Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-12-09 16:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vraelia said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
If people still have Earth elemental accuracy merits(for Slow to land) instead of Convert merits, please get Convert merits.

If you do your job well, you won't need Convert Merits. I don't have any, and I am still an awesome Red Mage. <---

Rainbow cape.
[+]
 Cerberus.Vraelia
user: Vraelia
By Cerberus.Vraelia 2010-12-09 16:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Cerberus.Vraelia said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
If people still have Earth elemental accuracy merits(for Slow to land) instead of Convert merits, please get Convert merits.

If you do your job well, you won't need Convert Merits. I don't have any, and I am still an awesome Red Mage. <---

Rainbow cape.

Gear doesn't make a player awesome at their job, only help with situations. The skills that a person has make the player good. Does this mean, you suck at your job for calling out my crappy gear?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-12-09 16:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vraelia said:
Does this mean, you suck at your job for calling out my crappy gear?

Nope, it means you suck because you have a rainbow cape :D
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-12-09 16:25:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok well sorry, that was alittle harsh, buuuuut, convert merits -> earth acc merits!
No issues landing enfeebs these days anyways :P
[+]
 Asura.Tamoa
Server: Asura
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-09 16:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Even as an advocate for Vert merits, I have to admit they do *** all for me in Abyssea. Granted so do macc merits, which is why I haven't tweaked my G1 setup.

I have 5/5 convert merits. However, I haven't used convert in god knows how long inside abyssea. I also have 5/5 earth maacc merits. Both sort of feel like a waste now, but then again the other options aren't that much better. And having the convert merits might be useful should I do some lowman stuff outside of abyssea. Such as when we did KB not long ago and I was the only healer till it was almost dead, I actually had to convert - once.

I'm liking the rdm AF3 +2 body and hands. And like others here, curious about the potency of "Enhances enfeebling magic effect".
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-12-09 16:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I duo on Rdm and with Beyond/MM I still convert a lot. I don't think that I am doing it wrong at all..it just allows me to nuke that much harder.

IMO with a good duo partner on Rdm even with +19refresh it's not hard to burn thru a ***ton of MP..just means the mob dies faster. I am a huge advocate of vert merits.
[+]
 Asura.Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-09 16:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Ok well sorry, that was alittle harsh

No it wasn't, not really. Prism Cape is cheap these days. That's one weird, sad, mismatched equipment set and I'm hoping it's the result of being scanned at a bad time.
[+]
 Asura.Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-09 16:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
I duo on Rdm and with Beyond/MM I still convert a lot. I don't think that I am doing it wrong at all..it just allows me to nuke that much harder.

Lol I do that too. On the rare occasion I'm low on mp, well that's when I use my temp items! I honestly can't remember last time I used convert in abyssea, at least not after I got MM atma.
[+]
 Cerberus.Najla
user: Najla
By Cerberus.Najla 2010-12-09 16:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:

IMO with a good duo partner on Rdm even with +19refresh it's not hard to burn thru a ***ton of MP..just means the mob dies faster. I am a huge advocate of vert merits.
^ What he said. My husband and I low man a lot, him on sam or mnk, me rdm and our 3rd char brd. I don't always need convert, but the days I do I'm glad the merits were there. I'd rather have the mp when I need it, than extra ele accuracy for something you should be able to land anyway.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-12-09 16:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tamoa said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Ok well sorry, that was alittle harsh
No it wasn't, not really. Prism Cape is cheap these days. That's one weird, sad, mismatched equipment set and I'm hoping it's the result of being scanned at a bad time.
I had this same thought..I really hope he is wearing NQ Af3 hat just for the looks or town gear..if not then..
Quote:
I am still an awesome Red Mage.
Is quite the bold statement.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-12-09 16:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ice and Fire Acc may be worth it since those are our highest tiered nukes right now.

But I can't imagine lolFireAcc being better than 1min+ off my vert timer.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-12-09 16:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Note Ultimate atma. 50matk and presumably 50~ macc for -20%~ MP (plus opportunity cost from Refresh atma); depending on fight, a RDM with Convert merits will be able to use this atma far more effectively than one without.

Quote:
Gear doesn't make a player awesome at their job, only help with situations. The skills that a person has make the player good. Does this mean, you suck at your job for calling out my crappy gear?

This attitude is perpetuated a lot; good players tend not to be miraculously awesome at playing the job but terrible at gearing it. A good player is aware of how to gear/merit/play their job and adapts well etc.

I'm not saying you're not a good RDM because I don't personally know, all I'm saying is your proclaimed ability is not an excuse to gear poorly.

Final rhetorical question is a horrible logical fallacy :(
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-12-09 16:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Note Ultimate atma. 50matk and presumably 50~ macc for -20%~ MP (plus opportunity cost from Refresh atma); depending on fight, a RDM with Convert merits will be able to use this atma far more effectively than one without.
Quote:
This attitude is perpetuated a lot; good players tend not to be miraculously awesome at playing the job but terrible at gearing it. A good player is aware of how to gear/merit/play their job and adapts well etc. I'm not saying you're not a good RDM because I don't personally know, all I'm saying is your proclaimed ability is not an excuse to gear poorly. Final rhetorical question is a horrible logical fallacy :(
<3 oh and +1
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-12-09 16:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vraelia said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Cerberus.Vraelia said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:

Rainbow cape.

Awesome players know how to play their job.

Part of playing the job is gearing the job.
[+]
 Asura.Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-09 16:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Ice and Fire Acc may be worth it since those are our highest tiered nukes right now.

But I can't imagine lolFireAcc being better than 1min+ off my vert timer.

Yeah I agree, even though the only time I seem to convert in abyssea is when I'm on blm, I'm keeping my rdm's convert merits for those oshit moments.
 Asura.Dajociont
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2010-12-09 16:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

sectum beat me to it :(
 Shiva.Shinneh
Server: Shiva
user: Shinneh
By Shiva.Shinneh 2010-12-09 16:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I rather do like the stats and the looks of the AF3 hands and body buuuuut.... One question that keeps bugging me...

Why does none of the AF/Relic/AF3 have Dark Magic skill+ on it? I mean one piece or another enhances every other skill, and Bio is a native spell on RDM lol <.< Just seems weird to me.
 Asura.Dajociont
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2010-12-09 17:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Shinneh said:
I rather do like the stats and the looks of the AF3 hands and body buuuuut.... One question that keeps bugging me...

Why does none of the AF/Relic/AF3 have Dark Magic skill+ on it? I mean one piece or another enhances every other skill, and Bio is a native spell on RDM lol <.< Just seems weird to me.

because we cap dot on bio 3 pretty easily with 5/5 merits. not much of a point to add skill to a job that barely utilizes the skill.

well, not EASILY, since it's 10/tick with 291~ skill. but 9 a tick is pretty sweet.
 Cerberus.Starr
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2010-12-09 19:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Only idiots don't merit convert recast
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-09 19:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Well until this update it was a bit better to set ASA atma instead of beyond anyways. Especially if you didn't have movement speed. And you would've had a hard time running out of mp then. I don't think I've touched convert since I got MM inside of abyssea let alone riding the timer. Well not on rdm... though even blm hardly has either
 Ramuh.Aramachus
Server: Ramuh
user: Aramachus
By Ramuh.Aramachus 2010-12-09 19:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

just read randomly into this thread and the thing that made me post is: if you like spending money on a prism cape, go ahead. but everyone who says you have to buy it is a complete moron. the little stat increase isnt going to do anything, face it. even less in abyssea times when enhancement buffs fluctuate through martello supply and you have a laughably +1 int over the NQ, spent loads of money on and are proud of it, thats just ridiculous. Know what? I still have black cape+1 on my blm because I didnt get my hands on a goetia cape yet and I just for style reasons like "black cape" better for a blm than a rainbow cape. same int value, stoneskin capped without, screw the 9 mp. If you think Im a bad blm because of that, then go ahead I dont care. high prices arent the most important stat in this game and +1 in a single stat doesnt justify "get it by any means"
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-09 19:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

100k is alot of gil?
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-12-10 00:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Aramachus said:
just read randomly into this thread and the thing that made me post is: if you like spending money on a prism cape, go ahead. but everyone who says you have to buy it is a complete moron. the little stat increase isnt going to do anything, face it. even less in abyssea times when enhancement buffs fluctuate through martello supply and you have a laughably +1 int over the NQ, spent loads of money on and are proud of it, thats just ridiculous. Know what? I still have black cape+1 on my blm because I didnt get my hands on a goetia cape yet and I just for style reasons like "black cape" better for a blm than a rainbow cape. same int value, stoneskin capped without, screw the 9 mp. If you think Im a bad blm because of that, then go ahead I dont care. high prices arent the most important stat in this game and +1 in a single stat doesnt justify "get it by any means"
That's all well and good, but what about a light staff with wind grip?
[+]
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2010-12-10 00:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I confess ._. I am a RDM with 5/5 ice and earth magic acc xD Was for old school HNMs times and I didnt changed it since then =/ I never play rdm anyway xD
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-12-10 01:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I rarely needed Convert merits before Abyssea came along. And now with the ever increasing refresh you can get inside of Abyssea from Atma, plus refresh II and numerous temp items I`m finding it even less of a must have merit and more of a merit it if you want to.

I agree you don't need as much macc to land enfeebles these days but you also don't really need to be converting every 5mins.

I had 5/5 earth and 5/5 ice before Abyssea and I still have those now, purely because I can't be bothered to swap out the merits to put into an ability that I hardly use anyway.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-10 01:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It was never really about needing Vert merits so much as what you could do with the extra MP they afforded, compared to nearly nonexistent benefits of earth acc merits.
[+]
 Asura.Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-10 03:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Aramachus said:
just read randomly into this thread and the thing that made me post is: if you like spending money on a prism cape, go ahead. but everyone who says you have to buy it is a complete moron. the little stat increase isnt going to do anything, face it.

Upgrading from Rainbow Cape to Prism Cape isn't going to make or break anything. However, the point is that if you upgrade every available slot, it adds up and it will end up making a difference. I'm not going to comment further on that person's rdm gear, I'll just stand by what I said earlier that it's confused and mismatched, and hopefully they were scanned at a bad time. But then again, I guess it matches their merits.
 Ramuh.Aramachus
Server: Ramuh
user: Aramachus
By Ramuh.Aramachus 2010-12-10 03:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

@dasva
100k is a lot of gil depending on the usefulness of the item. Id spend it any day for a novio earring but not for a morion earring. again it depends on how much money you have but if you do not spend hours farming regularly or regularly participate in endgame ls events, it is not nothing.

@blazza
um wind grip with light staff, I actually intended to get all grips when they came out but realized soon that the inventory space wasnt worth it for the marginal effect. so I ended up with a thunder grip since I am blm main for nukes and stun, dark would be probably better tho. anyway, the reason for those is the 20mp or I wouldnt keep it so at the wrong moment Ill be wearing a thunder grip with an earth staff. actually most of the time since its my idle gear

@Tamoa
it is true that upgrading each slot by a little adds to the sum, then again there are items that just lift the job on another level. for blm that used to be sorc ring, novio, heralds gaiters. if you got those you kicked ***, if not you didnt. now if you didnt you couldnt do anything about it without those items, just move your damage up single bits with huge gil effort if you liked to. there was a pretty good standard of gear available and cheap just like 1INT below the expensive line. diamond rings, rainbow cape, weskit, demon helm... from there you could upgrade bit by bit to snow rings prism, genie weskit, demon+1... I personally thought it was worth it since I play blm a lot and solo so if the mob isnt dead when mp is out thats it. but it is was by no means necessary. get a novio earring and you will do more damage with full NQ gear over someone who had all the expensive bits but no novio. (I know novio is pretty expensive but the common way of obtaining it was attending events in a ls and spend points when killing JoL so was for most ppl treated like a rare/ex item so price didnt matter)
for the merits, vraelias merits are "not what I would choose" either but I dont mind really how others spend their time/merits/money/life :P everyone as he/she likes to
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2010-12-10 03:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the RDM's I see stating they never run out of mp in abyssea....also don't seem to know how to maintain a haste rotation.

I've had convert merited for years and I don't see that changing. While I have 2+ refresh atmas why would I use both when I can add a mab atma or cure potency atma or something else? If you never even get close to running out of mp maybe you should look at your party set-up and/or your play style.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-10 07:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
I duo on Rdm and with Beyond/MM I still convert a lot. I don't think that I am doing it wrong at all..it just allows me to nuke that much harder. IMO with a good duo partner on Rdm even with +19refresh it's not hard to burn thru a ***ton of MP..just means the mob dies faster. I am a huge advocate of vert merits.

Same, now that we have Blizzard IV(which is great for expending more MP to deal higher damage in a shorter amount of time) I find myself verting a lot again. And this is considering /sch as my subjob which already gets amazing boosts to the longetivy of your MP.

All the new gear we get has insane amounts of MACC on it. Not only that, but also has good potency stats on it as well. There should be no reason why you'd have trouble landing any type of enfeeble with AF3+1/2 and some already existing gear. If you do get MACC merits, I'd suggest putting them into a nuke you use often. (Blizzard or Thunder)
[+]