Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » PSN is down due to hackers
PSN is down due to hackers
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-04-07 08:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The Over 9000 penises - Oprah joke was one of my favs. That and the first week they annoyed Tom Green.
 Siren.Shadee
Server: Siren
user: shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-04-07 09:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

PS3 has already had issues with pissing people off. Although most consoles are somewhat guilty of this.

Previous issue was a firmware update that "bricked" PS3's by accident. Like 50,000 consoles were affected... and they were charging them a fee to get it fixed. How nice of them.

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?43362-Sony-breaks-PS3s-with-firmware-update-charges-a-fee-to-repair-them

Aaaaand the most recent issue, of course, has been the Jailbreak PSN and Console ban. Sony is trying to make a stand. They are trying to say "hey its our consoles.. GTFO".

http://blog.pikimal.com/geek/2011/03/24/the-ps3-hacking-case-and-why-you-should-care/
(Long read, but has a lot of information)

The thing is.. its NOT their consoles.

They are saying that people who Jailbreak their PS3's are in a "Breach of Contract" and are subject to punishment. And if anyone has ever read the damn ToS, it always puts ANY blame on the user. Regardless if Sony is the one who *** it up to begin with.(Like the first article)

This happened to the X-Box as well. But the case was dismissed. Although it looked like it was on a technicality.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/12/crippen-dismissed/

This is the basis of the attacks on the Sony sites. Oh and yes, it is *** up that Sony is banning consoles.

Granted, any media company should have to worry about piracy when something like this happens. I just don't believe Sony actions are warranted. Just because someone Jailbreaked their PS3 doesn't mean that they are out pirating games and causing havoc. If you've noticed on the X-box side, people have been doing very creative things with their Kinect. It's the whole guilty before innocent act. Many people have genuinely pure positive ideas that help promote creative ideas in an Open PS3 environment.

Anon's attack on PSN was miss targeted but I support their stance on the subject. ***like this should NOT just be looked over.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-07 09:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Shadee said:
PS3 has already had issues with pissing people off. Although most consoles are somewhat guilty of this.

Previous issue was a firmware update that "bricked" PS3's by accident. Like 50,000 consoles were affected... and they were charging them a fee to get it fixed. How nice of them.

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?43362-Sony-breaks-PS3s-with-firmware-update-charges-a-fee-to-repair-them

Aaaaand the most recent issue, of course, has been the Jailbreak PSN and Console ban. Sony is trying to make a stand. They are trying to say "hey its our consoles.. GTFO".

http://blog.pikimal.com/geek/2011/03/24/the-ps3-hacking-case-and-why-you-should-care/
(Long read, but has a lot of information)

The thing is.. its NOT their consoles.

They are saying that people who Jailbreak their PS3's are in a "Breach of Contract" and are subject to punishment. And if anyone has ever read the damn ToS, it always puts ANY blame on the user. Regardless if Sony is the one who *** it up to begin with.(Like the first article)

This happened to the X-Box as well. But the case was dismissed. Although it looked like it was on a technicality.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/12/crippen-dismissed/

This is the basis of the attacks on the Sony sites. Oh and yes, it is *** up that Sony is banning consoles.

Granted, any media company should have to worry about piracy when something like this happens. I just don't believe Sony actions are warranted. Just because someone Jailbreaked their PS3 doesn't mean that they are out pirating games and causing havoc. If you've noticed on the X-box side, people have been doing very creative things with their Kinect. It's the whole guilty before innocent act. Many people have genuinely pure positive ideas that help promote creative ideas in an Open PS3 environment.

Anon's attack on PSN was miss targeted but I support their stance on the subject. ***like this should NOT just be looked over.

It's sony's intellectual property. The whole 'positive ideas' aspect would be fine, but we ALL know the main reason people wanted to jailbreak PS3's.

And they told Geohotz to stop once and he basically said "lolno" and carried on.

I like piracy as much as the next guy, but don't make out it's anything but what it is.
[+]
 Caitsith.Sai
Server: Caitsith
user: Saiii
By Caitsith.Sai 2011-04-07 09:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

But, as we saw with ffxi, panties will be wadded when people can't get their COD.

Consumerism at its finest lol.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-07 10:02:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If a console pisses you off, why not get rid of it?
while hacking a system for the lolz(good ones) and knowledge, is cool imo (look at all those kinect hacks, and custom mods), hacking just for screwing the company and piracy is just wrong.
what happens next? game sales go down (yes, a brand new game cost damn much, but thats anther issue) and a good game might not do well. then the developer looks at those numbers, and discards the possibility of a sequel, or releases it to another console just to cut production cost, and while the game is there, it just doesn't feel right as if it had been a full sequel.
Myself, am glad Sony is at least trying to combat this, even if this is getting out of control :/
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-07 10:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said:
while hacking a system for the lolz(good ones) and knowledge, is cool imo (look at all those kinect hacks, and custom mods), hacking just for screwing the company and piracy is just wrong.
what happens next? game sales go down (yes, a brand new game cost damn much, but thats anther issue) and a good game might not do well. then the developer looks at those numbers, and discards the possibility of a sequel, or releases it to another console just to cut production cost, and while the game is there, it just doesn't feel right as if it had been a full sequel.
Myself, am glad Sony is at least trying to combat this, even if this is getting out of control :/

This. I'm not afraid to say I'm a pirate, but I'm glad to see a company make a stand. Especially seeing as the PS3 offers a free online service to boot.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Seoha
Server: Lakshmi
user: Mameshiba
By Lakshmi.Seoha 2011-04-07 10:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

So any word on when PSN is back online guys?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-07 10:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Andevom said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
So yeah, Anonymous...

Stopped reading.

Seriously, Anonymous?

They talk about how they want a free flow of knowledge and stuff, but most of them would probably ***themselves if someone made a website exposing their individual identities to the world.

Regardless, the fact that they can take down services at will is incredibly annoying.

Is it down for everyone then? I was wondering if it was EU only.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-07 10:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldnt mind being a sky pirate =P
the Dreamcast is a good example of Hacking/Piracy getting out of control (and im guilty too)that it was a factor of Sega going down. As for game hacking, sure, it was fine back in the day when there was no online play, but "GameSharking" a game nowadays, is a cheap way to unlock Trophies/Achievments, and even affects other players when playing Online (CoD!) that pretty much renders dead the will to even play the game :/
 Lakshmi.Seoha
By Lakshmi.Seoha 2011-04-07 10:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, I didn't meant it to sound like it's down in my country Flion. I'm stuck at work D:
(well one hour 'till lunch and I'll probably have lunch at my local arcade lawlz).

I, somehow, thought PSN was down to everyone.
You're in EU Flion?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-07 10:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Seoha said:
Oh, I didn't meant it to sound like it's down in my country Flion. I'm stuck at work D:
(well one hour 'till lunch and I'll probably have lunch at my local arcade lawlz).

I, somehow, thought PSN was down to everyone.
You're in EU Flion?

Yeah UK. I'm pretty sure it's down worldwide though.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-07 10:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said:
This is one major reason why I prefer PC gaming.. I'm a pirate by nature, I play a game for about a week max and then I'm tired of it, it's very rare they put out anything good enough to make me want to stick around playing it (this is of course, refering to offline solo play)..

I have a console, but I have no interest in hacking it to pirate ***, not that I couldn't, it's just more of a headache than it's worth. When it comes to console exclusives, I either buy them or I don't. That means I miss out on a lot of games I thought were interesting, but meh, they're rarely good enough for me to really care that I'm missing them, and if they are that good, I end up just buying it anyways.
 Lakshmi.Seoha
By Lakshmi.Seoha 2011-04-07 10:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Seoha said:
Oh, I didn't meant it to sound like it's down in my country Flion. I'm stuck at work D: (well one hour 'till lunch and I'll probably have lunch at my local arcade lawlz). I, somehow, thought PSN was down to everyone. You're in EU Flion?
Yeah UK. I'm pretty sure it's down worldwide though.
I hit BB:CS with Raen sometimes.
He's in UK too~
Man we'll be laggy like hell!
By Zellc 2011-04-07 10:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Shadee said:

Holy S***. It all makes sense now. I was wondering why I have had two ps3's just crap out on me. But now that I think about it, it was after those firmware updates. Guess I should have done a little research on the matter.

Just to give a run down on how much I have spent on the current ps3 I have, here is a summary: original 60 gig ps3 I bought new 499(i think, cant really remember); second ps3 60 gig refurbishment 155 and some change; third ps3 slim 120 gig(which is currently working well) 155 and some change. Grand total is over 800 dollars(US). Really suck to know it wasn't my fault the were dying on me. I thought I was overheating them. My heart goes out to all the other thousands of ps3 owner who had to go through what i did.
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2011-04-07 11:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

is it still 2007?
Seriously Anon-*** cut it out. the "real"-ppl that started it all grew up and my guess is they wuldn't haven done something this stupid in the first place.

seriously.... just facepalm-inducing!
[+]
 Siren.Shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-04-07 11:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bismarck.Misao said:

This. I'm not afraid to say I'm a pirate, but I'm glad to see a company make a stand. Especially seeing as the PS3 offers a free online service to boot.

Make a stand? So people that paid 400-600 dollars deserve to get their consoles banned? REGARDLESS if they were pirating or not?

And its not only the console cost.. you're talking game costs.. and any PSN download purchases that go void since their account is banned.

They now have to go buy another PS3 if they want to play their games again.

That's *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Oh and the "free online service" isn't really much. YOU still have to provide your own ISP. The PSN is more of a middle man. Game servers are NOT hosted by Sony. PSN is more of a gateway.

What it does provide is ummm, trophies, a browser, friends list, chat room..., oh and you can't forget Playstation HOME!!!11

It's not much to maintain. The developers have the biggest issues.

Oh and its "free" because of the commerce opportunities. The Playstation Store easily makes more than physical disc purchases. That, and you have services like Netflix that gives Sony a percentage as well.

Not to mention developer opportunities like downloadable content (DLC). It's a win, win. No developer would want the PSN to cost money, it would be counter productive.

Selling avatars and screen-savers.. is easy money. Its a rip off as well.

It is also a single point of failure. Just because the PSN is down.. doesn't mean it's down on the developers end.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-07 11:52:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Shadee said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bismarck.Misao said:

Make a stand? So people that paid 400-600 dollars deserve to get their consoles banned? REGARDLESS if they were pirating or not?

And its not only the console cost.. you're talking game costs.. and any PSN download purchases that go void since their account is banned.

Oh and the "free online service" isn't really much. YOU still have to provide your own ISP. The PSN is more of a middle man. Game servers are NOT hosted by Sony. PSN is more of a gateway.

What it does provide is ummm, trophies, a browser, friends list, chat room..., oh and you can't forget Playstation HOME!!!11

Oh and its "free" because of the commerce opportunities. The Playstation Store easily makes more than physical disc purchases. That and you have services like Netflix that gives Sony a percentage as well.

Not to mention developer opportunities like downloadable content (DLC). It's a win, win. No developer would want the PSN to cost money, it would be counter productive.

It is also a single point of failure. Just because the PSN is down.. doesn't mean it's down on the developers end.

So that justifies piracy? And Sony shouldn't be able to take steps to stop that?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-04-07 11:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Shadee said:

Erm... Yeah I'm pretty sure he was contrasting free services on PS3 as opposed to paying for online service AFTER you pay for everything you just mentioned.

For that matter, what console isn't a middle man? Has there ever been a console that allowed you to get online without first paying for internet service? No..
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-07 11:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Siren.Shadee said:

Erm... Yeah I'm pretty sure he was contrasting free services on PS3 as opposed to paying for online service AFTER you pay for everything you just mentioned.

Bingo.

I'm happy they're suing Geohotz myself. I don't buy his *** excuses and I think Sony has every right to defend their intellectual property.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Ianpyst
Server: Gilgamesh
user: ianpyst
By Gilgamesh.Ianpyst 2011-04-07 12:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:

They can still use their console, just not the PSN. If you are going to hack a console you need to expect being unable to use the online service in the futur lol.

Also, PSN is free idk wtf you are smoking but obviously they aren't hosting every single game of whatever and obviously they are a gateway (Sony is actually hosting MAG games but thats another story).

You also forgot they need to maintain the PS store.

XBox live is 60$ per year, for pretty much the same service. Microsoft also banned every hacked consoles that tried to use live.

Also, wtf does DLC have to do with this? Why is it even a point in the argument? You can share with 4 other people what you buy on the PSN, so you are in reallity only paying 1/5 of it's actual cost.

Seriously keep crying but Sony is far from being as bad as people want them to be.

Corporations are trying to make money, burn them down! (Also nobody is forcing anyone to pay for anything on the PSN...)

I've come to learn that Shadee is like Pimpchan. It's best to just ignore any post by them.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Nixak
Server: Bahamut
user: Nixak
By Bahamut.Nixak 2011-04-07 12:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So, would there still be any point in my buying a PS3 this summer?
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-04-07 12:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Good thread seriously, would read again.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-04-07 12:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Cerelyn said:
lolps3
TROLL.
How's you doing Elanabella?
 Siren.Shadee
By Siren.Shadee 2011-04-07 12:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Siren.Shadee said:

Oh and its "free" because of the commerce opportunities. The Playstation Store easily makes more than physical disc purchases. That and you have services like Netflix that gives Sony a percentage as well.

They can still use their console, just not the PSN. If you are going to hack a console you need to expect being unable to use the online service in the futur lol.

Also, PSN is free idk wtf you are smoking but obviously they aren't hosting every single game of whatever and obviously they are a gateway (Sony is actually hosting MAG games but thats another story).

You also forgot they need to maintain the PS store.

XBox live is 60$ per year, for pretty much the same service. Microsoft also banned every hacked consoles that tried to use live.

Also, wtf does DLC have to do with this? Why is it even a point in the argument? You can share with 4 other people what you buy on the PSN, so you are in reallity only paying 1/5 of it's actual cost.

Seriously keep crying but Sony is far from being as bad as people want them to be.

Corporations are trying to make money, burn them down! (Also nobody is forcing anyone to pay for anything on the PSN...)

No, they are actually banning the ENTIRE console, not just the PSN. I'm glad you know what you're talking about.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ps3-console-bans-firmware/

There's a costumer service rep giving the entire story.

Oh and I didn't mention that it wasn't free.. You sure your reading it right?... try harder maybe.

Compare it to how free checking accounts used to be before the government came in. They offered no service charges.. and a free debit card. They did this knowing they would get their service fees back and more through people over drafting. Which they did.

The "over drafting" in this case would be people buying DLC, and other services. It's just a analogy, I am well aware people aren't forced into buying anything.

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Siren.Shadee said:

For that matter, what console isn't a middle man? Has there ever been a console that allowed you to get online without first paying for internet service? No..

Your console is not the middle man.. its the initial starting point. PSN is the middle man. The reason for bringing the ISP into it is to just make a quick notion that everything shouldn't be considered "free".

Oh and no, bricking a PS3 is NOT something Sony should be doing to defend their "intellectual property". Hence the ***-storm a brewing.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-07 12:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop trying to justify it.

What Geohotz did was wrong. The only consoles that bricked are the consoles with the custom firmware.

Nintendo did this too.

Post deleted by User.