Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » THF90 evasions
THF90 evasions
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-10 14:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently tanked Orthus on thf. I actually put on evasion daggers but kept full DD atmas with the exception of some MDB stuff. Obviously I didn't parse but shadows lasted good enough that the vast majority of the time I went under 2 shadows was when it agad. Rarely did it take 2 down from melee hits before it aga'd me lol
 Fenrir.Ilax
Server: Fenrir
user: FireDeath
By Fenrir.Ilax 2011-02-10 15:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Maxse said:
Why does 1 combat skill = ~1 ACC.

Most magic skills add 1 MACC although the formulas for those are a bit more complex.

The reason why I say 1 Evasion = 1 Evasion skill is I ran a test maybe 6 months ago in the boyahoda tree. Had a steelshell that was EM (same mob for entire test) swing at me 1000 times in a boxers mantle another 1000 times in Ohat the both yeilded the same evade rate. Furthermore they both added 5% evade rate more than not having them on. It is in no way an all encomasing test saying that at all levels 1 skill = 1 eva but at least at the levels of the test they were equal.

Can be right, can be wrong. There a lots of theory about it, but no prof.

in your test, is your Eva skill was cap? (could have made a difference)

As you stated for MACC formula is more complex, so is for evasion, maybe your AGI was high enough to support the evasion bonus since you did fight a EM. (who know)

Assuming both are same when there is clearly evidence they are not the same, is just going in a wrong direction. Maybe no one find out yet the relation between both, that still don't mean 1=1.

In my head is clear there is a difference between both, i know SE make often a mistake on description ect, but this one been up since game released, SE always made Evasion gear and Evasion skill gear, and both do not add up to your skill when you check VIA (Combat skill).

My idea on it (without any prof also) is you need 0 AGI to support Evasion skill, but you do need more AGI to support Evasion bonus.

In other word, Evasion bonus worth not much or nothing again very high level mob/nm.

Of course all this is speculation with 0 prof, but i doubt i will change my Evasion torque for omega one, at least not till i see more evidence about all this.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2011-02-11 06:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I also recently 'tanked' Orthrus. Twashtar/Mandau and Twashtar/TK, RR/GH/Apoc atma, full-time DD gear and /war, my WHM mule never once came close to running out of mp, even when I was spamming curaga4/3/4 when it decided to use Acheron Flames followed by another Acheron Flames followed by Firaga4. Got 27 Orthrus's worth of claws, finishing up my lv90 Twashtar, took 6+ hours. Died twice, once because the Orthrus was moved(hate reset) and paralyzed the whms. Near the end, the majority of my group went to bed and all that remained was myself(along with my WHM and BLM mules), a nin and a WHMs. Keeping Berserk up as much as I could, my computer clock tells me the last fight we did took 4 minutes 45 seconds and my parser tells me I did approximately twice the damage the NIN did.

The whole point is that I simply want to reiterate that people obsess too much about not getting hit, not taking damage, unnecessarily sacrificing their DD capabilities in the process. The group I was competing with for pops, was a JP group who only had 1 NIN as their DD, constantly keeping shadows up, switching to evasion gear and turning(for some reason), spent up to 30 minutes killing their pop. You can probably imagine how annoyed I got at them. And yes, I have killed a few Orthrus as the solo tank/DD and 10 minutes would be considered slow.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-11 07:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I took like 15-20. But my entire pt was brd blu and a rdm that had no idea how to play the game. Let's just say the lol war/dnc we had with us for a bit before we started cured my paralysis more often than the rdm did...

But yeah I'm not a relic and/or empyrean thf. And the blu did like no dmg. Probably should've used food but meh.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-11 09:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Bismarck.Ihina said:
I also recently 'tanked' Orthrus. Twashtar/Mandau and Twashtar/TK, RR/GH/Apoc atma, full-time DD gear and /war, my WHM mule never once came close to running out of mp, even when I was spamming curaga4/3/4 when it decided to use Acheron Flames followed by another Acheron Flames followed by Firaga4. Got 27 Orthrus's worth of claws, finishing up my lv90 Twashtar, took 6+ hours. Died twice, once because the Orthrus was moved(hate reset) and paralyzed the whms. Near the end, the majority of my group went to bed and all that remained was myself(along with my WHM and BLM mules), a nin and a WHMs. Keeping Berserk up as much as I could, my computer clock tells me the last fight we did took 4 minutes 45 seconds and my parser tells me I did approximately twice the damage the NIN did.

The whole point is that I simply want to reiterate that people obsess too much about not getting hit, not taking damage, unnecessarily sacrificing their DD capabilities in the process. The group I was competing with for pops, was a JP group who only had 1 NIN as their DD, constantly keeping shadows up, switching to evasion gear and turning(for some reason), spent up to 30 minutes killing their pop. You can probably imagine how annoyed I got at them. And yes, I have killed a few Orthrus as the solo tank/DD and 10 minutes would be considered slow.

Wouldn't /nin kill faster than /war because you have DW3 instead of DW1 ...? Or did you have capped attack speed /war?

I've noticed that berserk/warcry do a lot for Rudra's, it may beat out the DW bonus, but I hardly ever use /war anyways.
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2011-02-11 10:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

We have natural dw2 now, so the difference from /war and /nin is smaller. Also, it's still hard to cap attack on thf, specially without stelwarts(which you can't always count with while spamming nms). So yeah, zerk is important.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Vonn
Server: Siren
user: VonnTaru
By Siren.Vonn 2011-02-11 13:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

honestly, thf's natural evasion is pretty up there, so evasion in every single slot is really overdoing it. try and throw in some damage taken down gear for those tp moves that go through shadows is my suggestion.
 Siren.Vonn
By Siren.Vonn 2011-02-11 13:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:
We have natural dw2 now, so the difference from /war and /nin is smaller. Also, it's still hard to cap attack on thf, specially without stelwarts(which you can't always count with while spamming nms). So yeah, zerk is important.

THF was only given DW1 :(
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2011-02-11 14:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny why ppl still take it like that. I tested it right after the update and posted on alla: linky

Going from DW2 to DW3 with 8 dw on equip is 14% increase in dot.

10 double attack should increase damage in 4-7% depending on how much triple attack we have. So, taking thf is an attack starved job, it's not unlikely that berserk will help make up or even overtake the rest of the difference.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-11 14:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda depends on atmas and such but I'd say 7% is kinda high for double attack given double/triple attack gear/atmas/merits and possibly multi hit offhand weapons
 Siren.Vonn
By Siren.Vonn 2011-02-11 14:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:
Funny why ppl still take it like that. I tested it right after the update and posted on alla: linky

Going from DW2 to DW3 with 8 dw on equip is 14% increase in dot.

10 double attack should increase damage in 4-7% depending on how much triple attack we have. So, taking thf is an attack starved job, it's not unlikely that berserk will help make up or even overtake the rest of the difference.
they snuck it in there? i never read any notes about in in the update info.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-11 14:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Any reason why wiki has not been updated for thf DW2?
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2011-02-11 14:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ringmastersword said:
If going for more perfect you'd want Emp+2 Feet, Alcide's Harness(+1) Body and the new evasion earring I forget the name of that is +7 and starts with Ph? Otherwise it seems nice.

Antares offers more evasion, Phyrgian Earring is the +6, +1 is the +7.

Also Torero torque instead of Evasion torque. and yeah, af3 +2 feet
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-11 14:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Khimaira said:
Asura.Ringmastersword said:
If going for more perfect you'd want Emp+2 Feet, Alcide's Harness(+1) Body and the new evasion earring I forget the name of that is +7 and starts with Ph? Otherwise it seems nice.

Antares offers more evasion, Phyrgian Earring is the +6, +1 is the +7.

Also Torero torque instead of Evasion torque. and yeah, af3 +2 feet

Evasion augmented mirke beats everything for pure evasion.
 Remora.Laphine
By Remora.Laphine 2011-02-11 16:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Any reason why wiki has not been updated for thf DW2?
Wiki took very long to update Crit Att Bonus 2 as well.

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Kinda depends on atmas and such but I'd say 7% is kinda high for double attack given double/triple attack gear/atmas/merits and possibly multi hit offhand weapons

The minimum triple i took as 10%. With the maximum triple i used, an illusory 50%, DA gain is under 3%. Mistyped that one.
 Phoenix.Hagino
user: hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2011-02-12 03:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Been duoing orthus thf/nin whm/??? for about a month and half now~ hes a joke compared to alot other stuff such as isgebind and azdaja to duo.

For orthus tank from the rear so you can SA RS. Moves a lot quicker that way and dont have to deal with some of his TP moves. Scorching lash is absorbed by shadows.

I dont really use my evasion set unless im duoing with my RDM mule that does not have access to higher cures.

im pretty happy with my gear sets.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-02-14 13:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried tanking /WAR last night on Briareus, and though it was ultimately successful, I didn't care for it - perhaps because I've been a Thief/Ninja for almost eight years now but taking hits made me extremely anxious. I had the HP for it, and though Zombie was really the only danger during the fight, taking those extra hits while Zombified, instead of shadows absorbing them, was begging chance to face-plant me. I don't mind /WAR on the Ironclads, because shadows are mostly irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure I prefer slow and steady, rather than whatever bonus /WAR could've offered (Didn't notice an increase in damage with Zerk on, for instance) on monsters that can possibly kill me.

Don't get me wrong, I'll try again and on different monsters, but I wasn't satisfied with the first run through.
 Phoenix.Hagino
user: hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2011-02-14 20:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

/nin allows for mages to be a little sloppy.

/war does not.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-14 20:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said:
I tried tanking /WAR last night on Briareus, and though it was ultimately successful, I didn't care for it - perhaps because I've been a Thief/Ninja for almost eight years now but taking hits made me extremely anxious. I had the HP for it, and though Zombie was really the only danger during the fight, taking those extra hits while Zombified, instead of shadows absorbing them, was begging chance to face-plant me. I don't mind /WAR on the Ironclads, because shadows are mostly irrelevant, but I'm pretty sure I prefer slow and steady, rather than whatever bonus /WAR could've offered (Didn't notice an increase in damage with Zerk on, for instance) on monsters that can possibly kill me.

Don't get me wrong, I'll try again and on different monsters, but I wasn't satisfied with the first run through.
yeah i think /war is mostly useful for red procs. /nin still offers a lot like higher dw tier and subtle blow, plus shadows. i usually did briareus with thf/war + whm for th and red while farming pop sets. zombie's not too bad with kiting, flash, slow/para, and his low acc.
 Shiva.Falseliberty
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Falseliberty 2011-02-15 01:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

bleh silly me i never thought about /war for red procs
what does that open for thf? sword and club? missing anything?
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-15 02:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

raiden with pitchfork, both staff if you have merits + hachimaki
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-02-15 02:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Between the two though I'd rather have whm go /war since it doesn't require any extra merits/gear and you still get the same number of procs. Whm can use sea daughter for the subjob based weapons too since it's annoying trying to hit stuff with them, lol.

And if you go /nin and have merits+justice, you can use jinpu! More red procs!
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-15 03:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

uh i think all whm/war would get is raiden, and i didn't have the pitchfork.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-02-15 05:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

whm/war gets sword too which are /war only procs for thf. And of course it's easier for a whm to do staff then a thf.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-15 05:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

oh ***i didn't realize there were swords whm could equip, thanks. and yeah i only mentioned staff because someone asked what /war did for thf.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-02-15 05:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Good old event/trainee weapons, lol. Now if only they'd make a GS and scythe...
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-02-15 05:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

looking back, thf/war and whm/sam probably would have been best... so many times when i was almost done, the trigger was jinpu D: