Drk Zerg post Scars of Abyssea
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-11-02 14:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So as many people know, drk zerg is kinda dead. It seems like samurai/warriors can do far better damage in much faster succession than zerging drks can...
So my question is..
Lets say this is theoretically the best zerg build
*fixed*
and you could choose the best 2 atmas.
Would this beat decent~well geared samurai/warriors in a zerg situation?
[+]
 Asura.Matzilla
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-11-02 14:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/16302/bloodbead-gorget
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-11-02 14:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Matzilla said:
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/16302/bloodbead-gorget
lol thanks I fixed it ;3
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-11-02 14:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the 1% from the blitz ring better than 75hp? I mean you're not at the haste cap with or without it anyway. Not sure, so thats why I ask.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-11-02 14:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Is the 1% from the blitz ring better than 75hp? I mean you're not at the haste cap with or without it anyway. Not sure, so thats why I ask.
its theoretical, put better gear where needed.
Point of the question is, would a zerging Drk with the best gear outdo decent-best geared samurai/warriors? or will it fall short?
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-11-02 15:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

is there a HP atma? one that gives substantial HP?
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-11-02 15:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

There are two actually.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-11-02 15:03:47
Link | Quote | Reply

With Carbonara, hoof and SS you would have a shitload of HP.
But idk.. RR atma on a warrior with 200tp stored and icarus wing etc(that they would have in a zerg) would dish out a shitload of dmg aswell :P
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-11-02 15:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
With Carbonara, hoof and SS you would have a shitload of HP. But idk.. RR atma on a warrior with 200tp stored and icarus wing etc(that they would have in a zerg) would dish out a shitload of dmg aswell :P
yeah thats what I was wondering.....especially on sam...when their weaponskills are like 75% str mod...
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-11-02 15:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
With Carbonara, hoof and SS you would have a shitload of HP. But idk.. RR atma on a warrior with 200tp stored and icarus wing etc(that they would have in a zerg) would dish out a shitload of dmg aswell :P
yeah thats what I was wondering.....especially on sam...when their weaponskills are like 75% str mod...

Sam without Masamune is kinda lol compared to a good warrior with RR atma.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-11-02 15:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Sam without Masamune is kinda lol compared to a good warrior with RR atma.
still tho~ i don't think zerg drk can compete anymore
[+]
 Bahamut.Xslayrx
Server: Bahamut
user: Xslayrx
By Bahamut.Xslayrx 2010-11-02 15:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the only problem I see with drks zerging in abyssea is that there aren't any hard NMs that you cant kill without zerging. Most people try to get !!'s on the NM to. So there isn't really a need for zerging unless you wanna run in and kill a zone boss real quick without trying to get !! for better drops.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-11-02 15:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Xslayrx said:
Well the only problem I see with drks zerging in abyssea is that there aren't any hard NMs that you cant kill without zerging. Most people try to get !!'s on the NM to. So there isn't really a need for zerging unless you wanna run in and kill a zone boss real quick without trying to get !! for better drops.

Exactly.

DRK is quickly changing into what Ninja was years ago. A Tank with potent DD ability, rather than a true Powerhouse DD like Samurai and Warrior.

Not giving DRK any Critical WS really hurts their potential to compete in abyssea as a powerful attacker, since Atma of the RR is synonymous with the term DD now.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-02 15:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
rather than a true Powerhouse DD like Samurai and Warrior.

Not giving DRK any Critical WS really hurts their potential to compete in abyssea as a powerful attacker, since Atma of the RR is synonymous with the term DD now.
Unless you have Tachi Fudo, sam is pretty much dead as well, when compared to other non abyssean DDs (though abyssean weps with crit ws, such as victory smite and Ukko's Fury, I don't see Massamune holding candle to those).
[+]
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2010-11-02 15:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK zerging is far from dead, I'd say. There are still a number of targets outside Abyssea where a DRK zerg is still optimum. Dynamis Lord, Kirin, Vrtra, and Bahamut v2 all come to mind, and of course you can always find more.

Inside Abyssea, it's really the same deal except the NEED for zerging is greatly diminished. There are of course some exceptional targets for zerging (Smok, Bukhis), but they can also be killed with more standard setups with little to no difficulty. It also eliminates the hassle of having people leave the zone to get on zerg jobs, and thus losing lights, and also hindering your alliance should you end up doing anything else while inside (some people may need to change again).

Point of the question is, would a zerging Drk with the best gear outdo decent-best geared samurai/warriors? or will it fall short?

The answer to this question is sort of misleading, because it solely depends on the target in question, and the duration of the battle. Obviously a DRK zerg is only good so long as Blood Weapon is active and can be active. Meaning you only get 30 seconds on no undead targets. Would your zerg DRK deal more damage in that 30 second window than a standard SAM or WAR? Most likely. Secondary, it greatly affects the dmg output based on how well set up you are... gear choices and what buffs you receive prior to zerging.

Assuming the same buffs and a well-focused target, DRK will still come out on top. But if you're not going to receive six soul voiced songs, not going to be hasted, the fight is going to last longer than 30 seconds, etc... then yeah, you'll likely be out-damaged by a different melee.

All in all, the zerg DRK is still very much alive, though just like always has been a niche use tool. Not great for everything, but exceptional when the conditions are right.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-11-02 15:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

but it doesn't make any sense ; ; "Dark Knights (DRK) are powerful damage dealers who have the capability to further their damage by using select Black Magic spells." -wiki D:
 Shiva.Daimos
Server: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-11-02 16:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

but it doesn't make any sense ; ; "Dark Knights (DRK) are powerful damage dealers who have the capability to further their damage by using select Black Magic spells." -wiki D:

No where does it say they are the most powerful. DRKs have what SAMs and WARs don't have, utility; stun for example. DRKs also have a a superb tanking ability, whereas SAMs is mediocre in comparison, and WARs is a joke.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-02 16:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Sovereign said:
DRK zerging is far from dead, I'd say. There are still a number of targets outside Abyssea where a DRK zerg is still optimum. Dynamis Lord, Kirin, Vrtra, and Bahamut v2 all come to mind, and of course you can always find more.
lol'd
[+]
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
Server: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-11-02 16:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

what mobs do drks tend to tank? b/c when i played ive never seen a drk tank anything, snd survive.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-11-02 16:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mtmoogle said:
what mobs do drks tend to tank? b/c when i played ive never seen a drk tank anything, snd survive.
i've seen drk kite/tank KV
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-11-02 16:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

u can just pin KV on one of the big cactus and then is usally zerged. have u seen a drk tank KV w/o zerging?
 Asura.Matzilla
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-11-02 16:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mtmoogle said:
i've seen drk kite/tank KV

if only kv could figure out how to stay off those pesky cacti
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-11-02 16:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mtmoogle said:

I've seen DRKs tank mostly anything you'd put a PLD on.
Faf/Tiamat/Omega etc etc.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-11-02 16:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
rather than a true Powerhouse DD like Samurai and Warrior.

Unless you have Tachi Fudo, sam is pretty much dead as well, when compared to other non abyssean DDs (though abyssean weps with crit ws, such as victory smite and Ukko's Fury, I don't see Massamune holding candle to those).

In Individual WS power, they don't. But Samurai's incredible TP gain winds up making up significant ground in regards to matching Razed Ruin jobs, though by no means catching up with them. A Masamune Samurai can most certainly outparse an Ukko's Fury Warrior for sure, but I don't see a Masamune Outparsing a Ukonvasara.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-11-02 16:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see SAM as having incredible TP gain these days.

Most 2handed jobs can achieve 5 hits and Meditate is very minor.
[+]
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-11-02 16:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Fenrir.Mtmoogle said:
I've seen DRKs tank mostly anything you'd put a PLD on. Faf/Tiamat/Omega etc etc.
i cant even imagine that unless the drk is curebombed everytime third eye or shadows are down
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-11-02 16:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK/NIN has decent access to PDT gear, 2 Stuns and the occasional Drain/Abs-TP depending. Mobs should be Elegied and Sab Slow'd for total 100% Slow (even if before Sab update, Elegy + Slow) and then Paralyze on top of that etc.

/sam is same argument, just substitute Seigan/Third Eye and plan to get hit a little more on some stuff etc.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-11-02 16:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Sovereign said:
Obviously a DRK zerg is only good so long as Blood Weapon is active and can be active. Meaning you only get 30 seconds on no undead targets.

Not necessarily actually.

Souleater actually lasts for 1 minute. If you have the support and get cured bombed etc. you can zerg for up to 1 minute with souleater.

The initial 30seconds with Blood Weapon 2hr is nice, no doubt; however, it is not absolutely necessary to have blood weapon active in order to Zerg with Souleater.

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
DRK/NIN has decent access to PDT gear, 2 Stuns and the occasional Drain/Abs-TP depending. Mobs should be Elegied and Sab Slow'd for total 100% Slow (even if before Sab update, Elegy + Slow) and then Paralyze on top of that etc.

/sam is same argument, just substitute Seigan/Third Eye and plan to get hit a little more on some stuff etc.

Agreed.

Slow on the mob, and haste on the DRK too though!

Dreadspikes can be nice on some things too.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-11-02 17:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
I don't see SAM as having incredible TP gain these days.

Most 2handed jobs can achieve 5 hits and Meditate is very minor.

Meditate as Samurai main is fairly significant, but an xhit doesn't nescessarily mean "Fast" TP build (The pre-nerf Eisen Grip argument) SAM has a fairly Low-delay weapon that is capable of 5hits with relative ease, which proves to be incredible if you're smart. Also, Samurai can augment their own damage further by actually skillchaining. Gekko and Fudo are extremely skillchain friendly with other Hard-hitting WS's. And with Full hastes, you can go from 50% TP to 100% before the Skillchain Window ends, so I don't even want to hear "Lol, holding TP to SC" since that doesn't even happen.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-11-02 17:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I know, this would be the best zerg build

Unless they release some new NMs that are prone to getting defeated through zergs though I don't know how often it will be used again
P.s. I don't think having DA gear on DRK while using a KC would be a good idea
First Page 2