THF Tanking & Atmas
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 07:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Doluka said:
RR/C&D/APOC hands down best tanking atmas for thf, my wife tanks everything that way, she used RR/C&D when only had 2 atma
Unless you are fighting soemthing that can 1 shot you like that :)
 Odin.Jryan
Server: Odin
user: jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 07:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

What happens when you get nuked with a ga 4, or blasted with a magical based TP move?
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-01-28 13:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually cure myself.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-01-28 13:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Some interesting discussion here, very good read! I noticed a few mentions of MDT gear on THF. While I personally know the potential a good MDT set has, THF doesn't appear to be able to wear piles of it without reasonably expensive or hard to get items.

Using the minimum number of slots while maintaining a "suitable" setup for it, I figured this set would cap me (with capped Shell/Shellra V). The only MDB piece I could find that wasn't replaced in other slots was Resolute Belt (giving a meager +2 MDB)

Assuming MDT-4% (or higher) Dark Rings

I'd love to see examples of other MDT sets though in an attempt to better both my survivability and my usefulness =)
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-01-28 13:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Twilight torque and Merman gear. It's more than easy to cap out.

If you choose to melee in your -mdt set, then <_<
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 13:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Well there is no other peices that give more than 3 except other rings and twilight neck and what you have up there. And they are all in haste slots or the slots you are already using except for a grip.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-01-28 13:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you melee'ing in your -mdt set?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 13:55:19
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as other slots MDB storm turban, Lamian kaman +1
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-01-28 13:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't planning on melee'ing in it XD Would it be something to consider? I was expecting more to macro it in (keeping it on when needed), then switching out to my standard TP gear when the spell's over with.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-28 13:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if you aren't meleeing in it that opens up alot more options and allows some more MDB. Like said before merman and also lore gear has some MDT as well as denali hands
 Phoenix.Hagino
Server: Phoenix
user: hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2011-01-28 14:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

the ideal MDT for thf~

my current set (dark rings now)
[+]
 Odin.Jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 18:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the set i use to tank in for stuff that uses magic tp / spells.

-21%MDT -15%PDT
14% haste + Future Fabulous Atma
alot of Dual Wield
kila +2 = +10 MDB
kila +2 = +20 EVA

You'll notice this set has a nice balance between -DT% and haste. There are other more hardcore item sets out there for MDT, but the marginal increases you'll get from some items don't really outweigh the the hate generation you'll get from wearing haste /dual wield gear in the same slot.

As some magical TP moves are instant, I do indeed use this set full time when I'm the only tank on the monster. I use carbonara for a small HP boost.

As I said before RR / Savior / Future Fab.
 Phoenix.Hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2011-01-28 21:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

you dont need to full time MDT you macro in to eat a spell~
[+]
 Odin.Jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2011-01-28 22:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Please read more carefully

"As some magical TP moves are instant, I do indeed use this set full time when I'm the only tank on the monster."
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-01-28 22:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You also don't need to full time -pdt gear, you should have a whm that knows what he/she's doing and tank it with your face in full dd gear/atma. It's the difference between doing something and doing something well.
 Phoenix.Hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2011-01-29 07:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

just duoed isgebind with a whm :3 hybrid sets are meh~
By Shisha 2011-02-02 23:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious why more people don't use an evasion atma for tanking? I generally go with RR/CnD/SS or GH. And have tanked most everything in aby fine. Is it not worth it?

Also I find Apoc atma kind of frustrating while tanking as thf. When I'm canceling the last Ni shadow for Ichi I normally wait till 60% before I cancel. Sometimes the insta cast procs on Ichi and goes off before I've canceled the Ni shadow, meaning I'm left without shadows till NI is back up.
 Valefor.Ivaan
Server: Valefor
user: ivaan
By Valefor.Ivaan 2011-02-03 00:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I was gon
Shisha said:
I'm curious why more people don't use an evasion atma for tanking? I generally go with RR/CnD/SS or GH. And have tanked most everything in aby fine. Is it not worth it?

Also I find Apoc atma kind of frustrating while tanking as thf. When I'm canceling the last Ni shadow for Ichi I normally wait till 60% before I cancel. Sometimes the insta cast procs on Ichi and goes off before I've canceled the Ni shadow, meaning I'm left without shadows till NI is back up.
i was gonna ask same thing about lack of evasion atma. Right now my evasion on thf is what like 339 i think w/o any evasion gear or anything. Now, when you ppl say use all these crit hit and dd atma are you talking about tping in haste gear or full evasion gear?

Phoenix.Hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2011-02-03 03:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

because evasion atma isnt needed if your set is good enough, use DD atma to bring mob down faster before it gets mean and kicks your ***.

it almost reminds me of the eat sushi vs meat

sushi + att/str gear or meat + acc gear
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2011-02-03 03:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

RR/GH/Apoc for anything that isn't going to absolutely one-shot you. Nothing in ffxi has magical tp moves that are too fast to swap into MDT gear that you can't survive without some shitty hybrid set. Only hybrid sets you should really ever touch are evasion hybrid sets.