy the whole new system, but you have to pay for the online service, yet again. This subject does not put one console over the other, end of story, so take that fanboy ***elsewhere. To Shade, when I pirate ***, I know the risks, so should everyone else. Everyone who has done it knows what could happen, so don't *** when you get caught, suck it up and take it like a man. Anyone who has ever hacked/cracked an electronic and made that ***public, damn well knew what could happen but "oh it could never happen to me".. don't start whining when it does. Sony, and anyone else has every right to take whatever steps are necessary to protect their assets. That doesn't mean I'm just going to stop being a pirate because some company doesn't want their ***stolen, nor does it mean they always choose the best way to go about it (LOLDRM) but they're well within their rights to do it. If you hacked a system knowing the risks, but got away with it until they put out something that bricked said system, guess who's to blame.. It ain't the company. Let me reiterate, every pirate knows the risks. That means you don't have the right to *** when those risks turn into realities.
Smart people won't do stupid mistakes.

Fixed, I think?
Not sure if that was your point ;3 sure as hell I agree with that though.
No lol that didn't fix it because that wasn't what i said lol.
smart people can make mistakes.
it's just stupid people take risks without weighing in what comes of those risks.
sooo yeah no fixie.
but it's all cool.
:D
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-04-07 12:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Chrisstreb said:
^This...

I personally care more about the size of my cats turds then what someone does with there console, but really don't throw a *** fit because you got cought doing something you know you shouldn't be doing. It's like the people who try to steal our apples at my work then get mad when we tell them to put it back... Just fill out a butt hurt form and take some ammount of minimal responsability by owning up and deal with it.

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-07 12:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Shadee said:
Sylph.Chrisstreb said:

How about.. when your not pirating? When someone put in the firmware just to try and be creative with saaay like.. the Kinect or Move. Granted the Move sucks.. but I read they had made progress to get the Kinect to work on the PS3.
Changes nothing I said, I mean I could go through all those ToS's everyone always just skips passed instead of reading, and point out exactly where you agreed to NOT do ***like that, but just suffice it to say, when you turned on that console and got passed it all to the main menu, you had already agreed to play by their rules so to speak.

When you throw that out the window, you throw out the window on their end of that as well.

The responsibility still lies with you, not them.
[+]
 Siren.Shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-04-07 13:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah the ToS does speak of responsibility. Like a previous firmware that messed up around 50,000 consoles. Aaaand Sony would only fix them at a cost to the consumer. WHY?

ToS:

EXCEPT AS STATED IN THE FOREGOING SENTENCE, SCEA EXCLUDES ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY LOSS OF DATA, DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE, AND ANY OTHER LOSS OR DAMAGE SUFFERED BY YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY, WHETHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL AND HOWEVER ARISING, AS A RESULT OF ACCESSING OR DOWNLOADING ANY CONTENT TO YOUR PLAYSTATION 3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM...

Sooo if THEY *** up your PS3, guess what, its YOUR responsibility as well.

Ownership rights? Where? =\
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-07 13:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Shadee said:
Yeah the ToS does speak of responsibility. Like a previous firmware that messed up around 50,000 consoles. Aaaand Sony would only fix them at a cost to the consumer. WHY?

ToS:

EXCEPT AS STATED IN THE FOREGOING SENTENCE, SCEA EXCLUDES ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY LOSS OF DATA, DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE, AND ANY OTHER LOSS OR DAMAGE SUFFERED BY YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY, WHETHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL AND HOWEVER ARISING, AS A RESULT OF ACCESSING OR DOWNLOADING ANY CONTENT TO YOUR PLAYSTATION 3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM...

You accepted the ToS?
[+]
 Siren.Shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-04-07 13:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Siren.Shadee said:

ToS:

You accepted the ToS?

Kinda have to if you wanna mess around online =P. HAD TO BUY PATAPON 2 =O!
 Siren.Shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-04-07 13:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't even remember if the accept screen pops up before you can even create a Console ID Name or after you first setup your PSN ID Handle.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-07 13:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Shadee said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Siren.Shadee said:

ToS:

You accepted the ToS?

Kinda have to if you wanna mess around online =P. HAD TO BUY PATAPON 2 =O!

Then I think you have to deal with it.

If you accept ToS, you can't turn around and complain when you get spanked for breaking it :/
 Siren.Shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-04-07 13:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I wasn't banned or anything <_<

All this time.. I haven't been speaking for myself.

Only reason I would want to use the firmware is for emulators.. but I have all the roms I would ever need on my laptop xD
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-07 13:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Shadee said:
I can't even remember if the accept screen pops up before you can even create a Console ID Name or after you first setup your PSN ID Handle.
It shows up when the system is first activated. When you're configuring the date/time and the region and ***like that..

My entire point was, you (and everyone else) accepted the ToS. The ToS is nothing new, it's been developing over countless years, they are well written and nearly ironclad.

When you agreed to them, you absolved them of any responsibility, most notably in this situation of "consequential (cracking the software, and their response to said software that bricked systems) loss arising from 3rd party software".

I don't know if you personally went through this (but I'm betting you did) but no one who did has any case. You agreed to THEIR Terms of Service for use of the product. It was violated, there were consequences, suck it up, be a man, you are at fault for bricking your own system.
 Siren.Shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-04-07 13:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Shadee said:
It shows up when the system is first activated. When you're configuring the date/time and the region and ***like that..

My entire point was, you (and everyone else) accepted the ToS. The ToS is nothing new, it's been developing over countless years, they are well written and nearly ironclad.

When you agreed to them, you absolved them of any responsibility, most notably in this situation of "consequential (cracking the software, and their response to said software that bricked systems) loss arising from 3rd party software".

I don't know if you personally went through this (but I'm betting you did) but no one who did has any case. You agreed to THEIR Terms of Service for use of the product. It was violated, there were consequences, suck it up, be a man, you are at fault for bricking your own system.

Nope =O Didn't go through it.

And again .. aside from cracking the software, even if it's their own *** up.. its your fault anyways.

Sure is ironclad xD
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-07 13:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It still costs sony money to fix the network
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2011-04-08 00:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

what about PSN+ or whatever they were talking about last year? and of course with the fact that XB users are paying the $60/year for XBL gold, you would also think that money is used to police those trying to pirate/hack into systems. I'm not saying I'm a XB fanboy but you have to weigh in the 'added' security that you pay for with XBL.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-04-08 00:31:40
Link | Quote | Reply

another reason there needs to be made laws regulating companies and overbearing tos agreements, ***'s *** up. You bought the console, do what the *** you want with it, sony needs to *** off.
 Alexander.Kewitt
Server: Alexander
user: ginger
By Alexander.Kewitt 2011-04-08 01:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet another reason to let PS2 support die!