THF Tanking & Atmas
First Page 2
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-01-27 15:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just wondering whether or not a HP atma would be worth using on THF while dualboxing a WHM.

At the moment, I only have 2 Atma slots available and 3 Abyssites of Merit. I was looking through my Atma list and realised I had Impregnable Tower.

How well would the HP+:Superior fare in comparison to RR or GH? I know RR/GH or RR/AO would be my better options for doling out damage, but would it be worth dropping one in favour of more HP? (I'm aiming to dualbox my remaining zone boss/caturae wins)
 Odin.Hevans
Server: Odin
user: Hev
By Odin.Hevans 2011-01-27 15:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

i tank on dnc not thf, but it will really depend on what you're fighting. some mobs don't have any bad moves. however, you'll need a hp atma if the mobs is dropping 3k aga nukes on you. for dnc i usually do RR/GH/Dark Depths. you shouldn't need any more evasion than that.
 Sylph.Gredival
user: Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-01-27 15:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

On Caturaes it's probably worth going with GH and an HP atma. You can probably get away with RR/GH on the weaker zone bosses.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-27 16:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I did 2 of the newer zone bosses with RR/GH/Dark Depths. And usually that's what I use to tank. The last one sometimes gets switched out for A&O if I feel safe, SS if I need more hp, Fistules one if I need some MDB and maybe regen (more soloing or limited healing kinda thing), and even an evasion one once
 Phoenix.Hagino
Server: Phoenix
user: hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2011-01-27 17:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

normally RR GH and last one depends what im tanking
smaller stuff i keep apoc on but if im tanking the wyrms i use the elemental atmas to help negate the magic + my MDT set.

for cats i just go with RR GH Apoc. Somemetimes i have a whm with me but 75% of the time its me and my pocket rdm/blm mule.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-01-28 02:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks a lot for the tips guys ^^

(Turns out I don't have Tower on my THF mule ; ; must've been dead when I got it ><)

So I'm off to get a HP Atma in hopes that I can survive Iratham's assraping >_> (Firaga3 -> WS /joy)
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 02:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Fools drink + fools powder on both of your characters!!! Also I'd work on getting abyssites of merit
 Leviathan.Apoptygma
Server: Leviathan
user: Apoptygma
By Leviathan.Apoptygma 2011-01-28 03:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

VV/RR/Apocalypse.
That's all I use and will continue to use until there's a 4th atma.
 Odin.Jryan
user: jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 03:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I use RR / Future Fabulous / Savior.

Most of the moves that can 1 shot you are magical based, with superior MDB atma and a MDT/MDB gear set, you can pretty much avoid being 1 shotted by anything in abyssea.

Savior says "superior" for all stats, but it's actually only +30 to each. It also has "resist all status ailments: superior"... while this doesn't save your *** every time it doesn't hurt. The best part about Savior atma is the occ. absorbs dmg taken. This absorbs all forms of dmg, including magic tp moves physical hits. The proc rate is 15-20%.

RR is necessary to keep hate.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 03:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd put GH way higher than VV for any dagger user unless you are mostly there just to proc and gtfo. Especially thf
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-01-28 03:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

RR/GH/SS for hard things (Rani, Khimiria, Omega)

RH/GH/DD for kinda hard things (Raja)

RH/GH/Apoc for everything that's a joke (everything else)

THF+WHM should be able to kill everything in abyssea besides Rani(duh), Khimira (only because he -will- level up eventually) and Omega (only because of chainspell -ga4). I don't know, maybe THF+WHM can pull off Khimira/Omega with a more defensive setup but I don't have Future Fab or Savior so meh.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 03:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Just how much MDB is that superiour?
 Phoenix.Hagino
Server: Phoenix
user: hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2011-01-28 03:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Im not sure~ but in my current set + shell V im eating stuff like cerb's -ga4 for roughly 2-400 damage solo.
 Odin.Jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 04:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured it's like MAB's superior atma at +60. I often take 100-600 dmg from ga IV's without anyone mitigating dmg. That includes 1 MDB dagger and -45% MDT with whm shell V.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 04:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm might have to get it and maybe do some testing
 Odin.Jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 04:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Before I got savior atma, i'd use RR / FF / corresponding elemental resist +100 atma depending on what i was fighting. I noticed that for example +210 earth resist (bar+sash+100) on glavoid meant i avoided being slowga'd the majority of the time. Now i forego ele resist atmas for the savior atma though.. Both setups are effective for defensive tanking imo.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 04:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I'm working savior now but doing most of it solo is slow... and well the quest are slow in general lol. Btw what all does that Enhances all status effects do?
 Odin.Jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 04:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Enhances all status effects gives +30 to all character stats (STR DEX etc.)... not +50 like i was hoping but w/e.

It doesn't give any ele resists unfortunately.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 04:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jryan said:
Enhances all status effects gives +30 to all character stats (STR DEX etc.)... not +50 like i was hoping but w/e.

It doesn't give any ele resists unfortunately.
Nothing else? Like actually enhancing status effects?
 Odin.Jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 05:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Eye-balling it makes me think it's around 15 or 20%, however, i haven't done any concrete testing on it. That estimate is on the conservative side, it could be 25%.

Improves resistance to all status ailments: superior gives resistance to things like paralyze slow etc. TBH it's not as great as i though it would be. It works better on things like sleep para blind slow, than it does on something like curse (from doing bukhis / chloris).
 Odin.Jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 05:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't give +30 atk def etc. if that's what you're asking. You can however get +15 to such stats because +30 STR = +15 atk etc. I just checked it.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 05:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

No I meant actual status effects. Ya know buffs/bebuffs
 Odin.Jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 05:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

"Atma of the Master Crafter" has the same description as "Atma of the Savior." That being said, if you equip the former of the two, you will be able to see what that particular effect actually does.

It enhances all character stats +30.

TBH, I doubt SE would give anything in addition to that in the way of buffs / debuffs, because they're too lazy to. I only noticed +30 to each stat (STR DEX etc.), nothing else.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 05:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how they badly word things like that. Kinda like atma of the burning effigy /sigh
 Odin.Jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 06:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I agree with that.

I know ppl will QQ all day about what atma combos are best for w/e, but I can say that this atma is worth getting as an overall damage reducing atma which is useful for tanking.

I duo'd Iratham the other day with a whm, and the lowest HP i had was around 1200. Granted my max hp in MDT gear is like 2200 on taru anyway. I know Iratham is a punk now, but in addition to that I've used that atma while tanking Raja all the way down without dying, and Rani to 75% while trying to proc red / blue (subsequently brewed). Also tanked the wyrms in all the new zones, died to Azdaja when it took off both my cruor buffs and atma though :(

RR / savior / future fab is solid for anything really, but it really shines when you wanna do something that casts magic or has magic tp moves. Future fab allows you increase your haste and fast cast while wearing evasion / MDT gear, which is also nice.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 06:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah savoir is sounding kinda meh now though. Especially given what you have to do to get it lol

I mean it doesn't actually reduce dmg (well other than giving you more int) just sometimes heals you and helps prevent some status effects. Sounds like FF would be better if you had to chose between the 2. Can it at least sometimes block aura debuffs?
 Odin.Jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 06:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well as i said the occ. absorbs dmg proc rate is quite significant. But the utility of this atma as an all-around defensive option for a third slot is what makes it so great.

But you're right, this atma is troublesome to obtain. You can kill mobs (slightly) faster with something like GH or apoc equipped.

On another note...

I just read a previous post about someone suggesting HP atma on thf while tanking. I used to do that, until i realized you can minimize the dmg from NM nukes / TP moves to ridiculously low (or even positive) numbers via FF / savior / MDT/MDB gear setup / Shell V. Some mobs you are even lucky enough to know what's coming, for example, Ice Wyrm in Uleg only casts blizzard spells. A good mage will have you setup with resist spell for that element. I've seen ga IV's do less than 100 dmg before with this atma setup / good whm.
 Odin.Jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 06:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Earlier i killed that thew bomblet mandy in tahrongi. The first time it used petalback spin, I was inflicted with all negative debuffs that particular move has to offer. The 2nd time he used it i only had amnezia / poison / disease. I haven't noticed it helping me on auras though, I'll pay more attention..
 Ragnarok.Doluka
Server: Ragnarok
user: Doluka
By Ragnarok.Doluka 2011-01-28 07:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

RR/C&D/APOC hands down best tanking atmas for thf, my wife tanks everything that way, she used RR/C&D when only had 2 atma
First Page 2