Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » aeolian edge
aeolian edge
First Page 2
 Phoenix.Darkdestroyer
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Darkdestroyer 2011-01-11 05:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Was thinking about building a Aeolian Edge set for thf. Accully since AE is MaB basied was wondering if i could go with a MaB set and Thf/cor poping off Quick draw while making AE useful as well. So any ideas on a good AE build? or is the damage from AE stuck so low that its too LOL to bother.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-01-11 06:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm only 85, but using my TP setup & Ascetic's Tonic, I notice a 90~100 damage increase over TP set without Tonic (Around 520 with, 430 or so without), though I don't know how much MAB the tonic adds XD

I'll admit, I was considering how effective it would be to make a quick set a few days ago, though I'd probably still prioritise DD Atmas and /NIN over /COR and any MAB Atma.
 Phoenix.Darkdestroyer
By Phoenix.Darkdestroyer 2011-01-11 06:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

oh yeah /nin and dd set > then all...this idea came to me when my ls doing a FC pt to farm KI from gold boxes....we where failling to get Amber lights for Gold boxes because my AE's was only doing 500-600 tops.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-01-11 07:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

You won't be getting AE over 1k without some serious MaB or a brew. Its total damage is garbage unless you are hitting 4-5+ mobs with it. Really it's only good for the last 5% of a mob when you want amber light, or if you are brewing.
 Leviathan.Veltan
Server: Leviathan
user: kethrel
By Leviathan.Veltan 2011-01-11 07:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

While this WS might not be the most useful thing for thf/nin, I do strongly recommend using it for cor/nin. With MAB atma set and the mab gear available to corsair I was easily doing 1200+ dmg the other day on the cockatrice mobs in [a]attowha.

If I remember correctly, I had atma of the ultimate, atma of the baying moon and atma of the sea daughter so I could really spam it. This might be something to keep in mind next time you are put on the role of getting amber light.
[+]
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2011-01-22 16:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking to use this with a Brew. I don't have much MaB, so after MaB you'd want to stack on the Mods right? It's mods are Dex and Int, which mod would be better to stack?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-22 16:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're gonna brew then won't you cap and make extra dex/int from gear useless?
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2011-01-22 16:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

lmao, nice point :P. forgive my noobside ^^
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-22 16:49:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
You won't be getting AE over 1k without some serious MaB or a brew. Its total damage is garbage unless you are hitting 4-5+ mobs with it. Really it's only good for the last 5% of a mob when you want amber light, or if you are brewing.
If you build your atma setup around it and use an Ascetic's Tonic your numbers will be significantly higher. Makes a great AoEburn WS.
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2011-01-22 16:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeolian Edge Damage won't be absorbed by Rani during a TP move since it's magical right?

Edit: Would anyong sub BLM for the extra 24 Mab if you were brewing Rani?
 Bahamut.Leonelf
user: LeonPSP
By Bahamut.Leonelf 2011-01-22 16:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Beyond+Gales+Baying Moon don't need anything else you can be naked, i do 17k each WS with brew on Shinryu, and the NIN who brewed my Rani did heal it 11k hp during TP move.
[+]
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2011-01-22 17:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Leonelf said:
Beyond+Gales+Baying Moon don't need anything else you can be naked, i do 17k each WS with brew on Shinryu, and the NIN who brewed my Rani did heal it 11k hp during TP move.

Yea, but he only heals physical damage during a TP move I think. Nin probably did Jin or Hi I assume?
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2011-01-22 19:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wondering, Should I Use the WS as soon as I'm above 100TP or wait to 300TP? I'm assuming just spam at 100TP, but thought I'd ask.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-22 20:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Given how low it's base dmg is I'd stack some stat mods too. Ie RR still very good.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2011-01-22 20:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're going to pick MAB atmas to boost dmg, there's only 2 for consideration: Atma of the Ultimate (+50 MAB & Atma of the Gales (+40 WIND MAB).

Your choice of Regain Atma for the 3rd, assuming you can equip 3.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-22 20:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Gales doesn't give MAB. It's straight +40% wind dmg.

Also iirc PW atma give 50MAB too
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2011-01-22 20:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the correction there, now if only someone would make the edit on wiki.

PW does give 50 MAB, but honestly how many people have ever seen/ beat PW? It can't be more than a handful. While you're definitely spot on for bringing it up, it's just not a viable option for the majority of the playerbase. That atma is just something to keep in mind for the lucky few that have it.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-22 20:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah wiki is slow on so much now... still nothing on if there is a cap to the +element dmg or if they are additive or multiplicative with each other... and I've yet to get 2 of the same element to probably test it. Just enough to know it is done seperately from staff and day.

I'd seriously stack dex too though. I mean +50MAB isn't gunna do as much when your base dmg is like 400 lol. Wiki really needs to update the full formula for it too
 Leviathan.Popebenedict
Server: Leviathan
user: zwjl
By Leviathan.Popebenedict 2011-01-22 21:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Me and my buddy do this to AOE farm when our warrior friend is not there to fell cleave. Either I get on my cor/rdm or he goes thf/sam. He goes with baying moon (since he doesn't have access to ultimate), gales (which unconfirmed but I'm fairly certain is multiplied to answer Dasva's question), then equips Apocalypse for his last one. You would think RR would be the better choice because of the dex mod, but the added TP gain from the triple attack far outweighs the small damage boost (this would be a different story of course if you had a multi hit weapon or something of that nature, which would obviously be a better choice since this WS doesn't use the weapons base dmg etc etc) Also, a decent dex/haste build gear wise is the best option to go with, for obvious reasons.

He does a big pull (we like to do the chigeos in Attowa) with 200-300 tp already stored (after you get going, when you are pulling 25+ mobs you are almost promised a 2hr reset box) pops an Ascetics drink (which you almost always get as well) then uses Sekkanoki, does double AE, pops meditate, gets another one off about 6-9 seconds later, gains from the last 1-2 tics of meditate + hitting the target + getting hit occasionally from the 25+ on him and gets off his last AE which generally kills the rest of the mobs who survived until that point. If there are a few resists during the barrage (which doesn't happen often because of the macc from both the ascetics and gales atma), I just pick off the last 2-3 with like a holy or banish etc.

With an ascetics up he easily does 1200+ dmg.

While this is not as good as a fell cleave burn, it does get the job done. One thing it does help with is those mobs that like to run around, jumping out of the way of fell cleaves, nice big AOE range with this WS.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-22 21:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually that doesn't answer my question. My question was if the same element atmas are added together or multiplied. I already know they are not added to staff, mab etc. Don't even think there is a 2nd wind one anyways. And I meant RR over baying moon.

Yeah just did RR, Baying moon, gales in tp gear with tonic and hit a little over 1k lol. Mind you this was one of the older zones so I was down a decent amount of dex/int compared to the newer ones
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-22 21:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Actually that doesn't answer my question. My question was if the same element atmas are added together or multiplied. I already know they are not added to staff, mab etc. Don't even think there is a 2nd wind one anyways. And I meant RR over baying moon.

Yeah just did RR, Baying moon, gales in tp gear with tonic and hit a little over 1k lol. Mind you this was one of the older zones so I was down a decent amount of dex/int compared to the newer ones

He asked because he intended to brew with it, wouldn't that make stacking dex meaningless?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-22 22:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure who you are referring to there... since I wasn't responding to anyone that said they were only going to be brewing. But yes stats are useless with brew
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-22 22:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bojack said:
Just wondering, Should I Use the WS as soon as I'm above 100TP or wait to 300TP? I'm assuming just spam at 100TP, but thought I'd ask.

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Given how low it's base dmg is I'd stack some stat mods too. Ie RR still very good.

Figured you were replying to him there, I just quoted your last post.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Binckry
Server: Sylph
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2011-01-23 11:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm missing the point here. But since Gales adds straight wind damage, it won't add up to AE? And only straight Matk will? Other than the 2 mods, that is
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2011-01-23 12:30:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Brewed Rani last night. With A Tonic was doing about 11k per AE, which is about what I was expecting. Got Impatient cause she was doing Stygian Sphere almost EVERY time he got TP. Was going to proc red!! at about 60% and Brew but did it at 87% instead. Terror wore off at 11%. Adjusted WS accordingly, but then got amnesia >,>. She started readying the TP move that does amnesia and amnesia wears off...so amnesia'd again. I was getting a litle worried at that point lol. But amnesia wore off in time and killed with another AE and Evis cause he started casting. Got Blue !!, but no ring D:.
 Siren.Deric
Server: Siren
user: Deric
By Siren.Deric 2011-01-25 16:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

As a third Atma, how would Atma of the Smiting Blow with its Superior TP Bonus compare in place of a third 30 MAB Atma(lacking PW's)? Since we assume you are spamming right at 100% TP.

Also, is the bonus from Breeze gorget/Belt inferior to a MAB neck/waist when Brewing due to non-existent MAB caps?
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2011-01-25 16:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

iirc smiting blows TP bonus only applys to 2H weapons, I've been using;
Gales, Baying Moon, Ultimate.

would have done 1700ish+ done as NIN.
[+]
 Siren.Deric
Server: Siren
user: Deric
By Siren.Deric 2011-01-25 17:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Just did a little testing. Smiting Blow's TP bonus does in-fact apply too all weapons. Also note, that the TP bonus exceeds the damage compared to 30 MAB.

At 105% TP I found the following:

Gales/Ultimate = 900
Gales/Ultimate/Smiting = 1119
Gales/Ultimate/Beyond = 1074
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-26 00:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Well according to wiki ftp goes from 2.75 to 3.5... which is about a 27% increase in dmg. Which means something like beyond should only win if you had 0 base MAB.

Also Smiting blow: TP Bonus+:Superior

Weapon Skill Accuracy(2H Weapon Equipped)+:Superior
First Page 2