Estoquer's Sayon & Gantherots
 Asura.Tamoa
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-10 07:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said:
Most of the RDM's I see stating they never run out of mp in abyssea....also don't seem to know how to maintain a haste rotation.

I've had convert merited for years and I don't see that changing. While I have 2+ refresh atmas why would I use both when I can add a mab atma or cure potency atma or something else? If you never even get close to running out of mp maybe you should look at your party set-up and/or your play style.

Personally, I'm support rdm for the most part, and I usually find myself in the tank party. If that's the case, or if I'm main healing a party, I use MM and another refresh atma, which gives me a total of 24 mp/tick refresh in idle gear. And I have yet to convert in a situation like that after getting the relevant atmas.

If you're in a similar situation and you keep running out of mp, maybe you should look at your tank/DDs and ask them to get a -PDT/-MDT set.
[+]
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2010-12-10 08:47:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Aramachus said:
@dasva
100k is a lot of gil depending on the usefulness of the item. Id spend it any day for a novio earring but not for a morion earring. again it depends on how much money you have but if you do not spend hours farming regularly or regularly participate in endgame ls events, it is not nothing.
Shout for 2 other people and go do a BCNM20+ most of those net you a minimum of 25k-50k from npc items. 100k is not that bad to get. If you just don't want to spend the gill on it yet because you are working towards a better piece then say that, but 100k being to much is no where near an excuse. Heck most gold pyrix items npc for 5-10k, and rings and armor you get from abyssea npc's doing seal quests. I made 260k just while getting my +1 rdm hat from npcing those rings from the quest reward.

Ramuh.Aramachus said:
@blazza
um wind grip with light staff, I actually intended to get all grips when they came out but realized soon that the inventory space wasn't* worth it for the marginal effect. so I ended up with a thunder grip since I am blm main for nukes and stun, dark would be probably better tho. anyway, the reason for those is the 20mp or I wouldn't* keep it so at the wrong moment Ill be wearing a thunder grip with an earth staff. actually most of the time since its my idle gear
new grips out, shouldn't be using old ele. grips except for the mp when u vert/prefight. I have never had a good scan by ffxiah it always scans me while I'm changing armor so I never understood why people attack someone for the gear they where wearing while they where scanned(which has only hit me once or twice in a compelte set) when you don't know what they where doing at the time.

Ramuh.Aramachus said:
@Tamoa
it is true that upgrading each slot by a little adds to the sum, then again there are items that just lift the job on another level. for blm that used to be sorc ring, novio, heralds gaiters. if you got those you kicked ***, if not you didnt. now if you didnt you couldnt do anything about it without those items, just move your damage up single bits with huge gil effort if you liked to. there was a pretty good standard of gear available and cheap just like 1INT below the expensive line. diamond rings, rainbow cape, weskit, demon helm... from there you could upgrade bit by bit to snow rings prism, genie weskit, demon+1... I personally thought it was worth it since I play blm a lot and solo so if the mob isnt dead when mp is out thats it. but it is was by no means necessary. get a novio earring and you will do more damage with full NQ gear over someone who had all the expensive bits but no novio. (I know novio is pretty expensive but the common way of obtaining it was attending events in a ls and spend points when killing JoL so was for most ppl treated like a rare/ex item so price didnt matter)
for the merits, vraelias merits are "not what I would choose" either but I dont mind really how others spend their time/merits/money/life :P everyone as he/she likes to

I solo all the time on blm, and I don't die die when I run out of mp when soloing because I never hit 0. I sleep, or bind the mob and rest up a few tics, aspire, kite it with relic body on(refresh spell aswell), or zone it. then finish it. Now I know this is a new concept, I know it sounds so good there is no way its been around for years, and I have had retard blm's with full af or full nq and novio's stand next to me and nuke and still are a couple hundred damage behind me not to mention they resisted more.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-10 09:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I ***100k... this is a rdm thread so you could go solo up in arms and get 60k between the gil from the win and npcables
[+]
 Cerberus.Jogiyat
Server: Cerberus
user: Jogikat
By Cerberus.Jogiyat 2010-12-10 10:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Could just NPC crueor armor for serious gil. I think people were saying 2M Crues worth of armor NPCs for clsoe to 5M. With all the Abyssea everyone does, should be easy gil.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-12-10 10:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said:
Most of the RDM's I see stating they never run out of mp in abyssea....also don't seem to know how to maintain a haste rotation. I've had convert merited for years and I don't see that changing. While I have 2+ refresh atmas why would I use both when I can add a mab atma or cure potency atma or something else? If you never even get close to running out of mp maybe you should look at your party set-up and/or your play style.
I wonder if I am talking to a specific group of people..it seems like most of the people that don't like convert are the people that only due stuff with an alliance of people(I don't know if this is true or not but still.) I often find myself in duo situations where its Rdm Rdm or Rdm Blm or Rdm + Random DD. Now if I wanted I could slow down my nukes and and just wait for Atma/Refresh/Temps to fill me back up.

or

I can nuke as hard as I want convert when I need it and then worry about using temps and stuff. It makes fights go so much faster when I can free nuke as much as possible.

If I was in an alliance only curing then yes there is no need for convert merits. But luckily for me my rdm is not used for that..thank freakin heavens.

TLDR: If you only do stuff in a alli yeah convert merits are a waste..but if you solo/duo/lowman then then are more than worth it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-12-10 10:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said:
Most of the RDM's I see stating they never run out of mp in abyssea....also don't seem to know how to maintain a haste rotation.

I've had convert merited for years and I don't see that changing. While I have 2+ refresh atmas why would I use both when I can add a mab atma or cure potency atma or something else? If you never even get close to running out of mp maybe you should look at your party set-up and/or your play style.

I knew there was a reason I liked this cat.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-10 11:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said:

Nah, Thats not accurate for all RDMs, most of them probably.

I Simply use Minikin + Beyond + ??? right now, haven't played RDM since i got my Third Abyssite, but with the above too, Even full-time Main-healing my party and keeping up haste cycle (Which admittedly is easier to do with Enhanced buff Durations ^_~) I've never had to convert, Ever in an abyssea party, honestly to the point when i Solo i forget i have it.

That being said, When i solo (Dominion) I find myself using Convert every ~20 minutes or so, But not enough to warrant meriting Convert Recast, and i certainly don't feel silly or stupid for not needing to shave 50 Seconds off a 10 minute ability just to be able to perform at adequate levels.

<This beyond is not directed at quoted person>

That being said, Its retard to call a RDM without convert merits "Dumb", in fact a RDM who can perform his tasks at hand without needing to ride his convert timer i would imagine is far from dumb.

now, moving on, I've put my merits in Ice M.acc and Thunder M.acc, As said earlier with Enfeebles these days its either Immune or it'll land, so i put them in what will be my strongest nukes @ level 99.

Further-more, Please note I'm addressing Inside Absyssea atm, With not only a large variety of Refresh Atmas at our disposal, including some that offer god bonuses to offensive RDMs a too (minkin), But Temporary Items such as Lucid Elixirs, Dusty Elixirs, and Lucid Ethers given to most RDMs through Temp boxes or buying from NPC, Its hard for me to imagine a situation in which a RDM Would absolutely need to convert.

I Can think of 1 situation, and that's using Chainspell, But then it'd just be Nuke Nuke nuke > Convert > Nuke Nuke Nuke > done (not accurate down to Nuke numbers), but even then, You're not getting a second convert off, and you'll have Meds to recover whats left.

TL;DR: Merit whatever you feel will benefit you the most, but please don't listen to stupid-*** who claim if you don't have Convert merited you're "Dumb", cause in fact, most of RDM Cat 1 merits are pointless inside/outside Absysea with our Skill correction atm, So they're all equally frivolous, and if i can be just frank for a moment, a RDM who needs to ride his Convert timer to the point 50 seconds is life or death, is not a very good RDM to begin with.
 Cerberus.Vraelia
user: Vraelia
By Cerberus.Vraelia 2010-12-10 11:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I was only using the armor for looks while I am not doing anything at all, and thus, was scanned at a poor time. And also, I agree, why spend a lot of gil for a HQ piece of gear just for a very small difference when obviously there is something far better out there?

And since, I don't have any Refresh Atmas whatsoever, I think I do fairly good in a Abyssea PT, main healing.

Yes, I also have a Haste rotation. I also have a Regen II cycle. Plus, I have Pro5/shell4 I cast on all my PT members, and plus some more members if they don't have the correct buffs that asks for it. And, if I have a PLD in my PT, I still take care of him/her too while doing all these buffs.

Also, if I am in a BLM PT, I don't use Refresh I, and I know they have it (/RDM)...but since I have Refresh II, I can make them better nukers by giving them a better MP+ Pool. And still I'll buff them up properly with Pro/Shell. I also give them Haste as well, to speed up their Recast Timers, and they actually are grateful for it. I even use Phalanx II on them (since they get hate like mad from nuking), and plus I do my healing abilities well even after the fact my MP is nearly down to around 200. While those effects are on them, I rest. I don't Convert. You never know when an emergency will arise and you are needing it desperately.

And I know, you guys are thinking that all of this is not necessary for BLMs. However, I take my RDM Job seriously. When I party, I like to overdo it and make sure everyone is very well taken care of.

Yeah, I'm not going to lie, I do some nuking now and then, but not enough for me to actually need Convert, even after all these buffs that I do. Which is what? Like, 800+ MP(normal Tank/DD PT) 900+MP(BLM PT)? And I still don't need Convert. And the Temporary Items (Lucid Ether, Dusty Elixir ect) does work wonders. I spread them out though and not use them at the same time. I use my MP moderately.

However, I do get the All Enhancement Effects from the Cruor person, after getting my visitant status. (I don't need this for MP gain, I like to have additional INT and MND)
Plus, I have crappy Atmas. I use either Echoes/Kirin Atmas.

It's not that hard to maintain a wealthy MP pool, doing whatever you are doing. But, I do agree, if you are one of those RDM Nukers, then yes, Converting is for you. But since I have told you what I normally do, I don't need it. It just depends on your play style. Mine is Healing/Buffing. Not Nuking.

Edit: Yes, I am working on getting better gear, don't get me wrong, I will eventually. lol And yeah, I do convert, it's whay SE gave us RDMs that JA. To use it. Don't think of me as being Anti-Convert. I am not.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-10 12:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said:

Meh until this update the other refresh atmas were arguably better than beyond anyways. I mean 30 mab vs 10int/mab and refresh or 5 refresh 10 fast cast and movement speed...

I really don't see how it is physical possible to ride your recast timer. Spending that much mp is barely possible on rdm without chainspell and is gauranteed to pull you hate... which is either something you don't want to do so hold off on stuff or you don't care and are kiting which will slow your mp use
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-12-10 12:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I use MM and Beyond for most the times i'm on Rdm.

However I do not have a 3rd Lunar Abyssite, and I do not see myself getting it anytime soon.

I am curious about MM + Ultimate see how that compares.

**I use Beyond most of the time to over come my Elvaan suckness when it comes to nuking**
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-10 12:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:

However I do not have a 3rd Lunar Abyssite, and I do not see myself getting it anytime soon.

**I use Beyond most of the time to over come my Elvaan suckness when it comes to nuking**

When i log on in plan on seeing how hard i can Blizzard IV some buffalo with minikin+Beyond+Ultimate.

I suspect something magical lol, And i'll let you know how that goes.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-12-10 12:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm 5/5 Convert merits with 17mp tick Refresh and I pretty much intentionally run out of MP by the time Convert is up, purely as it keeps me busy lol.

I think it's remarkable that you don't run out of MP Vraella if you do all that you've stated, but you really don't need to highlight that giving a BLM more MP means he has more MP to nuke with, that's quite obvious thx.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-12-10 12:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It will make me sad lol.

With MM and Beyond with Blizz4 on Marvin last night I was doing 1900 which made me happy.

If I had access to a 3rd I'd prolly use MM/ASA/Beyond or Ultimate but the combo of Ultimate and Beyond sounds hot.
[+]
 Bahamut.Xslayrx
user: Xslayrx
By Bahamut.Xslayrx 2010-12-10 12:51:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:

When i log on in plan on seeing how hard i can Blizzard IV some buffalo with minikin+Beyond+Ultimate.

Should do Ultimate/Beyond/BayingMoon i'm pretty sure that would do more damage than it would with MM. I wish I had ultimate, but I haven't killed Ultima..... :(
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-12-10 13:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Xslayrx said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:

Should do Ultimate/Beyond/BayingMoon i'm pretty sure that would do more damage than it would with MM. I wish I had ultimate, but I haven't killed Ultima..... :(

That set up would be good for max damage as you said but as shiny as that would be it's not a practical combo.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-12-10 13:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Even Beyond/Ultimate/ASA or MM/Ultimate/Asa for anything not Ice related would put up some impressive number.

I don't think I have baying moon..i'll have to look to see what it does.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-12-10 13:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Even Beyond/Ultimate/ASA or MM/Ultimate/Asa for anything not Ice related would put up some impressive number.

I don't think I have baying moon..i'll have to look to see what it does.
30 att 30 mab, get it from the gnole nm in La Theine.
 Bahamut.Izlude
By Bahamut.Izlude 2010-12-10 13:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't see Karb how you could warrant 5/5 ice and 5/5 thunder for nuking reasons, and than not understand the importance of having 5/5 convert. The 5/5 convert will let you do MORE nuking damage in a quicker amount of time. I don't even know why this has to be explained in a game this old.

And sure, maybe it's a fallacy to call RDM's who don't merit convert "dumb". But I can tell you what it definately is, it's lazy as *** lol.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-10 14:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Since I've gotten MM I haven't been able to come close riding recast and thats with only stop casting when I have hate and/or to run away from mob... I have hard enough time getting low on mp as is lol

Needless to say I have alot more important things to spend merits on.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-12-10 14:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

With the responsibilities I have in a general party, I need time more than I need mp. They should just give us fastcast merits or spells that do multiple things at once so I can be a little less busy and actually use that mp.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-10 16:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
With the responsibilities I have in a general party, I need time more than I need mp. They should just give us fastcast merits or spells that do multiple things at once so I can be a little less busy and actually use that mp.
I'd so kill for that... or maybe something that slows everything but you down in everyway for a small period of time
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-12-10 17:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Did MM/Beyond/Ultimate, Still never really ran out of MP until i 2hour'd (Teehee)

Strongest nuke i got off was 3100 Blizzard IV, Took about 49%~ of an IT Buffalos HP.

*** love it (And my Nuking Set isn't even amazing, its pretty crap)
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Server: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-12-12 12:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

This body would be great if there wasn't an easy to get +13 INT/MND one already.

This body would be usefull if magic accuracy was needed still.

This body would be useful if atma refresh did not exist.

Those hands would be great if Macc was usefull
Those hands would be usefull if some other easy to get with +7 mind did not exist
They would be worth it if augur didn't have +5% cure potency.

[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-12-12 12:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
This body would be great if there wasn't an easy to get +13 INT/MND one already.

This body would be usefull if magic accuracy was needed still.

This body would be useful if atma refresh did not exist.

Those hands would be great if Macc was usefull
Those hands would be usefull if some other easy to get with +7 mind did not exist
They would be worth it if augur didn't have +5% cure potency.

[+]
 Asura.Dtroyy
By Asura.Dtroyy 2010-12-12 23:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

^
 Siren.Froggis
Server: Siren
user: Froggis
By Siren.Froggis 2010-12-13 04:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Augur hands are only 4% cure potency. Anyway, the RDM AF3+2 set (minus legs) is really the best mix of potency and accuracy available, which you do need because casting para2 every 20 seconds isn't worth the extra 2 MND.

And as for the convert merit arguement... Shinryu supposedly drains atmas I was told... so by bye unlimited mp bar, hello convert.

Edit: I don't know the exact details of the "drains atmas" other than that it does. So, it could just be a single target deal or AoE or maybe the source is incorret. Just saying, 5/5 convert 5/5 ice is really a better choice than earth acc in my opinion.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-12-13 05:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Did anybody fight Shinryu yet? :P
If not, it's just speculation.
Buut, as Bukhis can dispel cruor buffs, I guess it might be true :P
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-12-13 05:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't managed to find a single scrap of info on Shinryu, but if it's true that you just need 9 zone bosses and 6 caturae then someone would have fought it by now, I just need the 2 new caturae myself and my LS isn't exactly one of the best ones around.
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-12-13 05:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Xslayrx said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:

Gimp ***. Some people in my ls need Ultimate, so I guess I can bring you along.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-12-13 05:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind btw, that while ultimate/beyond/bayingmoon will do the most damage (excluding PW's atma), you will also have no atma refresh. So swap out baying moon for MM, you'll lose 30MAB and gain 50INT, but also gain 10mp refresh.