Eva/SB vs Haste/SB theif sets
First Page 2
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2011-03-22 22:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I was working on a eva/subtle Blow set. Came up first with

Then i wanted to see if i could max out haste and subtle blow without much loss to eva; and cam eup with this

Its a loss of around 50~ eva (which is no big deal with atmas) But it gives 26% haste and 36% Subtle blow (and +15% from /nin) with a fair amount of eva.

Any ideas or suggestions?
 Asura.Kese
Server: Asura
user: buhusky34
By Asura.Kese 2011-03-22 22:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

thief*
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2011-03-22 22:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

/grin

Edit: If you no what i ment, then its good enough'
[+]
 Caitsith.Loughry
Server: Caitsith
user: Loughry
By Caitsith.Loughry 2011-03-22 22:24:13
Link | Quote | Reply

My sets: Assuming /nin

Ideal set for auto attacking in small man situations when not tanking, and trying to avoid massive TP feed. This set puts Subtle Blow at 52, but this also attains the 26% Haste in gear.

Ideal set for solo or small man tanking situations. Use Optical hat if needed, and change Ungur's to Raider's boomerang if the evasion is not needed. Puts Subtle blow at 51 if /nin and adds a high amount of +AGI.

Edited for clarity.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-03-22 22:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You shouldn't be using Denali, at all. The benefits do not outweigh the lost haste from the AF+2 head. Even in a eva situation. You are better off ending the fight faster via more haste, then losing 2% for a small 3Eva and 4Agi.
[+]
 Caitsith.Loughry
By Caitsith.Loughry 2011-03-22 22:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nemesio said:
You shouldn't be using Denali, at all. The benefits do not outweigh the lost haste from the AF+2 head. Even in a eva situation. You are better off ending the fight faster via more haste, then losing 2% for a small 3Eva and 4Agi.

The set is just to maximize AGI for less TP feed. In my solo/duo situations, I really don't care how long the fight lasts, just as long as it goes smoothly and my way. I prefer Denali.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-03-22 22:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

But if it goes faster... There will be less margin for error.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2011-03-22 22:41:00
Link | Quote | Reply

kermet the frog Vs the mini frog?
[+]
 Caitsith.Loughry
By Caitsith.Loughry 2011-03-22 22:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nemesio said:
But if it goes faster... There will be less margin for error.

The set is sitting at 8% haste. Bumping to 10% would be a matter of preference. It's one that I would not prefer. I'm a subtle blow *** and Denali has a good mix of haste/evasion/subtle blow.

It's ideal to me for the solo and duo situations. Mainly for NM and such.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-03-22 22:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

No vs. lol, was just trying to offer some advice.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-03-22 22:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

THF has higher eva than NIN, and I tend to not even have a problem with shadows in a full DD set. So I don't see how that 3Agi and eva makes a difference... While the haste would actually make a difference. I know they are 2 completely different jobs, and I don't claim to know THF that well. Just that Denali, since it was introduced, was trash.
[+]
 Asura.Ericka
user: foxxie
By Asura.Ericka 2011-03-22 22:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Denali Bonnet is Really a waste and you should drop it.

there are far better Head gear for AGI if that's what you're looking to use in your setup.
[+]
 Caitsith.Loughry
By Caitsith.Loughry 2011-03-22 22:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Denali is trash in almost everything until the AGI update, which then made it decent for an AGI build.

In a lot of my situations as THF, the TP feed against NMs is more important than just downing it fast.

Really the headpiece for that set just comes down to opinion. Your advice is taken and I'll try it out. But again, it was just made to have an extreme set that gave as little TP feed as possible while tanking.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-03-22 22:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Chances are if you are duo'ing(Or any small situation) you should have auspice. That should open many situations for you.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2011-03-22 22:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said:
kermet the frog Vs the mini frog?

____________Fight!____________

vs.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-03-22 22:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Degeneration
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Degeneration 2011-03-22 23:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If you wanna use evasion set, its better for tanking. I like to use SB set when i am not tanking.

Tha's just me. :)

I should work on SB set more because evasion set is overrated in abyssea already x.x;
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-03-22 23:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Subtle blow really isn't something to Lol about. It is pretty substantial in fights. After TP'ing on a mob for about a minute, and watching it TP once. And then having a BLU hop in with some Oa4 swords attacking just enough to CDC and having the mob TP twice, you really appreciate it.
[+]
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2011-03-22 23:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

How much evasion is too much? Mostly thinking higher tier NM's like zone bosses in this case. With this set I have +65 evasion and +17 evasion skill. Where would it be best to add in haste/dd pieces? I have Raider's +1 5/5 available to me.

Caitsith.Loughry
By Caitsith.Loughry 2011-03-23 00:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Decimus said:
How much evasion is too much? Mostly thinking higher tier NM's like zone bosses in this case. With this set I have +65 evasion and +17 evasion skill. Where would it be best to add in haste/dd pieces? I have Raider's +1 5/5 available to me.

It's going to vary I think. I remember not long ago tanking Itzpapalotl on THF my full evasion set and it would miss very often. Just a small upgrade I quickly see would be to upgrade legs to Ocelot trousers. After that, maybe sub in your +1 body and head piece to see how you fair evasion-wise to whatever you're fighting.

In short, probably just sub in 1 by 1 a piece against a NM you're fighting to see where you stand on evasion against it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-03-23 00:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, each mob is so different, that it really depends. There is a certain point though where you are gimping your damage by far to much to actually warrant the evasion. The only way is to mix and match, and decide for yourself.

edit: Beaten, but same point.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2011-03-23 16:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

least the frog wars are over..
[+]
 Bismarck.Rinkydink
Server: Bismarck
user: rinkydink
By Bismarck.Rinkydink 2011-03-23 16:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Loughry said:
Sylph.Decimus said:

It's going to vary I think. I remember not long ago tanking Itzpapalotl on THF my full evasion set and it would miss very often. Just a small upgrade I quickly see would be to upgrade legs to Ocelot trousers. After that, maybe sub in your +1 body and head piece to see how you fair evasion-wise to whatever you're fighting.

In short, probably just sub in 1 by 1 a piece against a NM you're fighting to see where you stand on evasion against it.

tanking? get bullwhip off.. pretty much because its terribad if your soloing mobs that use magic.. it hurts..

plus you say you have +65 evasion... do you have eva atma as well?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Roudidou
user: Roudidou
By Ragnarok.Roudidou 2011-03-23 16:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Decimus said:

There's such a thing as too much EVA?!

Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2011-03-23 19:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rinkydink said:
Caitsith.Loughry said:
Sylph.Decimus said:

tanking? get bullwhip off.. pretty much because its terribad if your soloing mobs that use magic.. it hurts..

plus you say you have +65 evasion... do you have eva atma as well?

The negative stats aren't really relevant. People with common sense will not be wearing that belt when spells go off, and furthermore, all DDs should already carry MDT sets. No exceptions.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-03-23 19:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eeek said:
The negative stats aren't really relevant. People with common sense will not be wearing that belt when spells go off, and furthermore, all DDs should already carry MDT sets. No exceptions.
You'd be surprised how many people don't carry MDT sets...
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2011-03-23 19:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Decimus said:

Since you have THF DNC DRG, I'll suggest that you immediately start work on two AGI Kilas +2 if haven't already done so. Those two daggers give you +18 AGI and +40 Evasion without affecting your DD gear. That alone is a sizable boost in damage output. With those two daggers equipped, you'd be surprised at the wide array of NMs you can comfortably fight in full DD gear.

I most often play THF and DNC in Abyssea, and I don't think I've ever seriously considered the use of evasion atmas. I have a full evasion set with dual AGI Kilas +2, and when I use them, not even God Himself could lay a finger on me.

I almost always infuse RR/GH/Apoc, but if I'm anticipating fighting an NM that deals a tremendous amount of magic damage, I'll infuse RR/GH/Future Fabulous (or, in place of FF, an elemental resist atma if the NM/mobs nuke with a single element).
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2011-03-23 19:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nemesio said:
Asura.Eeek said:
You'd be surprised how many people don't carry MDT sets...

Not really. There are lots of terrible players out there. While all the scrubs drop dead to Thundaga IVs, the players with common sense will put together a MDT gearset that renders even strongest mob nukes nothing more than a mild annoyance.

EDIT:
Here's what I use. It's not that great, but it gets the job done.

Both Dark Rings are augmented with -6% MDT (among other defensive stats), so the set's total is -26% MDT. I should buy more MDB pieces (and figure out a way to cram them into active inventory).
[+]
 Leviathan.Ositoslindo
Server: Leviathan
user: Tenmetsu
By Leviathan.Ositoslindo 2011-03-23 19:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

why would a THF need eva set in abyssea? >_> I sure don't.. not even for tanking big ***.. unless it's something HUGE like Apedemik(sp?)lol.
First Page 2